Options

I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,877
    A day early!

A classic of audio engineering... AA-1086 Bernie G 1977. Some dispute whether this is as good as the AB, but for 5 bucks, what the hell..

1978 original press. Perhaps a little redundant if you have the other records, but every song on here is awesome. Like listening to a Tom Petty greatest hits.

• Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,429
    ^^^ Picking up that Animals reissue is on my list of things to do for tomorrow.
  • Options

^^^ Picking up that Animals reissue is on my list of things to do for tomorrow.

Sounds like a worthy objective for the day.
  • Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Tomorrow is my birthday and I've been waiting on that Animals reissue. Might also pick up The Rolling Stones Blue and Lonesome
  • Options
    bflynn1 said:

Tomorrow is my birthday and I've been waiting on that Animals reissue. Might also pick up The Rolling Stones Blue and Lonesome

I am definitely getting that but might wait to out it on a Christmas list for family. Records are a great gift and easy. I think the Stones do awesome blues. I'm really hoping this comes out great.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,373
    Neil Young 'Official Release Series Discs 8.5 - 12' box set arrived today :)

Long May You Run
    American Stars 'n Bars
    Comes A Time
    Rust Never Sleeps
    Live Rust
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364

Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    bflynn1 said:

Oh and Happy Birthday!
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    bflynn1 said:

Happy Birthday. I am definitely going out today and getting Animals... I think I am going to wait and read some review of the RS, I understand the music is great, but not sure about the vinyl yet.
  • Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Thanks for the birthday wishes guys
  • Options
    MedozK said:

bflynn1 said:

Happy Birthday. I am definitely going out today and getting Animals... I think I am going to wait and read some review of the RS, I understand the music is great, but not sure about the vinyl yet.
    I listened last night, if you are interested. Here are my impressions
    1. The packaging is a bit plain. It's a gatefold but nothing special like Dark side, Wish, The Wall. But it's fine.
    2. Vinyl is very heavy. Nice center label
    3. Vinyl is flat and quiet. It's nice.
    4. You know how Animals always sounded like there was a veil over the music? Just a bit muffled... it didn't have the clarity of the other 70's records by PF? Well it's still kind of there. In particular Dogs has that sound. It's clean and clear but still not as crisp. I've always wondered if that was intentional or a recording issue.
    Side B was a little bit stronger, but again I think that's how the CD has always been too. But it's strong and sounded very good. I was personally a little disassociated with the album on side A but really absorbed side B.

So no complaints at all. No problems with no fill, off center pressing, etc. I'm pleased with it.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    mrussel1 said:

MedozK said:

bflynn1 said:

1. The packaging is a bit plain. It's a gatefold but nothing special like Dark side, Wish, The Wall. But it's fine.
    4. You know how Animals always sounded like there was a veil over the music? Just a bit muffled... it didn't have the clarity of the other 70's records by PF? Well it's still kind of there. In particular Dogs has that sound. It's clean and clear but still not as crisp. I've always wondered if that was intentional or a recording issue.
    Side B was a little bit stronger, but again I think that's how the CD has always been too. But it's strong and sounded very good. I was personally a little disassociated with the album on side A but really absorbed side B.

So no complaints at all. No problems with no fill, off center pressing, etc. I'm pleased with it.
    Thanks for the review. Getting mine tonight, will let you know what I think. Hopefully mine's QC will be as good as yours.
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,429
    mrussel1 said:

MedozK said:

bflynn1 said:

Good to hear. Excited to pick this up after work. It may be my favorite Floyd album. I picked up the reissue of Meddle a few weeks back and to my ears it sounds great. Nice packaging job and is maybe the flattest piece of vinyl I own They've done a nice job with these reissues, my opinion.
  • Options

mrussel1 said:

MedozK said:

bflynn1 said:

Good to hear. Excited to pick this up after work. It may be my favorite Floyd album. I picked up the reissue of Meddle a few weeks back and to my ears it sounds great. Nice packaging job and is maybe the flattest piece of vinyl I own They've done a nice job with these reissues, my opinion.
    Meddle is fantastic! Echoes sounds really beautiful. I'm very happy with it. Generally very happy with the Floyd reissues.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

MedozK said:

bflynn1 said:

Meddle is fantastic! Echoes sounds really beautiful. I'm very happy with it. Generally very happy with the Floyd reissues.
    Yea, I have picked them all up except DSOTM. I have the 30th anniversary, so I didn't feel the need to double dip with that one.
  • Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    Metallica - Hardwired (Red Vinyl)
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    MedozK said:

mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

MedozK said:

bflynn1 said:

Yea, I have picked them all up except DSOTM. I have the 30th anniversary, so I didn't feel the need to double dip with that one.
    Is this the one you have? https://www.discogs.com/Pink-Floyd-The-Dark-Side-Of-The-Moon-30th-Anniversary/release/4288776

There are certain albums where I'll end up buying multiple to find the best version. This is one of them. And this version appears to be highly regarded.
  • Options
    Yes, here is a correct Discogs link, the one you linked to has lots of errors.

https://www.discogs.com/Pink-Floyd-The-Dark-Side-Of-The-Moon/release/457025
  • Options

So what's the word on this album? Is it pre Black Metallica or post Black?

Full disclosure, I'm an early Metallica adopter who hated Black album and quit listening to them after that. I was fortunate enough to see them in 86, when I was 13, open for Ozzy while Cliff was still alive. But I was just so annoyed with the Black album in 91. But then Nirvana, PJ, and the rest hit so I didn't need metal anymore. It was the only going in the late 80's when hair bands ruled the earth.
  • Options
    MedozK said:

AAA mastering which is what I want. But some criticism on surface noise. How is your copy? Is it noisy?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

MedozK said:

AAA mastering which is what I want. But some criticism on surface noise. How is your copy? Is it noisy?
    Mine is perfect, but I have read about that also.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    mrussel1 said:

So what's the word on this album? Is it pre Black Metallica or post Black?

Full disclosure, I'm an early Metallica adopter who hated Black album and quit listening to them after that. I was fortunate enough to see them in 86, when I was 13, open for Ozzy while Cliff was still alive. But I was just so annoyed with the Black album in 91. But then Nirvana, PJ, and the rest hit so I didn't need metal anymore. It was the only going in the late 80's when hair bands ruled the earth.
    Mixed bag. I think a few of the songs are great. Spit Out The Bone may be the best song they've written since Justice. The album as a whole may be the best since Black or Load. But based on your (and many others') opinion of Black, I know that isn't a strong endorsement.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    mrussel1 said:

MedozK said:

I have this version as well. No surface noise It's quite excellent.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    MedozK said:

mrussel1 said:

MedozK said:

Mine is perfect, but I have read about that also.
    I have this pressing too, not a 100% happy with it, looking to get it replaced. The packaging is amazing, but a couple of tracks have the annoying surface noise a few on Discogs mentioned. I'm starting to pick up original pressings these days of older albums as I find generally these sound the best. I recently got originals of Nevermind, Purple, Dirty by Sonic Youth and Pink Flag by Wire and they all sound top notch..
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • Options
    DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 652
    HUGE haul over the last couple of weeks:

The Strokes: "Angles" - Used, $6.50, perfect condition
    photo 9C9F3D3D-1DB1-41A2-8A0A-4CBD5096B2BB_zps3fprb8i3.jpg

Spoon "Kill The Moonlight" - New, $12, from a Popmarket sale
    photo 9870BCA3-47CE-4131-92EF-508E4356EAFC_zpsfqbamari.jpg

Kings of Leon "WALLS" - New, Indie blue marbled vinyl
    photo 0EFD0334-5180-46BC-8020-7E73DD1D2AE6_zpsj5afmjku.jpg

Sting "Ten Summoners Tails" - New 2016 pressing
    photo D33DF129-1758-4F26-B99B-81467DDBFC58_zpsnnwhqhxj.jpg

Extreme "Ponograffitti Live" - New RSD exclusive 2 LP red vinyl
    photo 48983330-9332-4DDF-AD6E-304F13BE229B_zpszm37ybvj.jpg

Extreme "III Sides To Every Story" - New 2016 MOV pressing, top notch all around (one of my all-time favorite albums!)
    photo 759C56A8-4DFC-4E5B-BC42-A83A2F4BEECC_zpsowhw11az.jpg

The Flaming Lips "Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots" - New. Had to pick it up after I just saw them live for the first time!
    photo 9A62CCBD-FC48-4089-A393-A58573EA2241_zpsrkaomvoo.jpg

Ryan Adams "29" - New, $10. Second to last RA album I didn't have on vinyl (now just need to track down a decently priced "Love Is Hell"
    photo 3A0439D6-092E-4DFD-8027-070D22DDF9A0_zpsrd5ud8bk.jpg

Jenny Lewis "The Voyager" - Used, $10
    photo 77D96A07-F441-4223-A148-E5ED146FAC38_zpswjtnnikw.jpg

Beck "Odelay" - New 2016 pressing
    photo E243DCE1-AFCB-4449-B719-ACBA45DC027E_zpsfddzmypl.jpg

Beck "Geuro" - New 2016 pressing.
    photo BCA919F2-07B5-49BA-B0D5-67ED29D4F994_zpsv7kyc5qb.jpg

Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder "Eddie Sings The Doors and Other Greats" - Found this boot in a record store in Milwaukee while on vacation a few weeks ago. Had to pick it up! Considering all the songs were recorded at different points throughout the last 25 years, it sounds pretty darn good. Not perfect, but I never expect perfect from a bootleg. Cool addition to the collection (even if the sleeve did get banged up in my carryon on the flight back home)
    photo 1C5D42CA-767A-4726-B65A-E520318491C2_zpsy5jjuqdq.jpg
    photo FD1DC462-9051-4DEB-A09B-8230A7443F19_zpszwkyesb1.jpg
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 4.13.12
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Los Angeles 1 5.22.24
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
  • Options
    Wow that is a fresh boot. Has the Philly show on it. Who booted that thing? Is there a label?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Wow that is a fresh boot. Has the Philly show on it. Who booted that thing? Is there a label?

"Fresh" is exactly what I thought when I saw it. Literally no other information on it. This is what the label looks like on both sides:
    photo C0A1E363-686B-4D30-9D28-001F68BA1C6B_zpspnv4t3jr.jpg
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 4.13.12
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Los Angeles 1 5.22.24
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
  • Options
    DC29940 said:

mrussel1 said:

"Fresh" is exactly what I thought when I saw it. Literally no other information on it. This is what the label looks like on both sides:
    Guess that's how you avoid paying royalties or being sued...
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

DC29940 said:

mrussel1 said:

Guess that's how you avoid paying royalties or being sued...
    There is a Discogs entry for it. Looks like it was pressed in the UK.
    https://www.discogs.com/Pearl-Jam-Eddie-Sings-The-Doors-And-Other-Greats/release/9260958
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 4.13.12
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18