Options

I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    So Abbey Road and Stones are finally remastering Some Girls.  They also have some version of Exile coming out, along with Sticky Fingers.  It's confusing because Abbey Road just did a half speed remaster of Exile a few years ago.  It got mixed reviews.  I have it and find it pretty good.  I prefer my original US though. 
    Anyway, back to Some Girls, I'm happy that this is finally getting a new treatment.  I've had my shares of copies and they all seem to have something wrong with them.  I hear the Dutch orange version is the best, but I've never tracked it down.  
    So here's the link for those that are interested.  It's strange how they describe the lineage, but I interpret it as 'digital'.  But on Amazon it's $18 bucks and 180 grams, so what the hell, that's dirt cheap for the Stones.  https://shop.abbeyroad.com/Vinyl/*/Some-Girls-Half-Speed-Master/6HD600000KW

• Options
    toolietoolie Posts: 388
    edited June 2020
    Picked these up today.
    Post edited by toolie on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    MedozK said:
    Knocked a couple off my want list today. Analogue Productions 33.3 rpm versions.

Fantastic!  Two essential LPs!  Way to go!
    mrussel1 said:

Excellent!  A great album!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    MedozK said:
    Knocked a couple off my want list today. Analogue Productions 33.3 rpm versions.

Fantastic!  Two essential LPs!  Way to go!
    mrussel1 said:

Excellent!  A great album!

There's a lot of jazz people roaming the PJ boards.  I like it.  
  • Options
    toolie said:
    Picked these up today.
    Darkness gets all the love, but Nebraska is a masterpiece. 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    pjpjpaul said:

Holy crap!  No kidding?  Haven't seen any reviews yet but AllMusic (couldn't find it on Discogs) says it was recorded at Palo Alto High School (AKA "Paly") a rival school where I grew up (I went to Cubberley).  Crazy!  Does it say what year recorded.  This blows my mind.   I'll have to check this out.

EDIT:  I see it's a pre-order.  Will look forward to hearing more about it. 
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited June 2020
    Fathers Day gift from my wife:

OK Computer (XL repress)
    Bruce Springsteen Greatest Hits
    Thom Yorke Tomorrow’s Modern Boxes
    :sunglasses:

(The mug is from the cat)
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited June 2020

Ordered these tonight from a store in Vancouver. If for some reason you haven’t heard the frog brigade album, Spotify it. 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,006
    mrussel1 said:
    toolie said:
    Picked these up today.
    Darkness gets all the love, but Nebraska is a masterpiece. 
    I'm not a Bruce dork. But I fell in love with Nebraska when I spun it. 

My lyrics are in french though. So my copy must be - from france.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,655
    brianlux said:
    pjpjpaul said:

Holy crap!  No kidding?  Haven't seen any reviews yet but AllMusic (couldn't find it on Discogs) says it was recorded at Palo Alto High School (AKA "Paly") a rival school where I grew up (I went to Cubberley).  Crazy!  Does it say what year recorded.  This blows my mind.   I'll have to check this out.

Description from Jazzwise-

"In the autumn of 1968, a sixteen-year-old boy named Danny Scher had a dream. He wanted to bring Thelonious Monk and his quartet to play a benefit concert at his high school in Palo Alto, California, in order to raise funds for his school and to help bring about racial unity in his community.

Armed with little more than a telephone, a persuasive pitch, an impressive knowledge of jazz and an iron-willed determination, Scher made the concert happen on Sunday, 27 October 1968. The concert was also recorded and lay, forgotten, in the vaults – until now.

On 31 July, Impulse! Records will release the previously unheard and unreleased High School recording in its entirety, via DSPs, on vinyl and on CD and vinyl.

The vibrant 47-minute set spotlights Monk’s steady touring band (tenor saxophonist Charlie Rouse, bassist Larry Gales and drummer Ben Riley) and features his basic touring repertoire. Included in the mix is Monk’s lyrical love song ‘Ruby My Dear’; a spirited ‘Well You Needn’t with solos by all bandmembers; the pianist’s captivating solo reading of ‘Don’t Blame Me’ by Jimmy McHugh; an epic dance through ‘Blue Monk’; and a playful charge through ‘Epistrophy’ (available as a single now).

The show ends with a truncated encore of the 1925 Tin Pan Alley hit tune by Rudy Vallée, ‘I Love You (Sweetheart of All My Dreams)’ and after a standing ovation, Monk saying his goodbyes because they had to leave to make their San Francisco date that evening."

Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    pjpjpaul said:
    brianlux said:
    pjpjpaul said:

"In the autumn of 1968, a sixteen-year-old boy named Danny Scher had a dream. He wanted to bring Thelonious Monk and his quartet to play a benefit concert at his high school in Palo Alto, California, in order to raise funds for his school and to help bring about racial unity in his community.

Armed with little more than a telephone, a persuasive pitch, an impressive knowledge of jazz and an iron-willed determination, Scher made the concert happen on Sunday, 27 October 1968. The concert was also recorded and lay, forgotten, in the vaults – until now.

On 31 July, Impulse! Records will release the previously unheard and unreleased High School recording in its entirety, via DSPs, on vinyl and on CD and vinyl.

The vibrant 47-minute set spotlights Monk’s steady touring band (tenor saxophonist Charlie Rouse, bassist Larry Gales and drummer Ben Riley) and features his basic touring repertoire. Included in the mix is Monk’s lyrical love song ‘Ruby My Dear’; a spirited ‘Well You Needn’t with solos by all bandmembers; the pianist’s captivating solo reading of ‘Don’t Blame Me’ by Jimmy McHugh; an epic dance through ‘Blue Monk’; and a playful charge through ‘Epistrophy’ (available as a single now).

The show ends with a truncated encore of the 1925 Tin Pan Alley hit tune by Rudy Vallée, ‘I Love You (Sweetheart of All My Dreams)’ and after a standing ovation, Monk saying his goodbyes because they had to leave to make their San Francisco date that evening."

I read this as well.  It sounds interesting.  My only hesitation is that it said the janitor recorded it.  So I'm not sure about the quality.  
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,776
    mrussel1 said:
    pjpjpaul said:
    brianlux said:
    pjpjpaul said:

I read this as well.  It sounds interesting.  My only hesitation is that it said the janitor recorded it.  So I'm not sure about the quality.  
    epistrophy is available on itunes or apple music....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjpjpaul said:
    brianlux said:
    pjpjpaul said:

Epistrophy?
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    mrussel1 said:
    pjpjpaul said:
    brianlux said:
    pjpjpaul said:

HA, that was my thought as well.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjpjpaul said:
    brianlux said:
    pjpjpaul said:

Epistrophy?
    song.  "single" thats been released.

I know its digital. but you could get some kind of sense of quality.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjpjpaul said:
    brianlux said:
    pjpjpaul said:

Epistrophy?

Ah okay.  I don't use any streaming service.  How is the quality,  if you listened?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjpjpaul said:
    brianlux said:
    pjpjpaul said:

Epistrophy?

Ah okay.  I don't use any streaming service.  How is the quality,  if you listened?
    let you know....

• Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,924
    Continuing with the recent jazz themes, I just got Miles Davis's "Kind of Blue" (as well as The Roots' "Game Theory").  I really dig "Kind of Blue" and am looking at getting "Bitches Brew" or "Sketches of Spain" next; will listen to recommendations if anyone has any.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,868
    edited June 2020
     Geoffrey Oryema. Exile
    Post edited by hrd2imgn on
  • Options
    Continuing with the recent jazz themes, I just got Miles Davis's "Kind of Blue" (as well as The Roots' "Game Theory").  I really dig "Kind of Blue" and am looking at getting "Bitches Brew" or "Sketches of Spain" next; will listen to recommendations if anyone has any.
    ton of stuff. maybe look for most acclaimed title s of each period. dude was an explorer for sure. maybe look to streaming to see what grabs you

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjpjpaul said:
    brianlux said:
    pjpjpaul said:

Epistrophy?

hmm for a nonprofessional recording, its not bad.  gonna guess single mic placed closest to bass player

• Options
    pjpjpaul said:
    brianlux said:
    pjpjpaul said:

OH man!  First half of my senior year in high school.  Knowing what I know now, I'd have cut class and hoofed it over to Paly.  Where's a time machine when you need one!

Thanks for the info, pjpjpaul !

• Options

Another must have Miles: Jack Johnson

Miles Davis - A Tribute To Jack Johnson Vinyl  Discogs

• Options
    brianlux said:

That and Bitches Brew are VERY different from Kind of Blue.  I feel like it's a whole different genre. 
  • Options
    Are you just getting into jazz?  If so, Bitches Brew may not be the right next record.  It's very different.  KOB is modal jazz whereas Bitches is experimental, avant garde.  The next step for you might be something like John Coltrane "Blue Train" or "Love Supreme".  They are closer to the modal sound, although a bit more faster paced.  
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Yea, Bitches Brew is not your typical "Jazz". Might want to ease into that one.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

That and Bitches Brew are VERY different from Kind of Blue.  I feel like it's a whole different genre. 

Definitely.  All three are amazing.  And somewhere between those spaces:

Miles Davis Quintet - Miles Smiles 1977 Vinyl  Discogs

• Options
    MedozK said:
    Yea, Bitches Brew is not your typical "Jazz". Might want to ease into that one.

True.  But oh so easy to ease into (for me it was anyway).

• Options
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

I don't have that one,  but I do have a MOFI version of Jack Johnson which is phenomenal.  I'll have to check out Smiles
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

I don't have that one,  but I do have a MOFI version of Jack Johnson which is phenomenal.  I'll have to check out Smiles

Good plan!

That and the other three are all I have.  Any other favorites?