PJ getting sued for team tour shirts?

NoelMichaelNoelMichael Posts: 1,630
edited October 2009 in The Porch
So I asked one of the merch guys at tonight's show (Philly 2) if we'd get Phillies style PJ shirts. He said no way, there's a 5 million dollar lawsuit against the band for copyright infringement. Anyone hear anything about this? I was hoping we might see them Friday or Saturday, but it sounds like it's not gonna happen at all
9-28-96 Randall’s Island NY; 9-01-00 Camden NJ; 7-05-03 Camden NJ; 10-01-04 Reading PA; 10-03-05 Philly PA; 5-27-06 Camden NJ; 5-28-06 Camden NJ; 6-19-08 Camden NJ; 6-20-08 Camden NJ; 6-24-08 NYC NY; 8-7-08 EV Newark, NJ; 6-11-09 EV Philly PA; 6-12-09 EV Philly PA; 10-27-09 Philly PA; 10-28-09 Philly PA; 10-30-09 Philly PA; 10-31-09 Philly PA; 5-15-10 Hartford CT; 5-18-10 Newark NJ; 5-21-10 NYC NY; 6-21-11 EV NYC NY; 6-22-11 EV NYC NY; 6-25-11 EV Philly PA; 7-1-11 EV StL MS; 9-3-11 E Troy WI; 9-4-11 E Troy WI
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• So I asked one of the merch guys at tonight's show (Philly 2) if we'd get Phillies style PJ shirts. He said no way, there's a 5 million dollar lawsuit against the band for copyright infringement. Anyone hear anything about this? I was hoping we might see them Friday or Saturday, but it sounds like it's not gonna happen at all
    Well if thats true that sucks because at Seattle night 2 me and my dad didn't get to the show until a few minutes before Ben got on so I couldn't get a Sonics shirt. I really want a sonics shirt and was hoping the 10c site would sell them after the tour but if they are getting sued that seems less likely to happen.
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    So I asked one of the merch guys at tonight's show (Philly 2) if we'd get Phillies style PJ shirts. He said no way, there's a 5 million dollar lawsuit against the band for copyright infringement. Anyone hear anything about this? I was hoping we might see them Friday or Saturday, but it sounds like it's not gonna happen at all
    Wow... MLB, NBA and NHL licensed merchandice copyright infringements.
    I guess you can't be a fan of both a team and a band... or what? Maybe those professional leagues don't make that much money.
    That sucks.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • JZ6157JZ6157 Posts: 51
    Not surprising if true. Don't know about the NHL, but the other professional leagues, especially MLB takes this stuff as serious as a heart attack. I know someone in MLB's security dept and they have investigators and authenticators who work on this stuff all year round. MLB advanced media patrols youtube for unauthorized videos (although as with anything they can be hit or miss here).

PJ is much more high-profile and an easy target if no agreements were in place with the interested parties.
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    Maybe they are pissed that people are paying more for Pearl Jam t-shirts on EBay than authentic jerseys that are licensed by the leagues.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    Um, Ten Club didn't get licenses to make those shirts? Uhhhh.... :shock:
  • deskilladeskilla Posts: 279
    oh!!!! what the hell!!! i was hoping there will be PHILLIES, EAGLES, FLYERS, KIXX
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    SolarWorld wrote:

Tell me this isn't true...

noooooo.jpg
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • SolarWorld wrote:
    YIKES!!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    if this is true, then that would really suck. Could explain the Tom Tomorrow poster t-shirts instead of the Sports theme ones? :? :(
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Looks like there is a job opening at 10c. Hopefully someone who has taken a few business law classes fills the slot.
  • DH62179DH62179 Posts: 312
    If true this is pretty surprising and hypocritical considering we weren't even aloud to discuss Backspacer songs that hadn't been officially released yet because we were supposed to respect an artist's copyrights (or something like that). :?
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    JZ6157 wrote:
    Not surprising if true. Don't know about the NHL, but the other professional leagues, especially MLB takes this stuff as serious as a heart attack. I know someone in MLB's security dept and they have investigators and authenticators who work on this stuff all year round. MLB advanced media patrols youtube for unauthorized videos (although as with anything they can be hit or miss here).

PJ is much more high-profile and an easy target if no agreements were in place with the interested parties.

i know somebody that went around downtown cleveland when they were in the world series a decade or so ago and was busting merchants selling counterfeit and unlicensed merch all night. he'd point them out, the cops arrested them and confiscated their stuff. mlb does not fuck around with this, as most pro leagues don't. that still sucks though.
    Looks like there is a job opening at 10c. Hopefully someone who has taken a few business law classes fills the slot.

how about just a lawyer? i'd consider a move to seattle if they're looking for new counsel ;)
  • :shock: ..and a good friend was suppose to grab one for me...... :cry:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Fuck the mlb , nfl and nhl. this just sucks. for real, this is stupid.

PJ try to do something cool, for the city they are playing in and they get sued ?

this country is fucking so sue happy.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
    HeavyHands wrote:

jesus. i bet no kid on that field ever plays baseball again...
  • I would consider the shirts parodies....which are protected in this country. I highly doubt PJ is being sued.
  • I find it highly unlikely that PJ would not have looked into the legalities involved in making the shirts. They know they are a high profile band, and they know that whenever they go on tour, the limited edition merch is in very high demand. They would be idiots to think that the shirts would not get noticed by the respective leagues, so I'm sure they either acquired the necessary license agreements or ensured they were not infringing on any copyrights.

Especially since shirts were made for The Cubs, the Maple Leafs and The Lakers, three organizations that are highly protective of their image and logos etc.
    Minneapolis : 06/30/1998 - Chicago : 10/09/2000 - Vancouver : 05/30/2003 - Fargo : 06/15/2003 - Winnipeg : 09/08/2005 - Thunder Bay : 09/09/2005 - St. Paul : 06/26/2006 - Chicago : 08/23/2009 - Chicago : 08/24/2009
  • HeavyHands wrote:
    crazy!!!!!!!!
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • there is a solution to the problem...give the shirts to the fans for FREE ;)
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    AmishGuy91 wrote:
    I would consider the shirts parodies....which are protected in this country. I highly doubt PJ is being sued.
    Yeah that was my thought too... weird. I hope its not true!
  • embraceembrace Posts: 849
    I actually got the same info as OP from a merch vendor. He said there was a "big" lawsuit regarding these shirts and they couldn't sell them. Sucks as they are a brilliant idea.
    got a car...got some gas...oh let's get out of here-get out of here fast...
    I hope you get this message but your not home...I will be there in just a minute or so...
    I want to go but I want to go with you.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. -MT

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough. I'm fine, still in it.
  • EvolverEvolver Posts: 525
    DH62179 wrote:
    If true this is pretty surprising and hypocritical considering we weren't even aloud to discuss Backspacer songs that hadn't been officially released yet because we were supposed to respect an artist's copyrights (or something like that). :?

Damn right it would be! Let alone the fact that so many of us were slammed by board staff for speaking about or critiquing Backspacer material that HAD already been legally released!
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,989
    Bullshit!

I bought my Seattle shirts and SLC ones from a shady ass character that was standing real close to the official merch guys/gals. No way Pearl Jam was sponsoring such blatant rip offs. ;)

To the bald guy at the first merch stand inside the doors... Hey dude, you hooked me up with some great shirts, but you should have mentioned they were counterfiet!
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Posts: 5,902
    doesnt surprise me. I mentioned this issue to my brother in San Diego. seems pretty obvious to me.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • NoCode416NoCode416 Posts: 416
    no way pearl jam didn't consider infringement when making these shirts... they've either acquired a license or are certain that a fair use defense (by way of parody) would be a slam dunk.
  • InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    SolarWorld wrote:

yeah i find it hard to believe that they did not consider this before making them
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • down_skidown_ski Posts: 328
    HeavyHands wrote:

Montana makes the news!
  • SpagsSpags Posts: 3,031
    Ut oH
    Nature drunk and High