Conan's Last Show

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,624
    lukin2006 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    the thing that ticks me off about your post and lenos statements about this mess is that he plays this innocent victim card. Leno was doing the tonight show for 11 years or whatever, having stolen it from letterman, let me remind you. Conan, whether you or I think so, is the current face of late night tv, whatever that is worth in todays climate. Conan moved his wife and kids, and his staff to la, literally across the country, then leno and nbc pull this punk move. Zucker, seems the epitome of corporate greed.

please...whatever you do, DON'T BLAME CONAN! :roll:

leno is garbage.

Well first of all I REALLY DON'T CARE WHO"S FAULT IT IS, but reality is Leno got better ratings. Also Conan insisted on the tonight show back in 2004, he got the show and did not get the ratiings, Leno saw an opening and got the show back, that's life. Why would anyone feal sorry for Dave, Jay, Conan or anyone that pulls in that kind of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

i was paraphrasing what leno said the other night about wanting people to not "blame conan"--as ridiculous as that sounds. letterman put it best when he noted that NOBODY is blaming conan, they're blaming jay. :lol:

you're oversimplifying this. conan's ratings were not good. but it took him a couple years to develop a consistent audience at 12:30. not sure why the same network that gave him that leeway before would automatically assume a whole new auidience would immediately take to his humor. part of the reason why his ratings were so low was because lenos ratings were abysmal at the 10pm slot. he had no lead in. true--his ratings were not great before lenos show started either. but that was when his show was in its infant stage and just geting off it's feet (it was actually still in that phase when nbc panicked this month too).

regarding conan insisting on the tonight show....again--over simplifying. actually not being completely honest. nbc told jay they wanted him to leave in 5 years because they thought his ratings would be slipping at that point. naturally, they wanted to lock conan up because he was really hotat the time and they were worried that he would jump to another network for a shot at a better timeslot. can you blame him? i can't.

so now nbc is in this mess that they created.

here's to hoping that this ruined jay's image enough for letterman to beat hima nd for conan to take a nice chunk of his ratings when he moves to fox.

fuck leno. i can't fathom his lowest common denominator comedy.[/quote]

Then why would NBC not just let Leno go. After they pulled him off the tonight they could have kept him off the air for 18 months. I still think if they gave him the same time frame as Conan (7 months) he would have left, 18 months thats a long time off the air.

As far as blame, ultimately NBC is at fault and only time will tell if they made the correct decision.[/quote]

that's some baaad quoting...
    if you are nbc why would you want to let him go if he was still #1 in ratings? so they kept him and put him on at 10....and it was an abysmal failure.

are you a fan of jay walking or something?
    www.myspace.com
  • MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    Neil Young playing "Long may you run" was easily the highlight
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    Conan is going to come back better than ever!
  • Conan wasn't Tonight Show material. The Tonight Show is for people like my mother who like bland bullshit like Leno and Carson.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    Conan wasn't Tonight Show material. The Tonight Show is for people like my mother who like bland bullshit like Leno and Carson.

excellent point. however it would have been nice to see him break the mold.

and i would argue that carson was cutting edge for his time. we're just too young to appreciate it.
    www.myspace.com
    saw this posted somewhere else and thought it was worth cutting and pasting here:

Conan: smart, creative, funny, classy...and knows when to leave.
    Leno: none of the above.
    www.myspace.com
  • Conan wasn't Tonight Show material. The Tonight Show is for people like my mother who like bland bullshit like Leno and Carson.

and i would argue that carson was cutting edge for his time. we're just too young to appreciate it.

You're probably right about Carson. But I know that during his last 5 years or so that his audience pretty much consisted of old people and I think that's why the "by-the-books" style of Leno was the way to go rather than the zaniness of Letterman.

People like my mother are the reason that Conan's show failed. When they first announced the switch in 2003, she said "I hate Letterman but I'm going to have to watch him because I can't watch that Conan." I'm sure there were a lot of older people who had that point of view.

Having said that, Conan's show also failed because of people like me. I'm a long-time fan of Conan's and always tried to catch his 12:30 show.....but when forced to choose at 11:30, I'm with Letterman.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    Conan wasn't Tonight Show material (and I love him) but he deserved much better than this.
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
    Conan wasn't Tonight Show material. The Tonight Show is for people like my mother who like bland bullshit like Leno and Carson.

You're probably right about Carson. But I know that during his last 5 years or so that his audience pretty much consisted of old people and I think that's why the "by-the-books" style of Leno was the way to go rather than the zaniness of Letterman.

People like my mother are the reason that Conan's show failed. When they first announced the switch in 2003, she said "I hate Letterman but I'm going to have to watch him because I can't watch that Conan." I'm sure there were a lot of older people who had that point of view.

Having said that, Conan's show also failed because of people like me. I'm a long-time fan of Conan's and always tried to catch his 12:30 show.....but when forced to choose at 11:30, I'm with Letterman.

yeah...arsenio hall made carson and leno look pretty lame back then i guess.

i'm kind of the same as you with my viewing habits.....only thing that would suck if conan is on at 11 is it would mean no more seinfeld reruns on fox!
    www.myspace.com

• yeah...arsenio hall made carson and leno look pretty lame back then i guess.

i'm kind of the same as you with my viewing habits.....only thing that would suck if conan is on at 11 is it would mean no more seinfeld reruns on fox!

Well I'm always one for Seinfeld reruns but I still think I'd like Conan at 11. A lot of times, I tune out of these late night shows when the guest comes on (unless it's someone who interest me...which is rare). So I'd like a half hour of Conan from 11-1130 and then I'd switch to Letterman for his first half-hour.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:

yeah...arsenio hall made carson and leno look pretty lame back then i guess.

Well I'm always one for Seinfeld reruns but I still think I'd like Conan at 11. A lot of times, I tune out of these late night shows when the guest comes on (unless it's someone who interest me...which is rare). So I'd like a half hour of Conan from 11-1130 and then I'd switch to Letterman for his first half-hour.

good point. this way you obviously dont have to choose. i found myself flipping back and forth the last two weeks to get all the good nbc/leno jokes.
    www.myspace.com
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    [q
    please...whatever you do, DON'T BLAME CONAN! :roll:

leno is garbage.[/quote]

Well first of all I REALLY DON'T CARE WHO"S FAULT IT IS, but reality is Leno got better ratings. Also Conan insisted on the tonight show back in 2004, he got the show and did not get the ratiings, Leno saw an opening and got the show back, that's life. Why would anyone feal sorry for Dave, Jay, Conan or anyone that pulls in that kind of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.[/quote]

i was paraphrasing what leno said the other night about wanting people to not "blame conan"--as ridiculous as that sounds. letterman put it best when he noted that NOBODY is blaming conan, they're blaming jay. :lol:

you're oversimplifying this. conan's ratings were not good. but it took him a couple years to develop a consistent audience at 12:30. not sure why the same network that gave him that leeway before would automatically assume a whole new auidience would immediately take to his humor. part of the reason why his ratings were so low was because lenos ratings were abysmal at the 10pm slot. he had no lead in. true--his ratings were not great before lenos show started either. but that was when his show was in its infant stage and just geting off it's feet (it was actually still in that phase when nbc panicked this month too).

regarding conan insisting on the tonight show....again--over simplifying. actually not being completely honest. nbc told jay they wanted him to leave in 5 years because they thought his ratings would be slipping at that point. naturally, they wanted to lock conan up because he was really hotat the time and they were worried that he would jump to another network for a shot at a better timeslot. can you blame him? i can't.

so now nbc is in this mess that they created.

here's to hoping that this ruined jay's image enough for letterman to beat hima nd for conan to take a nice chunk of his ratings when he moves to fox.

fuck leno. i can't fathom his lowest common denominator comedy.[/quote]

Then why would NBC not just let Leno go. After they pulled him off the tonight they could have kept him off the air for 18 months. I still think if they gave him the same time frame as Conan (7 months) he would have left, 18 months thats a long time off the air.

As far as blame, ultimately NBC is at fault and only time will tell if they made the correct decision.[/quote]

that's some baaad quoting...
    if you are nbc why would you want to let him go if he was still #1 in ratings? so they kept him and put him on at 10....and it was an abysmal failure.

are you a fan of jay walking or something?[/quote]

You know what I really don't care, I don't mind Conan, Jay or Dave, they all have their moments, it's a personnel preference as to what people like. But as I've stated before if they let Leno on the air in 7 months then my guess he would be gone, as it is they were going to hold him off the for up to 18 months, thats a long time in that business.

As for you lecturing people about proper quoting, take a look at an your quoting earlier in thread. Hope all people from Philly aren't like you.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Hope all people from Philly aren't like you.

really?
    suddenly this turns into a dallas/philly thing. can't people disagree over a tv show without getting all bent out of shape?

yikes.
    www.myspace.com
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    81 wrote:
    if everyone loves conan so much, why did his ratings stink

nobody wants to talk about that. it's all leno leno leno.
    I think because most Conan fans are also Letterman fans. And Letterman being the King of late night, he won out. I say, it's too bad this wasn't the time for Dave to retire, because I am sure Dave would give Conan his show.
    I find it interesting, just how many people take this Conan, Leno, Letterman soap opera so serious. I really do.

And dont get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with being passionate about something or someone that entertains you and makes you smile. Or being passionate about something or a show that just helps you relax and forget about everyday life for an hour or so.

I just dont watch late night television. I havent in YEARS. I have watched maybe a combined 3 hours of Letterman, Conan, and Leno, in the last 5 years.

But I guess I understand it a little....
    I was truly bummed when Johnny Carson retired....Truly Bummed.....

But that was JOHNNY CARSON......

These 3 guys just dont belong in the same conversation as Johnny Carson.....IMO
    I don't give a rats ass what you think, because clearly you don't have a clue as to what you're talking about with only 3 hours in 5 years under your belt. You are not qualified enough to have an opinion.

Everyone, please strike Speedy's opinions from the record books. Thanks. :mrgreen:
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    Speedy makes me laugh :lol:
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I find it interesting, just how many people take this Conan, Leno, Letterman soap opera so serious. I really do.

And dont get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with being passionate about something or someone that entertains you and makes you smile. Or being passionate about something or a show that just helps you relax and forget about everyday life for an hour or so.

I just dont watch late night television. I havent in YEARS. I have watched maybe a combined 3 hours of Letterman, Conan, and Leno, in the last 5 years.

I don't give a rats ass what you think, because clearly you don't have a clue as to what you're talking about with only 3 hours in 5 years under your belt. You are not qualified enough to have an opinion.

Everyone, please strike Speedy's opinions from the record books. Thanks. :mrgreen:
    :mrgreen: ...johnny carson? how old is he?
    www.myspace.com
  • so how pissed do you think beck was?? they showed him for maybe 10 seconds tops! and with and ego like his... :lol:

he must've pissed the wrong people off in the green room

i liked conans last lil bit about not being cynical... touching moment... bigger and better things in his future... hopefully as a writer
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,801
    Don't worry everyone
    remember, the Andy Richter show will be on next week with CoCo as his sidekick

woo hoo
  • aNiMaL wrote:

Thats just it...

I realized after a few hours...
    That none of these ding-a-lings were worth the time of day.....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Lost in a lot of this is the fact that 7 months into the Tonight Show job, Leno was getting LOUSY ratings, and the NBC Execs at the time wanted to pull HIM and give it to Letterman. He was doing terrible witha great lead-in (when lead-ins really mattered, and with no competition whatsoever. The only reason they kept leno is because it would have cost to much to pay him off and pay Letterman. At the time, Leno was distraught about losing his job, to the point where he snuck into a closet in an office when he knew there was a conference call about what to do, Now, to turn around 17 years later and do that to someone else, do to them what you very much did not want done to you, takes a special kind of douche. Letterman had the best line of this whole thing. He said if you're Leno, and you're being pushed out, go to ABC. Go to FOX. Come take my (letterman's) job. Punish NBC for what they did. Don't say. Okay, yeah. I'll be in the lobby if you need me
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    didnt read trough if this has been talked about but I find it really odd that the ONLY musical performance on their website is Pearl Jams. STILL after all the episodes I just looked back to watch more and the only one is pearl jams.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,839
    i unfortunately fell asleep during the show :oops:

Saw when Steve Carell was on and right before Tom Hanks i fell asleep. Next thing I know Jimmy Fallon is on.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,959
    Great show. Classy ending :D
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
    Letterman needs to have Conan on his show.
    aNiMaL wrote:

i totally can see this happening.

looking forward to the leno/letterman battle ahead too
    www.myspace.com
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    hope leno chokes when he comes back on
  • aNiMaL wrote:

Letterman needs to have LENO on his show. Could you imagine the awkwardness/hilariousness of that?

I could hear Dave now:

"Our first guest appeared on our old Late-Night show over 20 times before using his big jaw to force the beloved Johnny Carson out of the Tonight Show job. Most recently, you remember him doing the same thing to Conan O' Brien. Ladies and gentleman, please welcome back our old friend Jay Leno. Oh Jay......."

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Media execs: NBC should have kept Conan

MediaPost surveyed 129 advertising and marketing executives about NBC's recent late-night travails. The response was intensely negative against Peacock executives.

Asked who was most responsible for the talk-show debacle, which saw the network publicly humiliated by [Conan] O'Brien and gleefully ripped by competitors, 94% of respondents to the Round2 survey blamed NBC's management, compared to about 5% for [Jay] Leno and 1% for O'Brien ... 58% of the MediaLife poll respondents agreed on one point: "It was a spectacle like I've never seen before, proving just how poorly managed the company is. They should have never allowed O'Brien and Leno to let it play out like that on television."

Okay, but that second bit was just a tad leading of a question, don't you think?

Also, respondents thought NBC made the wrong decision by keeping Jay Leno, despite the network's executives saying they expected to lose money on O'Brien hosting "The Tonight Show."

A majority of respondents also said they thought NBC made the wrong decision: 47% would have kept O'Brien, versus 41% for Leno. Twelve percent said NBC should have kept both, if possible, by backing down after O'Brien voiced his objection ... Moreover, 44% of respondents said they believe the controversy will hurt NBC's late-night advertising, compared to 37% who believed it would have no effect. Nineteen percent said they thought the controversy would actually help, as in "any publicity is good publicity."
    www.myspace.com
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,283
    Media execs: NBC should have kept Conan

MediaPost surveyed 129 advertising and marketing executives about NBC's recent late-night travails. The response was intensely negative against Peacock executives.

Asked who was most responsible for the talk-show debacle, which saw the network publicly humiliated by [Conan] O'Brien and gleefully ripped by competitors, 94% of respondents to the Round2 survey blamed NBC's management, compared to about 5% for [Jay] Leno and 1% for O'Brien ... 58% of the MediaLife poll respondents agreed on one point: "It was a spectacle like I've never seen before, proving just how poorly managed the company is. They should have never allowed O'Brien and Leno to let it play out like that on television."

Okay, but that second bit was just a tad leading of a question, don't you think?

Also, respondents thought NBC made the wrong decision by keeping Jay Leno, despite the network's executives saying they expected to lose money on O'Brien hosting "The Tonight Show."

A majority of respondents also said they thought NBC made the wrong decision: 47% would have kept O'Brien, versus 41% for Leno. Twelve percent said NBC should have kept both, if possible, by backing down after O'Brien voiced his objection ... Moreover, 44% of respondents said they believe the controversy will hurt NBC's late-night advertising, compared to 37% who believed it would have no effect. Nineteen percent said they thought the controversy would actually help, as in "any publicity is good publicity."

Yeah, I'm pretty sure no matter what Conan does from this point on he's going to do well and NBC is going to kick themselves for letting him go.