PJ getting sued for team tour shirts?

Comments

• bosshogg18bosshogg18 Posts: 1,094
    rssesq wrote:
    I wouldnt be a bit surprised if it was that scumbag owner of the seahawks and supersonics. Allen is one of the wealthiest men in the world but still made the city pay for his stadium. what a mensch.

Paul Allen doesn't own the Sonics (Thunder), Clay Bennett does and although he is a scumbag, I don't think he would care since he changed the team name and colors. As for Paul Allen he owns the Blazers, but I doubt he would sue over some t-shirt likeness. Also he paid for a lot of Qwest Field out of his own pocket. It would have been nice if he paid it all, but at least he wasn't wanting $500 million of tax payer money like Clay Bennett did to build a new arena/stadium.
  • arq wrote:
    sports shirts are the best idea ever, awesome to the max! but Tom tomorrow's poster tshirt... :? Those are worst than the bootleg tshirts :lol:
    :lol::lol: too ugly...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    bosshogg18 wrote:
    rssesq wrote:
    I wouldnt be a bit surprised if it was that scumbag owner of the seahawks and supersonics. Allen is one of the wealthiest men in the world but still made the city pay for his stadium. what a mensch.

Paul Allen doesn't own the Sonics (Thunder), Clay Bennett does and although he is a scumbag, I don't think he would care since he changed the team name and colors. As for Paul Allen he owns the Blazers, but I doubt he would sue over some t-shirt likeness. Also he paid for a lot of Qwest Field out of his own pocket. It would have been nice if he paid it all, but at least he wasn't wanting $500 million of tax payer money like Clay Bennett did to build a new arena/stadium.

When you think of the economic spin offs and employment created that major sports and events bring to a city/region, it is not uncommon for teams to ask for public money to help build a stadium.

As for the shirts - I'm glad I got my LA ones when they were available and will probably not wear it now - not that I want to flip them, but makes them an even more special memory of those two incredible nights.

If anyone wants to sell me their Tom Tomorrow shirt and ship them to Australia, I'm buying - I really like them.
  • gubym20gubym20 Posts: 41
    There is something definitely going on legally with these shirts. I was at the show last night pretty early. I had a handful of shirts made up for these shows with PJ in a retro phillies logo, early on was cool. i had my car set up with 2 shirts on a table. I had a couple of people check them out but it was early. Later on i saw a wachovia worker checking them out as he went by a few times. Then later a security guy on a bike rolled passed me a couple of times which is when i made the shirts disappear. After this i sold one to a friend of mine and we were talking and two guys rolled up all serious and started questioning my friend hardcore, where you get it who sold it to you. They ended up leaving and after this there was 3 unmarked cars driving by my car constantly all night until i went into the show. They would drive by real slow and just stare and point and at one point they held up some shirts in their car and were looking to see if my shirt was the same one. I have never been that uncomfortable in the stadium parking lots ever and i've lived in this area most of my life. I definitely don't think this has anything to do with Pj's people. It has to be MLB or Wachovia or the phillies people. And i don't think its police motivated either mainly because after the shows there were a bunch of brothers selling PJ bootleg shirts everywhere and a ton of nitrous tanks everywhere. No problem from the marked cops if you were slinging balloons. It's pretty messed up i've been to a bunch of Grateful Dead related shows and the Dead lots are famous for people selling anything and everything. I never saw this type of shit going ever. Who knows maybe once the weekend shows get going and the other sports teams are playing and there is more people in the area this will slow down a bit, but it was definitely an interesting start to my PJ Philly weekend. Anyone else see anyone selling shirts get hassled.
    mike
    9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 10/12/00, 5/3/03, 7/9/03, 10/1/04,10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 4/5/08, 4/7/08, 8/16/08, 8/17/08, 6/11/09, 6/12/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 9/14/22
    gubym20 wrote:
    There is something definitely going on legally with these shirts. I was at the show last night pretty early. I had a handful of shirts made up for these shows with PJ in a retro phillies logo, early on was cool. i had my car set up with 2 shirts on a table. I had a couple of people check them out but it was early. Later on i saw a wachovia worker checking them out as he went by a few times. Then later a security guy on a bike rolled passed me a couple of times which is when i made the shirts disappear. After this i sold one to a friend of mine and we were talking and two guys rolled up all serious and started questioning my friend hardcore, where you get it who sold it to you. They ended up leaving and after this there was 3 unmarked cars driving by my car constantly all night until i went into the show. They would drive by real slow and just stare and point and at one point they held up some shirts in their car and were looking to see if my shirt was the same one. I have never been that uncomfortable in the stadium parking lots ever and i've lived in this area most of my life. I definitely don't think this has anything to do with Pj's people. It has to be MLB or Wachovia or the phillies people. And i don't think its police motivated either mainly because after the shows there were a bunch of brothers selling PJ bootleg shirts everywhere and a ton of nitrous tanks everywhere. No problem from the marked cops if you were slinging balloons. It's pretty messed up i've been to a bunch of Grateful Dead related shows and the Dead lots are famous for people selling anything and everything. I never saw this type of shit going ever. Who knows maybe once the weekend shows get going and the other sports teams are playing and there is more people in the area this will slow down a bit, but it was definitely an interesting start to my PJ Philly weekend. Anyone else see anyone selling shirts get hassled.
    mike

It was the CIA/Men In Black.
  • vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    it could be just some pissed off merch guy who had been asked the same question 1000 times already that night :lol:
    they would use local staff at the merch stands, not PJ staff, so they guy who said it probably did not know what shirts everybody was asking about 8-)
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    gubym20 wrote:
    mike

I dont know if there is an issue with PJ and the shirts for real but ..... you are really trying to compare yourself selling t-shirts at the venue parking lot with Pearl Jam selling the sports shirts at their merch booths?
    I dont see the connection. :?
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,370
    I'm a lawyer. A few quick points.

1) These shirts are not parodies.
    2) The fair use doctrine does not apply here.
    3) If there is indeed a lawsuit, it will be settled out of court and confidentially. The band will agree to pay some or all of the proceeds from the shirts to the plaintiffs.
    4) The leagues and clubs are not being "uncool." If the leagues and clubs do not protect their copyrights and trademarks, they may be waived. This would be extremely damaging to their ability to do business.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Seemed like they made the logos significantly different than the real sports team logos. I have Toronto shirt and the leaf while similar from afar is actually pretty different from the team logo if you look closely. Based on that, and my quick glance at the other sports merch, I came to the conclusion that there was some kind of threshold for copyright infringement that they researched and thus were careful not to cross before designing and selling these shirts. These guys are pretty smart, so if a ding dong like me considered this, I have to assume the band and their management did as well.

People sue all the time. Doesn't mean they win. Look at PJ and ticketmaster for example!
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
    edited October 2009
    All I know is

Stay away from Runaround Sue, hey hey. oohhh
    Post edited by Paul Andrews on
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    edited October 2009
    BF25394 wrote:
    I'm a lawyer. A few quick points.

1) These shirts are not parodies.
    2) The fair use doctrine does not apply here.
    3) If there is indeed a lawsuit, it will be settled out of court and confidentially. The band will agree to pay some or all of the proceeds from the shirts to the plaintiffs.
    4) The leagues and clubs are not being "uncool." If the leagues and clubs do not protect their copyrights and trademarks, they may be waived. This would be extremely damaging to their ability to do business.
    Thank God u are here..im from Greece and dont know the laws in USA..what can we do for the people always bitching in this forum?can we ask to pay them every time they are bitching without a reason ???and how much money i have to pay u for your service??? :D
    Thanks ,
    Dimitris
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • WhyNotSwedenWhyNotSweden Posts: 4,307
    arq wrote:
    sports shirts are the best idea ever, awesome to the max! but Tom tomorrow's poster tshirt... :? Those are worst than the bootleg tshirts :lol:

Bootleg tshirt;

28rmvtf.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:
    -95, Stockholm (MirrorBall Tour)
    -00, Stockholm
    -07, Copenhagen
    -09, Berlin
    -10, Berlin
    -11, East Troy 1+2
    -12, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, EV London 2
    -13, London, Chicago
    -14, Amsterdam 1+2, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo
    -16, TOTD San Francisco 1+2
    -17, EV Amsterdam 2+3
    -18, Amsterdam 1+2, London 1+(2), Barcelona, London 2
    -19, EV Brussels

• arq wrote:

Bootleg tshirt;

28rmvtf.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    are u the model T? :lol::lol::lol:
  • it could be just some pissed off merch guy who had been asked the same question 1000 times already that night :lol:
    they would use local staff at the merch stands, not PJ staff, so they guy who said it probably did not know what shirts everybody was asking about 8-)
    :D:D maybe is this and no other reason
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Seemed like they made the logos significantly different than the real sports team logos. I have Toronto shirt and the leaf while similar from afar is actually pretty different from the team logo if you look closely. Based on that, and my quick glance at the other sports merch, I came to the conclusion that there was some kind of threshold for copyright infringement that they researched and thus were careful not to cross before designing and selling these shirts. These guys are pretty smart, so if a ding dong like me considered this, I have to assume the band and their management did as well.

People sue all the time. Doesn't mean they win. Look at PJ and ticketmaster for example!

I think you're right about the team shirts. I've heard of U of Texas suing people for just recreating their colors.

If PJ was gettin sued by any of the teams or leagues involved, somebody here woulda picked up on it, from a news source.

I don't think PJ actually sued TM. They were just poster boys for a faction that wanted to break up the TM monopoly, no?
  • arq wrote:

Bootleg tshirt;

28rmvtf.jpg

Can i order one shirt of LA 3 and one from San Diego shows??? :lol:
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    I had just assumed that PJ got permission to use the team logos for their shirts, if it is true that they didn't get permission and just put out shirts without asking anyone, then that is a really dumb move on their part. PJ copyrights all their stuff so I don't understand why they would think it would be ok to use something from someone else that is copyrighted...I'm hoping this lawsuit business isn't actually true
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
    arq wrote:

Bootleg tshirt;

28rmvtf.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

No, vikings are blond :roll:
    -00, Stockholm
    -07, Copenhagen
    -09, Berlin
    -10, Berlin
    -11, East Troy 1+2
    -13, London, Chicago
    -17, EV Amsterdam 2+3
    -19, EV Brussels

Given their hatred for all things left wing and anti GOP, I would have thought Fox News would have been all over this if it had been true. Anyone game to watch fox and see if they're reporting on it.

Sorry but I get enough of Fox on the Daily Show. I think if I ever see Hannity or Beck on my TV I'll have to smash it.
  • gubym20gubym20 Posts: 41
    by Mrs.Vedder78 » 29 Oct 2009 14:45

I dont know if there is an issue with PJ and the shirts for real but ..... you are really trying to compare yourself selling t-shirts at the venue parking lot with Pearl Jam selling the sports shirts at their merch booths?
    I dont see the connection. :?

What i'm saying is if there is some kind of lawsuit going on it makes sense considering what i saw Wed nite. If it involves MLB or other sports organizations they might be on the look out for them at PJ shows. Hell it could have been other people selling shirts that didn't want any competition so they drive around with their chests puffed out looking to scare people off. I know Philly is famous for this with the nitrous vendors ("nitrous mafia"). I just find it odd considering i go to Phillies games all the time and there are people selling Harry the K shirts, Fuck the Mets shirts, Romo is a Homo shirts. I was shocked to see this going on that's all.
    9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 10/12/00, 5/3/03, 7/9/03, 10/1/04,10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 4/5/08, 4/7/08, 8/16/08, 8/17/08, 6/11/09, 6/12/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 9/14/22
  • JV130312JV130312 Posts: 2,462
    More surprising this thread hasn't been locked...so I'm thinking it's not true...lol...
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
    After the LA shows there were people in the city walk selling rip off PJ shirts for $10. On the last night there were police there arresting them (or so it seemed) so I'm not sure if there is anything in the fact those selling rip off t-shirts face scrutiny.
  • are u the model T? :lol::lol::lol:

blond or bold.. :(

:shh:
    -00, Stockholm
    -07, Copenhagen
    -09, Berlin
    -10, Berlin
    -11, East Troy 1+2
    -13, London, Chicago
    -17, EV Amsterdam 2+3
    -19, EV Brussels

• drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    Given their hatred for all things left wing and anti GOP, I would have thought Fox News would have been all over this if it had been true. Anyone game to watch fox and see if they're reporting on it.

Sorry but I get enough of Fox on the Daily Show. I think if I ever see Hannity or Beck on my TV I'll have to smash it.
    Haha... this is the most off-base post in this thread! :lol::lol:
    drsluggo wrote:

Haha... this is the most off-base post in this thread! :lol::lol:

You can always count on an Aussie to through something silly in ;)
  • bosshogg18bosshogg18 Posts: 1,094
    gubym20 wrote:
    I just find it odd considering i go to Phillies games all the time and there are people selling Harry the K shirts, Fuck the Mets shirts, Romo is a Homo shirts. I was shocked to see this going on that's all.

:lol: I want one of those shirts
  • No, vikings are blond :roll:

:shh:
    sorry officer.i was with Tobias all the time..i didnt see anything... ;)
  • gfrasergfraser Posts: 686
    kinda strange this thread hasnt been locked or deleted yet.
    This post is © by gfraser
  • they couldnt have printed more than 1000 sports shirts total for each show. is that really lawsuit worthy?
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status