Vedder on Cobain in 1994

13»

Comments

• The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,437
    Being a music fan is tough because we're all a bit selfish sometimes. I was never a fan of Kurt Cobain. I disliked his singing, his playing, his band and everything about their sound. I feel selfish because if he had never died, we might never have gotten a song such as 'Let Me In' by R.E.M.

That song just floors me, and my selfish desire for music that moves me sometimes overshadows the reason for the music coming into being in the first place. Kurt Cobain never had any impact on my life, so it's hard for me to care that he died. Obviously it's not a good thing when somebody dies, but the only reason I feel bad is because he left his daughter behind. It must be a horrible thing for those who were around him to deal with the fact that Kurt didn't feel he could turn to anyone for support. He obviously didn't want to live enough.

So, Kurt leaves behind a short career that I honestly believe is vastly overrated in terms of quality but I understand the importance of their place in history nonetheless. He left behind feelings of guilt that family and friends still feel today. The two positive things that came from his death are the songs that were written about him or had him in mind (Immortality, Let Me In), and the Foo Fighters who I think are a far better band than Nirvana ever was.

Being a fan of music is a weird thing.
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • Scott Weiland got all F'd up with Courtney Love in a hotel room for a month and she confessed that she was the cause of it. Always belittling him. Check out STP's "Too Cool Queenie" its a good take on both Courtney and Kurt.
  • FeiracoFeiraco Posts: 255
    Thanks for your replies, but this thread wasn't supposed to be about Cobain... ;)
    I think we have enough of them.

If anyone has a transcription of the clip of the 1994 Vedder & Ament interview, that would be great!
    Rotterdam 2000 (CANCELLED) | Arnhem 2006 | Rotterdam 2009 | Berlin 2009 | Arras 2010 | Amsterdam-1 2012 | Amsterdam-2 2012 | EV Amsterdam-1 2012 | EV Amsterdam-2 2012 | Amsterdam-1 2014 | Amsterdam-2 2014 | EV Amsterdam-2 2017 | EV Amsterdam-3 2017
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    Ed is still a rockgod for sure!
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • locked wrote:

The FF music is brilliant .

that's one way to look at it i guess. others might say normal pop rock with cute funny videos to go along with it.
  • Boo Hoo poor Kurt Cobain it was all just so hard for him the money, the wife, the kid, the fans,the love, the great music he made he just had it so rough LOL Fuck that guy! So many people have dreams of being in that position and he kills himself he's a weak minded pathetic fool. I hate him. I don't feel sorry for him at all! The only thing that came out of his head when he blew his brains out was shit! Top it all off he abandons his kid what a selfish low life!

That's a lame and ignorant thing to say. Use your brain, woman.

Again what am I saying that is ignorant? It is all true. I'll try sarcasm for you Kurt Cobain had such a rough life he had no money everyone hated him he also had no talent. He could never find a woman to love him or bare his child. What a rough life he had. How could he have gone on with all of his problems. LOL

No, I have to disagree with you.

Because the fact is you quite simply are being deeply, staggeringly ignorant. What you call "true" is nothing but your ill-informed opinion. And the lame attempt at sarcasm just illustrates it all the more obviously.

To assume that depression, drug-induced or not, is just being miserable because you don't like your life, simply illustrates that you have not the slightest comprehension of the complexity of the mental health issues that surround depression or suicide. To somebody who has seen what people who face these issues have to deal with and how it affects them, I find your oversimplistic judgmentalism nothing short of deeply offensive.

oh, and apologies, Feiraco, you're right. This thread shouldn't be abut KC.
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • yataheyatahe Posts: 168
    I don't think any of us can understand why people kill themselves unless we ourselves have been that low to where life is unbearable. Maybe it is selfish but these people are in such a dark place. Who can blame them when they don't know how to get out. xoxo
    *KRISTAL*XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO
    http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#!/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1434776887
    kristal_007@msn.com
  • like was posted in the live thread. here's your cobain.

COME AS YOU ARE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1oyfG6t2ew

&

SMELLS LIKE RIPOFF SPIRIT
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbldM7JEIeE

YELLOW LEDBETTER
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqzZUJN-jfI&feature=related
    Camden - 5/28/06; Camden - 6/20/08; MSG - 6/25/08; Newark - (Ed Solo) 8/7/08; Philly - (Ed Solo) 6/12/09; Philly - 10/30/09; Philly - 10/31/09; Newark - 5/18/10; MSG - 5/20/10; MSG - 5/21/10

• Without a doubt Mike was INFLUENCED by little wing but it's not a direct blatant stolen song like Kurt Cocaine did with come as you are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1oyfG6t2ew
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo0vB00NVLU

thank you ......and goodnight. :D
  • t0mMyet0mMye Posts: 821
    pdalowsky wrote:

I'm with you on this,

we also didnt persuade to pull the trigger without thinking about his little daughter who will never have her daddy now.

This may sound harsh but to me when the guy pulled the trigger he became just another selfish arsehole, who couldnt care less about those around him, and obviously thought nothing of hurt and pain his easy way out approach would cause.

Should people have helped him and supported him? who knows, maybe they did, and maybe he didnt want to know.

...when you have children, you take on a huge responsibility, and that should never be shirked.

Suicide from a drug dependency when in that role (a father) is for me wholly unacceptable (if that was what it was).

Honestly, i understand why you think that, in theory, but in reality, unless you know the full story, which you don't and never will, unless you experience what he went through (which I hope you never will), I don't think you're in a position to make such sweeping judgements.

Well said. Every man has his breaking point....every man.
    Ten Club # 433608, when I am 80 I will be in the front row!
  • t0mMyet0mMye Posts: 821
    If he didn't like being famous Quit the music industry and drop off the face of the earth I've worked jobs I hated and I quit them. Kurt Cobain had the luxury of quitting with millions!

He was mentally ill and hopelessly drug addicted. Money meant nothing to him. Don't be so stupid!

History of depression + Heroin addiction...bad combo :(
    Ten Club # 433608, when I am 80 I will be in the front row!