Breastfed baby charged 121 bucks to enter Pearl Jam concert

edited December 2009 in The Porch
:roll: it's not Pearl Jam's fault of course, it was the venue that pulled this shit!

Qaggog2.jpeg

Baby Lamont Harper Davidson may be the smallest Pearl Jam fan – but his parents have had to pay a sizeable price to get their son into a Christchurch concert.

Being a breastfed baby, three-month-old Lamont accompanied parents Melanie and Andrew Davidson to the Pearl Jam concert on Sunday night.

The Methven couple, who had tickets to a corporate box, assumed their baby could enter AMI Stadium for free.

However, on reaching the ticket gate, they were told Lamont would have to buy a $121 concert ticket.

Melanie Davidson said they had decided to take their son because they were in the warmth and comfort of a corporate box, with protection from the noise.

Moments before being stopped at the gate, the Davidsons were "elated" to catch a glimpse of support act Ben Harper, after whom their baby was named.

They were told they would either have to leave or buy their son a ticket, a process that cost them $121 and meant they missed Harper's first four songs.

Vbase chief executive Bryan Pearson said the "no ticket, no entry" stance had been a one-off mistake.

"Unfortunately, when you're making a myriad of calls on the night, the appropriate decisions and steps aren't always taken, and this time we made a mistake," he said.

"We had other people in the audience that night with infants, and they didn't have to buy tickets."

The cost of the baby's ticket would be refunded and Pearson offered the Davidsons tickets to another show of their choice.

And what did baby Lamont think of his first concert?

"He slept through most of it. I don't think he got his $121 worth," Melanie Davidson said.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/mu ... l-Jam-fan/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,139
    im just not sure bringing a baby to a pearl jam concert is the best thing ever, granted they where in a corporate box....... but still
  • doomponydoompony Posts: 4,497
    typical nz non-news item. they got paid back! not to mention - why the fuck would you take a 3 month old to a concert? what enjoyment would they possible get?
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    A 3 month old at a PJ concert???

Luxury box or not, that is a little absurd. These parents need to get their priorities straight or get a babysitter.

Seriously, these venues should make an age requirement. Who's gonna be the first parent to bring their 3 month old into a GA show? Would they stop them then, or just charge them an extras ticket and say, "Have a good time."
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    edited November 2009
    Parents choice . as long as u protect there ears .. or u would have to have a kid to understand !! witch i do .
    Kid's Love Music . My boy would be at a show in a heart beat . :mrgreen: Ok maybe not 3 months but he is 3 years old .

about two months back i can remember seeing pics of Chris Cornell kids at a show !! on twitter
    Post edited by Jokertt14 on
  • babies have been at GA shows, I know that for a fact.

It is ridiculous.
    A 3 month old at a PJ concert???

Luxury box or not, that is a little absurd. These parents need to get their priorities straight or get a babysitter.

Seriously, these venues should make an age requirement. Who's gonna be the first parent to bring their 3 month old into a GA show? Would they stop them then, or just charge them an extras ticket and say, "Have a good time."
  • Saw plenty of kids (including 1 baby) at ACL where there was mud everywhere. Don't understand those parents
    edited November 2009
    Come on u guys and girls .. THERE WERE KIDS AT WOODSTOCK FOR THE LOVE OF GOD !!! :o

Your starting to miss the point of the story there pissed they payed so much .. get it now ?? :lol::lol:
    Post edited by Jokertt14 on
  • you pussies... Hes ok isnt he? More power to HIM...
    you pussies... Hes ok isnt he? More power to HIM...

Word !!
  • doompony wrote:
    typical nz non-news item. they got paid back! not to mention - why the fuck would you take a 3 month old to a concert? what enjoyment would they possible get?

the lead singer of the band they went to see took his baby girl to shows. if the ears are protected then it's not a factor. and just because they got money back doesn't make it any less assholeish that the venue actually charged a baby 121 dollars to enter. very much news.
    doompony wrote:

the lead singer of the band they went to see took his baby girl to shows. if the ears are protected then it's not a factor. and just because they got money back doesn't make it any less assholeish that the venue actually charged a baby 121 dollars to enter. very much news.

Word ..Word !!
    doompony wrote:

but they got the money back! it'd be interesting if they didn't... but they did!

i'm going to go to the media about the time my eftpos card was charged twice for milk. sure they reversed the charge straight away and i didn't notice until i saw it on my bank statement but i am OUTRAGED
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    stupid....

get a baby sitter

i saw a baby at bonnaroo last year. i wonder if the mom had to buy two tickets. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    edited November 2009
    plus there's a big difference between some random taking their sleeping 3 month old to a concert to ed's (older than 3 month old) daughter being at the shows. it's her DAD. they can say "look honey, daddy is bouncing and making the people happy".

as opposed to ".... ... yep... he's asleep"
  • 81 wrote:
    stupid....

get a baby sitter

i saw a baby at bonnaroo last year. i wonder if the mom had to buy two tickets. :lol:

Your Avatar disagrees! :mrgreen:
  • That baby is smoking in the privacy of his or her own home. :D
    81 wrote:
    stupid....

get a baby sitter

• That baby is smoking in the privacy of his or her own home. :D
    81 wrote:
    stupid....

get a baby sitter

:lol::lol::lol:
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    81 wrote:
    stupid....

get a baby sitter

I saw a ton of little kids at Roo last year
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • doompony wrote:
    plus there's a big difference between some random taking their sleeping 3 month old to a concert to ed's (older than 3 month old) daughter being at the shows. it's her DAD. they can say "look honey, daddy is bouncing and making the people happy".

as opposed to ".... ... yep... he's asleep"

it's a story because what if they did not have 121 more dollars, they would have turned around and went home and missed the show. just because they did have the money and got it back, it still is good it gets out so maybe it doesn't happen again because next time it may cause people to miss the show.

as for the taking your kid to a show.........i've never been one to tell people how to live or how to raise a family. just because you see a kid at concert doesn't mean the parents don't love em' to death. i personally wouldn't take my kids if i had any but i'm not going to think i know whats best for someone else's kids. again if the ears are protected from the loud noise damage..then what else do you see as wrong with it other than you don't want them to do something you don't want them to do?
  • EastiesEasties Posts: 479
    Maybe I am wrong - I am a male (with no kids)! But when you're breastfeeding a newborn you kinda need to be around to feed them?! So I'm guessing that's why they took him, plus they were in the comfort of a box so it made that decision even easier.
    i personally think they should have to pay something. what if the kid screamed his way through the show and ruined it for others?

i just dont see the point of taking a baby that young. i didn't say they were bad parents. i just personally don't get the point. apart from being able to say to them when they're old enough to understand "we took you to see ben harper and pearl jam when you were 3 months old!" "yep... don't remember a thing.. but.. uh.. thanks mum?"
  • bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,092
    I really doubt they took any protection for their baby's ears, relying on being behind the glass probably. I don't know how loud it is in there, but I'd assume it's decent otherwise, what's the point? I'm sure they don't have the same equipment the band use for their kids.

Is this the lady that got her boobs out as we were queuing to leave? ;) I thought she was an exhibitionist, but maybe she was just supporting breast feeding. Good for her! :lol:
  • IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    doompony wrote:

true and for those who say it's 'daddy at work'.... well, the babies still don't get it and they COULD afford babysitters. But they chose not to....

so obviously the dad (singer) wanted his kids there... family thing.

now, as a parent myself, no i wouldn't want to take my little ones to the concerts because I don't want the responsibilities and enjoying myself with hubby.

Now that my 3 older ones are in their teens and my youngest is now 7.... it's fine. As long as they still protect their ears when it's too loud for them.

As for other parents... I can't say anything because it's their children and as long as they are doing their jobs in ensuring the safety of their children and taking responsibilities, who am i to say?

One thing that do really bother me is those who use their children as a vehicle to get attention as one mother constantly did with her 10 year old daughter at several EV solo shows. :roll:
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
    my dog is named after the finns. i should have taken her. she would have enjoyed it as much as that sleeping baby.
  • doompony wrote:
    my dog is named after the finns. i should have taken her. she would have enjoyed it as much as that sleeping baby.
    :lol::)
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    If you can afford a Corporate Luxury Box... $121.00 is chump change.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • EastiesEasties Posts: 479
    bazzer wrote:
    Is this the lady that got her boobs out as we were queuing to leave? ;) I thought she was an exhibitionist, but maybe she was just supporting breast feeding. Good for her! :lol:
    :D:D

She sure made that slow walk out of the stadium a little bit easier!
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    breast pump much?
  • IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    While on the topic of breastfeeding in public - which i applaud and respect the mothers for, because I was too embarrassed to expose my breasts when i breastfed my 4 kids and always put myself in uncomfortable and awkward positions - I wanted to brag that a new and international breastfeeding logo was drawn by someone I went to college with - and also in my friends group. :P

For those who haven't seen the international breastfeeding logo:

brand.gif
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • IamMine wrote:
    While on the topic of breastfeeding in public - which i applaud and respect the mothers for, because I was too embarrassed to expose my breasts when i breastfed my 4 kids and always put myself in uncomfortable and awkward positions - I wanted to brag that a new and international breastfeeding logo was drawn by someone I went to college with - and also in my friends group. :P

For those who haven't seen the international breastfeeding logo:

brand.gif

at a certain angle that looks like a deformed pacman.