Favourite band before you discovered Pearl Jam?

Comments

• the beatles

i was also a huge nwa fan for a while but they never knocked the beatles outta #1

pearl jam did, #1 for life

became seriously enthralled with dead/phish after pj but they could never claim the crown
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    Depeche Mode, Metallica and Nirvana
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • bunnybunny Posts: 270
    before PJ, I used to listen to different genres of music.
    in the rock band,
    Aerosmith or Rolling Stones,,....and MR.BIG :oops:
  • kazuki.k wrote:
    in the rock band,
    you have good taste...except for mr big? :lol: i LOVE the rolling stones :mrgreen:
  • bunnybunny Posts: 270
    kazuki.k wrote:
    in the rock band,
    you have good taste...except for mr big? :lol: i LOVE the rolling stones :mrgreen:

MR.big was popular in (only?)Japan...
    i was 13-14 yrs..
    laugh at me :oops: :oops:

:lol:
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    I was a bit of a skanger back in the day - loved me some hard house and the likes :oops: But then I got into rock music and I was kinda obsessed with Red Hot Chili Peppers for a while before the PJ thing started - they played every year in Dublin for about 5 years, t'was good times! Then I heard Vs and it was all uphill from there :D
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • I can't remember that far back. I was 9 when Ten came out and was fortunate to hear it at such a young age...haven't looked back since.

pretty much the same. I was 9 when Ten came out, and 10 when i discovered Ten in 1992. They were my first real musical obsession, and probably part of the reason they've stuck with me so long.

Only group i can really remember to listening before that at all was gnr, but I wouldn't say I listened a lot, knew much about it, or really cared. I just remember finding welcome to the jungle and paradise city catchy.
  • I discovered Guns n Roses when I was 16 and they were my favourite untill I was 19 when I first heard Ten (that was only 4 years ago so I started pretty late - used to be a hippidy hopper)
    Mike McCready makes the energizer bunny look tired.
  • I don't remember!!!!
    “Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And it is something you give away.”
  • FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,049
    MTV Party To Go Vol. 6
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    first fav band was Primus... then it became AIC... then it was sort of AIC and Rush tied.

Now its pearl jam... and its never changin
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    M E T A L L I C A :twisted:

who still rank no. 2 is my fav bands
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • having a father who was a musician when i was born, i was exposed to many types of music in my house....i love everything....except country!

but to me....there is Zeppelin and then there is everyone else....they were the Michael Jordan's of rock...and nobody fucks with Page when it comes to the guitar!!

and to the people who had MC Hammer.....count your lucky stars i'm feeling mellow right now....or i'd be all over your ass!! :lol::lol::lol:
  • Bird889Bird889 Posts: 423
    having a father who was a musician when i was born, i was exposed to many types of music in my house....i love everything....except country!

but to me....there is Zeppelin and then there is everyone else....they were the Michael Jordan's of rock...and nobody fucks with Page when it comes to the guitar!!

and to the people who had MC Hammer.....count your lucky stars i'm feeling mellow right now....or i'd be all over your ass!! :lol::lol::lol:

Have you checked out the documentary. It's Going to Get Loud, with Page, The Edge and Jack White. Great movie. Goldfinger, who the hell knew?!?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
    slide in sideways, BBQ sandwich in one hand, cold beer in the other,
    body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "Woo Hoo what a
    ride"!
    Unknown

• DH62179DH62179 Posts: 312
    Tesla, then Led Zeppelin
  • ummmm

Van Halen
    Stevie Ray Vaughn
    The Black Crowes
    G&R
  • SpagsSpags Posts: 3,031
    Public Enemy.
    Nature drunk and High
  • t0mMyet0mMye Posts: 821
    Nirvana, saw them live in 93'.

After they ended I went back to my PJ fixation :)

Two completely different sounds IMO and thats what I liked. With Nirvana the music was first, lyrics 2nd...most of which made no sense but just great music to jam to.

Pearl Jam had lyrics 1st and music 2nd. Just as great...depended on my mood which I would listen to.

IMO
    Ten Club # 433608, when I am 80 I will be in the front row!
  • SKELLERSKELLER Posts: 165
    John Butler Trio
    State Radio
    Ben Harper
    DropKick Murphy
    Social Distortion

(Still are...)
    "I can't tell you how many ways that I've sat and viewed my life today." - Shannon Hoon.
  • rssesqrssesq Posts: 3,299
    DE LA SOUL

from the soul
    black medallions
    No GOLD!
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    t0mMye wrote:

Two completely different sounds IMO and thats what I liked. With Nirvana the music was first, lyrics 2nd...most of which made no sense but just great music to jam to.

Pearl Jam had lyrics 1st and music 2nd. Just as great...depended on my mood which I would listen to.

IMO

that's kinda backwards from most views....I'd say pj put both before nirvana put either one.
  • I am going to go with Counting Crows.
    They remain in my top 5 to this day.
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • TrixieTrixie Posts: 179
    The '70s - Elton John and Bay City Rollers (c'mon I was 12)
    early 80s - Boomtown Rats
    late 80s - Motley Crue (briefly), then Aerosmith and GnR
    90s - Pearl Jam and Tragically Hip and haven't looked back since !
  • shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,182
    Guns 'N' Roses. Actually I still dig G'N'R not Chinese Democracy as that was complete shit. But Appetite, Lies and Use Your I &II were solid.
  • veddertownveddertown Posts: 5,260
    R.E.M. (still no.2)
    Masters Of Reality
    Iron Maiden
    Deep Purple
    Led Zeppelin
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Metallica or Tesla
    Minneapolis 98, Chicago 00, San Fransisco 00, Fargo 03, Thunder Bay 05, St Paul 06 (night 2), Chicago 08 (EV) both nights

Don't it make you smile?
  • t0mMyet0mMye Posts: 821
    DewieCox wrote:
    t0mMye wrote:

IMO

that's kinda backwards from most views....I'd say pj put both before nirvana put either one.

I know...it's weird how Nirvana dominated without being able to do either lol
    Ten Club # 433608, when I am 80 I will be in the front row!
  • The doors
  • pandora wrote:
    Before PJ I had no favorite band really. I was 35 so in my late twenties early thirties I was listening to all the eighties stuff but also my teen favorites like Zeppelin, Alan Parsons, Joe Cocker, Supertramp, Janis Joplin.
    As far as 80's I liked Talking Heads, Madonna, Robert Palmer,McCartney, Chris Isaak, Cher.

I am a huge Chris Isaak fan actually!
    Formerly Brew Crew Tix
    “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    RHCP & GNR which is funny considering I was 9 and 10 when I found Ten at the end of '91. Still love RHCP not so much into Axl's screechy voice anymore though.
    all you need is love, love is all you need