Options

Big East Basketball thread

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    booomm11 wrote:

Maybe this should be re-named the Scottie Reynolds thread...

You ain't kiddin Jeags! Jay Wright has done a phenomenal job man

You guys think Reynolds' game will translate to the pro's?

not sure how his game will translate. at this point i'd bet he's probably a late 1st round/2nd round pick. kinda small for the nba maybe. the nba sucks anyway so who cares?! :mrgreen:

i do know one thing....he is simply a GREAT college basketball player. dude's shooting 50% from the field. 50% from the field for a guard!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Providence College class of 2004 baby!

We suck this year. Again. Some of us actually thought Keno Davis could turn this program into a winner. Difficult when PC is the smallest Big East school to get quality recruits.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,081

We suck this year. Again. Some of us actually thought Keno Davis could turn this program into a winner. Difficult when PC is the smallest Big East school to get quality recruits.

welcome to the sub-500 portion of the thread - st. john's 01 here. went up to the civic center in 01 to see John Linehan and company put a beating on St. John's.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    The timing of Calhoun leaving the Huskies wasn't very good, but his health is obviously more important.

I had a feeling this UConn group was going to underachieve, and Xavier's right, they always seem to have a mediocre season every four years or so. I hope Calhoun recruits a big guy like Okafor or Thabeet for next year.
  • Options

i always feel bad for your friars. i've always respected all of the original big east schools though.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    tcaporale wrote:
    The timing of Calhoun leaving the Huskies wasn't very good, but his health is obviously more important.

I had a feeling this UConn group was going to underachieve, and Xavier's right, they always seem to have a mediocre season every four years or so. I hope Calhoun recruits a big guy like Okafor or Thabeet for next year.

1997 with Hamilton as a freshman, they made the NIT final four, two years later they won the whole thing.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    tcaporale wrote:

1997 with Hamilton as a freshman, they made the NIT final four, two years later they won the whole thing.

i passed on the chance to go to the garden for the tourney...kicking myself...couldn't avoid it though - $$$. should be a great one again this year!!!
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    How aboout my DePaul Blue Demons picking up their first conference win in what seems like an eternity??? Its about damn time!
  • Options
    How aboout my DePaul Blue Demons picking up their first conference win in what seems like an eternity??? Its about damn time!

congratulations, though if it would have been against St. John's, I might have stopped watching the Redmen for this year.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options

i always feel bad for your friars. i've always respected all of the original big east schools though.
    I mean, we do have history. We've been to the Final Four and Elite Eight since the creation of the Big East. Most schools can't say that. We have also produced several solid NBA players (Ryan Gomes, Austin Croshere, Eric Williams). No superstars, but solid players. Our team has been coached by Rick Pitino and Rick Barnes. Billy Donovan was the captain of the 1987 Final Four team.

So why is the program so depleted? Well a couple of reasons I think. Title IX for one. Less money is being poured into the men's hoops team. We had a decade of Timmy Welsh, who can't even tie his own shoes, let alone recruit and draw up effective plays. Now we have Dr. Tom Davis' son, Keno (yes, that's really his name), a brash young coach who won the coach of the year a few years back with the Drake Coffee Cakes. Time will tell whether or not he is successful. I always think about how schools recruit and from where. The Big East is the most cut-throat conference in America at this. Calhoun and Uconn, as well as Jaime Dixon and Pitt recruit sooooo well in NYC, Boheim takes the NYC scraps and the blue-chippers from New York state, Nova gets the Philly and Baltimore kids and Rick Pitino could recruit anyone anywhere no matter what. So where does that leave the DePauls, St. John's, PCs, Seton Halls, and Rutgers of the world? Bottom of the barrel recruits. Unless these schools find a diamond in the rough, or they get a superb coach to get these kids on the same page, this will ALWAYS be the case.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    UConn with the upset over Texas!!! :clap:

Now that's a good way to get back on the right track!
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Cuse looked strong against G-town last night

I am glad that Nova is coming to the dome-February 27-9PM
  • Options
    tcaporale wrote:
    UConn with the upset over Texas!!! :clap:

Now that's a good way to get back on the right track!

*exhales* Thank God they showed some fight in them.
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    BronyBrony Posts: 628
    Get_Right wrote:

# 1 Seed baby!
  • Options
    BronyBrony Posts: 628
    Brony wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:

# 1 Seed baby!
    ...may i add from unranked preseason
  • Options
    Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    SHU alum here. They were pretty damn good during my years. I got there in 1990.
    It has been tough sledding the last decade or so though...

Good back to back wins over Louisville and Pitt!

Having student season tickets was one of the best parts of college life.

The first game I went to was the year before I went to school there. SHU v GTown.
    SHU lost to Michigan in the finals that year in OT on a bogus foul called on Gerald Greene...bastards..

Terry Dehere was the main man the years I was a student. Some great players around him though..
  • Options

The first game I went to was the year before I went to school there. SHU v GTown.
    SHU lost to Michigan in the finals that year in OT on a bogus foul called on Gerald Greene...bastards..

Terry Dehere was the main man the years I was a student. Some great players around him though..

Wasn't Arthuras Karnishovas there as well at that time. I remember John Morton as well from that team. I'm a SJU alum from the Ron Artest years. He's actually a very nice guy for someone who's a knucklehead at times in the NBA.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options
    How can UConn go from beating Texas to losing to Providence?

I just don't understand this team.
  • Options

Wasn't Arthuras Karnishovas there as well at that time. I remember John Morton as well from that team. I'm a SJU alum from the Ron Artest years. He's actually a very nice guy for someone who's a knucklehead at times in the NBA.

TATE GEORGE.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    TATE GEORGE.

uconn could have used him back last night. miss him. the captain!!! how the hell did we lose that game? we sucked, no heart, nothing from last weekend.
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    TATE GEORGE.

uconn could have used him back last night. miss him. the captain!!! how the hell did we lose that game? we sucked, no heart, nothing from last weekend.

oh woops....i forgot. i thought he was on seton hall when i posted that last night. :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    ProvidenceFriars11.GIF
    Beating UConn feel so good!
  • Options
    ProvidenceFriars11.GIF
    Beating UConn feel so good!

enjoy it while it lasts!!! ;):D

pc deserved and earned that win. played with more heart. we sucked.
    I love to turn you on
  • Options

Yeah, Karnishovas was there. I went to the Big East Championship when SHU played SJU.
  • Options

TATE GEORGE.

Went to HS with Tate George. Union Catholic HS in Scotch Plains NJ.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    Georgetown.gif

Heck of a game between Georgetown and Duke, defense rules. As much as I can't stand Duke I must say they have some nice jerseys with that design within the uniform that I bet you will become a new trend.

One last thing why are all the coaches wearing sneakers. GO HOYAS

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    You don't see that too often BOTH Obama and Biden are at the game. BTW the coaches are wearing sneakers in honor of raising awareness for cancer and cancer research.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    TATE GEORGE.

I really felt after the Texas win, UConn was going to be on a momentum run for the rest of the season and make it to the tournament. Forget it. I don't think they are going to make the tournament.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    TATE GEORGE.

I really felt after the Texas win, UConn was going to be on a momentum run for the rest of the season and make it to the tournament. Forget it. I don't think they are going to make the tournament.
    Yeah, I've said it before, but this team confuses the hell out of me. No heart whatsoever. The Texas game must've been a fluke.
  • Options
    another painful night of yelling at the tv. wtf!
    I love to turn you on