Conan's Last Show

Comments

• lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    DewieCox wrote:
    81 wrote:
    you know, does the lead in really matter? maybe for the news it's important, but come 11:35 you are going to flip to the show you find more entertaining. people know letterman and conan and a lot of other shit is on at that hour. if they want to watch a late night talk show, they know they have conan and letterman to choose from and they know where to find both and they know which one they generally find more entertaining. Conan was not the answer. it's that simple.

I think the lead in explains why Leno got the best ratings all those years.

Then why didn't Dave take over the top spot the last 4 or 5 years, CBS seems to have the best lead in for the last few years. How long have they been number 1 for? NBC hasn't been number 1 since early 2000's.

Has it occurred to people that maybe those who are watching TV at 11:30 might not be the same folk that would enjoy Conan. If he goes to Fox he'll be on at 11:00 by the sounds of, that may be an even worse time slot for him. Just saying.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • lukin2006 wrote:

the thing that ticks me off about your post and lenos statements about this mess is that he plays this innocent victim card. Leno was doing the tonight show for 11 years or whatever, having stolen it from letterman, let me remind you. Conan, whether you or I think so, is the current face of late night tv, whatever that is worth in todays climate. Conan moved his wife and kids, and his staff to la, literally across the country, then leno and nbc pull this punk move. Zucker, seems the epitome of corporate greed.

please...whatever you do, DON'T BLAME CONAN! :roll:

leno is garbage.

Well first of all I REALLY DON'T CARE WHO"S FAULT IT IS, but reality is Leno got better ratings. Also Conan insisted on the tonight show back in 2004, he got the show and did not get the ratiings, Leno saw an opening and got the show back, that's life. Why would anyone feal sorry for Dave, Jay, Conan or anyone that pulls in that kind of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
    i dont feel sorry for any of them, but saying Conan got lower ratings is a huge oversimplification. there are many reasons for that.
    PJPixie wrote:
    PJPixie wrote:
    Yeah, I have a sneaking suspicion ED and maybe the whole band, will show up tonight! I'm going to head out to Universal in a couple hours. Should be a crazy rainy madhouse there :) YAY!
    oh cool! hope you can get in, and that the boys do show up!

I really doubt I'll be able to get in. The last few days the people with StandBy tickets have not made it in. And today being his last day, i'm sure there is no way. But I think it will be fun to head over there anyway. Kind of exciting. Conan has a serious fanbase. Kind of reminds me of PJ fans. They all queue up and watch Conan on their ipods, they all talk conan, they all have conan tshirts on! Good Stuff!

That might be the problem, Conan's fans are downloading his shows and watching him on IPODS instead of the TV.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• lukin2006 wrote:

Has it occurred to people that maybe those who are watching TV at 11:30 might not be the same folk that would enjoy Conan. If he goes to Fox he'll be on at 11:00 by the sounds of, that may be an even worse time slot for him. Just saying.
    i agree with you there, except for the time thing. personally i think its better if Conan goes to another network where he wont have to water it down to get the Jay old people crowd. its not like young people dont watch tv at eleven. :)
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,624
    lukin2006 wrote:
    the thing that ticks me off about your post and lenos statements about this mess is that he plays this innocent victim card. Leno was doing the tonight show for 11 years or whatever, having stolen it from letterman, let me remind you. Conan, whether you or I think so, is the current face of late night tv, whatever that is worth in todays climate. Conan moved his wife and kids, and his staff to la, literally across the country, then leno and nbc pull this punk move. Zucker, seems the epitome of corporate greed.

leno is garbage.[/quote]

Well first of all I REALLY DON'T CARE WHO"S FAULT IT IS, but reality is Leno got better ratings. Also Conan insisted on the tonight show back in 2004, he got the show and did not get the ratiings, Leno saw an opening and got the show back, that's life. Why would anyone feal sorry for Dave, Jay, Conan or anyone that pulls in that kind of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.[/quote]

i was paraphrasing what leno said the other night about wanting people to not "blame conan"--as ridiculous as that sounds. letterman put it best when he noted that NOBODY is blaming conan, they're blaming jay. :lol:

you're oversimplifying this. conan's ratings were not good. but it took him a couple years to develop a consistent audience at 12:30. not sure why the same network that gave him that leeway before would automatically assume a whole new auidience would immediately take to his humor. part of the reason why his ratings were so low was because lenos ratings were abysmal at the 10pm slot. he had no lead in. true--his ratings were not great before lenos show started either. but that was when his show was in its infant stage and just geting off it's feet (it was actually still in that phase when nbc panicked this month too).

regarding conan insisting on the tonight show....again--over simplifying. actually not being completely honest. nbc told jay they wanted him to leave in 5 years because they thought his ratings would be slipping at that point. naturally, they wanted to lock conan up because he was really hotat the time and they were worried that he would jump to another network for a shot at a better timeslot. can you blame him? i can't.

so now nbc is in this mess that they created.

here's to hoping that this ruined jay's image enough for letterman to beat hima nd for conan to take a nice chunk of his ratings when he moves to fox.

fuck leno. i can't fathom his lowest common denominator comedy.
    www.myspace.com
  • i dont really get this whole lead-in thing... am i alone in only turning the tv on when i know something i wanna watch is on? i sit down at 10, watch the daily show, conan, then colbert... bed time... get my news news and sports news in the morning... no lead-in necessary

i feel like this conversation is using language from 20 years ago... theres DVR and online shows now... if people LOVED conan as much as some are claiming now this would not have happened... not to start a fan-boy contest :geek:

i watched every night of the summer... and admittedly even ive been too busy for it lately... sorry coco... enjoy all that money!
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    The Steve carrel bit was funny. :lol::lol:
    norm wrote:
    The Steve carrel bit was funny. :lol::lol:

its a shame more people didn't see Up In the Air though :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Conan is a classy dude
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    Neil Young and Ben Harper, but no PJ :(
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • great ending! can anyone name all of the celebs?
    great ending! can anyone name all of the celebs?

in the band? .....ben harper, beck, a dude from zz top? wonder why young neil wasn't plaing.
    www.myspace.com
  • great ending! can anyone name all of the celebs?

I got Beck, Ben Harper, and Billy Gibbons. The chick looked awfully familiar. Someone help me out...
  • aspoonfulweighsatonaspoonfulweighsaton Posts: 2,026
    edited January 2010
    great ending! can anyone name all of the celebs?

in the band? .....ben harper, beck, a dude from zz top? wonder why young neil wasn't plaing.

I think Neil had to leave for the Haiti telethon right after playing.
    Post edited by aspoonfulweighsaton on
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    Hell of an ending, Conan seemed to enjoy himself, hard not to when you are getting that kind of money to walk away. Seriously though, playing the guitar on Free Bird with Will Ferrell, ben harper, beck, gotta be zz top (dont know for sure, not a big fan) and others...
  • Neil Young playing FREEBIRD? that i would pay millions to see.
    lukin2006 wrote:

leno is garbage.

Well first of all I REALLY DON'T CARE WHO"S FAULT IT IS, but reality is Leno got better ratings. Also Conan insisted on the tonight show back in 2004, he got the show and did not get the ratiings, Leno saw an opening and got the show back, that's life. Why would anyone feal sorry for Dave, Jay, Conan or anyone that pulls in that kind of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.[/quote]

i was paraphrasing what leno said the other night about wanting people to not "blame conan"--as ridiculous as that sounds. letterman put it best when he noted that NOBODY is blaming conan, they're blaming jay. :lol:

you're oversimplifying this. conan's ratings were not good. but it took him a couple years to develop a consistent audience at 12:30. not sure why the same network that gave him that leeway before would automatically assume a whole new auidience would immediately take to his humor. part of the reason why his ratings were so low was because lenos ratings were abysmal at the 10pm slot. he had no lead in. true--his ratings were not great before lenos show started either. but that was when his show was in its infant stage and just geting off it's feet (it was actually still in that phase when nbc panicked this month too).

regarding conan insisting on the tonight show....again--over simplifying. actually not being completely honest. nbc told jay they wanted him to leave in 5 years because they thought his ratings would be slipping at that point. naturally, they wanted to lock conan up because he was really hotat the time and they were worried that he would jump to another network for a shot at a better timeslot. can you blame him? i can't.

so now nbc is in this mess that they created.

here's to hoping that this ruined jay's image enough for letterman to beat hima nd for conan to take a nice chunk of his ratings when he moves to fox.

fuck leno. i can't fathom his lowest common denominator comedy.[/quote]

Then why would NBC not just let Leno go. After they pulled him off the tonight they could have kept him off the air for 18 months. I still think if they gave him the same time frame as Conan (7 months) he would have left, 18 months thats a long time off the air.

As far as blame, ultimately NBC is at fault and only time will tell if they made the correct decision.

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,283
    Awesome show!

Gonna miss you Conan. I just hope you can come back and beat NBC down!

Fuck you Leno, Fuck you NBC!
  • mca47 wrote:
    Awesome show!

Gonna miss him???

He will be on Fox in about 4-6 weeks.....

Right????
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    What's really funny about this whole situation...is that Leno is just not funny....In fact he is the furthest thing from funny and I hope his show sucks balls.
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    mca47 wrote:
    Awesome show!

Gonna miss him???

Right????

He said the terms of his buyout keeps him from hosting any show for seven months...
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • milarso wrote:
    mca47 wrote:
    Awesome show!

Gonna miss him???

Right????

He said the terms of his buyout keeps him from hosting any show for seven months...
    Really?? So for $45 million...........

NBC got Conan to disappear for 7 months....

Interesting....
    $45 mil for 7 months, not a bad salary. More than I am making, hahal
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Its just so maddening to me....

$45 million??

$45 MILLION??????

To just walk away and shut the fuck up for 7 months......

I wonder how much everyone on the board would give me, to shut the fuck up, and walk away for 7 months????

hehehehehehe
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

$45 million??

$45 MILLION??????

I wonder how much everyone on the board would give me, to shut the fuck up, and walk away for 7 months????

hehehehehehe
    I'd give 75 bucks

hehehehe
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    Tonights final show was great. I really enjoyed it. Conan was very sincere and he thanked NBC for the last 20 some odd years he's had with them. Conan really looked happy when he took off his tie and picked up that guitar.
    I could have done with out Will Farrells hokey act but as along as Conan enjoyed it........
    Yeah, that was Billy Gibbons from ZZTop but I can't for the life of me place that girl that will farrell was making out with (was that really necessary?) All in good fun. I enjoyed the last 7 months of the tonight show and I have a feeling Leno is going to receive a lot of backlash when his show "resumes" after the Olympics.
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • awilkinsawilkins Posts: 984
    It was Ferrell's very pregnant wife.
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    conan's a class act all the way. was great to see ben and beck on stage, and i had no idea conan could even play guitar! it'll be sad to not see him around for the next 7 months.

F NBC lol
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

$45 million??

$45 MILLION??????

hehehehehehe

But Conan only gets $30 mil. Everything over that is for all the extras. I'd be interested to see how much the "regular crew" gets compared to the writers and the other on air personalities.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Hopefully he gets another show with another network in the fall that kicks the shit out of the Tonight Show.. I hope NBCs decision comes back to bite them.