I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,646
    mrussel1 said:
    ikiT said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Ok this one is a bit different for me,  but I like expanding the horizons. 6 lp 45 rpm

talk about a rabbit hole...
    Yes, but I'm pretty much through any discovery on rock and roll.  So I've moved heavily into jazz and now some classical.
    How is your Blues collection? 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,295
    pjpjpaul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ikiT said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Ok this one is a bit different for me,  but I like expanding the horizons. 6 lp 45 rpm

talk about a rabbit hole...
    Yes, but I'm pretty much through any discovery on rock and roll.  So I've moved heavily into jazz and now some classical.
    How is your Blues collection? 

sad
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • toolietoolie Posts: 388
    Just showed up today:

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,625
    edited December 2020
    toolie said:
    Just showed up today:

Enjoy! I am not a huge jazz listener. I think I just don't know that much about it. But yesterday I was in my record store and I really liked the record that was being played. I asked the guy who it was, and he said Lee Morgan. It wasn't this album, but it was on Blue Note. I just remember the cover was very colorful. I was thinking about buying it, but wanted to do more research on the genre to see who else I might like. I know I like Dave Brubeck, so just starting to explore others.

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,592
    GlowGirl said:
    toolie said:
    Just showed up today:

Enjoy! I am not a huge jazz listener. I think I just don't know that much about it. But yesterday I was in my record store and I really liked the record that was being played. I asked the guy who it was, and he said Lee Morgan. It wasn't this album, but it was on Blue Note. I just remember the cover was very colorful. I was thinking about buying it, but wanted to do more research on the genre to see who else I might like. I know I like Dave Brubeck, so just starting to explore others.

Well those are two great guys to start with! Jazz is wonderful,  just a different vibe 
    toolie said:
    Just showed up today:

Awesome.  I need the McCoy one.  Sidewinder sounds great
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    mrussel1 said:
    toolie said:
    Just showed up today:

Yep,I need the McCoy also, I have SO many records ordered already..... and so many more on my want list.... I'm running out of room. lol
  • Anyone got a Tracy Chapman record for sale?
    GlowGirl said:
    toolie said:
    Just showed up today:

Me too, this is all pretty new to me, I’m usually a punk/metal guy lol. My daughter plays trumpet in her high school band so I’m trying to learn about jazz as well as keep her excited about trumpeting.  The Lee Morgan record is awesome, I will definitely be looking more up. His story is pretty crazy - left New York to fight a heroin addiction, ended up getting shot and killed by his common law wife when he was 33 😳. 
    mrussel1 said:
    toolie said:
    Just showed up today:

Ya I love the sound on these. They did a fantastic job so far. McCoy Tyner will get the first spin tonight 😃
    toolie said:
    GlowGirl said:
    toolie said:
    Just showed up today:

Me too, this is all pretty new to me, I’m usually a punk/metal guy lol. My daughter plays trumpet in her high school band so I’m trying to learn about jazz as well as keep her excited about trumpeting.  The Lee Morgan record is awesome, I will definitely be looking more up. His story is pretty crazy - left New York to fight a heroin addiction, ended up getting shot and killed by his common law wife when he was 33 😳. 
    It's really sad how many of these jazz musicians were afflicted by addiction, particularly heroin.  Not much different than rock.  

Enjoy your journey into jazz.  
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,625

I love this movie and soundtrack. 
    Kevin Gray AAA Cut

and the Analogue Productions

MedozK said:
    Kevin Gray AAA Cut

Where did you get the Christmas one? Acoustic Sounds or available more widely?
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    Kevin Gray AAA Cut

Where did you get the Christmas one? Acoustic Sounds or available more widely?
    Acoustic Sounds, will break that one open this week end.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554
    mrussel1 said:
    toolie said:
    GlowGirl said:
    toolie said:
    Just showed up today:

It's really sad how many of these jazz musicians were afflicted by addiction, particularly heroin.  Not much different than rock.  

Enjoy your journey into jazz.  

Narcotics addiction has been a problem with some jazz musicians, of that there is no doubt, but it is a problem that has historically been over-emphasized and in some cases exaggerated, and that has not helped jazz in the least. 

I wanted to post some things in my jazz music books but it would take a long time to go through them all to find the quotes.  Instead, I found the following which very much illustrates what I mean and comes from the words of several jazz people who would know about all this very well.  Worth the read on this topic:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Got my 8 copies of Taylor Swift's Folklore today, I just went ahead and picked up all 8 cover variations when they went on sale.
    MedozK said:
    Got my 8 copies of Taylor Swift's Folklore today, I just went ahead and picked up all 8 cover variations when they went on sale.
    Joke?
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    Joke?
    No, I really like the album... and I do have that collector mentality. I'll actually leave them all sealed and only play the Target Exclusive I have....so I guess I have 9 copies..lol
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,432
    A friend bought The Beatles Rubber Soul on an auction because the price was so low he couldn't pass it up. I didn't know he had done that, but mentioned I had almost bought a copy of Rubber Soul, but put it back. He stopped by the next day with the album and told me Merry Christmas. 
  • DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 629
    A friend bought The Beatles Rubber Soul on an auction because the price was so low he couldn't pass it up. I didn't know he had done that, but mentioned I had almost bought a copy of Rubber Soul, but put it back. He stopped by the next day with the album and told me Merry Christmas. 
    That's an awesome friend right there.
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    LOVE IT
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,518
    Really cant beat the Beatles. I binged out on them for a while.  Good record karma there to your bud. I sent my friend my confrontation, bob marley, and since he hooked me up with a crazy bowie and a wipers lp I haven't listened to yet.
     Keep passing that wax around!!
  • Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,839
    edited December 2020

Deadwood - Television Series Soundtrack. One of the greatest shows ever and a great soundtrack.....  Happy to finally own this...
    Post edited by Attaway77 on
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    Joke?

Now we know who these belong to!
    Room #1
    Worlds biggest music collection for sale on eBay - Tamebay
    Basement:
    Radio France to Sell 15 Million Strong Record Collection
    And "to be sorted" pile:
    Trying to Sell the Worlds Largest Record Collection

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Ha!
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,796
    edited December 2020
    Didn't know there was a 12'' single of "Hemma vid ett hav". 7'' is a shit format (unless they have a spine like that AiC double single), but found out about the 12'' one on Discogs and it was being sold from a store here in town - and they said they would hold it for me over Christmas. Even got it s dollars cheaper than the Dicsogs price.

Obviously 12'' singles/Albums without a spine sucks too. So, I'm not very consistent.

https://youtu.be/Xs4cwkGXIMQ
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,432
    DC29940 said:
    Yes he is. We have done this for each other a few times. I saw a live Radiohead LP at a local store, and knowing he is a huge fan (he has their entire available studio discography on vinyl), I picked it up and gave it to him. He loved it.   
  • DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 629
    DC29940 said:
    Yes he is. We have done this for each other a few times. I saw a live Radiohead LP at a local store, and knowing he is a huge fan (he has their entire available studio discography on vinyl), I picked it up and gave it to him. He loved it.   
    I have a buddy where we do this too. We always surprise each other with a record for the other's bday, but then trade a couple here and there throughout the year if we see something we think the other would like. Like I just sent him a copy of the Target purple Ten since his favorite color is purple and he didn't own Ten yet.
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20