The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Bhahahahhahahha. Gardner owns darvish. It's insane
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,758
    Barring any injury, Jeter will have 6th place to himself for awhile.
    I miss igotid88
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Where's all this power coming from with Gardner!?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    Brett Gardner
    Remember the days when the Yankees hit too many home runs? :))
    Can't believe it's already 7 years that Girardi has been Yankee manager. I was thinking like 3 or 4
    I miss igotid88

Brett Gardner

Someone is going to get a surprise drug test
    I miss igotid88
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,759
    edited July 2014
    igotid88 said:

Brett Gardner

Someone is going to get a surprise drug test
    HAHA>you might be right though.

How many HR's has he hit to LF?
    Post edited by cutz on
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe Posts: 4,957
    Gardner again! Wow!
  • EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,519
    Stephen Drew on way to Yankees. Weird. Not sure what they gave up, yet.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
    And now Martin Prado. They are definitely aiming to shore up their infield D here. I think Prado will play OF until Beltran is ready, then Jeter will be shifting to DH as long as Tex is healthy. Then you have an infield of Tex, Prado, Drew and Headley. That is a very good defensive infield that can hit.

Obviously, Jeter will still play SS, but you didn't acquire these guys to be shifting them all over the infield. Of course, if Tex is hurt or can't play 1B, Headley will probably shift over to 1B with Drew to 3B and Jeter at SS.

Wish they got a SP, but these are nice (cheap - Kelly Johnson was for Drew not sure on Prado, yet but can't imagine its much more than that) pick ups
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe Posts: 4,957

And now Martin Prado. They are definitely aiming to shore up their infield D here. I think Prado will play OF until Beltran is ready, then Jeter will be shifting to DH as long as Tex is healthy. Then you have an infield of Tex, Prado, Drew and Headley. That is a very good defensive infield that can hit.

Obviously, Jeter will still play SS, but you didn't acquire these guys to be shifting them all over the infield. Of course, if Tex is hurt or can't play 1B, Headley will probably shift over to 1B with Drew to 3B and Jeter at SS.

Wish they got a SP, but these are nice (cheap - Kelly Johnson was for Drew not sure on Prado, yet but can't imagine its much more than that) pick ups

I don't think Drew has never played third in his career, or second. Leave Headley at third. I personally hope Drew rides the pine with his sub .200 batting average. Might as well keep running Ryan out there out of position. I think he's at least hitting 205. Not sure about the Drew trade.

I don't think Drew has never played third in his career, or second. Leave Headley at third. I personally hope Drew rides the pine with his sub .200 batting average. Might as well keep running Ryan out there out of position. I think he's at least hitting 205. Not sure about the Drew trade.
    Drew is fine. His first month was Spring Training. Don't be fooled by his current cumulative stats. Since July 11, he's 12-45 with 2 HR, 6 RBI and 7 Runs which is fairly on par with his career stats. That's conservatively a .267/20/60/70 rate over a fully season from a very good fielding SS. The only question is if they are in the race will they let Jeter play SS regularly despite being a much worse defender (and I'm one that thinks Jeter's D is underrated. It's just that Drew is one of the top right now). I said otherwise above, but on 2nd thought they may (let Jeter play SS regularly). Though, Drew will probably sit vs some lefties and Jeter will get more rest down the stretch. So, it will all work out.
    I don't think the moves this team made makes them a serious contender. Then again, all you have to do is get to the playoffs and get hot. That said, how can you not love it. They gave up nothing can got 4 upgrades in Headly, McCarthy, Prado and Drew. The team is definitely better than it was and it is the first time in a very long time that they have a legit starter at every position.
  • If they didn't want him to go to the Yankees they should have traded him to a team that actually has a chance to sign him long term. 95 percent chance he is a Yankee next year.
    For shits & giggles.

Who could the Yankees have traded to the Sox that is comparable to Cespedes?

cutz said:

For shits & giggles.

Not that I would consider doing it given the fact that Lester will be a free agent, but Gardner is currently significantly better than cespedes and is signed to a better contract. That said, Boston needs power
    edited August 2014

cutz said:

For shits & giggles.

Not that I would consider doing it given the fact that Lester will be a free agent, but Gardner is currently significantly better than cespedes and is signed to a better contract. That said, Boston needs power
    Let's not get crazy there. Nobody would want Gardner over Cespedes. Everyone knows this is a career year for him. Solid OF but dont judge him on one or 2 months.

To the earlier point - given the right offer, they could have gotten Lester. It would take more than other teams, but rest assured if they had offered a Jeter and Cano in their prime they would have gotten him. They don't have anything to offer that's why they did the incremental changes they did. They had no other options. so that quote is beyond stupid. As others have said, odds are he's with the Yankees if they want him next year anyway, so why would the Sox really care if they could get the mother lode in return for 2 extra months this year?

Throw in the fact that Duquette is an idiot.
    Post edited by EdsonNascimento on
    edited August 2014

cutz said:

For shits & giggles.

Let's not get crazy there. Nobody would want Gardner over Cespedes. Everyone knows this is a career year for him. Solid OF but dont judge him on one or 2 months.

To the earlier point - given the right offer, they could have gotten Lester. It would take more than other teams, but rest assured if they had offered a Jeter and Cano in their prime they would have gotten him. They don't have anything to offer that's why they did the incremental changes they did. They had no other options. so that quote is beyond stupid. As others have said, odds are he's with the Yankees if they want him next year anyway, so why would the Sox really care if they could get the mother lode in return for 2 extra months this year?

Cespedes has a better arm and more power but dude has a .300 obp. Gardner has pretty much everything else. He is also currently a win better than cespedes this year. I don't see how you can argue against Gardner being a better piece, especially given their contracts. You have never liked Gardner.

I don't know about all that. Yankees and Red Sox just don't do trades like that. They don't take the chance of helping he other team out that much. They also probably could have had pretty much anyone traded if they were willing to part with the likes of severino, Sanchez, clarkin, judge, etc. I am glad they didn't. Getting some useful pieces back in the farm
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    edited August 2014

cutz said:

For shits & giggles.

Cespedes has a better arm and more power but dude has a .300 obp. Gardner has pretty much everything else. He is also currently a win better than cespedes this year. I don't see how you can argue against Gardner being a better piece, especially given their contracts. You have never liked Gardner.

I don't know about all that. Yankees and Red Sox just don't do trades like that. They don't take the chance of helping he other team out that much. They also probably could have had pretty much anyone traded if they were willing to part with the likes of severino, Sanchez, clarkin, judge, etc. I am glad they didn't. Getting some useful pieces back in the farm
    You're arguing like 8 different points most of which I agree with. But Cespedes is the better player. Every GM in the league would pick him over Gardner given the chance. Yes, I wasn't the biggest fan of Gardner. His play this year has brought me around. But, he still is what he is. A good player having a career year (and I bet if you take July out of his year end stats, he will look very much like the back of his baseball card. It happens. Players have years like this. Solid hitter who steals some bases and covers a lot of the OF who had a tremendous 6 weeks playing out of his mind).

On your other arguments which I wasn't talking about:

Contract - agree
    Yankees not trading major future pieces - agree
    Red Sox and Yankees not in business of helping each other - agree
    But none of those were the point.

IF the Yankees offered an in the prime Jeter and Cano, the Red Sox would have done the trade. Point being it's easy to say Yankees couldn't get Lester because they don't have those players and they wouldn't trade them if they did. None of those guys you mention in their minors are same value as Cespedes let alone the premium they would have to pay. It's a silly quote And Duquettes an idiot. Those are the point of what I was saying.
    Post edited by EdsonNascimento on

cutz said:

For shits & giggles.

You're arguing like 8 different points most of which I agree with. But Cespedes is the better player. Every GM in the league would pick him over Gardner given the chance. Yes, I wasn't the biggest fan of Gardner. His play this year has brought me around. But, he still is what he is. A good player having a career year (and I bet if you take July out of his year end stats, he will look very much like the back of his baseball card. It happens. Players have years like this. Solid hitter who steals some bases and covers a lot of the OF who had a tremendous 6 weeks playing out of his mind).

On your other arguments which I wasn't talking about:

Contract - agree
    Yankees not trading major future pieces - agree
    Red Sox and Yankees not in business of helping each other - agree
    But none of those were the point.

IF the Yankees offered an in the prime Jeter and Cano, the Red Sox would have done the trade. Point being it's easy to say Yankees couldn't get Lester because they don't have those players and they wouldn't trade them if they did. None of those guys you mention in their minors are same value as Cespedes let alone the premium they would have to pay. It's a silly quote And Duquettes an idiot. Those are the point of what I was saying.
    Um, obviously. You are talking about one of the best players of a generation and a potential hall of famer. That would never happen though.

Nice win today

cutz said:

For shits & giggles.

I think no way Boston would've taken Gardner. I admit, i'm not a Gardner fan at all. I think he's an average player at best, but he is having a pretty good year, for him. Gardner on a team like the Astros and the avid baseball fan wouldn't know who he is. Like you said: the Red Sox NEED power.

cutz said:

cutz said:

For shits & giggles.

I think no way Boston would've taken Gardner. I admit, i'm not a Gardner fan at all. I think he's an average player at best, but he is having a pretty good year, for him. Gardner on a team like the Astros and the avid baseball fan wouldn't know who he is. Like you said: the Red Sox NEED power.

Gardner has 4 years of team control to cespedes 1. That's a big deal. Like I said, all cespedes has over Gardner is power and Gardner is a win better than cespedes this year. Cespedes is overrated. Good player, but definitely overrated. .300 OBP
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    has teixeira's homerun landed yet?
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    rival. said:

has teixeira's homerun landed yet?

An absolute shot.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,891
    watching this game, I realize I don't like either one of these teams :))
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive said:

It's still baseball. At least there's no Lackey or Arod involved. Two of my least favorite players in baseball.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,891

imalive said:

It's still baseball. At least there's no Lackey or Arod involved. Two of my least favorite players in baseball.
    very good point! :))
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14