Vedder on Cobain in 1994

FeiracoFeiraco Posts: 255
edited March 2010 in The Porch
Living in Europe and without internet those years, in 1994 I only saw Vedder speaking about Cobain in a mini-special on European MTV. Vedder, face down and mumbling, said something like 'are you happy now?'. I also remember Black Crowes' Chris Robinson saying something like 'Cobain killing himself is the saddest thing'.

Does this item sound familiar to anyone?
Rotterdam 2000 (CANCELLED) | Arnhem 2006 | Rotterdam 2009 | Berlin 2009 | Arras 2010 | Amsterdam-1 2012 | Amsterdam-2 2012 | EV Amsterdam-1 2012 | EV Amsterdam-2 2012 | Amsterdam-1 2014 | Amsterdam-2 2014 | EV Amsterdam-2 2017 | EV Amsterdam-3 2017
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Yeah. It was everyone else's fault Kurt killed himself.

I never got Eddie's take on that.

I didn't shoot the guy up with drugs, and I didn't put the gun in his hand.

I bought his fuckin' records.
  • This isnt the exact clip but close, Ed speaks in the end;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3kHTbbHH3g
    -95, Stockholm (MirrorBall Tour)
    -00, Stockholm
    -07, Copenhagen
    -09, Berlin
    -10, Berlin
    -11, East Troy 1+2
    -12, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, EV London 2
    -13, London, Chicago
    -14, Amsterdam 1+2, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo
    -16, TOTD San Francisco 1+2
    -17, EV Amsterdam 2+3
    -18, Amsterdam 1+2, London 1+(2), Barcelona, London 2
    -19, EV Brussels

• pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,053
    bettielee wrote:
    Yeah. It was everyone else's fault Kurt killed himself.

I'm with you on this,

we also didnt persuade to pull the trigger without thinking about his little daughter who will never have her daddy now.

This may sound harsh but to me when the guy pulled the trigger he became just another selfish arsehole, who couldnt care less about those around him, and obviously thought nothing of hurt and pain his easy way out approach would cause.

Should people have helped him and supported him? who knows, maybe they did, and maybe he didnt want to know.
  • Feiraco wrote:
    Living in Europe and without internet those years, in 1994 I only saw Vedder speaking about Cobain in a mini-special on European MTV. Vedder, face down and mumbling, said something like 'are you happy now?'. I also remember Black Crowes' Chris Robinson saying something like 'Cobain killing himself is the saddest thing'.

In April 1994, Vanessa Warwick interviewed Ed and Jeff for a special edition of MTV Europe's version of Headbangers' Ball. The interviews were conducted 48 hours after Cobain's death. I probably have the show on VHS, somewhere or other.

The footage of Ed was used in a few other shows on the station, at the time. I can also remember a Pearl Jam special in the summer of that year, which featured a re-run of 1992's Past, Present and Future documentary plus extra footage from the April '94 Ed interview.
  • pjten77pjten77 Posts: 225
    pdalowsky wrote:
    bettielee wrote:

I'm with you on this,

we also didnt persuade to pull the trigger without thinking about his little daughter who will never have her daddy now.

This may sound harsh but to me when the guy pulled the trigger he became just another selfish arsehole, who couldnt care less about those around him, and obviously thought nothing of hurt and pain his easy way out approach would cause.

Should people have helped him and supported him? who knows, maybe they did, and maybe he didnt want to know.

no question he was a druggie....but maybe HE didn't pull the trigger???
    Toronto-96/Barrie-98/Pittsburgh-00/Toronto-00/Buffalo-03/Toronto-03/Kitchener-05/Toronto-05/Hamilton-05/Toronto I-06/Toronto 2-06/E.V. Toronto- 08/ Toronto- 09/Buffalo-10/Hamilton- 11/ London- 13/ Buffalo- 13/Detroit- 14/Ottawa-16/Toronto II-16/Fenway I & II- 16
    pjten77 wrote:
    pdalowsky wrote:
    bettielee wrote:

I'm with you on this,

no question he was a druggie....but maybe HE didn't pull the trigger???

really??
  • FeiracoFeiraco Posts: 255
    In April 1994, Vanessa Warwick interviewed Ed and Jeff for a special edition of MTV Europe's version of Headbangers' Ball. The interviews were conducted 48 hours after Cobain's death. I probably have the show on VHS, somewhere or other. The footage of Ed was used in a few other shows on the station, at the time. I can also remember a Pearl Jam special in the summer of that year, which featured a re-run of 1992's Past, Present and Future documentary plus extra footage from the April '94 Ed interview.

Thanks for that! It would be marvellous if it could appear online one day.
    Anyway, that interview must have been scheduled because I can't imagine Vedder arranging a new interview so quickly after Cobain's death. I can imagine somewhat the pressure which must have been upon him those days, mid-1994.

And please keep this thread on topic. The question whether Cobain shot himself or was murdered, is handled elsewhere.
    Rotterdam 2000 (CANCELLED) | Arnhem 2006 | Rotterdam 2009 | Berlin 2009 | Arras 2010 | Amsterdam-1 2012 | Amsterdam-2 2012 | EV Amsterdam-1 2012 | EV Amsterdam-2 2012 | Amsterdam-1 2014 | Amsterdam-2 2014 | EV Amsterdam-2 2017 | EV Amsterdam-3 2017
  • DempsDemps Posts: 102
    bettielee wrote:

He was much younger and miserable in those days. I highly doubt he would have the same feelings about it if it happened today. How many of us can stand by 100% of the things we said and did 15 years ago? And that is without considering the fact that what these guys were doing 15 years ago was in front of a worldwide audience to be seen, recorded and replayed over and over again. Life is about growth. Sure, most people hold on to their core values and beliefs, but we also change course over time. At 45 years old you should look back at your 30 year old self and shake your head at a few of the stupid things you said and did.
    I suggest you step out on your porch...run away my son...see it all...oh see the world // I wait on the porch...hoping someday I'll be let in

Springfield, MA 4/6/94 -- Boston, MA 4/11/94 -- Hartford, CT 10/2/96 -- Hartford, CT 9/13/98 -- Mansfield, MA 7/2/03 -- Reading, PA 10/1/04 -- Albany, NY 5/12/06 -- Milwaukee, WI 6/29/06 -- Mansfield, MA 6/30/08 -- Toronto, ON 9/21/09 -- Philadelphia, PA 10/31/09 -- Worcester, MA 10/16/13 -- Hartford, CT 10/25/13 -- New York, NY 9/26/15 -- New York, NY 5/2/16 -- Boston, MA 8/5/16 -- Boston, MA 8/7/16 -- Boston, MA 9/2/18 -- Boston, MA 9/4/18 -- London, UK 7/8/22 -- Hamilton, ON 9/6/22 -- Toronto, ON 9/8/22 -- New York, NY 9/11/22 -- Chicago, IL 9/5/23 -- Chicago, IL 9/7/23 -- New York, NY 9/3/24 -- Philadelphia, PA 9/7/24 -- Philadelphia, PA 9/9/24
  • I remember it well. I have it on VHS at home too somewhere. I thought it was a really raw and powerful interview.It was 2 days after Kurt's death & Ed was obviously thinking about it in the context of the sort of pressures that he was feeling at the time. I think what he said was totally understandable in the context, and I'm sure his thinking on it is a little more developed now, though he's made it pretty clear these days that it's something he has no wish to talk about.

And the interview was definitely arranged before Kurt's death. It's pretty clear from the section with Jeff, that the issue of Kurt's death only comes in after they talk about the general band stuff that was obviously pre-planned.
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Is Kurt Cobain DEAD? :o
    -95, Stockholm (MirrorBall Tour)
    -00, Stockholm
    -07, Copenhagen
    -09, Berlin
    -10, Berlin
    -11, East Troy 1+2
    -12, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, EV London 2
    -13, London, Chicago
    -14, Amsterdam 1+2, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo
    -16, TOTD San Francisco 1+2
    -17, EV Amsterdam 2+3
    -18, Amsterdam 1+2, London 1+(2), Barcelona, London 2
    -19, EV Brussels

• If not, someone better dig him up quick or he soon will be....
  • that is harsh. You shouldn't judge people who commit suicide.
    pdalowsky wrote:
    bettielee wrote:

I'm with you on this,

that is harsh. You shouldn't judge people who commit suicide.
    pdalowsky wrote:
    bettielee wrote:

I'm with you on this,

maybe not but when you have children, you take on a huge responsibility, and that should never be shirked.

Suicide from a drug dependency when in that role (a father) is for me wholly unacceptable (if that was what it was).
  • pdalowsky wrote:

I'm with you on this,

...when you have children, you take on a huge responsibility, and that should never be shirked.

Suicide from a drug dependency when in that role (a father) is for me wholly unacceptable (if that was what it was).

Honestly, i understand why you think that, in theory, but in reality, unless you know the full story, which you don't and never will, unless you experience what he went through (which I hope you never will), I don't think you're in a position to make such sweeping judgements.
    I remember it well. I have it on VHS at home too somewhere. I thought it was a really raw and powerful interview.It was 2 days after Kurt's death & Ed was obviously thinking about it in the context of the sort of pressures that he was feeling at the time. I think what he said was totally understandable in the context, and I'm sure his thinking on it is a little more developed now, though he's made it pretty clear these days that it's something he has no wish to talk about.

And the interview was definitely arranged before Kurt's death. It's pretty clear from the section with Jeff, that the issue of Kurt's death only comes in after they talk about the general band stuff that was obviously pre-planned.

Thanks!
    The video I saw must have seen was the Headbangers Ball - Kurt Cobain Tribute Special (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0598700/). It's evident Cobain was the centre piece there. But I'm even more curious now to see the full interview with Vedder and Ament, not only the Cobain part.

Thanks to all for clarifying where that Vedder quote came from.
    pdalowsky wrote:

I'm with you on this,

...when you have children, you take on a huge responsibility, and that should never be shirked.

Honestly, i understand why you think that, in theory, but in reality, unless you know the full story, which you don't and never will, unless you experience what he went through (which I hope you never will), I don't think you're in a position to make such sweeping judgements.

hey I'm not saying i am right on this, not one bit, its just how I see it. Just to me escapism through suicide however tempting to avoid lifes problems is not an option when you have children.

I totally understand what you say however as of course I have no idea what this guy was going through, but from the reports of the time it seems this was largely drugs related combined with the pressures of fame, and the demands that come with it.

Simply on the face of it the guy very much took the easy way out. that to me when you have a little girl of 2 is hard to even start to understand even of someone in the spotlight of fame (you could simply retire from it), and addicted to drugs. Yet maybe I am well off the mark on this having never experienced either.
  • pdalowsky wrote:
    hey I'm not saying i am right on this, not one bit, its just how I see it. Just to me escapism through suicide however tempting to avoid lifes problems is not an option when you have children.

I totally understand what you say however as of course I have no idea what this guy was going through, but from the reports of the time it seems this was largely drugs related combined with the pressures of fame, and the demands that come with it.

Simply on the face of it the guy very much took the easy way out. that to me when you have a little girl of 2 is hard to even start to understand even of someone in the spotlight of fame (you could simply retire from it), and addicted to drugs. Yet maybe I am well off the mark on this having never experienced either.

That's cool. I understand exactly what you're saying, and for the most part I'm in total agreement with you. I can't understand how people reach that point and see it as a way out, particularly when you have a little person dependent on you. But my one point would be not to judge just because you don't understand.

I think we're agreeing more than disagreeing here...
  • who cares...nirvana sux. probably the most overrated band of all time. cobain's voice was atrocious, his guitar playing was horrible, novoselic wasn't any better on bass, and they would have disbanded anyway because dave grohl would have hopefully realized his songs would be better.

and besides being a junky, obviously cobain had serious problems...look who he chose to marry.

and someone already mentioned here how his suicide was a selfish act, and i agree with that. when his daughter was born his life should have been about her, and not his inability to deal with having money and fame. which is pretty pathetic, considering all of the poor people in this world then and now, some who would kill to be able to make money by playing music and being in front of thousands of fans.

the same old story we've heard again and again is "the rock star status exposure was starting to take his privacy away and he couldn't deal with it"...translation: he couldn't just shoot up whenever or whereever he wanted so instead of kicking the habit and embracing his success he just ended it all.

ok i'm done. long live pearl jam!
    "If you love someone, set them free. If someone loves you, don't fuck up." -ev

6/29/03 - Montreal, QC 10/1/04 - Reading, PA
    10/3/05 - Philadelphia, PA 5/12/06 - Albany, NY
    6/27/08 - Hartford, CT (FRONT ROW CENTER!)
    8/2/08 - (ev) Boston, MA 6/9/09 - (ev) Albany, NY
    8/21/09 - Toronto, ON 5/10/10 - Buffalo, NY
  • Boo Hoo poor Kurt Cobain it was all just so hard for him the money, the wife, the kid, the fans,the love, the great music he made he just had it so rough LOL Fuck that guy! So many people have dreams of being in that position and he kills himself he's a weak minded pathetic fool. I hate him. I don't feel sorry for him at all! The only thing that came out of his head when he blew his brains out was shit! Top it all off he abandons his kid what a selfish low life!
  • who cares...nirvana sux. probably the most overrated band of all time. cobain's voice was atrocious, his guitar playing was horrible, novoselic wasn't any better on bass, and they would have disbanded anyway because dave grohl would have hopefully realized his songs would be better.

and besides being a junky, obviously cobain had serious problems...look who he chose to marry.

and someone already mentioned here how his suicide was a selfish act, and i agree with that. when his daughter was born his life should have been about her, and not his inability to deal with having money and fame. which is pretty pathetic, considering all of the poor people in this world then and now, some who would kill to be able to make money by playing music and being in front of thousands of fans.

the same old story we've heard again and again is "the rock star status exposure was starting to take his privacy away and he couldn't deal with it"...translation: he couldn't just shoot up whenever or whereever he wanted so instead of kicking the habit and embracing his success he just ended it all.

ok i'm done. long live pearl jam!

Amen :mrgreen:
    A54CDC74-AB63-4EC8-9B55-3658DDD136FC-13112-000005CA4B5AFE40_zps094ecfbc.jpg
  • Boo Hoo poor Kurt Cobain it was all just so hard for him the money, the wife, the kid, the fans,the love, the great music he made he just had it so rough LOL Fuck that guy! So many people have dreams of being in that position and he kills himself he's a weak minded pathetic fool. I hate him. I don't feel sorry for him at all! The only thing that came out of his head when he blew his brains out was shit!

"BOO HOO"

nirvana-20051116-84792.jpg

• uhhh hey dicknose, can ya possibly get yer scrawny lil ass off my drumset before i kick ya in the balls? thanks.

Nirvana.jpg

• nirvana sux. probably the most overrated band of all time. cobain's voice was atrocious, his guitar playing was horrible, novoselic wasn't any better on bass

You don't get it
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    Boo Hoo poor Kurt Cobain it was all just so hard for him the money, the wife, the kid, the fans,the love, the great music he made he just had it so rough LOL Fuck that guy! So many people have dreams of being in that position and he kills himself he's a weak minded pathetic fool. I hate him. I don't feel sorry for him at all! The only thing that came out of his head when he blew his brains out was shit! Top it all off he abandons his kid what a selfish low life!
    Wow. Ignorance personified.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • nirvana sux. probably the most overrated band of all time. cobain's voice was atrocious, his guitar playing was horrible, novoselic wasn't any better on bass

You don't get it

i don't get what...i've been a musician for over twenty years, i can spot poor musicianship.

"you don't get it"...sounds like a cobain-esque excuse if i ever heard one.

• Feiraco wrote:

I think he was blaming the Media, not the fans
    A54CDC74-AB63-4EC8-9B55-3658DDD136FC-13112-000005CA4B5AFE40_zps094ecfbc.jpg
    I think he was blaming the Media, not the fans

First of all, thanks for bringing this thread back on topic! ;)
    Interesting to hear. As I wrote, I only heard that specific quote (and not in a context) and always assumed he was 'pissed' at Cobain, and asked him that question.
  • Feiraco wrote:
    In April 1994, Vanessa Warwick interviewed Ed and Jeff for a special edition of MTV Europe's version of Headbangers' Ball. The interviews were conducted 48 hours after Cobain's death. I probably have the show on VHS, somewhere or other. The footage of Ed was used in a few other shows on the station, at the time. I can also remember a Pearl Jam special in the summer of that year, which featured a re-run of 1992's Past, Present and Future documentary plus extra footage from the April '94 Ed interview.

Thanks for that! It would be marvellous if it could appear online one day.
    Anyway, that interview must have been scheduled because I can't imagine Vedder arranging a new interview so quickly after Cobain's death. I can imagine somewhat the pressure which must have been upon him those days, mid-1994.

I think the interview was planned in advance, as part of a PJ on tour special episode of Headbangers' Ball. The edition of the show also featured footage from the band at the Boston Garden: I recall short clips of "Animal" and "Go".

I'll try and find the tape: not promising anything, though! We'll see.

You don't get it

i don't get what...i've been a musician for over twenty years, i can spot poor musicianship.

"you don't get it"...sounds like a cobain-esque excuse if i ever heard one.

If you're criticizing Nirvana for their "poor musicianship," then you don't get Nirvana. I'm guessing that you don't know what it means....know not what it means when he says "yeah" either.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Nirvana Rocks. I watching Nirvana at Reading now. To say they suck...like others said...you don't get it. The previous post "about being a musician for 20 years" I hope you have a record label and theres message boards talking about your music.