Babies out of wedlock

Comments

• ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    She was out of order, although not religeous, a few of my friends are incredibly committed christians, they would never dream of saying that to someone.
  • OMG! You're going to have an abominable baby!

mn013_abominable_snowman.jpg

:lol:

Congrats on being a future dad. :)
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    edited November 2009
    mbangel10 wrote:
    OMG! You're going to have an abominable baby!

I actually laughed.

And congrats Milarso!
    Post edited by keeponrockin on
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    I am an "unwed" mother of 2 beautiful little abominations!!! :twisted:
    Luckily I live in a land of open minded people where probably 50% of children are born into de facto families. My partner and I have been together for 14 years and have no intention in the forseeable future to get married, to me its just a piece of paper. We act the same as if we were married and because we are both atheists marriage to me is just a public commitment to your loved ones that you intend to stay with this person. Our families and friends know this to be the case without us having to spend a fortune on 1 day.
    Don't get me wrong I think marriage definately has its place in society - and I also love going to other peoples weddings - its just not for me.

Ignorance is bliss or should I say Fear is Ignorance. I feel sorry for someone who believes that they need to prove their faith by saying such hurtful ignorant things. :?:

Good luck to you and your girlfriend! Having a piece of paper wont make you a better father, and I'm sure that from what you have said you'll be a wonderful caring Dad!
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • Mm, "wedlock." Such a beautiful, attractive, delicious-sounding word.

I've never heard a married person use that term: "My husband and I share wedlock. Today is the anniversary of our wedlock. My fiance and I are going to have wedlock."
    "May you live in interesting times."
  • F*** I hate religous fanatics trying to push their views to everyone.
    I would have told her bluntly mind your own business, noone asked for your opinion.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    This is the beauty of free speech. She gets to display her ignorance publicly. I would just let it pass, trying to change her view is basically the same.

Congratulations!!!
    #FHP
  • mbangel10 wrote:
    OMG! You're going to have an abominable baby!

I actually laughed.

And congrats Milarso!

glad i am not alone there....really made me laugh!
    :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    you should have kicker her in the box
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Well done for keeping your cool, I would have found it hard not to tell her to fuck off and mind her own damn business.

I'm not against the idea of marriage, and there's no doubt that a child will benefit from being brought up with both their parents around, but there is no such thing as a perfect family set-up, and a marriage certificate isn't going to automatically change that.
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    1stly Tell her to fuck off.

2ndly Congratulations.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    First of all, congratulations!! :D

Secondly, for the record, I completely disagree with what the woman told you.

That being said, I don't think the people saying the woman damned or judged your baby are accurate. She sounds like she's just a well-intentioned lady with different beliefs than yours and mine who thought she could protect your child from hellfire and damnation by pursuading you to get married. She was trying to warn you of her perceived risk to the well-being of your child's soul. I agree that it was inappropriate for her to stick her nose in your business, especially if you have only a work relationship. I'm just saying I don't think her intentions were bad or anything. Sorry that happend to you though.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    scb wrote:

That being said, I don't think the people saying the woman damned or judged your baby are accurate. She sounds like she's just a well-intentioned lady with different beliefs than yours and mine who thought she could protect your child from hellfire and damnation by pursuading you to get married. She was trying to warn you of her perceived risk to the well-being of your child's soul. I agree that it was inappropriate for her to stick her nose in your business, especially if you have only a work relationship. I'm just saying I don't think her intentions were bad or anything. Sorry that happend to you though.

oh yes i can see how saying his child is an abomination was well meaning. :roll:

and yes she did damn his unborn child.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    scb wrote:

who cares what her intentions were? when i drove home drunk, my intentions were just to get home and in bed. that make it ok? she's a bitch and needs to hear it.
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    That woman sounds like my southern baptist ex mother-in-law! When she found out my ex got me preggos when we were 19, she had us married is 2 weeks. It was a big wedding too! Neither of us even considered marriage, but she kept saying she didn't want us to have a bastard baby! Back then the baby's last name had to be the mothers, so she had a valid concern there, but whole moly, she proposed to me, not him.
    Don't be pressured. You know what is what or not.
    Save room for dessert!
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    scb wrote:

oh yes i can see how saying his child is an abomination was well meaning. :roll:

My point is that SHE didn't say the child was an abomination; she said "An abomination in the eyes of God." That means she was telling him that GOD would think his child was an abomination, and that's significant to her because she thinks there will be negative consequences for the child if that's what GOD thinks. That's not a judgement of the child on her part. I'm not really trying to defend her here, but I think the accusations should be accurate.
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    milarso wrote:
    I already talked about this a little in another thread so I'll give the Readers Digest version here for the first part.
    Long story short, my old girlfriend, with whom I hooked up with recently, found out she's pregnant. I'm acting under the assumption that it's mine, and we've decided to keep it. We decided to give our relationship another shot, but have made no plans to get married. I'm not saying it isn't going to happen, but it's not going to happen anytime soon. We are trying to do this for the right reasons.

Anyway- I told some of my friends at work that I was going to be a dad, and everyone was really congratulatory and supportive. The news got around the office pretty quickly. As I was leaving yesterday, a lady who works in the advertising department (I work at a newspaper), who I don't really know pulled me aside and started asking me some really personal questions about how I wasn't wearing a wedding ring and if me and my old girlfriend were going to get married.
    I just smiled and tried to be polite. Then she told me that if we weren't married when the baby was born, our baby would be (I swear these are her exact words), "An abomination in the eyes of God."
    I had to try really hard not to explode and tell her off in the parking lot, but I just kind of laughed it off and told her it was something my girl and I were going to decide on our own.

But seriously? How in the world could any baby be an abomination? Wtf.
    I'll go out on a limb here...
    She's too ugly to fuck, isn't she?
    How far out on the limb did I go?
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    Cosmo wrote:
    I'll go out on a limb here...
    She's too ugly to fuck, isn't she?
    How far out on the limb did I go?

"How come all the people who are against abortion are people you wouldn't want to fuck in the first place?" -- George Carlin

No, but seriously, you're spot on.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    scb wrote:
    scb wrote:

My point is that SHE didn't say the child was an abomination; she said "An abomination in the eyes of God." That means she was telling him that GOD would think his child was an abomination, and that's significant to her because she thinks there will be negative consequences for the child if that's what GOD thinks. That's not a judgement of the child on her part. I'm not really trying to defend her here, but I think the accusations should be accurate.

well im calling horseshit scb. the comment came from a God fearing person ergo....
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Just report her. I am so sick of people pushing their crap on other people. We are going backwards because closeted white christians miss the good ole days.

They were not good! Look it up! It just looks good in the rearviewmirror. Oh, and I guess if you had the power then you'd like it the same way again.

Let's just divide the country into halves and the jesus freaks can have the South.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Just report her. I am so sick of people pushing their crap on other people. We are going backwards because closeted white christians miss the good ole days.

They were not good! Look it up! It just looks good in the rearviewmirror. Oh, and I guess if you had the power then you'd like it the same way again.

Let's just divide the country into halves and the jesus freaks can have the South.
    Don't get your knickers in a knot mate- feeling the Australian thing
    there's plenty of reasonable people in the south- its the "generalizing" that really hurts all people
    scb wrote:
    I'm not really trying to defend her here.

i'd say you are.

i'm totally on board with this plan.

And then we'll have a big war - oops wait we already did that-

its lumping people into categories without trying to understand them that results in comments like this one-
    so quick to judge when we should try to understand
    pandora wrote:

And then we'll have a big war - oops wait we already did that-

its lumping people into categories without trying to understand them that results in comments like this one-
    so quick to judge when we should try to understand

not quick to judge. took me years to arrive at this conclusion. no need for a war, we should've just let the inbreds leave the first time. they could've set up a nice, repressive theocracy i'd never have to deal with and left enlightened government to the rest of us.
    Ah soulsinging sounds extremely idealistic- I like that in a person, its eternally hopeful.
    I think you and many should realize the south is not full of what you think-
    there comes the generalizing- it wouldn't be kind or fair for me to generalize other areas of the country by reputation alone and we know that can certainly be done.
    I am a Yankee enjoying southern weather like a hell of a lot of others here - don't really feel a kinship- midwest girl at heart- but I just think it unwise to categorize people most especially when the poster of the thread sighted a run in with a clearly religious fanatic who doesn't represent most people I've come in contact with in the South.

I do think ya'll were just foolin though
  • I grew up in the South, and I moved to the North on purpose. I may be biased, but though there may be nice people there is a majority of voters and a vocal minority of the population that pushes christianity down everyone's throats.

When I said let the Jesus freaks have the South I meant that the North gets rid of theirs too and we accept the rational folk from the South. because you're right. they do exist.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
    I grew up in the South, and I moved to the North on purpose. I may be biased, but though there may be nice people there is a majority of voters and a vocal minority of the population that pushes christianity down everyone's throats.

When I said let the Jesus freaks have the South I meant that the North gets rid of theirs too and we accept the rational folk from the South. because you're right. they do exist.
    Ok for that I guess but lets locate the rational ones in the south cause those winters are irrational to me ;)
    pandora wrote:
    Ah soulsinging sounds extremely idealistic- I like that in a person, its eternally hopeful.
    I think you and many should realize the south is not full of what you think-
    there comes the generalizing- it wouldn't be kind or fair for me to generalize other areas of the country by reputation alone and we know that can certainly be done.
    I am a Yankee enjoying southern weather like a hell of a lot of others here - don't really feel a kinship- midwest girl at heart- but I just think it unwise to categorize people most especially when the poster of the thread sighted a run in with a clearly religious fanatic who doesn't represent most people I've come in contact with in the South.

I do think ya'll were just foolin though

i'm definitely not fooling. yeah, they have nicer weather, but they're polluting our collective subconscious with their bullshit. sure there are reasonable people there and unreasonable people up here, but the proportions are a lot higher in jesus country. fuck em. we'd be better off without them. i've got my beefs with the midwest, but they learned how to be conservative without being an inbred superstititious bibel thumper for the most part.
    wow you must come from a perfect place?????