Options

Kat, Sea, 10C - can there PLEASE be a limit on buying merch?

Comments

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Cosmo wrote:
    I have a good idea for Los Angeles...
    Make the next 2 L.A. shirts the Clippers and the Sparks.
    No one wants those.

my friend is hoping for the Sol ;):lol:
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    Id have to say that other than like a few shouldn't be allowed.. I mean, three.. okay that could be for family/friends but 10? Fuck that...
  • Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    Cosmo wrote:
    Better than that...
    Print a bunch of shirts and sell them at this website.
    This way you punish the dufuses that wil spend 200 bucks for a 35 dollar t-shirt and that market will dry up.
    Next time 'round... the people who buy 10 shirts at the gigs will have to either have to eat the shirts... or sell them at a loss.

Me like your idea, Comso...

A little devil in me is hoping that is exactly what they will do with the orange vinyl.... and people are going to feel like asswipes for spending at least 450 bucks!

Oh please don't preach me about demand and supply... I completely understand - I've taken courses in businesses and economics...

It's also a psychological game (or marketing if you want me to be politically correct ;))....

As much as I hate seeing people doing this shit, I hate it even worse when people HAVE the money and can afford to bid the highest, which leads to the "standard" or "average" for other prospective sellers to sell... (orange vinyl is one example).

If people weren't thinking for themselves, things would be a lot easier.... but sadly, that is not the case.

So we gotta come with policies... and communication - e.g. the merch workers and people in charge....

That would reduce, not eliminating, the numbers of profit-seeking people.

I thought what was done at the Vic was excellent!

Something like showing your ticket to the merch... get a stamp on it or even better a designed hole on the ticket stating that you've already purchased a poster. Shirt...different stamp or different kind of hole....

Just be creative and make it work... of course would have to change it all the time because people always find loopholes (using friends, etc....)... but would work for most, I think....

I like the pre-order idea 10c has started... hopefully that'll spread to other merchs. That still does not stop people who already pre-ordered from buying more at the merch and flipping them.... sigh.

Ah, it's like damned if you do, damned if you don't.... but I'd rather a chance with 10c through pre-orders so I don't have to go to any merch table at the show and just relax! :D
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    I agree - please put a limit on how many t-shirts or posters you can buy. The Lakers shirt at LA2 was gone almost instantly and it was disgusting to see these scumbag-scalper-eBayselling-assholes standing right there in front of everybody bragging about what they were doing.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    We're partially to blame for all of this. if there weren't buyers willing to pay 300 bucks for a t-shirt... there wouldn'rt be an incentive for people to buy them up and sell them.
    And who is it that are paying these prices? Are Bank of America executives using bailout money to buy these shirts on EBay? Or are they Columbian Drug Cartel kingpins? I don't know about anyone else... but, i am still in a fucking recession.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Beachman44Beachman44 Swedesboro, NJ Posts: 170
    Scalping tickets is illegal in some states. This is a form of scalping.
    10C takes steps to limit scalping of their limited tickets they sell to members.
    10C took steps to limit scalping of posters.
    So lets make some steps to stop this form of "scalping" of limited T's or anything limited to one show.
    9/29/1996, 8/28/1998, 8/29/1998, 9/8/1998, 8/25/2000, 9/1/2000, 9/2/2000, 4/28/2003, 5/03/2003, 7/5/2003, 7/6/2003, 10/01/2004, 9/19/2005, 10/1/2005, 10/3/2005, 5/27/2006, 5/28/2006, 5/30/2006, 6/26/2006, 4/15/2008. 6/19/2008, 6/20/2008, 6/22/2008, 8/16/2008, 10/28/2009, 10/30/2009, 10/31/2009, 5/13/2010, 9/3/2011, 9/4/2011, 9/2/2012, 10/21/2013, 10/22/2013, 10/27/2013, 4/8/2016, 4/9/2016, 4/11/2016, 4/13/2016, 4/28/2016, 4/29/2016, 9/2/2018, 9/18/2021, 9/14/2022
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    We're partially to blame for all of this. if there weren't buyers willing to pay 300 bucks for a t-shirt... there wouldn'rt be an incentive for people to buy them up and sell them.
    And who is it that are paying these prices? Are Bank of America executives using bailout money to buy these shirts on EBay? Or are they Columbian Drug Cartel kingpins? I don't know about anyone else... but, i am still in a fucking recession.

I agree....

..and I don't know about anyone else....but I'm still in a fucking depression. :P

Even if I had the money, I wouldn't do it... because I'd be encouraging this behavior for others to follow - either on the seller or buyer side.

We could argue about this all day and people will still do it.... :-/

However, we can channel this energy into positivism/activism - encouraging 10c to set up a policy and to enforce it. That's only partial, though... others would have to enforce it as well. :P

It's up to people.....to do the right thing. :P
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    I think they need to impose some sort of limit, however, they run the risk of getting stuck with excess shirts/posters if, for some reason, they don't sell out. Trucking around, or shipping, "dead" merch is a hassle.
  • Options
    PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS THE 406 Posts: 6,736
    Please let the 10c sell the shirts, based on the fact that people got fan club tickets to the show!!!!!!!
    Like they did with the posters, one or two per person.

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• Options
    To limit shirts to one or two is stupid!! What if someone is buying a shirt or two for themselves and another ten club member who couldn't make the show? If they did make a limit on shirts/posters it should be like (6). Their should be a limit like this or sell them on this site for 10c members. Anyone buying more than 6 is going to flip, looks like everyone should get to the merch table early. Merch table would lose money if limit was (2).
    In my lifetime, I have conquered the Multiverse by force of trUth.
  • Options
    how about form a gang and regulate the merch booth. beat down anyone who tries to walk away with 10 shirts, take said shirts and give them out for free.
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • Options
    how about form a gang and regulate the merch booth. beat down anyone who tries to walk away with 10 shirts, take said shirts and give them out for free.
    I'm in, I can take two of them and sew them together for XXXL :D:lol:
    In my lifetime, I have conquered the Multiverse by force of trUth.
  • Options
    I'm in, I can take two of them and sew them together for XXXL :D:lol:

LMFAO!!!

A lot of folks here would be so happy! Saves them the trouble of having to petition for it!

:lol:
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    I definitely think there should be a limit. After all if the Ten Club can limit how many tickets you can buy through them to prevent scalping, why cant they do the same for merchandise? I think a limit of 2 would be fair, in case you wanted to get some merchandise for a friend or family member who cant get along to a show.
  • Options
    mikepmikep Posts: 290
    from the sounds of how things have been going, it would be great to see a 2-3 shirts/posters limit. one for yourself, one for your buddy/guy/girl etc who's getting food or enjoying the seats.

though, it would be cool as well if there was an order program from the website after the shows for people who change their minds and decide they want a memento from the show.

either way, i support this general theme as well
    m
    96-11-Tor; 03-Mont; 05,13-London;05-Kitchnr, Hamltn; 06-Deroit;08-Mont(EV); 09-Albany(EV), Philly3&4; 10,13-Buff;10-NYC, Mt View; 11-(EV) Boston,Hart,Det,PJ20,Ott,Hamltn,Winnpg,Sask,Cal,Edmntn,Van; 12-Missoula; 13-Wrigley,Pitts,Port,Spok,Cal,Van,Sea.
  • Options
    hope they fix this before australia
    Bitch Be Cool 8)
    BRISBANE 1998,2003,2006,2009!!!
    Christchurch 2009
    Oh I'm a lucky man to count those I love on two hands

come say hi on facebook http://www.facebook.com/sean.montgomery
  • Options
    TeddyledbetterTeddyledbetter Seattle, WA Posts: 474
    Kat, Sea Please serve some cheese with this whine.

I didn't get a limited shirt the first night in Chicago.
    Got there a little earlier the second night and I did get one.
    So I made the choice that I wanted one and i did something about it.
    I chose to play, pay or not.

I think the appropriate question to ask is could these be reprinted and made available to everyone here on this site because they are all sweet looking shirts. If I remember correctly that was done with the Gorge shirts from 2005? They were printed in an alternate color not to take away from those that were actually purchased at the show. Maybe in this case just change the number on the back to 09 on all of them? Maybe even pre-orders would be the way to go to ensure the cost would be kept to a minimum and only quantities ordered would be printed.

Just throwing out a possible solution instead of a bitch... Well, I guess this last part is bitching at the bitchers :)
  • Options
    I agree. This really seems necessary after some crazies took this shit to another level. I can imagine going crazy (and broke) and buying one of everything after traveling across the country (or world) to see the band but buying 10, 20 + is just utterly ridiculous. A
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,415
    wht would be nice is if a simple email came out from the 10c and said "fear not if you didn't get a sports themed shirt at a certain show. like the posters, we will have them available online after the 2009 tour."

THIS would be nice to know...especially at the Philly shows. I want a T-shirt bad, but I'm not going to risk lives to get it. Like I said, it's just easier to pay the $150 or whatever...
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Get_Right wrote:

the only solution is if the 10c were to manage a table at the ticket window-but then it might take longer to get your tickets

Actually, the solution would be to tell the workers at the merch tables to limit each customer to one shirt. It's not that hard. Tons of bands do it, and PJ has done it before. You're making this seem a lot harder than it really is.
    they already do that for poster and the limited addition hoodies
    it doesnt work-fact
    and it certainly does not stop the vendors from hoarding stuff for themselves
  • Options
    solution: stop tailgaiting and get to the venue before doors open...when they let you in, run to merch stand...

i too missed out on chicago night one shirt... night two i made sure to get my ass there early enough to be the first in line when the doors opened... problem solved!
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    solution: stop tailgaiting and get to the venue before doors open...when they let you in, run to merch stand...

i too missed out on chicago night one shirt... night two i made sure to get my ass there early enough to be the first in line when the doors opened... problem solved!
    stop tailgaiting?? :shock:
    Thats my second favorite part of going to a show-hanging with friends and having a few beers
    Im not about to give that up for a t-shirt or an opening band for that matter
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,054

i would agree with you but PJ fans who are donating time, energy, and money at the wishlist pre parties shouldnt be penalized for doing that instead of waiting in line to get some t-shirts that will sell out in 3 minutes. make a public statement saying more will be available or limit it to one purchase per person etc. do something
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    Get_Right wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:

the only solution is if the 10c were to manage a table at the ticket window-but then it might take longer to get your tickets

Actually, the solution would be to tell the workers at the merch tables to limit each customer to one shirt. It's not that hard. Tons of bands do it, and PJ has done it before. You're making this seem a lot harder than it really is.
    they already do that for poster and the limited addition hoodies
    it doesnt work-fact
    and it certainly does not stop the vendors from hoarding stuff for themselves

It might not work immaculately, but it DOES help more people get posters/hoodies. While there will always be ways to cheat the system, the fact is that many MORE people get posters/hoodies with the 1-per-person policy than they would if that policy wasn't in place.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options

It might not work immaculately, but it DOES help more people get posters/hoodies. While there will always be ways to cheat the system, the fact is that many MORE people get posters/hoodies with the 1-per-person policy than they would if that policy wasn't in place.
    well I guess it does make some difference, but it probably wont change the fact that you simply need to be ready to enter the venue when it opens in order to score the really limited items
  • Options
    Dirty TomDirty Tom Posts: 883

i would agree with you but PJ fans who are donating time, energy, and money at the wishlist pre parties shouldnt be penalized for doing that instead of waiting in line to get some t-shirts that will sell out in 3 minutes. make a public statement saying more will be available or limit it to one purchase per person etc. do something

I 100% agree!!
    http://www.fancorps.com/wishlistfoundation/view/25753|187003.jpg

"This is the greatest band in the world"---Ben Harper

• Options
    Ha, when I saw the title of this thread I thought it was going to be about getting the website stopping you from spending all your money on PJ goodies because you could afford it :lol:
    Check out my covers http://www.youtube.com/wickedwkd

Amsterdam 26/6/12, Manchester 21/6/12, Manchester 20/6/12, PJ20 4/9/11 PJ20 3/9/11 Hyde Park 25/6/10, Belfast 23/6/10, Dublin 22/6/10, Philly 30/10/09, Philly 28/10/09, O2 18/8/09, Berlin 15/8/09, Shepherds Bush 11/8/09, Goeffert Park 28/6/07, Wembley Arena 18/6/09, Marseille 9/6/06, Reading Festival 27/8/06, Astoria 20/4/06
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    it would totally be cool if you could pre-order clothes and posters (with limits) and then have the order ready when you pick up your tickets ... i know logitically, it would be a hassle but for fans - it would be great ... you can take your poster and stuff back to your car or wherever and not worry about it by having to get into the venue and then leave ...
  • Options
    Were these super limited because of the potential copyright infringement they may attract?

I'm not super informed on copyright and brand protection but something tells me that these are pretty darn close to infringing on the trademarks of various sports teams. Maybe the company making them holds licensing rights with all the sports leagues but I sense it may be an issue if they were selling these in mass quantities on the 10c website.

any lawyers want to offer their opinion?
    "Hey, listen asshole, one more fucker throws a fuckin' quarter up here and we're outta here, I'm tellin' ya, FUCKER! What the fuck, you're blowin' it for fuckin' everybody. Hit me with a fuckin' quarter again and, fuck it, I'm outta here. We're all outta here. Fuck you, and if anyone sees someone throw fuckin' change right next to them, you have my permission to beat the fuckin' holy shit outta them."
  • Options
    bosshogg18bosshogg18 Tacoma, WA Posts: 1,082
    Were these super limited because of the potential copyright infringement they may attract?

I'm not super informed on copyright and brand protection but something tells me that these are pretty darn close to infringing on the trademarks of various sports teams. Maybe the company making them holds licensing rights with all the sports leagues but I sense it may be an issue if they were selling these in mass quantities on the 10c website.

any lawyers want to offer their opinion?

This crossed my mind as well. I wonder if they make under a certain amount if it keeps them from any infringement lawsuits, or if they agreed with the teams they copied that they would only sell so many (although there are no more Sonics and the Seattle owns that name not OKC, so they should be able to print as many as they want if team limiting is the case), etc.
    I wish they would put these up on their website after the tour. Just another way to go broke by buying all of them. I love sport and I love PJ...why do they sell such awesome merch?