PJ getting sued for team tour shirts?

Comments

• they should get sued for selling those tom tomorrow shirts for $20 last night after i paid $35 on night 1. ARGH
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    this thread will get locked i bet
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    they should get sued for selling those tom tomorrow shirts for $20 last night after i paid $35 on night 1. ARGH
    Yeah that was quite the kick in the crotch... I thought maybe they were youth sizes, but no... just decided to really stick it to us that bought it on night 1!!!

still though - no reason they should be sued over parody shirts. That's a bit insane.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    JZ6157 wrote:
    Not surprising if true. Don't know about the NHL, but the other professional leagues, especially MLB takes this stuff as serious as a heart attack. I know someone in MLB's security dept and they have investigators and authenticators who work on this stuff all year round. MLB advanced media patrols youtube for unauthorized videos (although as with anything they can be hit or miss here).

PJ is much more high-profile and an easy target if no agreements were in place with the interested parties.

i know somebody that went around downtown cleveland when they were in the world series a decade or so ago and was busting merchants selling counterfeit and unlicensed merch all night. he'd point them out, the cops arrested them and confiscated their stuff. mlb does not fuck around with this, as most pro leagues don't. that still sucks though.

i am assuming that person had no life?
    i know somebody that went around downtown cleveland when they were in the world series a decade or so ago and was busting merchants selling counterfeit and unlicensed merch all night. he'd point them out, the cops arrested them and confiscated their stuff. mlb does not fuck around with this, as most pro leagues don't. that still sucks though.
    But those are people using the exact logos/team names... these are parodies/spoofs of the logos using Pearl jam's stuff...

I wonder which sport/team did this (if its true). I'd be curious on that.
  • nevmilesnevmiles Posts: 1,363
    edited October 2009
    So I asked one of the merch guys at tonight's show (Philly 2) if we'd get Phillies style PJ shirts. He said no way, there's a 5 million dollar lawsuit against the band for copyright infringement. Anyone hear anything about this? I was hoping we might see them Friday or Saturday, but it sounds like it's not gonna happen at all

Funny, I was just looking thru the goods pics posted on here and thought about that for a sec . . . . I noticed that most of the shirt logos are "slightly" different from the teams they are supposed to represent . . . I wondered if they had needed permission to create them and then I read this post . . .. funny.

But I would find it hard to believe that they would not have approached the respective leagues before doing this...
    Post edited by nevmiles on
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • j_web18j_web18 Posts: 186
    Isn't it possible someone is suing them but, because it is a parody, will likely not win? And if so, wouldn't that have to be sorted out in court and they are just holding the shirts back awaiting a trial/settlement? Just asking as I have no idea!
    4-22-2003 St Louis, 10-5-2004 St Louis, 5-16/17-2006 Chicago, 6-24-2006 Cincinnati, 8-5-2007 Lollapalooza, 6-14-2008 Bonnaroo, 8-22-2008 EV Chicago, 6-18-2009 EV Nashville, 8-23/24-2009 Chicago, 9-21-22-2009 Seattle, 5-4-2010 St Louis, 5-7-2010 Indy, 7-1/2011 EV St Louis, 9-3-2011 Alpine, 7-19-2013 Wrigley
    j_web18 wrote:
    Isn't it possible someone is suing them but, because it is a parody, will likely not win? And if so, wouldn't that have to be sorted out in court and they are just holding the shirts back awaiting a trial/settlement? Just asking as I have no idea!
    Yeah - I'm SURE that all starts with a Cease and Desist order to not sell the shirts. I'm guessing they made them but can't sell them... I doubt they ever will because they'd probably (I'm guessing) rather not fight the leagues to sell them.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    someone look at one of the shirts...do you see a copyright for the mlb or nfl? if not, the band may be in trouble
    norm wrote:
    someone look at one of the shirts...do you see a copyright for the mlb or nfl? if not, the band may be in trouble
    There isn't one, but these aren't the logos by any stretch. Same colors/fonts... but not the actual logos.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    drsluggo wrote:
    norm wrote:
    There isn't one, but these aren't the logos by any stretch. Same colors/fonts... but not the actual logos.

lawyers will call it "likeness"...it a grey area but the band should have cleared it if they didn't
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    my2hands wrote:
    JZ6157 wrote:
    Not surprising if true. Don't know about the NHL, but the other professional leagues, especially MLB takes this stuff as serious as a heart attack. I know someone in MLB's security dept and they have investigators and authenticators who work on this stuff all year round. MLB advanced media patrols youtube for unauthorized videos (although as with anything they can be hit or miss here).

PJ is much more high-profile and an easy target if no agreements were in place with the interested parties.

Actually, he's highly paid to do that sort of thing. Attorneys get big bucks to be hired guns like that ;)
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I call bullshit.

They're only using similar colors and fonts. Do any of them even use the actual team colors? or logos?

Whoever decides on merch probably thought the Tom Tomorrow shirts would be cool. Maybe they got sick of people flippin the shirts.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    drsluggo wrote:
    norm wrote:

That doesn't matter, you can still be infringing a trademark just by using the same schemes as the team in question... colors, font, etc. You don't have to necessarily be using their exact logo. I don't think this would qualify as parody. Parody involves some sort of comment on the trademark in question... poking fun of it or satirizing it. I don't think there's any of that in these shirts, they clearly just grabbed the logos becos it looked cool. I'm surprised nobody ever told them to get rights, cos it seems pretty obvious to me that this would be infringing otherwise.
  • i dunno... the seahawks logo is a pretty close representation.

...and if this is the case, then why were they busting people in L.A. for selling unauthorized pearl jam t-shirts....sounds hypocritical to me.
  • Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    they should get sued for selling those tom tomorrow shirts for $20 last night after i paid $35 on night 1. ARGH

I agree. I was really annoyed when I saw that. That is total b.s.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    i dunno... the seahawks logo is a pretty close representation.

...and if this is the case, then why were they busting people in L.A. for selling unauthorized pearl jam t-shirts....sounds hypocritical to me.

To me it looks like somebody said somethin to the designer like "change these enough to be legal".

What about the "Built to Last" stuff? Surely the same person was kinda in charge of both. Wouldn't they know what's up with other "trademarky" stuff?
  • rssesqrssesq Posts: 3,299
    I wouldnt be a bit surprised if it was that scumbag owner of the seahawks and supersonics. Allen is one of the wealthiest men in the world but still made the city pay for his stadium. what a mensch.
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    the radio station i work for here in St .Louis couldnt even use the phrase "All Star Game" when printing out tshirts promoting the event in our own city with our logo near it

MLB is one of the toughest on this and they do not mess around at all
  • Perhaps this is only happening in Philly because the Flyers and Phillies both use a "P" in their logo and the PJ shirts resembled the logos of the locals too closely.

Maybe it was Wachovia/Spectacorp? management that put a halt to this at their venues and the issue is not nation wide.
  • if you looked around plenty of people were wearing the phillies Pearl Jam shirts.
    so i don't know if they just didnt make too many or weren't allowed
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    DH62179 wrote:
    If true this is pretty surprising and hypocritical considering we weren't even aloud to discuss Backspacer songs that hadn't been officially released yet because we were supposed to respect an artist's copyrights (or something like that). :?

No one has ruled that Pj did anything wrong. An accusation is just that until there is a court ruling.
  • NoelMichaelNoelMichael Posts: 1,630
    BigDan502 wrote:
    if you looked around plenty of people were wearing the phillies Pearl Jam shirts.

those were fakes. people selling crappy bootleg shirts in the lot. there's a few on ebay right now too. although there were a bunch of people with authentic phillies shirts that read "vedder"on the back. apparently if you go to mlb.com you can custom order a team shirt with your own name on it. those were cool. probably pricey, but definitely the way to go since it looks like phillies pj shirts won't happen
    9-28-96 Randall’s Island NY; 9-01-00 Camden NJ; 7-05-03 Camden NJ; 10-01-04 Reading PA; 10-03-05 Philly PA; 5-27-06 Camden NJ; 5-28-06 Camden NJ; 6-19-08 Camden NJ; 6-20-08 Camden NJ; 6-24-08 NYC NY; 8-7-08 EV Newark, NJ; 6-11-09 EV Philly PA; 6-12-09 EV Philly PA; 10-27-09 Philly PA; 10-28-09 Philly PA; 10-30-09 Philly PA; 10-31-09 Philly PA; 5-15-10 Hartford CT; 5-18-10 Newark NJ; 5-21-10 NYC NY; 6-21-11 EV NYC NY; 6-22-11 EV NYC NY; 6-25-11 EV Philly PA; 7-1-11 EV StL MS; 9-3-11 E Troy WI; 9-4-11 E Troy WI
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    my2hands wrote:
    JZ6157 wrote:

I have confronted shop owners when I saw that they were selling "unlicensed" gear related to any of my clients. Why should anyone be allowed to profit if the artist/copyright owner doesn't get a piece of it?

I once discovered that a very popular record shop in Hollywood was selling an illegal bootleg of my client's (a well-known DJ) live show. We thought about showing-up with a film crew to film the client confronting the store manager.
  • timctimc Posts: 664
    They have gad plenty of time now to print a new shirt!!! Stop the poster shirts!!!!
  • Maybe it was misunderstood. Maybe it was IF PJ sells Philly stuff, there would be a 5mil lawsuit. You know, cause of the whole World Series thing.

Just my 2 cents...
  • usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    :lol:
  • BigDan502 wrote:
    if you looked around plenty of people were wearing the phillies Pearl Jam shirts.

those were fakes. people selling crappy bootleg shirts in the lot. there's a few on ebay right now too. although there were a bunch of people with authentic phillies shirts that read "vedder"on the back. apparently if you go to mlb.com you can custom order a team shirt with your own name on it. those were cool. probably pricey, but definitely the way to go since it looks like phillies pj shirts won't happen

They're far from crappy! I think the shirt I got last year at the Susq Center is one of the more creative bootleg shirts to be designed. It wasn't lamely tie-dyed. There's no group photo of the band on it like an NKOTB shirt. It combines the Phillies font and "Pearl Jam", and would have made a brilliant choice for the actual band-endorsed shirts this time around, IMO.

I actually didn't see anyone else wearing the one I have at the past two shows, but I'm sure they were around. I also can't find it on eBay, though I wish I could. I may just have to make some more on my own to disperse amongst my friends!

pjphilliesshirt.JPG
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • arqarq Posts: 8,013
    sports shirts are the best idea ever, awesome to the max! but Tom tomorrow's poster tshirt... :? Those are worst than the bootleg tshirts :lol:
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • gfrasergfraser Posts: 686
    i believe they are covered in court by "fair use"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

maybe they can stay out of trouble because the shirts where sold in such limited numbers that they would never hurt the market of the original copyright holder?

as a side not, this should help bring up the value of the shirts even higher! these could be the next blackie? :)
    This post is © by gfraser