Options

I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    brianlux said:
    OK, but seriously, Sun Ra is ALWAYS a temptation for me.  But last year I already spent (what for me anyway) an ungodly amount of money on Sun Ra records (including some double LPs)  and I've been expanding my jazz LP's in general this years.  I'll really have to think long and hard on this one- that's about $70 US, ouch!
    😂 I hear you Bri. It was $98 CDN including shipping for me. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,682
    brianlux said:
    OK, but seriously, Sun Ra is ALWAYS a temptation for me.  But last year I already spent (what for me anyway) an ungodly amount of money on Sun Ra records (including some double LPs)  and I've been expanding my jazz LP's in general this years.  I'll really have to think long and hard on this one- that's about $70 US, ouch!

Hey, if you can swing it and are a Sun Ra fan, good for you!  :smile:  Would love to hear how you like it once it shows up!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,488
    edited May 2021
    Just ordered this… a heads up for any other Sun Ra fans out there - the first official repress of Lanquidity since 1978 is coming in June. Pre-order of a 45 rpm 4 LP LE (4000 copies) box set for €50.00 is up here:
    https://sunrastrut.bandcamp.com/album/lanquidity-definitive-edition

Apparently a single LP version will be available later as well.  

EDIT - saw this was also available for pre-order on Amazon. Amazon ore-orders are a crapshoot I’m led to believe. 
    I had a bad experience with Amazon with a pre order. I pre ordered all 3 Uncle Tupelo MOV albums which were limited to 1500 copies each in January. They gave a shipping date about month after the release date. I went ahead with it because they came  with free downloads and I figured Amazon wouldn’t have a problem getting copies. The day they were supposed to ship, a month after I could have gotten them from a record store if they got copies, I got an email saying that they were unable to get the albums and were canceling the order, but that I was being charged for the downloads at $9.99 each. I called their customer service and complained, so they refunded the cost of the downloads. I was fortunate enough to be able to locate all 3 albums eventually, from a few different sources. I am probably going to stay away from doing that again. 
    Post edited by JeBurkhardt on
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Just ordered this… a heads up for any other Sun Ra fans out there - the first official repress of Lanquidity since 1978 is coming in June. Pre-order of a 45 rpm 4 LP LE (4000 copies) box set for €50.00 is up here:

EDIT - saw this was also available for pre-order on Amazon. Amazon ore-orders are a crapshoot I’m led to believe. 
    I had a bad experience with Amazon with a pre order. I pre ordered all 3 Uncle Tupelo MOV albums which were limited to 1500 copies each in January. They gave a shipping date about month after the release date. I went ahead with it because they came  with free downloads and I figured Amazon wouldn’t have a problem getting copies. The day they were supposed to ship, a month after I could have gotten them from a record store if they got copies, I got an email saying that they were unable to get the albums and were canceling the order, but that I was being charged for the downloads at $9.99 each. I called their customer service and complained, so they refunded the cost of the downloads. I was fortunate enough to be able to locate all 3 albums eventually, from a few different sources. I am probably going to stay away from doing that again. 
    Yeah that’s what I’ve read on here and some other vinyl boards. I wanted this so I’m going to the source for it and pay a few bucks for shipping. 

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Hey, if you can swing it and are a Sun Ra fan, good for you!  :smile:  Would love to hear how you like it once it shows up!
    I’ll definitely let you know! It will be here before August 5th they said. I hope it’s a little quicker than that 
  • Options
    qontheboardqontheboard Posts: 773
    Best Of Billy Bragg At The BBC 1983 - 2019
    Best of MORRISSEY

Morrissey is such a wanker, but I still like to listen.
  • Options

Yeah that’s what I’ve read on here and some other vinyl boards. I wanted this so I’m going to the source for it and pay a few bucks for shipping. 

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I’ll definitely let you know! It will be here before August 5th they said. I hope it’s a little quicker than that 

August 5th, my birthday!  Let me give you my address...  :lol:
    Just kidding of course- enjoy it! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,689
    now shipping

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,654
    Got my shipment confirmation for the acoustic sounds Kind of Blue reissue. Should be here either late this week or early next week. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    pjpjpaul said:
    Got my shipment confirmation for the acoustic sounds Kind of Blue reissue. Should be here either late this week or early next week. 
    I did too. Can’t wait I compare this to the 45 Mofi.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,627
    MedozK said:
    pjpjpaul said:
    I did too. Can’t wait I compare this to the 45 Mofi.
    Did you read the write up from Fremer at analog planet? He said it's the best version ever.  He's also not a huge fan of the mofi.
  • Options
    Looks like I will have lots of new amazing music to listen to this weekend.  Just arrived today:
    Nefertiti The Beautiful One Has Come Vinyl LP Compilation album coverThe Vibration ContinuesA Retrospective Of The Years 1968-1976 Vinyl LP Compilation album coverManhattan Symphonie Vinyl LP Album Stereo album coverSophisticated Giant Vinyl LP Album album coverMore  Experience Jimi Hendrix Titles From The Original Sound Track Of The Feature Length Motion Picture Volume Two Vinyl LP Album album cover

• Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,996
    ^^ never seen that Hendrix album before 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Should have mine by early next week. Excited!
  • Options
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I saw on their site that the first 6k shipped.  I didn't get a notice. 
  • Options
    LukinFan said:
    ^^ never seen that Hendrix album before 

I never had either.  I have a bunch of weird Hendrix albums including these:
    and this one that I keep with my Hendrix stuff because it was influenced by the death of Jimi Hendrix:

Kapt Kopter And The Fabulous Twirly Birds Vinyl LP Album Stereo album cover

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    Kapt Koptr?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I saw on their site that the first 6k shipped.  I didn't get a notice. 
    Right now my tracking says my copy should arrive tomorrow but given that it's FedEx who knows if that will actually be the case or not. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    Kapt Koptr?

Oh yeah!  Randy Craig Wolfe was dubbed "Randy California" by Jimi Hendrix and played with him in Jimmy James and the Blue Flames.

You can hear the obvious Hendrix influence in his song like "Downer"  but my favorite song from that album is "Devil"

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    brianlux said:
    Kapt Koptr?

Oh yeah!  Randy Craig Wolfe was dubbed "Randy California" by Jimi Hendrix and played with him in Jimmy James and the Blue Flames.

You can hear the obvious Hendrix influence in his song like "Downer"  but my favorite song from that album is "Devil"

Jimmy James.  Interesting.  I used to call my friend Jimmy that.  The reason though was that he was a descendant of the James outlaw family.  Thought I had come up w that all on my own.  Guess not, lol.

I would be interested in finding this record.  It sounds interesting.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Kapt Koptr?

Jimmy James.  Interesting.  I used to call my friend Jimmy that.  The reason though was that he was a descendant of the James outlaw family.  Thought I had come up w that all on my own.  Guess not, lol.

I would be interested in finding this record.  It sounds interesting.

It is indeed.  I lucked out big time a few years ago when I came across an excellent copy in a thrift store for $1.  Not all of it is great, but what is makes it worth having.  And I love that cover!

• Options
    Just arrived... no info on discogs yet,  but it's Rhino records.  That's all I know right now.  Very mysterious release. 

• Options

Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,649
    That looks real nice ^^^
  • Options
    May 30th said:
    That looks real nice ^^^
    It sounds phenomenal. A little less bass heavy and more balanced than some other pressings I have and it is dead quiet. Packaging is very well done too. I'll be spinning this for a while. Hope I can grab one of the 45 rpm versions when they are released as well. So glad Chad and AP take such great care with these classic albums. It feels like Miles and the band are in the room. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    pjpjpaul said:
    May 30th said:
    That looks real nice ^^^
    It sounds phenomenal. A little less bass heavy and more balanced than some other pressings I have and it is dead quiet. Packaging is very well done too. I'll be spinning this for a while. Hope I can grab one of the 45 rpm versions when they are released as well. So glad Chad and AP take such great care with these classic albums. It feels like Miles and the band are in the room. 
    So your best version?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    pjpjpaul said:
    May 30th said:
    That looks real nice ^^^
    So your best version?
    Yes. I don't have the mofi but I have a few very good pressings and this really blows them away as far as detail and clarity/soumdstage are concerned. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    pjpjpaul said:

Received mine today also #1210 and #1227. Need time to sit down and really listen to this one and a few more APs I have gotten in the last few days. 
  • Options
    MedozK said:
    pjpjpaul said:

Received mine today also #1210 and #1227. Need time to sit down and really listen to this one and a few more APs I have gotten in the last few days. 
    Nice!
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    PJ 20 night 1