Conan's Last Show

Comments

• chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    well nobody can compare to johnny, i remember being so sad when he left, and even sadder when he passed. grew up watching him (my parents never gave me a bedtime so i was the only kid in class who knew about carnac lol)

but conan's awesome, and while i can't stay up to watch the late shows as much, when i have, he makes me laugh the most out of all of 'em :)

Before cable TV...
    Before we had 151 channels to choose from......

America had Johnny Carson for 1-2 hours....Each and every night...

And I guess, as far as late night television goes.....
    As the years pass...
    We realize just how fortunate we were......
    he's an icon, no doubt!

i've always liked conan's humor out of the late nite folks after johnny, off the wall sorta stuff.
  • I have often wondered.....

If NBC....Instead of Leno/Conan/Letterman/Fallon......

If NBC ran reruns of Carson for 2 months....
    Just Carson, 5 nights a week, for 2 months........

What type of ratings would it get????
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,817
    lukin2006 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    if everyone loves conan so much, why did his ratings stink

nobody wants to talk about that. it's all leno leno leno.
    I'll talk about it. Thats what it's all about in that business. Leno had 2 million more viewers a night than Conan. If Tom Hanks had a show on TV and the ratings sucked, he'd be yanked. I don't understand why people don't see that. It's not like people didn't know who Conan was, he's been on TV for 17 years or so. I think people who watch TV after the news just didn't relate to Conan.

those stations lost rating due to leno. and leno was given more than 7 months to get better ratings. when letterman was beating him. leno also also had shows with better ratings over the years. like friends, er, will & grace and so on. shows that used to get 20-30 million viewers. conan's lead-in's which was leno was 5 million. and the 12:30am audience is different for the most part than the 11:30pm one. conan was in fact doing well in the 18-34 crowd even before this all started.
    I miss igotid88
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    What's NBC going to do if Leno's ratings are shit for the next 7 months? His primetime show was a complete bust.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,817
    gleemonex wrote:
    What's NBC going to do if Leno's ratings are shit for the next 7 months? His primetime show was a complete bust.

he'll probably get the same ratings he had before. because people are used to him. and he's simple.
    I miss igotid88
  • igotid88 wrote:
    gleemonex wrote:

he'll probably get the same ratings he had before. because people are used to him. and he's simple.
    i think it might take awhile to get his ratings back, since he has destroyed NBC's late primetime ratings. he's not gonna have a strong lead in for awhile.
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    Did any of you catch tonights Conan? Hilarious.............Robin Williams is a crack head........barry manilow sucks ass.
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • I got a weird feeling that PJ or at least ed will show up tonight for conan's last show with Neil Young...That would Rock...
    This is Not For You
  • I got a weird feeling that PJ or at least ed will show up tonight for conan's last show with Neil Young...That would Rock...

That's a brilliant guess. I'll be Tivo'ing that shit for sure now. It hadn't even crossed my mind.
  • PJPixie wrote:
    Did any of you catch tonights Conan? Hilarious.............Robin Williams is a crack head........barry manilow sucks ass.

Conan was hilarious last night. He has been on fire the past couple weeks since all this shti with NBC came out. Robin Williams does resemble a crackhead. He's fucking nuts!
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    lukin2006 wrote:
    81 wrote:

I'll talk about it. Thats what it's all about in that business. Leno had 2 million more viewers a night than Conan. If Tom Hanks had a show on TV and the ratings sucked, he'd be yanked. I don't understand why people don't see that. It's not like people didn't know who Conan was, he's been on TV for 17 years or so. I think people who watch TV after the news just didn't relate to Conan.

Yeah, I have to agree with that. I wasn't sure if the overall late night audience (which includes people in their 50s and 60s) would accept Conan, and apparently they didn't. I think this would have changed over time, but how long until? Conan would do better on Fox, as the audience is younger than NBC's... whatever audience NBC has left. All Fox is playing now from 11:30 to 12:30 is repeats of Seinfeld and Malcolm in the Middle - well, in Boston they are.
  • I think O&A talked about it a week ago and I think they hit the nail on the head. When all the pressure was removed from Conan for trying to build his ratings, which I can imagine is more pressure than we can comprehend when dealing with MILLIONS of people, he was allowed to do what comics do best. Express themselves in an honest way with a little rage or as I call it, passion, about certain things. It makes for more interesting tv. Once that shit dies down, he'll go back to being a silly fuck who plays with his hair. Okay...we get it...you have floppy hair. Nobody gives a fuck. But right now, all 3 of them are going to be interesting because they all have a lot of hate in their hearts and that relates to the best form of comedy. Good honest rageful comedy. I like it.
  • Kenny Olav wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    81 wrote:

Yeah, I have to agree with that. I wasn't sure if the overall late night audience (which includes people in their 50s and 60s) would accept Conan, and apparently they didn't. I think this would have changed over time, but how long until? Conan would do better on Fox, as the audience is younger than NBC's... whatever audience NBC has left. All Fox is playing now from 11:30 to 12:30 is repeats of Seinfeld and Malcolm in the Middle - well, in Boston they are.
    but you also have to realize that Jay was still on before COnan. not only were people driven to change the channel before the local news and Conan came on, but a lot of the ones whos did actually watch Jay probably wouldnt stick around for another hour of late night talk show. Conan never really got a fair chance because of his terrible lead in.

Jay never had to deal with any of that.
  • and local tv news tanked as well during the same period, not just the Tonight Show, with many affiliates in revolt. That can only be because of Jay.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,624
    lukin2006 wrote:
    People can call Leno names all they want, he handed over a number 1 rated show, it fell to 3rd with Conan and even lost to Dave's reruns. Plus he asked for the show or he was going to another network, they gave him the show. If you demand something, you better make it work, it didn't work. Now you can all watch him on Fox at 11 in September.

the thing that ticks me off about your post and lenos statements about this mess is that he plays this innocent victim card. Leno was doing the tonight show for 11 years or whatever, having stolen it from letterman, let me remind you. Conan, whether you or I think so, is the current face of late night tv, whatever that is worth in todays climate. Conan moved his wife and kids, and his staff to la, literally across the country, then leno and nbc pull this punk move. Zucker, seems the epitome of corporate greed.

please...whatever you do, DON'T BLAME CONAN! :roll:

leno is garbage.
    www.myspace.com
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    PJPixie wrote:

Barry Manilow is 66....he looks creepy!
    I have often wondered.....

sadly probably not very good ratings, anybody that grew up with him is too old to stay up that late anymore (myself included :lol:)

i can't wait to see conan's last show tonight, he's been acting out all week. all bets are off, i hope him and his guests just rip the place down (and that ed shows up :mrgreen: )
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I have often wondered.....

sadly probably not very good ratings, anybody that grew up with him is too old to stay up that late anymore (myself included :lol:)

i can't wait to see conan's last show tonight, he's been acting out all week. all bets are off, i hope him and his guests just rip the place down (and that ed shows up :mrgreen: )

I remember I used to stay up to watch Letterman until 1:30am when I was in high school (mainly when PeeWee Herman or Harvey Pekar was on). I could barley function the nexy day.

No way could I do that these days...an old man needs his sleep!
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    I remember I used to stay up to watch Letterman until 1:30am when I was in high school (mainly when PeeWee Herman or Harvey Pekar was on). I could barley function the nexy day.

No way could I do that these days...an old man needs his sleep!
    me too! though i'd be just fine in the morning hehe

to do that now? well...that's another story :lol:

was always a night owl, kept late nights all thru college, still like to do it when i don't have to get up early in the morning, but alas.....booooooooo lol
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,801
    Knicks/Lakers on MSG w/PJ music being featured,than Conans last tonight show with uncle Neil and maybe some special guests

good times....... Only thing to decide is what kinda vodka I'm feelin tonite
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    you know, does the lead in really matter? maybe for the news it's important, but come 11:35 you are going to flip to the show you find more entertaining. people know letterman and conan and a lot of other shit is on at that hour. if they want to watch a late night talk show, they know they have conan and letterman to choose from and they know where to find both and they know which one they generally find more entertaining. Conan was not the answer. it's that simple.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    CROJAM95 wrote:

good times....... Only thing to decide is what kinda bourbon I'm feelin tonite

fixed
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Yeah, I have a sneaking suspicion ED and maybe the whole band, will show up tonight! I'm going to head out to Universal in a couple hours. Should be a crazy rainy madhouse there :) YAY!

PJPixie wrote:
    Yeah, I have a sneaking suspicion ED and maybe the whole band, will show up tonight! I'm going to head out to Universal in a couple hours. Should be a crazy rainy madhouse there :) YAY!
    oh cool! hope you can get in, and that the boys do show up!
    PJPixie wrote:

I really doubt I'll be able to get in. The last few days the people with StandBy tickets have not made it in. And today being his last day, i'm sure there is no way. But I think it will be fun to head over there anyway. Kind of exciting. Conan has a serious fanbase. Kind of reminds me of PJ fans. They all queue up and watch Conan on their ipods, they all talk conan, they all have conan tshirts on! Good Stuff!

PJPixie wrote:
    PJPixie wrote:

I really doubt I'll be able to get in. The last few days the people with StandBy tickets have not made it in. And today being his last day, i'm sure there is no way. But I think it will be fun to head over there anyway. Kind of exciting. Conan has a serious fanbase. Kind of reminds me of PJ fans. They all queue up and watch Conan on their ipods, they all talk conan, they all have conan tshirts on! Good Stuff!
    gotta love people who are passionate, sounds like fun! makes me long for a PJ show now, been having live PJ cravings since i've been listening to more boots this week, boooooo lol

but on topic lol hope you see any sign of PJ showing up for the show!
  • 81 wrote:
    you know, does the lead in really matter? maybe for the news it's important, but come 11:35 you are going to flip to the show you find more entertaining. people know letterman and conan and a lot of other shit is on at that hour. if they want to watch a late night talk show, they know they have conan and letterman to choose from and they know where to find both and they know which one they generally find more entertaining. Conan was not the answer. it's that simple.
    the ratings decline of the local news shows that this isnt always true. its not like they all got really bad all of the sudden. i tend to just leave it on the same channel out of laziness if there is something half decent on or i dont have anything else to do. not everyone is a channel surfer.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,839
    I was hoping The White Stripes would be the last act on Conan, he's a huge fan.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    81 wrote:

I think the lead in explains why Leno got the best ratings all those years.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    lukin2006 wrote:
    People can call Leno names all they want, he handed over a number 1 rated show, it fell to 3rd with Conan and even lost to Dave's reruns. Plus he asked for the show or he was going to another network, they gave him the show. If you demand something, you better make it work, it didn't work. Now you can all watch him on Fox at 11 in September.

the thing that ticks me off about your post and lenos statements about this mess is that he plays this innocent victim card. Leno was doing the tonight show for 11 years or whatever, having stolen it from letterman, let me remind you. Conan, whether you or I think so, is the current face of late night tv, whatever that is worth in todays climate. Conan moved his wife and kids, and his staff to la, literally across the country, then leno and nbc pull this punk move. Zucker, seems the epitome of corporate greed.

please...whatever you do, DON'T BLAME CONAN! :roll:

leno is garbage.

Well first of all I REALLY DON'T CARE WHO"S FAULT IT IS, but reality is Leno got better ratings. Also Conan insisted on the tonight show back in 2004, he got the show and did not get the ratiings, Leno saw an opening and got the show back, that's life. Why would anyone feal sorry for Dave, Jay, Conan or anyone that pulls in that kind of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon