Darrelle Revis of the Jets is the best defensive player...

Comments

• The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Being able to watch Woodesn every week is such a treat. He's just everywhere on the field and making big plays. Alot of Packer fans thought he was kinda washed up when he came to Green Bay. But he has proved and showed that he has alot more left in him. If he doesn't win on well but we shall see. Besides the whole Packer's defense is a joy to watch. You just feel they are going make a big play when needed. Lost to the Steelers on a last catch. But I don't think anybody could have defended that pass.

Awesome, glad you were able to enjoy his play. Again, don't worry, the writers who don't get to see Woodson or Revis every week will simply vote via the sexy stats, so your guy should win....I can take solace in the fact that Revis is the best coverage man, and has the potential to be the all-time best....think about it this way, obviously Revis could do everything that Woodson does if given the same scheme etc., but could Woodson really do what Revis has done against Moss twice, Terrell Owens twice, Andre Johnson, Chad etc....no disrespect, just a different level in terms of man-to-man coverage..

I guess they have different roles to play within their respective schemes...I mean, Revis is not meant to be 'everywhere on the field,' he strictly man-to-man blankets the elite receivers in the game, completely taking them out of the picture, which allows for various defensive flexibility..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
    metsfan wrote:
    its spelled deion not dion

Just sayin

For a second there I thought you were correcting a grammatical error, which would be beyond ironic...but then I realized you just had a gripe with the incorrect spelling of a certain individual's name, which really doesn't matter...anyway, you meant to type 'it's,' not 'its,' just saying...
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • The Champ wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

Just sayin

For a second there I thought you were correcting a grammatical error, which would be beyond ironic...but then I realized you just had a gripe with the incorrect spelling of a certain individual's name, which really doesn't matter...anyway, you meant to type 'it's,' not 'its,' just saying...

champ is correct, you were using a contraction and not the possessive...
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    The Champ wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

Just sayin

champ is correct, you were using a contraction and not the possessive...

I just can't believe he pointed out that I spelled some fucker's name wrong....seriously, that's a common mistake as name spelling vary..just sounded the shit out and everyone knew who I was referring to....from now on, I'm going to correct Metsy's grammatical errors....oh wait, I'd rather kill myself ;) ..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    metsfan wrote:
    Revis also plays on the #1 ranked D
    Woodson does not
    (Revis as the best shut down corner is still not as valuable as a healthy Polamalu.)

I'll just quote this part as I don't know why you are crying about anything else (i've been a fucking Met and Jet fan since 88 with no championships, and you have won two this decade)....yes, arguably Polamalu is more important to the Steelers than Revis is to the Jets....with that said, thanks for the acknowledgment..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • The Champ wrote:
    Being able to watch Woodesn every week is such a treat. He's just everywhere on the field and making big plays. Alot of Packer fans thought he was kinda washed up when he came to Green Bay. But he has proved and showed that he has alot more left in him. If he doesn't win on well but we shall see. Besides the whole Packer's defense is a joy to watch. You just feel they are going make a big play when needed. Lost to the Steelers on a last catch. But I don't think anybody could have defended that pass.

Awesome, glad you were able to enjoy his play. Again, don't worry, the writers who don't get to see Woodson or Revis every week will simply vote via the sexy stats, so your guy should win....I can take solace in the fact that Revis is the best coverage man, and has the potential to be the all-time best....think about it this way, obviously Revis could do everything that Woodson does if given the same scheme etc., but could Woodson really do what Revis has done against Moss twice, Terrell Owens twice, Andre Johnson, Chad etc....no disrespect, just a different level in terms of man-to-man coverage..

I guess they have different roles to play within their respective schemes...I mean, Revis is not meant to be 'everywhere on the field,' he strictly man-to-man blankets the elite receivers in the game, completely taking them out of the picture, which allows for various defensive flexibility..

No worries and no disrespect taken by your comments. :)

I think Woodsen could have covered those names you said. Who knows but I do know that when we lost Harris and a few other guys Woodsen stepped up huge. Helping out the younger guys and making plays all over the field. He is a perfect piece to the Packer's defense and will be so until he is done playing. He was interviewed saying how much he enjoys GB and the tradition they have. Woodsen is a class player all around. Dam glad he's a Green Bay Packer. I know this thread is just about the best defensive player. But dam the Packer's are gonna be fun to watch in the playoffs. Sorry I'm just so excited. Hope my bubble doesn't bust on Sunday. hehe :D
    The Champ wrote:

No worries and no disrespect taken by your comments. :)

I think Woodsen could have covered those names you said. Who knows but I do know that when we lost Harris and a few other guys Woodsen stepped up huge. Helping out the younger guys and making plays all over the field. He is a perfect piece to the Packer's defense and will be so until he is done playing. He was interviewed saying how much he enjoys GB and the tradition they have. Woodsen is a class player all around. Dam glad he's a Green Bay Packer. I know this thread is just about the best defensive player. But dam the Packer's are gonna be fun to watch in the playoffs. Sorry I'm just so excited. Hope my bubble doesn't bust on Sunday. hehe :D

No, no..please this thread has evolved..this thread is about who is the best cover man ;) ....just give me that Revis is a better coverage man than Woodson.....I really don't think there is a legitimate dispute in that department at all...unless you're saying that Woodson could have kept every single elite receiver named to under 35 yards....please, come on, that's an insult to the game...it's not possible..I'll give you best defensive player, but best pure man-to-man cover is not even in question at this point.....
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Nah I'll take Woodson anyday. ;)
    Nah I'll take Woodson anyday. ;)

Fair enough, but still Revis is the best coverage man without a doubt.....man-to-man is not even close....is that what you are arguing?
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • The Champ wrote:

Fair enough, but still Revis is the best coverage man without a doubt.....man-to-man is not even close....is that what you are arguing?

At least we agree that Russell should have won the Million dollars. :D
    Hines Ward alone had 126 yards against Woodson.......please, this is an insult to Revis..at least in terms of man coverage..wow....
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    The Champ wrote:

Exactly, unfortunately the best player is often not rewarded ;) ....
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • The Champ wrote:

Exactly, unfortunately the best player is often not rewarded ;) ....[/quote]

Ohhhhhhhh that was a good one. I set myself up for that one. hehehehe :D
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    The Champ wrote:

I just can't believe he pointed out that I spelled some fucker's name wrong....seriously, that's a common mistake as name spelling vary..just sounded the shit out and everyone knew who I was referring to....from now on, I'm going to correct Metsy's grammatical errors....oh wait, I'd rather kill myself ;) ..
    I was kidding dude. Calm the fuck down. Go take a chill pill or something. When you point out something said by the greatest db of all time, at least have the respect to spell the man's name right.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

metsfan wrote:
    The Champ wrote:

I was kidding dude. Calm the fuck down. Go take a chill pill or something. When you point out something said by the greatest db of all time, at least have the respect to spell the man's name right.

I'm calm...spelling his name wrong has no relevance in terms of respect.....you butcher the English language every chance you get, and yet I don't rip you for it ;) ..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    The Champ wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    The Champ wrote:

I'm calm...spelling his name wrong has no relevance in terms of respect.....you butcher the English language every chance you get, and yet I don't rip you for it ;) ..
    I do it cause it pisses people off on here after all these years. I'm not like most of the board members who do fuck all at work on a computer.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I did not read this thread, but I just wanted to say revis is a bad ass and behind nick mangold my favorite guy on the team.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    The Champ wrote:
    Valid points...and yes, of course stats and lack of can be very misleading. For example, Revis may never record a sack in his life if the scheme doesn't allow him to blitz...he is in the back pocket of the opponent's best receiver all day long as per his cover role....a lot of non-plays are impact plays as well but are not recorded as the ball is nowhere near Revis Island..I'll go with Dion Sanders assessment that he is the best shut down cornerback since, well him..lol....and Peter King's choice for D player of the year....in any case, both are deserving of the award...Revis is the better pure corner but Woodson had an explosive year..

That's exactly why I'd vote for Woodson over Revis, because Woodson can do everything. I pasted just a couple paragraphs below, but check out the link for the full article.

Packers’ Woodson Reborn

"But arguably no time in his career had Woodson consistently claimed the No. 1 spot on the agenda of every opposing offensive coordinator. When he played on an island, it was simply too easy to stay away from him. Much simpler to just sacrifice whatever receiver he was covering and go elsewhere....

Woodson wasn’t just a cornerback – he was an all-terrain weapon, capable of being moved from corner to nickel to dime to safety, all in an effort to best expose an offense. Finally, he was going to get an opportunity to attack rather than just react.

The strength of the 3-4 is often the complexity and flexibility it offers. Pressure can become much more creative. Coverages can be disguised. Blitzes can come from wild angles. And Woodson would be in the mix for all of it. A reality the football world was invited to see in a preseason game against the Cardinals, when he produced two sacks and a forced fumble as Capers began lining him up in multiple positions … on the same series.

By the season opener, players were calling out his number and identifying him. More often than not, you can see a quarterback come to the line of scrimmage and first identify Woodson before going into his cadence. Protections shift toward him. Run plays are audibled away from him. It’s the ultimate testimony to a player’s impact, conjuring his days at Michigan, when Woodson’s number – 2 – could often be heard echoing from opposing offenses and defenses as they struggled to combat his myriad of skills."
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
    JD Sal wrote:
    The Champ wrote:
    Valid points...and yes, of course stats and lack of can be very misleading. For example, Revis may never record a sack in his life if the scheme doesn't allow him to blitz...he is in the back pocket of the opponent's best receiver all day long as per his cover role....a lot of non-plays are impact plays as well but are not recorded as the ball is nowhere near Revis Island..I'll go with Dion Sanders assessment that he is the best shut down cornerback since, well him..lol....and Peter King's choice for D player of the year....in any case, both are deserving of the award...Revis is the better pure corner but Woodson had an explosive year..

That's exactly why I'd vote for Woodson over Revis, because Woodson can do everything.

So if Revis was asked to blitz, he'd be incapable of recording sacks? You even bolded the line in my statement referring to scheme..lol...this is getting ridiculous....congrats to both players for having incredible years....
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    Not that this means anything.....nor will the other award as they both had incredible seasons within their respective roles:

Jets' Darrelle Revis wins USA TODAY's top defensive honor

From staff reports
    New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis shut down nearly all comers this season. And in return he has honors as the NFL's best defensive player coming his way.

Revis has earned the Defensive Player of the Year, as voted by USA TODAY's panel of NFL writers and editors.

He garnered three first-place votes from the 11-person panel, and claimed the award in a close vote by one point over Green Bay Packers CB Charles Woodson.

THE HUDDLE: Bruschi says Jets more likely to make Super Bowl than Pats

Revis, in his third season, is winning praise as perhaps the NFL's most effective corner.

It's not just the stats of the Jets cornerback (31 passes defensed, six INTs, one returned for a TD) that elevate him, it's the suffocating coverage he delivered against some of the best receivers in the NFL this season.

"Nobody puts as much on one player as we put on him," Jets coach Rex Ryan said of Revis last month. "Every single week, he has to answer the bell. Not Champ Bailey (of the Denver Broncos), not anybody in this league, is asked to do what he does."

Revis has lined up against Houston's Andre Johnson, New England's Randy Moss, Buffalo's Terrell Owens, Carolina's Steve Smith and Cincinnati's Chad Ochocinco this season. And he routinely marginalized teams' premier offensive weapon on a outpost some have called "Revis Island."

He held Ochocinco without a catch in a 37-0, playoff-clinching win in Week 17, even after Ochocinco brashly said it was "impossible" to cover him.

Revis, elected to his second Pro Bowl, has eschewed trash-talking, however.

"I remember they get paid as well as I do," he said of his opponents. "so there's no trying to get into a sparring match or a trash-talking match."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football ... dpoy_N.htm
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    The Champ wrote:
    JD Sal wrote:
    The Champ wrote:

That's exactly why I'd vote for Woodson over Revis, because Woodson can do everything.

So if Revis was asked to blitz, he'd be incapable of recording sacks? You even bolded the line in my statement referring to scheme..lol...this is getting ridiculous....congrats to both players for having incredible years....

No, I think you're missing the point. How about this -- is a person that plays one instrument a better all around musician than a guy who can play multiple instruments, like bass, piano, guitar, etc? Please read the bolded part below, which says when Woodson played on an island, it was simply too easy to stay away from him and just go to other receivers. They call it "Revis Island," right? Well, who is a better all around player, the guy who takes away one thing, or the guy who takes away multiple things, like forcing the offense to audible a run to the other side, etc, etc.

"But arguably no time in his career had Woodson consistently claimed the No. 1 spot on the agenda of every opposing offensive coordinator. When he played on an island, it was simply too easy to stay away from him. Much simpler to just sacrifice whatever receiver he was covering and go elsewhere....

You have a point about the scheme, and it may not be the best comparison since we're not sure how Revis would fair if he was asked to do all the things Woodson did. We don't know if he's as talented a musician and can play multiple instruments. It's moot anyway since Revis won the award. He is deserving, no doubt. I just happen to believe, very strongly, that Woodson was a more valuable defensive player to his team than Revis...again, just my humble opinion. If anything, they should have both won and been co-defensive players of the year.
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
    JD Sal wrote:
    No, you're totally missing the point. Please read the bolded part below, which says when Woodson played on an island, it was simply too easy to stay away from him and just go to other receivers. They call it "Revis Island," right? Well, who is a better all around player, the guy who takes away one thing, or the guy who takes away multiple things, like forcing the offense to audible a run to the other side, etc, etc.

How about this analogy - is a person that plays one instrument a better all around musician than a guy who can play multiple instruments, like bass, piano, guitar, etc? You have a point about the scheme, and it may not be the best comparison since we're not sure how Revis would fair if he was asked to do all the things Woodson did. And it's moot anyway since Revis won the award. He is deserving, no doubt. I just happen to believe, very strongly, that Woodson was a more valuable defensive player to his team than Revis...again, just my humble opinion. If anything, they should have both won and been co-defensive players of the year.

Well first, that award to Revis was just the USA Today honors, not the one that is deemed more prestigious..though I'm not really big on the awards anyway....I believe Revis is the best corner in the league..though Woodson arguably had a better year defensively and was more important to his team....I'm okay with that and will still ultimately probably win the other award due to the 'sexy' stats....again, just the best cover corner is my beef....

Again, it's the scheme...It's not Revis' fault that he did not record a sack if he was not asked to blitz....obviously he can do everything else as well...though I don't believe Woodson could, and he never has, covered man-to-man with the efficiency of Revis..

"Nobody puts as much on one player as we put on him," Jets coach Rex Ryan said of Revis last month. "Every single week, he has to answer the bell. Not Champ Bailey (of the Denver Broncos), not anybody in this league, is asked to do what he does."
    -Ryan

"Why should I blitz the best cover corner in football?"
    -Ryan

Difference in defensive philosophy..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    So, anyone still unsure? ;) ..wow..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    The Champ wrote:
    Kind of hard to disagree with you at this point!
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    The Champ wrote:

I'm sold after that pick he had on Palmer while covering Ochocino.

It didn't look flashy or anything but the way he was able to stay in tight coverage and turn his head for the ball without losing his distant from Ochocinco is quite impressive.

Then the announcers ran a chart showing all the WRs, Revis held under 35 yard receiving. A lot of top WRs on the list including Randy Moss(2 games).
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Charles Woodsen named NFL's defensive player of the year

NFL Defensive Player of the Year voting
    Player Pos. - Team - Votes
    Charles Woodson CB - Packers - 28
    Darrelle Revis CB N.Y. - Jets - 14
    Elvis Dumervil LB - Broncos - 3
    Darren Sharper S - Saints - 3
    Jared Allen DE - Vikings - 2
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    jimed14 wrote:

I think it could have gone either way, they both played awesome last weekend.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    jimed14 wrote:

There's not doubt that D.Revis is the best corner in football. Woodson is deserving of this award,but Revis is in a league all by himself and i'm a Eagles fan.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    That sucks. Woodson is good but i'll still take revis over him everyday of the week and definately twice on sundays!

i'm a jets fan and obviously biased.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    It's 'defensive' player of the year, not 'cornerback' of the year. Woodson was overall superior as a defender: 9 int's vs. 6 int's. 3 td's vs. 1 td. 4 ffum vs. 1 ffum. 74 tackles vs. 54 tackles. 2 sacks vs. 0 sacks.

You can say Revis's lack of stats is due to QB's avoiding him, and that is very valid, but also very subjective and difficult to measure. The respect he's gained obviously puts him in the running, but you can't argue with Woodson's all around stats and all around play. Put in the fact that he's 10 years older than Revis, had to adjust to a new defensive scheme this year and Al Harris, the other top GB corner went down halfway through the season and it's even more clear Woodson's season was more special.
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young