Options

2017 Buffalo Bills - The hunt for a playoff berth

Comments

• Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Not my first choice but I'm not in the position of choosing. Guess it's just wait and see now.
  • Options
    pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    DS1119 wrote:
    Not my first choice but I'm not in the position of choosing. Guess it's just wait and see now.

You could make a better choice DS! Front office dropped the ball, AGAIN.
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:

You could make a better choice DS! Front office dropped the ball, AGAIN.

I wonder if WHisenhut would still consider a coordinator job. Pipe dream probably but I could still hope. :lol:
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    Let us take a look at the Bills' HC history post Wade Phillips' stint.

Gregg Williams:

17-31 in three seasons as Buffalo HC
    No playoffs
    Previous HC jobs in the NFL: None
    In fact, his only head coaching position prior to Buffalo was at the high school level :fp:

Mike Mularkey

14-18 in two seasons as Buffalo HC
    No Playoffs
    Previous HC jobs in the NFL: None

Dick Jauron

24-33 in 3 1/2 seasons as Buffalo HC
    No Playoffs
    Previous HC jobs in the NFL: Chicago and Detroit (Interim)
    Made playoffs once with Chicago

Chan Gailey

16-32 in three seasons as Buffalo HC
    No playoffs
    Previous NFL HC jobs: None

I hope I'm wrong. I hope someday I can look back on it and call my self an asshole for doubting Doug Marrone, but for now, this is another awful hire for Buffalo.

Marrone

No NFl HC experience
    HC at Syracuse: Turned that program around, but I don't give a damn. It's Syracuse, it's the Big East, it's one of the worst conferences in the NCAA.

What was wrong with Lovie? A guy with two NFC championships and a Superbowl appearance. A defensive mind, which Buffalo Needs. Our offense is just a franchise quarterback away.

chan gailey coached Dallas and won a few Division titles. So that makes 2 coaches with HC experience in the NFL who sucked, and 2 without who sucked.

Pete Carroll coached the Pats before and it was an unbridled disaster. Remember Belichick with the Browns?

past NFL experience is a crapshoot. Its all a crapshoot. They got a young and hungry coach who seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

Word is he was Cleveland's second choice and they wanted him once Kelly told them no. When Kelly goes back to Oregon, I bet he would have been on Philly's short list. He was also supposed to interview in San Diego today or tomorrow. He isnt just some scrub.
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:

chan gailey coached Dallas and won a few Division titles. So that makes 2 coaches with HC experience in the NFL who sucked, and 2 without who sucked.

Pete Carroll coached the Pats before and it was an unbridled disaster. Remember Belichick with the Browns?

past NFL experience is a crapshoot. Its all a crapshoot. They got a young and hungry coach who seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

Word is he was Cleveland's second choice and they wanted him once Kelly told them no. When Kelly goes back to Oregon, I bet he would have been on Philly's short list. He was also supposed to interview in San Diego today or tomorrow. He isnt just some scrub.

I agree with this I just think bringing in a name would have helped right now.
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    He was deff on Philly's list. He's gonna be a good coach for Buffalo.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    My bad, totally missed the fact that Gailey was a HC for Dallas. I agree with you Mayday, but I agree with DS more. Buffalo needed a big name right now. Like I said, I hope I'm wrong about Doug Marrone.
  • Options
    I was hoping for Lovie Smith too. However, like I said Im fine with this choice and am willing to see it out before killing the Bills for it (and I do rag on them plenty). There really wasnt a star-studded stable of head coaches available. We will see who the DC is.
  • Options
    DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    All I care about is W's. I could give a crap is Cindi Lauper was the HC if she put W's in the column thats what matters. I do see Buffalo taking Nessib in the second round now.

Let's take a look at two franchises who got the big name they wanted. It got the fan base pumped up and excitement was through the roof. Steve Spurrier and Nick Saban how did those hires work out for each Org? Hell throw Bobbi Petrino in there he was going to revitalize Atlanta. That fucker didn't even finish his one season.

Big names rarely translate to wins. How many Pats fans were excited about Bellichik? I'm guessing none. Now the fan base would do anything for BB. How many of us Bills fans were excited when Marv came to town? Most likely none of us.

Buffalo doesn't need a big name they need a competant coach. Is Marrone the guy? I dunno but time will tell. What he needs to do is hire a D Cordinater who shows more than just a base 4-3 and actually blitz's in right situations instead of blitzing when the team is down by 21.

What killed this team was coaches who looked lost. Fitz sucks i'm not going to deny that. But this team could have won more games if Chan knew what the hell was going on. Instead of flinging the ball around when your down by 7 why didn't he use CJ and Fred?

I was upset at first but now that i have time to think about it, the hire may not be that bad. It could have been worse it could have been Kelly. I didn't trust Kelly in the NFL and it seems he thought twice about it as well. Kelly I feel would have been a pure disaster in the NFL.
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    ^^^ I agree 100%. Except Cindi Lauper would be a better DC than HC
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:

She does just wanna have fun.
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    DURP wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

She does just wanna have fun.

:lol::lol:
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    marrone is a TERRIBLE hire. 25-25 in syracuse. wtf.

im thinking they go 1-15 next and draft manziel #1
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,617
    People are putting way too much stock into the record at Syracuse.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

uhh, please explain. how do you judge success in sports? besides pitchers who rely on run support, win/loss records mean everything- esp as a head coach.
  • Options
    davidtrios wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

uhh, please explain. how do you judge success in sports? besides pitchers who rely on run support, win/loss records mean everything- esp as a head coach.

I don't know a lot about him because I don't follow college football but he seems pretty highly regarded in the reading I have done over the past couple of days. Now it was all Bills media so it's a little skewed but I do like what I have read.
  • Options
    davidtrios wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Um, in college not the immediate win-loss record, especially when the program you are taking over won a total of 10 games in the previous 4 seasons, which included a 4 win season making the other 3 pretty fucking terrible. He took over a terrible situation and made it very quickly a decent one, developing some NFL caliber talent including a pretty damn good QB this year and winning a couple bowl games. In 4 years, I'd say that's pretty god damn successful, taking a team that won 10 games in the previous 4 years to a team that won 25 games in his 4 years including bowl games and a big win against Louisville.

Much different than the NFL, college programs take time and he saw some immediate success
  • Options
    I understand his moderate success in college. What you just wrote might give him a chance at a better college job not an NFL head coaching gig. Let's be serious, youd rather see a marginally successful college coach than a proven NFL oc or hc like lovie smith? Haha you're out of your mind again cliffy.
  • Options
    there is a ton of variability in college and it is very relative.

What if you have a coach who is a great recruiter, has a completely loaded team (because they are near a beach, cheat, whatever), and plays a inferior talent all season, racking up wins, using a system that doesnt resemble a pro-style.

You have Schiano, who came from Rutgers, had a near .500 record in the same conference, and made a bit of noise this year and improved Tampa Bay by 5 wins.

Like I said earlier, it is all a crapshoot. Im willing to wait this one out and see how he does. It definitely is not an off-the-radar hire as he was on the short-list for 3 teams who are still looking for a coach.
  • Options
    I don't give half a shit about the Bills so I really have no interest in arguing this anymore. I actually prefer to make fun of the Bills so I would prefer to talk shit about the hire, I just don't think it is as bad as everyone is making it out to be.

Lovie Smith sure is the hot commodity right now. :?
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I don't give half a shit about the Bills so I really have no interest in arguing this anymore. I actually prefer to make fun of the Bills so I would prefer to talk shit about the hire, I just don't think it is as bad as everyone is making it out to be.

ya, just go back to defending joe paterno again and see how far that gets you :fp:
  • Options
    davidtrios wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

ya, just go back to defending joe paterno again and see how far that gets you :fp:

First of all, I don't know what this has to do with anything, second of all, gets me how far with who? You? Because I'm concerned about that.

But if you want to get into all this, what was even more hilarious than me defending Paterno, (which I haven't done in some time) was you saying they should shut down the school and no one should hire kids with Penn State degrees.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    davidtrios wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

First of all, I don't know what this has to do with anything, second of all, gets me how far with who? You? Because I'm concerned about that.

But if you want to get into all this, what was even more hilarious than me defending Paterno, (which I haven't done in some time) was you saying they should shut down the school and no one should hire kids with Penn State degrees.

i admit, that was a bit overboard.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    The bills are a cess pool of failure......shut em down.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:

1-15 next season. book it
  • Options
    davidtrios wrote:

i admit, that was a bit overboard.

And my defense even though I think how much I defended him is a bit overblown, was probably inappropriate at the time. All emotions on both sides.
  • Options
    20130107_jla_ah8_003.0_standard_352.0.jpg
  • Options
    davidtrios wrote:
    81 wrote:

1-15 next season. book it

And this is based on what? Because they didn't hire L.Smith or Whisenhunt? Marrone may not be the sexy choice but sometimes the sexy choice isn't the right choice. Like i said earlier look at what happens when fans get "Thier guy" Petrino, Spurrier, Saban all fell flat on thier face and down a flight of stairs. Was Belichik a hot coach when NE hired him? Did the Pats fans jump up and down for joy?

Looking at Marrone record at 'Cuse is not fair to him. Yeah I admit 25-25 doesn't look good. But look at what he did in his time at 'Cuse. That football program was considered a joke. A few years ago my cousin told me people don't goto a Syracuse football game they just end up there.

Did the Bills make the wrong hire? I have no idea none of us do. But to say they will go 1-15 is a bit harsh. This team could have easily been 10-6 but incompetent coaching killed them. Will it be better this year again I do not know but we will see.

Sometimes the least liked choice is usually the best choice. And of course hindsight is always 20-20 so i'm sure if Marrone sucks people will go "See I told you".
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    DS1119 wrote:

he looks like the automatic pilot from Airplane
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    81 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

he looks like the automatic pilot from Airplane

:lol: