Darrelle Revis of the Jets is the best defensive player...

124»

Comments

• The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    tcaporale wrote:
    The Champ wrote:
    So, anyone still unsure? ;) ..wow..
    Kind of hard to disagree with you at this point!

In two games against Cincy:

Ocho: 2 catches for 28 yards
    Lord Revis: 1 catch for 20 yards
    :D
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
    jimed14 wrote:
    Charles Woodsen named NFL's defensive player of the year

NFL Defensive Player of the Year voting
    Player Pos. - Team - Votes
    Charles Woodson CB - Packers - 28
    Darrelle Revis CB N.Y. - Jets - 14
    Elvis Dumervil LB - Broncos - 3
    Darren Sharper S - Saints - 3
    Jared Allen DE - Vikings - 2
    There's not doubt that D.Revis is the best corner in football. Woodson is deserving of this award,but Revis is in a league all by himself and i'm a Eagles fan.

Exactly how I feel as well. Best cover corner in the league without question and in my opinion the best defensive player, but Woodson is deserving of the award, especially given his reputation, longevity, and flashy stats....the fact that Revis received that many votes without the flashy stats is surprising, as usually writers don't know dick....except of course the USA Today writers who awarded Revis with the award, they know their shit ;) ....just kidding, this was never about the award, for me anyway..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    It's 'defensive' player of the year, not 'cornerback' of the year. Woodson was overall superior as a defender: 9 int's vs. 6 int's. 3 td's vs. 1 td. 4 ffum vs. 1 ffum. 74 tackles vs. 54 tackles. 2 sacks vs. 0 sacks.

You can say Revis's lack of stats is due to QB's avoiding him, and that is very valid, but also very subjective and difficult to measure. The respect he's gained obviously puts him in the running, but you can't argue with Woodson's all around stats and all around play. Put in the fact that he's 10 years older than Revis, had to adjust to a new defensive scheme this year and Al Harris, the other top GB corner went down halfway through the season and it's even more clear Woodson's season was more special.
    revis is in a D where he doesn't have to do the things like woodson does. Ryan allows a different player to blitz every down. Revis's name doesn't come up a lot cause ryan doesn't want him to blitz. If you asked revis to blitz I'm sure he would and would do it good and better than any cb in this game.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• As a Pats fan, I concede that Revis is scary as hell. He's awesome and has an amazing future ahead. However, Chuck Woodson helped redefine what a defensive playmaker is. He has better numbers than Revis and yes, this is absolutely a by-product of the defense he plays in, but in the words of Bill, "It is what it is".
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    It's 'defensive' player of the year, not 'cornerback' of the year. Woodson was overall superior as a defender: 9 int's vs. 6 int's. 3 td's vs. 1 td. 4 ffum vs. 1 ffum. 74 tackles vs. 54 tackles. 2 sacks vs. 0 sacks.

You can say Revis's lack of stats is due to QB's avoiding him, and that is very valid, but also very subjective and difficult to measure. The respect he's gained obviously puts him in the running, but you can't argue with Woodson's all around stats and all around play. Put in the fact that he's 10 years older than Revis, had to adjust to a new defensive scheme this year and Al Harris, the other top GB corner went down halfway through the season and it's even more clear Woodson's season was more special.

For me, this was never about the award...I made this thread on a Thursday night after a game in the beginning of December when I was drunk and praising our lord and savior Darrelle Revis ;) ....anyway, here is Rex Ryan's reaction:

“I wasn't going to comment on it," Ryan said, "but I would like to congratulate the people that voted for Darrelle Revis. These guys obviously really know the game. And you've got to look at all the numbers, not just a number about this, or this stat or that stat.

"A number I think is interesting would be eight. And, no, that's not the amount of touchdown passes Green Bay gave up against Arizona. That is the number of touchdown passes we gave up all season. And the biggest reason for that is Darrelle Revis.”

Ryan was poking fun at a Packers defense that was torched Sunday for 51 points and 531 yards in a loss to the Cardinals. The Jets and their NFL-leading defense are still alive and headed to San Diego after a 24-14 wild-card win in Cincinnati.

"There's plenty of things to look at,” Ryan said. “We had the No. 1 defense in the National Football League, by 35 yards a game. We were No. 1 in scoring ... basically 187 points is all the defense gave up all season. That might be a consideration for NFL Defensive Player of the Year. And it really was for the people that voted for Darrelle Revis. I tip my hat to them because they really know the game. That's all I'm going to say about it."

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/jet ... 0#comments

Of course Revis was all class as per usual...simply congratulated Woodson and said his priority is on San Diego..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    metsfan wrote:
    Ryan allows a different player to blitz every down. Revis's name doesn't come up a lot cause ryan doesn't want him to blitz. If you asked revis to blitz I'm sure he would and would do it good and better than any cb in this game.

'Why would I blitz the best cover corner in the league?'
    --Rex Ryan
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    The Champ wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    Ryan allows a different player to blitz every down. Revis's name doesn't come up a lot cause ryan doesn't want him to blitz. If you asked revis to blitz I'm sure he would and would do it good and better than any cb in this game.

'Why would I blitz the best cover corner in the league?'
    --Rex Ryan
    exactly

How often did you see deion blitz in a game. Maybe once or twice.

Revis will go out this week and shut down jackson and be on step closer to da real bling.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Revis is just a more physical Deion Sanders...who can tackle.

He shuts his assignment down. Period.