Darrelle Revis of the Jets is the best defensive player...

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    I'd have to go with Jay Cutler.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Aero83_Aero83_ Posts: 933
    Haven't seen the Jets much this year I'll have to keep an eye out for Revis..
    Seen the Saints playin tho and Sharper is probably the best I've seen this year
    ...10/31/09, 05/21/10, Peru, Los Angeles
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    So a month later, and there is absolutely no question that Revis is the best corner in the league...may not win the award, as that usually follows the stats, but I'd take Revis any day of the week..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
    Via Chad's twitter...and the fucker better stay true to his word and change his name back officially as promised....snapped his 121 game with at least a catch streak:

@revis24-you've hurt my feelings shutting down my ENTERPRISE-ill be the first to say you're the best easily-round 2 Saturday- CHAD JOHNSON

about 7 hours ago from MOTOBLUR @revis24-hands down u the best in the game, see you n 6 days bruh bruh, try giving out maps next time-its easy to get lost on that island!
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    Revis held every WR in check this season. Sharper had an INT for a TD called back earlier this year because of a defensive penalty and he STILL set the NFL record for most return yards in a season. But, the most valuable defensive player on his team is.....CHARLES WOODSON.....check the numbers.

Woodson: 74 Tackles, 2 Sacks, 9 Ints - 179 Yds - 3 TD, 4 Forced Fumbles, 18 Pass Def
    Sharper: 71 Tackles, 0.5 Sacks, 9 Ints - 376 Yds - 3 TD, 0 Forced Fumbles, 15 Pass Def
    Revis: 54 Tackles, 0 Sacks, 6 Ints - 121 Yds - 1 TD, 0 Forced Fumbles, 31 Pass Def
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    JD Sal wrote:
    Revis held every WR in check this season. Sharper had an INT for a TD called back earlier this year because of a defensive penalty and he STILL set the NFL record for most return yards in a season. But, the most valuable defensive player on his team is.....CHARLES WOODSON.....check the numbers.

Woodson: 74 Tackles, 2 Sacks, 9 Ints - 179 Yds - 3 TD, 4 Forced Fumbles, 18 Pass Def
    Sharper: 71 Tackles, 0.5 Sacks, 9 Ints - 376 Yds - 3 TD, 0 Forced Fumbles, 15 Pass Def
    Revis: 54 Tackles, 0 Sacks, 6 Ints - 121 Yds - 1 TD, 0 Forced Fumbles, 31 Pass Def

Yeah..Woodson is a BEAST !

I always forget he won the Heisman in College as a DB...thats incredible
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers

The only defensive player to ever win the Heisman!
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    JD Sal wrote:

I know they threw him in on offensive plays once in awhile as a Wideout

But

He won for his defense
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    JD Sal wrote:

I know they threw him in on offensive plays once in awhile as a Wideout

But

He won for his defense

True, he did play a little WR....guess I should have said he was the only primarily defensive player to win the Heisman.
  • ArcticangelArcticangel Posts: 1,443
    JD Sal wrote:

"3/4ths of the world is covered by water, the rest is covered by Charles Woodson"

Yeeeeeeeah baby!!! :)

Revis is good, Sharper is good. I won't dispute those facts.
    PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    The Champ wrote:
    So a month later, and there is absolutely no question that Revis is the best corner in the league...may not win the award, as that usually follows the stats, but I'd take Revis any day of the week..
    +1

he's a true shutdown corner and you don't find many of those in this flag football league
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

JD Sal wrote:

Just speaking as a pure shut down corner, there is no one better than Revis. You seem to like stats..here are some more comparing Woodson and Revis:

Woodson against some of the better receivers in the league:

Hester: 4 catches, 90 yards, 1 TD
    Ochocinco: 4 catches, 91 yards, 1 TD
    Rice: 5 catches, 70 yards, 1 TD
    Rice again: 4 catches, 40 yards
    Roy Williams: 5 catches, 105 yards, 1 TD
    Crabtree: 4 catches, 77 yards, 1 TDCalvin Johnson: 2 catches, 10 yards, 1 TD
    Mason: 2 catches, 13 yards
    Hines Ward: 7 catches, 126 yards
    Houshmanzadeh: 4 catches, 51 yards
    Fitzgerald 3 catches, 17 yards

Revis vs. the elite:

Andre Johnson: 4 catches, 35 yards
    Randy Moss: 4 catches, 24 yards
    Marques Colston: 2 catches, 33 yards
    Terrell Owens: 3 catches, 13 yards
    Randy Moss: 5 catches, 34 yards, 1TD
    Steve Smith: 1catch, 5 yards
    Terrell Owens: 3 catches, 31 yards
    Roddy White: 4 catches, 33 yards
    Reggie Wayne: 3 catches, 33 yards
    Chad Johnson: 0 catches, 0 yards

All man coverage...this is why they call it Revis Island....and damn, just noticed 31 pass deflections as per your stats..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • JD Sal wrote:

"3/4ths of the world is covered by water, the rest is covered by Charles Woodson"

Dammmm you beat me too it. :D lol

My pick is also for Woodson.

I want that on a shirt. lol ;)
  • The Champ wrote:
    JD Sal wrote:

Just speaking as a pure shut down corner, there is no one better than Revis. You seem to like stats..here are some more comparing Woodson and Revis:

Revis vs. the elite:

All man coverage...this is why they call it Revis Island....and damn, just noticed 31 pass deflections as per your stats..

Jesus that is pretty fucking impressive. Holding Moss to 58 yards in TWO GAMES? He gets that in one play against the Fish Fucks.

Even though I hate the Jets, I think I'm gonna show them some AFC East love this weekend and cheer them against the Bengals. At least they're playing football the way I like to see it played. And I just can't stand OchoCinco. And it's not just the typical stuff that most people hate about him. I hate the little shit like when a O-lineman tries to congratulate him after a TD catch but he shrugs him away because it's interrupting his pre-planned celebration. Me. Me. Me. Twitter. Twitter. Twitter. He's just so annoying....and his talent is a little above average at best.

Besides, a Jets win in the wildcard round should set them up nicely for a glorious beatdown by Indy or SD....

Or maybe not. Who knows? I gotta admit that it kinda knocked me for a loop at the end of the game when Collinsworth compared them to rookie Roethlisberger and the Steelers because I (dreadfully) thought the same thing to myself in the 2nd quarter. So when he actually said it on national TV, a feeling of "please just say it ain't so" overcame me.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Jesus that is pretty fucking impressive. Holding Moss to 58 yards in TWO GAMES?

Note - in the 2nd game against the Patriots, Wes Welker went for 15 catches and 192 yards ... so, let's be honest, the Jets rolled safety coverage over to Moss.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    The Champ wrote:

Revis vs. the elite:

Jesus that is pretty fucking impressive. Holding Moss to 58 yards in TWO GAMES? He gets that in one play against the Fish Fucks.

Even though I hate the Jets, I think I'm gonna show them some AFC East love this weekend and cheer them against the Bengals. At least they're playing football the way I like to see it played. And I just can't stand OchoCinco. And it's not just the typical stuff that most people hate about him. I hate the little shit like when a O-lineman tries to congratulate him after a TD catch but he shrugs him away because it's interrupting his pre-planned celebration. Me. Me. Me. Twitter. Twitter. Twitter. He's just so annoying....and his talent is a little above average at best.

Besides, a Jets win in the wildcard round should set them up nicely for a glorious beatdown by Indy or SD....

Or maybe not. Who knows? I gotta admit that it kinda knocked me for a loop at the end of the game when Collinsworth compared them to rookie Roethlisberger and the Steelers because I (dreadfully) thought the same thing to myself in the 2nd quarter. So when he actually said it on national TV, a feeling of "please just say it ain't so" overcame me.

Sorry about your fish, well not really but we'll see you next year ;) ...and you're right, Revis Island is pretty fucking impressive....no player had more than 35 yards against him, which is just insane...and he matched up man to man against the opponent's best receiver each and every week....Woodson had a great year too, but look at the caliber of receivers Revis completely took out of the picture, some even twice like you mentioned.....and look at the shitty QBs Woodson played against--- Boller, Culpepper, Stanton, D. Anderson, Freeman, Alex Smith, Stafford, Hasselbeck, Leinart, Cutler twice.....he will receive the award due to his 'sexy' interception stats..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    jimed14 wrote:
    Jesus that is pretty fucking impressive. Holding Moss to 58 yards in TWO GAMES?

Note - in the 2nd game against the Patriots, Wes Welker went for 15 catches and 192 yards ... so, let's be honest, the Jets rolled safety coverage over to Moss.

Nope, it was man coverage the 2nd game as well..Belichick had to come up with a different game plan as he knew Moss would be a non-factor due to Revis.....and the plan worked as Welker killed us all day long..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    womjn.jpg
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • ArcticangelArcticangel Posts: 1,443

Awwwww yeah... it is going to be a tight race though..
    PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009
    edited January 2010

Awwwww yeah... it is going to be a tight race though..

Btw, the 'Lost On Revis Island' picture as posted by Chad Johnson via his twitter page makes for a better t-shirt ;) ....anyway, don't worry, Woodson will get the votes for reasons already stated....though Peter King's vote will be going to Revis:

Def. Player
    Darrelle Revis, Jets.
    Revis played Randy Moss, Andre Johnson, Steve (Carolina) Smith, Reggie Wayne, Marques Colston, Terrell Owens, Roddy White and Chad Ochocinco a total of 10 times this year. None had more than 35 receiving yards in a game. The average game: three catches, 27 yards. Revis was the only cover man in football to allow a sub-40-percent completion percentage on balls thrown in his area.
    --Peter King

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/w ... index.html
    Post edited by The Champ on
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    you do realize, about 20 minutes after they announce defensive player of the year ... everyone will not care ... right?
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:
    you do realize, about 20 minutes after they announce defensive player of the year ... everyone will not care ... right?

Should probably change the title to 'best man-to-man cover corner' or something as I don't believe that's up for debate..but anyway, you're right....just astonished at his level of play....16 games, man coverage against the best receivers in the league without allowing more than 35 yards in any....sick..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    JD Sal wrote:

Revis is good, Sharper is good. I won't dispute those facts.

Haha, that quote is freakin awesome!!! :D:D
    The Champ wrote:
    JD Sal wrote:

Revis vs. the elite:

Revis is great, no doubt. But some of the 'shutdown' stats are misleading, like against Reggie Wayne who only played a few series that game. And yes, 31 passes deflected is nice but Woodson had 3 more INT's and 4 Forced Fumbles -- 7 more turnovers than Revis plus 2 more sacks. That is huge!

Allow me to point out a couple of games where Woodson single-handedly won games for GB:

Wk 10 vs DAL - 9 Tackles, 1 Sack, 2 Forced Fumbles, 1 INT, 1 Pass Def
    Wk 12 vs DET - 7 Tackles, 1 Sack, 1 Forced Fumble, 2 INTs, 1 TD, 4 Pass Def

Allow me to point out why simply showing WR's catches and Yards for a game doesn't show the whole picture. Yes, Revis played a lot of man but Woodson and the Packers play a good bit of zone. That game where you showed OchoCinco going for 4 catches, 91 yds and 1 TD against Woodson, let's see what Woodson did:

Wk 2 vs CIN - 10 Tackles, 2 INTs, 59 YDs, 1 TD, 2 Pass Def
    You can't have a much better game than this, but according to Ocho's stats, Woodson apparently didn't play well. MISLEADING!

Both guys are deserving in my opinion, but I give the nod to Woodson!
  • jimed14 wrote:

Not everyone.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    Both are very good, what hurts Woodson is a couple things, he is older and maybe a little past his prime, does play in defense that runs zone coverage, but mostly he wasted all those years playing for the Raiders.
    -
    Revis though is just entering his prime, and that is scary for the AFC East.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    JD Sal wrote:
    The Champ wrote:

Revis vs. the elite:

Revis is great, no doubt. But some of the 'shutdown' stats are misleading, like against Reggie Wayne who only played a few series that game. And yes, 31 passes deflected is nice but Woodson had 3 more INT's and 4 Forced Fumbles -- 7 more turnovers than Revis plus 2 more sacks. That is huge!

Allow me to point out a couple of games where Woodson single-handedly won games for GB:

Allow me to point out why simply showing WR's catches and Yards for a game doesn't show the whole picture. Yes, Revis played a lot of man but Woodson and the Packers play a good bit of zone. That game where you showed OchoCinco going for 4 catches, 91 yds and 1 TD against Woodson, let's see what Woodson did:

You can't have a much better game than this, but according to Ocho's stats, Woodson apparently didn't play well. MISLEADING!

Valid points...and yes, of course stats and lack of can be very misleading. For example, Revis may never record a sack in his life if the scheme doesn't allow him to blitz...he is in the back pocket of the opponent's best receiver all day long as per his cover role....a lot of non-plays are impact plays as well but are not recorded as the ball is nowhere near Revis Island..I'll go with Dion Sanders assessment that he is the best shut down cornerback since, well him..lol....and Peter King's choice for D player of the year....in any case, both are deserving of the award...Revis is the better pure corner but Woodson had an explosive year..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Being able to watch Woodesn every week is such a treat. He's just everywhere on the field and making big plays. Alot of Packer fans thought he was kinda washed up when he came to Green Bay. But he has proved and showed that he has alot more left in him. If he doesn't win on well but we shall see. Besides the whole Packer's defense is a joy to watch. You just feel they are going make a big play when needed. Lost to the Steelers on a last catch. But I don't think anybody could have defended that pass.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Revis also plays on the #1 ranked D
    Woodson does not

Just sayin
    The Champ wrote:
    JD Sal wrote:
    The Champ wrote:

Revis vs. the elite:

Valid points...and yes, of course stats and lack of can be very misleading. For example, Revis may never record a sack in his life if the scheme doesn't allow him to blitz...he is in the back pocket of the opponent's best receiver all day long as per his cover role....a lot of non-plays are impact plays as well but are not recorded as the ball is nowhere near Revis Island..I'll go with Dion Sanders assessment that he is the best shut down cornerback since, well him..lol....and Peter King's choice for D player of the year....in any case, both are deserving of the award...Revis is the better pure corner but Woodson had an explosive year..
    its spelled deion not dion

Just sayin
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    metsfan wrote:
    Revis also plays on the #1 ranked D
    Woodson does not

For as bad as the Steelers were this year, they finished fifth in total D without 2 of their best guys most of the year. They would have been # 1 by far if they knew how to play in the 4th quarter, and Aaron Smith and Troy. (Revis as the best shut down corner is still not as valuable as a healthy Polamalu.) Green Bay finshed 2nd with all thier injuries as well. Just saying that about woodson. They play the same position, but they play it differently for thier teams overall defense.

Andthe Jets #1 Defense this year does not even compare to the Steelers #1 Defense last year. No where close to as intimidating. Also helped the Jets played a last place schedule, But Revis does take away a teams best receiver every game. Steelers #1 D last year also came against the leagues hardest schedule and with a super bowl win.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...