LOST- 6th and Final Season (NO SPOILERS)

Comments

• edvedderrocksedvedderrocks Posts: 1,001
    I guess the concert Desmond is taking Kate to is that of Jack's son.

I think that Jack will stay the candidate. These are my thoughts...

I think Jack will operate on Locke to try to "save" him like he always does. I think he will realize who Locke was (the smoke monster one) and lets him die. Jack will end up "saving" himself. At least I hope that's how it ends. I love Jack.

And Ben is the best character ever. I love him too!
    "I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me. Guaranteed."

1996 Merriweather, MD; 1998 Camden, NJ; 2000 Camden, NJ; 2003 Camden, NJ; 2005 Philly, PA; 2006 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2); 2006 Arnhem, NED; 2008 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2), Washington DC, MSG(night 2) 2009 Philly Spectrum Shows(nights 1,2,3,4) 2010 Hartford,CT and MSG(night 2)

ED Solo - 2008 Washington DC, 2009 Philly, PA(nights 1&2)*Met Eddie =)
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    And Ben is the best character ever. I love him too!

Greatest villain ever!
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Red_DotRed_Dot Posts: 1,454
    Red_Dot wrote:
    So what the hell happened to Miles? I thought I saw Smokey take him??

I was too hoping for more info in that episode. I wanted more Widmore backstory, Elouise, Penny. I want to know how and why all the 'others' got there and took the children. And why can't they have children on the island, and when and why was the statue built. ohh, I should just wait for the finale I guess, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

As for the sideways limeline, it seems everyone is going to this show. Desmond is taking Kate, and Hurley might be taking Sayid. Jack's son is playing a show and he and the boys mum are going (who surely we have to know). Miles & his dad, red head and maybe Sawyer are also going to a show.
    Wasn't that Richard the smoke monster took out?
    Red_Dot wrote:
    Poncier wrote:
    I'm guessing Jack's ex must be Juliet.

That's what I was thinking, but I don't want it to be.
    I will be happy with the ending as long as Juliet and Sawyer get together.

Does anyone else get the feeling it’s all going to end with a big cheesy reunion in sideways world with everyone together in the one room, hugging and smiling while music plays over the top? :?

I'm thinking Jack's ex in the sideways universe is his ex from the normal universe. I don't think they ever explained to us why their marriage ended, but I'm guessing that she had a miscarriage that led to Jack's drinking problem and he slowly pushed her away.

Yeah The smoke monster took Richard, I thought he took Miles too, but a friend just told me Miles ran out into the jungle and we don’t know what happened to him yet.

I think the mother of Jack's kid might be Sarah too. Someone tried to explain that it couldn’t be her time wise, but if everyone has turned out different in the sideways world, then it could be her coz he may have met her earlier in different circumstances.
    Their marriage broke up because Jack kissed one of his patients & I think spent too much time at work etc
    Take me for a ride before we leave...
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Red_Dot wrote:
    Yeah The smoke monster took Richard, I thought he took Miles too, but a friend just told me Miles ran out into the jungle and we don’t know what happened to him yet.

I think the mother of Jack's kid might be Sarah too. Someone tried to explain that it couldn’t be her time wise, but if everyone has turned out different in the sideways world, then it could be her coz he may have met her earlier in different circumstances.
    Their marriage broke up because Jack kissed one of his patients & I think spent too much time at work etc

I thought the marriage broke up because she cheated on Jack.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Red_Dot wrote:
    Ya sure it didn't break up because he's the biggest douche ever?
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Red_DotRed_Dot Posts: 1,454
    Newch91 wrote:
    Red_Dot wrote:

I thought the marriage broke up because she cheated on Jack.

Man, it feels so long ago, I had to look it up. Jack kissed one of his patients, then went home and confessed it to Sarah, and she confessed she had been seeing someone else (because he is the biggest douche ever :D)

There is so much stuff I forgot about all of their lives before the crash, I’ve been doing a bit of back reading before the finale, and man the show was so good back then. They never elaborated on anything about Clair before the plane crash. She had a cool story with that psychic and Eco coming to see her. They could have done something really cool with that, but like everything, they just seemed to run out of time and focused on the ending and adding new unnecessary characters rather than addressing the things we have been waiting so long to be explained.

Cannot believe the finale is only days away!
    Take me for a ride before we leave...
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    just see sneak peak in you tube...ok,,really i feel so confused!!!how all this will go?!!!im exciting for the last epidsode and sad is ending..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    Don't watch if you haven't seen the previous episode!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkcIAw6HY6w -Sneak Peek #1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1HqtKUWp4k - Sneak Peek #2

You know, with all the great characters on this show... I think I may miss the snarkiness of Sawyer the most.
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    i missed this tuesday and now abc's player is down so i'm waiting for the torrent to finish downloading but i thought of something the other day....didn't a season end with a shot of some people in antarctica or somewhere like that? was that ever explained?
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
    mbangel10 wrote:
    You know, with all the great characters on this show... I think I may miss the snarkiness of Sawyer the most.
    I've been on Team Sawyer a looooong time. :twisted:

428525580v2147483647_480x480_Front_Color-Black.jpg
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    i missed this tuesday and now abc's player is down so i'm waiting for the torrent to finish downloading but i thought of something the other day....didn't a season end with a shot of some people in antarctica or somewhere like that? was that ever explained?

No, like ten million other things, it wasn not explained.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
    rrivers wrote:

The 2 guys in Antarctica or wherever called Penny after they got some kind of signal when the hatch computer ran down and the hatch blew up. But it was never explained exactly where they were or how they were monitoring the island.
  • Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    the wolf wrote:
    The campfire scene was ridiculous...

It should have been called "Who wants to be the Candidate"
    Raise your hand??

Really ? I thought it was cool. Jack has come full circle, he now believes he is there for a reason.

now he wants to stay and think he's there for a reason and locke wants to leave
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027

every episode is on hulu.com for free up until Sunday. i've been going back and watching key episodes.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • I seem to have a lot of trouble retaining the old stuff. Most of the stuff mentioned in this thread I don't even recall!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,790
    'Lost' finale to air at 5am on Monday in the UK to beat piracy and illegal downloading.

http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/news-extra/article/6665/lost-finale-to-air-at-5am-on-monday.html
    I miss igotid88
  • michelleelisemichelleelise Posts: 346
    I've also apparently forgotten a lot of things from the first few seasons :?

I have to re-watch more of the time-travel episodes when Faraday discussed resetting the timeline. Because I really don't understand the alt universe. Here's the thing, either multiple universes exist or they don't. According to this TV show, they do :) So I don't understand why this small handful of people would be the only ones having flashes between universes. I mean, I realize some of the people in the alt-universe don't have counterparts in the main universe (like Jack's son), but wouldn't everyone who does have a counterpart be having these same flashes to their main-universe selves? I feel like I must've missed a very important explanation from Faraday somewhere along the way...

Also, why is alt-Jack's neck bleeding? Isn't it the 2nd time that's happened (the first time having been in the airplane bathroom, I think?)
  • Also, why is alt-Jack's neck bleeding? Isn't it the 2nd time that's happened (the first time having been in the airplane bathroom, I think?)

yes, I don't know why that is either.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    Also, why is alt-Jack's neck bleeding? Isn't it the 2nd time that's happened (the first time having been in the airplane bathroom, I think?)
    Maybe Kate gave him a love bite?

I'm thinking that's one of the things we'll find out in the finale.
  • loadedgunloadedgun Indiana Posts: 1,389
    I'm thinking its one of the million things we will never find out about in the finale.
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • loadedgun wrote:
    I'm thinking its one of the million things we will never find out about in the finale.

totally agree. this series is going to piss me off to no end I'm guessing. Maybe I should get super high to watch it and then it will all make sense. :mrgreen:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • FearTheBeardFearTheBeard Posts: 666
    loadedgun wrote:

I completely agree. I'm really looking forward to having nothing answered on Sunday :D

Damn this show...
    Where did the dog go? What was the point of Nikki and Paulo, really?
  • FearTheBeardFearTheBeard Posts: 666
    rrivers wrote:

The 2 guys in Antarctica or wherever called Penny after they got some kind of signal when the hatch computer ran down and the hatch blew up. But it was never explained exactly where they were or how they were monitoring the island.

Wasn't Jack one of the scientists? Or someone who looked exactly like him?
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,678
    The guy looked a bit like Jack, but it wasn't him.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,678
    loadedgun wrote:

I completely agree. I'm really looking forward to having nothing answered on Sunday :D

Damn this show...
    Where did the dog go? What was the point of Nikki and Paulo, really?
    I think Dogen ate Vincent.
    And Nikki and Paolo were there to provide Miles with $8million in diamonds to start his new off island life as the corpse whisperer.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • loadedgunloadedgun Indiana Posts: 1,389
    Vincent is with Bernard and Rose.
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    loadedgun wrote:

You are so right.

It's science and weird things are happening. It's science.
    This commentary seems timely for this thread:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/21/arts/ ... l?ref=arts

In ‘Lost,’ Mythology Trumps Mystery

As the end of “Lost” approaches — an extravaganza that will stretch from Sunday night into Monday morning on ABC — the natural urge is to join in the final frenzy of speculation. Who will live, who will die, and what did it all mean?
    In recent months “Lost” has felt less like a television series than like a gigantic international parlor game, in which the goal is to find answers to questions that often have no real connection to what’s happening on screen. You need to take a step back, or 5 or 10, and look past this extraneous (if diverting) exercise to assess the actual show and its legacy.

Since “Lost” itself favors oracular pronouncements, here’s one more: The show had one good season, its first. It was very, very good — as good as anything on television at the time — but none of the seasons since have approached that level, and the current sixth season, rushed, muddled and dull, has been the weakest.

That’s a typical television trajectory, especially for shows set up as closed-end mysteries. The difference now is that as “Lost” has hit a new creative low, the attention paid to it (if not its ratings) has hit a new high. But that makes sense: there’s an organic connection between the show’s decline and the particular brand of obsessive interest it inspires.

Back in Season 1, as the survivors of Oceanic Flight 815 explored the island, “Lost” was a beautifully functioning machine. The mystery was intriguing and had an internal logic (the questions were smart enough that the answers weren’t immediately important); the action was well directed; the actors were attractive; the locations gorgeous; the production values high.

But that model wasn’t sustainable. The elaborate mystery on which the show depended couldn’t be maintained at the same level, and the characters and their relationships had been conceived entirely in terms of that mystery; they had back stories rather than lives. (Television history held some lessons: “The Prisoner” called it quits after 17 episodes; “Twin Peaks” was essentially done after one season. “The X-Files,” an entirely different style of show that in its early years emphasized character development and chemistry in its many free-standing episodes, squeezed out four or five good seasons of its nine.)

To keep the story going, the producers of “Lost” resorted to inflation, adding more plot points and more characters at the cost of coherence. A spooky tale about plane crash survivors on a strange island increasingly became a labored allegory about free will and destiny, individualism and solidarity. Mystery began to give way to mythology.

As “Lost” bogged down and its audience shrank — its ratings in recent weeks have been about two-thirds of what they were in the early seasons — an interesting thing happened: a core of viewers emerged for whom the endless complications, which were ruinous in any traditional dramatic sense, were the basis of a new sort of fandom.

In this sideways universe, making sense of the show became the responsibility, and even the privilege, of the viewers rather than the producers. The compromises and continuity lapses and narrative backing and filling that characterize all broadcast network series became fodder for a kind of populist biblical commentary, and the logical gymnastics performed to read authorial intention into every word and image and in-joke began to feel religious in nature. Every question about the show had to have one true answer, and discerning it — or asserting your version of it the loudest — wasn’t the stuff of water cooler chatter, it was blood sport.

And this new proprietary “Lost” obsession grew symbiotically with things like mainstream entertainment blogs (and their comments sections) and Twitter, until now there is a vast body of shared commentary and speculation that often seems to overshadow the show itself. Why bother writing fan fiction when you can feel as if you had a hand in the real thing?

It’s clear that the rise of “Lost” geekdom has encouraged fans, and critics who should know better, to celebrate the mythology — the least important element of the show, from a dramatic standpoint — while glossing over things like pacing, structure, camerawork and acting. (With a few exceptions, notably Terry O’Quinn, as Locke, and Henry Ian Cusick, as Desmond, the performances have been undistinguished since the first season, which may have as much to do with the conception of the characters as with the actors themselves.)

And while we can’t know what’s in the minds of the executive producers Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof, they’ve devoted a lot of screen time in Season 6 to providing the fans with answers (when they haven’t been introducing new questions). Some fans, though, might have been happy to make do with fewer answers if it meant they could have a simpler, easier to follow, more exciting final season.

In fact, the scenes set in Los Angeles in the alternate timeline Mr. Cuse and Mr. Lindelof concocted for this season — blasted by the commentariat because they haven’t yet yielded up their secrets — have been more stylish and interesting to watch than the island scenes that have focused on resolving the outstanding plot points.

Among the best evidence that something new is happening with “Lost” is the fact that so many people, if their online comments are true, will be willing to change their judgment of the entire series based solely on how well the final two-and-a-half-hour episode satisfies their need for answers. Forget the first 119 hours — if you don’t tell me what happened to Walt, none of it will have mattered.

Similarly revealing is the carping over whether Mr. Cuse and Mr. Lindelof knew from the start where they were going to take their story. It’s a meaningless question with regard to evaluating the show — all that matters is what they have actually put on screen. But that would mean paying attention to the show itself, rather than your feelings about the show.

The contract between author and audience is being rewritten throughout our culture. Certainly we have always expected the satisfaction of resolution and revelation in our fictional narratives, but we had to let creators provide it on their own terms and then judge the overall result. “Lost” is a sign that that’s not so true anymore, at least with regard to television. Now that the public conversation about how a work should play out can be louder, and have greater impact, than the work itself, the conversation will inevitably begin to shape the work in ways that earlier television producers — or, say, Charles Dickens — never had to reckon with.

“Lost” has turned fans into critics and critics, including this one, into semiprofessional fans, and in both cases you can sense that some exhaustion has set in. The mood among many of the show’s followers as they confront Sunday’s finale seems to be a mixture of regret and relief. Whatever happens to Jack and Kate and Sawyer on Sunday night, we’re getting off the island.

Also, another article from NYT about Damon Lindelhof and Carlton Cuse, too long to quote here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/16/arts/ ... html?fta=y