Vedder on Cobain in 1994

Comments

• i also remember the front of the kerrang mag here in the uk just after it happened, i was only 11 but i was hooked early. it was ed on the front with the headline "i can't do this anymore". it was also reprinted in kerrang's kurt cobain suicide 10th anniversary issue.
    does this seem familiar to anybody?
    some people here think nirvana were sh!t at what they did but hey they changed alot of peoples lifes.
    Caleb Benjamin Higgs-16th December 2006
    Max Lennon Higgs-22nd October 2010
    My two boys are the light of my life.

check my band/project out at www.soundclick.com/nineyardsleft
  • who cares...nirvana sux. probably the most overrated band of all time. cobain's voice was atrocious, his guitar playing was horrible, novoselic wasn't any better on bass, and they would have disbanded anyway because dave grohl would have hopefully realized his songs would be better.

and besides being a junky, obviously cobain had serious problems...look who he chose to marry.

and someone already mentioned here how his suicide was a selfish act, and i agree with that. when his daughter was born his life should have been about her, and not his inability to deal with having money and fame. which is pretty pathetic, considering all of the poor people in this world then and now, some who would kill to be able to make money by playing music and being in front of thousands of fans.

the same old story we've heard again and again is "the rock star status exposure was starting to take his privacy away and he couldn't deal with it"...translation: he couldn't just shoot up whenever or whereever he wanted so instead of kicking the habit and embracing his success he just ended it all.

ok i'm done. long live pearl jam!

I used to be a fan of Nirvana. First band I ever saw live. But they never reached me the way Pearl Jam did. I haven't listened to them in years, and I find the cult of Kurt to be pretty cringe-inducing.

That said, I recognise their significance and their impact, which is why moronically ignorant nonsense like the post above and a few of those that follow it just do my head in.

So easy, isn't it, to be a naysayer, to soak up the thin veneer of a person's life that the media presents you with, and then have the arrogant audacity to presume you know them, and their personal problems, well enough to judge and condemn them.

Don't confuse your opinion with authority.
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Boo Hoo poor Kurt Cobain it was all just so hard for him the money, the wife, the kid, the fans,the love, the great music he made he just had it so rough LOL Fuck that guy! So many people have dreams of being in that position and he kills himself he's a weak minded pathetic fool. I hate him. I don't feel sorry for him at all! The only thing that came out of his head when he blew his brains out was shit!

"BOO HOO"

nirvana-20051116-84792.jpg

Don't be such a hypocrite...

vedder_eddie.jpg
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Boo Hoo poor Kurt Cobain it was all just so hard for him the money, the wife, the kid, the fans,the love, the great music he made he just had it so rough LOL Fuck that guy! So many people have dreams of being in that position and he kills himself he's a weak minded pathetic fool. I hate him. I don't feel sorry for him at all! The only thing that came out of his head when he blew his brains out was shit!

"BOO HOO"

vedder_eddie.jpg

theanswersarefatal=owned!
    well done wolf ;)
    Adolescence in essence is all about trust.
    Leaving is for the answering machine.
  • DeLukin wrote:
    Boo Hoo poor Kurt Cobain it was all just so hard for him the money, the wife, the kid, the fans,the love, the great music he made he just had it so rough LOL Fuck that guy! So many people have dreams of being in that position and he kills himself he's a weak minded pathetic fool. I hate him. I don't feel sorry for him at all! The only thing that came out of his head when he blew his brains out was shit! Top it all off he abandons his kid what a selfish low life!
    Wow. Ignorance personified.

What exactly is ignorant by what I said? Everything I said is true. Is there something I said that was wrong?
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    This isnt the exact clip but close, Ed speaks in the end;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3kHTbbHH3g

Wow..

Ed hits the nail on the head!..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Boo Hoo poor Kurt Cobain it was all just so hard for him the money, the wife, the kid, the fans,the love, the great music he made he just had it so rough LOL Fuck that guy! So many people have dreams of being in that position and he kills himself he's a weak minded pathetic fool. I hate him. I don't feel sorry for him at all! The only thing that came out of his head when he blew his brains out was shit! Top it all off he abandons his kid what a selfish low life!

That's a lame and ignorant thing to say. Use your brain, woman.
  • KravenKraven Posts: 829
    Boo Hoo poor Kurt Cobain it was all just so hard for him the money, the wife, the kid, the fans,the love, the great music he made he just had it so rough LOL Fuck that guy! So many people have dreams of being in that position and he kills himself he's a weak minded pathetic fool. I hate him. I don't feel sorry for him at all! The only thing that came out of his head when he blew his brains out was shit! Top it all off he abandons his kid what a selfish low life!

Picture yourself as the biggest rock star of a generation, with the media hounding you all the time. How would you react? Would you be happy? On top of that you have a TERRIBLE case of scoliosis that fucks your stomach up, and makes you feel horrible, like no pain you have ever felt before. The only drug, or cure for the pain is heroin, which is basically morphine, wouldn't you take it too?

What happens when that pain goes away, when it is cured? You quit heroin, which Kurt Cobain did in 1993. What happens when you have a daughter and your wife is fucking crazy? You try to get a divorce which Kurt Cobain was going to do, before he "committed" suicide. Courtney Love was deathly afraid that he would leave her and with it his money.

Have you ever read Kurt Cobain's "suicide" note? Its not one, at all, its basically a retirement note, or a letter stating that Nirvana was over. The last part that makes it a suicide note is not even in the same handwriting as the first part. What does a man who doesn't want to be a spotlight do? Leaves it, by breaking up what was the biggest band in the world (at that point PJ was way bigger) Hence the reason Nirvana didn't take up the Lollapalooza gig that summer, which Courtney Love was pissed about. What do you do if you're a HUGE CUNT and grieving about your husband? Oh yeah push up the release date of your album so that it comes out in the middle of the media hoopla that was his death.

So before you go off spouting about shit you have NO FUCKING CLUE about, do some goddamn research.

To say Kurt Cobain was not musically talented or that Nirvana as a whole was not, is completely ignorant. Kurt Cobain's voice was fucking brilliant, listen to Where Did You Sleep Last Night? off of Nirvana Unplugged and if you don't get the chills or can't feel the depth of sadness in that man, you're deaf. There is no one with a more primal scream and no one with a voice like him, everyone has tried to imitate Eddie but where are the Kurt imitators? (No, I am not saying he has a better voice than Eddie, just more unique nowadays.)

Kurt Cobain could play the guitar and make noise come out of that thing like no one else, he wrote catchy rock, and stretched from Beatles-esque rock, to punk, to channeling even Sabbath. It also helps he was backed by one of the best rhythm sections in the game. Novoselic is no Entwistle or John Paul Jones, but dude knew how to play with Cobain and Grohl, and sure as hell kept it interesting. Lounge Act off Nevermind is an example of his excellence. Just because the dude isn't all over the fret board doesn't mean he isn't good. Do I need to even discuss Grohl? Breed off Nevermind, ANYTHING off of In Utero, especially Serve the Servants and Scentless Apprentice.
    32 shows and counting...
  • maki_jmaki_j Posts: 70
    Get on netflix and checkout "Kurt & Courtney". Is a great documentary on what probably "really" happened...
  • Mr DerpMr Derp Posts: 319
    The trouble with the "Nirvana Sucks" whining/argument is it's just so easy to disprove. "Live At Reading" just came out a week ago and illustrates, front to back, a great rock band in their prime. I don't care if you like his voice, or Kris's 'skillz' on bass, but when it's all said and done they made some awesome generation defining rock music and backed it up with great shows.

Nirvana may not be everyone's cup of tea, but to throw out a blanket statement like "Nirvana Sucks" and list a couple nit picks as you casually brush them aside or toss pot shots out at a dead man is making waves for the sake of making waves. Maybe it's supposed to sound cool, or maybe you don't get that what defined Nirvana was what came out when those guys played together on stage as a band. They didn't get famous because of Cobain's skill playing guitar the same way they didn't get famous because of Ghrol's considerable energy and skill on the drums. So holding that stuff up as proof of misconception about Nirvana doesn't work. There was no mass delusion in the 90's where everyone thought Kurt played like Hendrix.
  • for some fame and adulation is hard...........no one stops you in your day-to-day ever, do they?

fame is nothing to want and most who "achieve" it find out the hardest way.........Kurt killed himself because there is a lot in this life that is not worth the struggle.....

there is a realness to that that many will never admit or even stop to recongnize.....but he did.........and I, for one, get it......
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • Can't believe some of the nasty comments here.
    Nirvana were what the Ramones were to rock music in the mid-late 70's.
    Sloppy, but passionate.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,053
    Kraven wrote:

Picture yourself as the biggest rock star of a generation, with the media hounding you all the time. How would you react? Would you be happy? On top of that you have a TERRIBLE case of scoliosis that fucks your stomach up, and makes you feel horrible, like no pain you have ever felt before. The only drug, or cure for the pain is heroin, which is basically morphine, wouldn't you take it too?

What happens when that pain goes away, when it is cured? You quit heroin, which Kurt Cobain did in 1993. What happens when you have a daughter and your wife is fucking crazy? You try to get a divorce which Kurt Cobain was going to do, before he "committed" suicide. Courtney Love was deathly afraid that he would leave her and with it his money.

Have you ever read Kurt Cobain's "suicide" note? Its not one, at all, its basically a retirement note, or a letter stating that Nirvana was over. The last part that makes it a suicide note is not even in the same handwriting as the first part. What does a man who doesn't want to be a spotlight do? Leaves it, by breaking up what was the biggest band in the world (at that point PJ was way bigger) Hence the reason Nirvana didn't take up the Lollapalooza gig that summer, which Courtney Love was pissed about. What do you do if you're a HUGE CUNT and grieving about your husband? Oh yeah push up the release date of your album so that it comes out in the middle of the media hoopla that was his death.

So before you go off spouting about shit you have NO FUCKING CLUE about, do some goddamn research.

To say Kurt Cobain was not musically talented or that Nirvana as a whole was not, is completely ignorant. Kurt Cobain's voice was fucking brilliant, listen to Where Did You Sleep Last Night? off of Nirvana Unplugged and if you don't get the chills or can't feel the depth of sadness in that man, you're deaf. There is no one with a more primal scream and no one with a voice like him, everyone has tried to imitate Eddie but where are the Kurt imitators? (No, I am not saying he has a better voice than Eddie, just more unique nowadays.)

Kurt Cobain could play the guitar and make noise come out of that thing like no one else, he wrote catchy rock, and stretched from Beatles-esque rock, to punk, to channeling even Sabbath. It also helps he was backed by one of the best rhythm sections in the game. Novoselic is no Entwistle or John Paul Jones, but dude knew how to play with Cobain and Grohl, and sure as hell kept it interesting. Lounge Act off Nevermind is an example of his excellence. Just because the dude isn't all over the fret board doesn't mean he isn't good. Do I need to even discuss Grohl? Breed off Nevermind, ANYTHING off of In Utero, especially Serve the Servants and Scentless Apprentice.

Of course what you say is all relevant and what not, but many people have troubles in there life, to shoot your head off is hardly the thing to do when you have a two year old child. No matter who your wife is. Seems odd in that from what you say he had left the band, he'd done the hard part, and he still ended it all.....

By all means this is all very tragic, and there is no need to be disrespectful to the dead, Kurts was obviously a troubled mind, and I dont think he owed his fans anything at all....but he owed that little girl much more. There can be no argument to counter that. Leaving a child without a father for me for many of the reasons above in this thread is unacceptable IMO. Thats just how I see it, right or wrong, and I do acknowledge I do not know the full story as none of us do.

But one thing is for sure, Nirvana were fucking brilliant. No question, and Cobain was brilliant at what he did. I find is bizarre that people can say he was shit. No way Nirvana were so relevant in the day and the fact they still are speaks volumes. In Nevermind and In Utero you have two very classic albums. Could Kurt sing? not strictly speaking but that doesnt mean he didnt have a great and unique voice, which i personally think he did.

It does trouble me somewhat however how people regard him as a hero still, musically maybe, but every other aspect of what we know of him was tragic beyond belief. A strange kind of hero for anyone.
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    What exactly is ignorant by what I said? Everything I said is true. Is there something I said that was wrong?
    The guy was a JUNKIE. Do you know anything about addiction? I'm guessing you don't. Can you even fathom the despair and hopelessness someone has to feel to get to the point of suicide in spite of everything that is going right in their life? I think it's ignorant to pretend you do, and wrong for you to and spew that much hatred for someone you only know from press clippings. But hey, it's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. Just like I'm entitled to mine...
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,053
    DeLukin wrote:
    The guy was a JUNKIE. Do you know anything about addiction? I'm guessing you don't. Can you even fathom the despair and hopelessness someone has to feel to get to the point of suicide in spite of everything that is going right in their life? I think it's ignorant to pretend you do, and wrong for you to and spew that much hatred for someone you only know from press clippings. But hey, it's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. Just like I'm entitled to mine...

Its worth noting that junkies who are in despair and whom want to help themselves can find help....
    just some junkies have no desire to get help
  • Boo Hoo poor Kurt Cobain it was all just so hard for him the money, the wife, the kid, the fans,the love, the great music he made he just had it so rough LOL Fuck that guy! So many people have dreams of being in that position and he kills himself he's a weak minded pathetic fool. I hate him. I don't feel sorry for him at all! The only thing that came out of his head when he blew his brains out was shit! Top it all off he abandons his kid what a selfish low life!

Again what am I saying that is ignorant? It is all true. I'll try sarcasm for you Kurt Cobain had such a rough life he had no money everyone hated him he also had no talent. He could never find a woman to love him or bare his child. What a rough life he had. How could he have gone on with all of his problems. LOL

Again what am I saying that is ignorant? It is all true. I'll try sarcasm for you Kurt Cobain had such a rough life he had no money everyone hated him he also had no talent. He could never find a woman to love him or bare his child. What a rough life he had. How could he have gone on with all of his problems. LOL

It's ignorant because it's like a mental disease to commit suicide. It's not just a "oh boo-hoo. My life sucks so I'm gonna kill myself" sort of thing.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Kraven wrote:

Like I say Boo Hoo I feel so sorry for Kurt Cobain he is the only one in the world with a few problems? So what You still have to be a fucking low life to be a heroin addict with a child and them abandon them by killing yourself there is no excuse. The only person to blame is him. Your the problem with the world everyone wants to blame someone else for their problems. If he didn't like being famous Quit the music industry and drop off the face of the earth I've worked jobs I hated and I quit them. Kurt Cobain had the luxury of quitting with millions!
  • if i recall that donkey cobain called pearl jam a bunch of poppy cock rockers or something in that matter. yeah how 'd that work out for ya donkey.... can we all say looooossssssserrrrr......... nirvana is the most over rated band in history of music. i'd rather see milli vanilli live than them. oh yeah maybe in the next life......
    Son of Jor-El
  • coachchris wrote:

"BOO HOO"

vedder_eddie.jpg

theanswersarefatal=owned!
    well done wolf ;)

LOL...you guys are obviously way too easily impressed by what's been dubbed as "music".
    "If you love someone, set them free. If someone loves you, don't fuck up." -ev

6/29/03 - Montreal, QC 10/1/04 - Reading, PA
    10/3/05 - Philadelphia, PA 5/12/06 - Albany, NY
    6/27/08 - Hartford, CT (FRONT ROW CENTER!)
    8/2/08 - (ev) Boston, MA 6/9/09 - (ev) Albany, NY
    8/21/09 - Toronto, ON 5/10/10 - Buffalo, NY
  • happydad wrote:
    if i recall that donkey cobain called pearl jam a bunch of poppy cock rockers or something in that matter. yeah how 'd that work out for ya donkey.... can we all say looooossssssserrrrr......... nirvana is the most over rated band in history of music. i'd rather see milli vanilli live than them. oh yeah maybe in the next life......

thank you. so ya see, my opinion is just an opinion, but it's a shared opinion.

• Nirvana Rocks. I watching Nirvana at Reading now. To say they suck...like others said...you don't get it. The previous post "about being a musician for 20 years" I hope you have a record label and theres message boards talking about your music.

wow, this is a beaut. i could start a record label tomorrow, and not know how to play one instrument.

hope you guys know that all of that was really just a part of his schtick. the out of tune guitars, the breaking of the guitars...spectacle...marilyn manson-type spectacle.

and to echo corduroykelly's thoughts about "getting out of the business"...yeah, that's what he should have done. he was young? not ready for the fame? do what every other child star does: get out of the business. hey maybe he should have been hanging out with jodie sweetin!

it's like i always say: The Foo Fighters were the best thing to happen to Nirvana.

• Mr DerpMr Derp Posts: 319
    I've worked jobs I hated and I quit them.

Because that's just like being a gigantic rock star and literally the poster boy for a new direction of rock music, an American version of what the Beatles/Rolling Stones did in the 60s? Or do you write off The Stones and Brian Jones the same way you do Nirvana and Kurt? Get a little perspective.

You didn't know the man. You have no idea how he felt, what he was going through, how much he did or did not love his family. Was it cool he left his daughter and wife? Of course not. But don't pretend you have some insight into his head/thought process and make presumptions about how he felt about anything, let alone his personal life.

The fact that you have such animosity and disdain for a complete stranger whose been dead for 15 years doesn't say much. A little compassion goes a long way.
  • like was posted in the live thread. here's your cobain.

COME AS YOU ARE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1oyfG6t2ew

&

SMELLS LIKE RIPOFF SPIRIT
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbldM7JEIeE
  • KravenKraven Posts: 829
    Kraven wrote:

Like I say Boo Hoo I feel so sorry for Kurt Cobain he is the only one in the world with a few problems? So what You still have to be a fucking low life to be a heroin addict with a child and them abandon them by killing yourself there is no excuse. The only person to blame is him. Your the problem with the world everyone wants to blame someone else for their problems. If he didn't like being famous Quit the music industry and drop off the face of the earth I've worked jobs I hated and I quit them. Kurt Cobain had the luxury of quitting with millions!

You obviously don't get the implication that KURT COBAIN DIDN'T COMMIT SUICIDE! Which I am pretty sure was the point of that Kurt and Courtney movie. All the facts are there, and the only one ever implying he was suicidal was Courtney Love. Pretty fucking convenient for her now isn't it?

Discovered in a room locked from the outside, 3 times the lethal dose of heroin even for him, he would have OD'ed with the needle in his arm but it was found neatly put away, suicide note was a sham, too short to pull the trigger and shoot himself in the head, there is a whole mess of other things too. www.justiceforkurt.com
    32 shows and counting...
  • Arguing over Cobain vs Vedder is like arguing Michelangelo vs DaVinci. Just be happy we got them both in the same century.

And regarding the circumstances around Kurt's death--show some class and let the man rest in peace.
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • If he didn't like being famous Quit the music industry and drop off the face of the earth I've worked jobs I hated and I quit them. Kurt Cobain had the luxury of quitting with millions!

He was mentally ill and hopelessly drug addicted. Money meant nothing to him. Don't be so stupid!
  • dont judge, anyway kurt cobain was murdered. watch the docos, theirs too much proof! and that sly woman (courtney) got away with it.
    Zo Barney
  • Zo Barney wrote:
    dont judge, anyway kurt cobain was murdered. watch the docos, theirs too much proof! and that sly woman (courtney) got away with it.

courtney love isn't sly..................she's dumber than a box of rocks so the theory she outsmarted everyone is ridiculous.
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    [quote="theanswersarefatal
    it's like i always say: The Foo Fighters were the best thing to happen to Nirvana.[/quote]

Agreed...

I am glad Dave Grohl chose to stay "Alive"..!

The FF music is brilliant ....

I like that he finally addressed Kurt's suicide in "Let it Die" too..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford