Options

what's on your mind, right now?

Comments

• Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    Bigrfish said:

Thx guys...I know the cliche about dads being heros...but mine was..just a very solid force in my life...not complicated....just a good man..He's what I've always strived to be for my kids..I will miss him

Sorry for your loss, glad you have such good memories
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,780
    The banks are open again..ok then, let's go back to our beds..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,099
    SD48277 said:

FrankieG said:

SD48277 said:

Is today the day?

Hear my name, take a good look.
    This just made me smile. :smile: Thank you, Frankie.
    :)
    I really love that lyric!
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    I've just found out that the abusive e-mail I received over two years ago actually came from a real person and was not, as I had foolishly hoped, a highly sophisticated virus.

I cannot talk about this publicly or on facebook so I'll do it here if nobody minds.

The day I received the e-mail I shared a photograph on facebook from the 'National Suicide Prevention Week 2013' page, a beautiful quote from Stephen Fry regarding depression.

That night I received an e-mail, supposedly from 'John Woods' though that is undoubtedly a false name. The e-mail read

'What a 2 faced bitch talking about depression may it HAUNT you for the rest of your life .'

That was all, it was not even signed.

I struggled to think of anyone in my life who would send something like that to my personal e-mail address and eventually I decided I was best to just forget about it and go with the idea that it was some sort of mad virus triggered by me sharing the facebook post (yes I know, a bit of a leap but would you want to believe someone you know sent you that?)

Then today, that name actually did come back to haunt me. I'm a member of a committee responsible for running badminton in Leinster (a province here in Ireland). Today 'John Woods' e-mailed myself and the other committee members to complain about members of one of our sub-committees. Again, it appears other e-mails have been sent to these members which have also been abusive and the gardaí (Irish police) have been informed but were unable to trace the e-mail address.

To find out this person is real and involved in the badminton community is more than a little scary and my hands were bloody shaking as I read today's e-mails with disbelief. We have an executive meeting tonight and I've had to tell them I also received an e-mail from him two years ago. I'm not at all comfortable at the thought of having to share it with them but I don't think I have a choice

Sorry for the lengthy post, I just can't talk to anybody about it right now (as Exec matters are confidential) and I'm seriously rattled
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I'm sorry, Jenny. I really am. I don't blame you for your concern. I really don't. :frowning:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    I felt like the above comment needed to stand on its own. :frowning:

I'm ticked that money I gave for a memorial donation last week was stolen. I got a text from a friend asking if I gave money to her mom last week. (They had a memorial for her dad just last Wednesday.) She knew that she could ask and I wouldn't be offended. I told her that I had given towards the food cupboard, as requested, by check, included in a card that I wrote out to her and family. Her nephew stole money donated in his grandfather's name to support the church food pantry. Now I have to keep an eye out to see if the check gets cashed, despite it having been written out to the church with the memo line specifically stating that it was to be put aside for the food pantry in Frank's name. (There are apparently some "groceries" around here that will cash checks for people despite them not being their check.) The police department is on it and Kim told me just to hang tight and let her know if anything happens. Who the hell steals money collected at a memorial to be put aside to feed hungry people? (I know it happens all the time, but I don't get it.)
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    You definitely need to bring that up at the next executive meeting, as a whole . ( everyone who's received an email of abusive form
    From this guy).
  • Options
    Jenny, Print out that email from 2 years ago and bring it with you. You don't have to show anyone initially, but its good to have the evidence if needed.

I'm sorry this happened, it's definitely worth sharing, even if its a hard thing to do!

Deadendp, I'm pretty sure you can contact your bank and put a stop payment on that check so that it cannot be cashed even if they tried to.
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
  • Options
    Cheers all for the advice, was just a bit of a shock having it turn up again, albeit not targeted at me this time. Ultimately it's only words so I shouldn't let it get to me. Clearly this person's opinion of us is irrelevant. Now I just want to bloody find out who it is, particularly as my initial suspect is still very much in the frame. The thing is, that person is actually on our executive committee!

And you'd think badminton would be such a well-mannered sport :)
  • Options
    deadendp said:

I'm ticked that money I gave for a memorial donation last week was stolen. I got a text from a friend asking if I gave money to her mom last week. (They had a memorial for her dad just last Wednesday.) She knew that she could ask and I wouldn't be offended. I told her that I had given towards the food cupboard, as requested, by check, included in a card that I wrote out to her and family. Her nephew stole money donated in his grandfather's name to support the church food pantry. Now I have to keep an eye out to see if the check gets cashed, despite it having been written out to the church with the memo line specifically stating that it was to be put aside for the food pantry in Frank's name. (There are apparently some "groceries" around here that will cash checks for people despite them not being their check.) The police department is on it and Kim told me just to hang tight and let her know if anything happens. Who the hell steals money collected at a memorial to be put aside to feed hungry people? (I know it happens all the time, but I don't get it.)

Very sad that your nephew would do that, I take it he has stolen before for you to be so sure it was him? Banks shouldn't accept cheques from anyone other than the payee, then shops wouldn't take them as they'd know they couldn't cash them
  • Options
    It was her nephew that stole the money, currently in jail on drug use and charges from this weekend.

True that shops shouldn't accept checks from anyone else, but it happens. That is why I filled it out the way I did. I figured if someone stole it, it would be more difficult to cash.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Jenny, I agree...print out the email and bring it with you as evidence. It can be scary, but you never know, it may help out. If they find the guy, and the police only know of one abusive email, they may just give him a warning, but with your email, it would show a trend of him being an unstable person.

Good luck!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Jenny - I'm sorry that this happened but I would honestly take some solace in knowing it wasn't only you that was targeted and that the guy actually does this frequently. I know that sounds messed up but my thinking is that means its not personal and that would make me feel safer. I am surprised that its someone in your badminton community, but I guess it goes to show that there are creeps everywhere. Also I will second the idea of bringing a print out of the email and I would encourage to speak up. I can almost guarantee that if it's got you silenced, there are other people doing the exact same thing. That creep has obviously been at this for quite a while, if everyone who's been threatened by him came forward it might actually help the police get enough evidence to charge him. Or something.

Deadnp - that really sucks about your friends nephew. It just goes to show what addiction can do to people. If he's already in jail maybe the checks he stole are still in his apartment. I used to have checks cashed at a pizzeria all the time - they only do it if they know you. So that might be something else to consider. I think you can also tell the bank to stop the check if you give them the check number and stuff but I don't know if that's a free service. I do feel for your friends family though because after losing her father now she has to deal with this bs from her nephew.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    I know life isn't supposed to be easy, but waiting for the moment it no longer feels like a battle. I feel like I've been climbing a mountain for the past 3 years...my legs are starting to give out.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,243
    samjam said:

I know life isn't supposed to be easy, but waiting for the moment it no longer feels like a battle. I feel like I've been climbing a mountain for the past 3 years...my legs are starting to give out.

Oh, Sam, I feel for you! It's okay to rest. You are amazing, and I hope you give yourself credit. It won't always feel like this. Feel free to pm me if you want to talk.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    samjam said:

Hang in there Sam! No, life isn't supposed to be easy, and sometimes, it just feels like you are getting back on track and you get derailed again, and again...and again. In all honesty, there is no 'end' (well, when you die), but for now, take things as they come. Try to see something positive in the uncomfortable situations. You are doing the best you can, you can't control what other people do, only how you look at what has happened.
    I know it's easier said than done, but I do wish years ago I didn't spend so much time worrying...I would have enjoyed life more.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    deadendp said:

I'm sorry, but Ident42 is right, addiction does all kinds of crazy shit to people, we're dealing with it in my family now, my cousin is addicted to Heroin and has been in Jail already and was out and on parole, and doing good and then ended up with a druggy boyfriend again and then went on the run and got caught finally and now is back in jail, probably going to spend at least 1 year in Prison now....she's put my aunt and uncle and my grandparents through a lot and is not going to be there for her son....for all that time...he's only 5...and is a special needs baby...

Sorry I didn't mean to get on a rant....I just thought I'd share my experience....hope your's turns out better....
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    you dont want to know
  • Options
    these forum smileys are super creepy...

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    PJSiren said:

deadendp said:

I'm sorry, but Ident42 is right, addiction does all kinds of crazy shit to people, we're dealing with it in my family now, my cousin is addicted to Heroin and has been in Jail already and was out and on parole, and doing good and then ended up with a druggy boyfriend again and then went on the run and got caught finally and now is back in jail, probably going to spend at least 1 year in Prison now....she's put my aunt and uncle and my grandparents through a lot and is not going to be there for her son....for all that time...he's only 5...and is a special needs baby...

Sorry I didn't mean to get on a rant....I just thought I'd share my experience....hope your's turns out better....
    My brother is a bipolar, recovering heroin addict. I know the cycle all too well. It's sad. I really do. I know how they play the game. It still pisses me off.
  • Options
    deadendp said:

PJSiren said:

deadendp said:

My brother is a bipolar, recovering heroin addict. I know the cycle all too well. It's sad. I really do. I know how they play the game. It still pisses me off.
    Oh I think my cousin is bipolar too, and she refuses to seek treatment for the mental illness...because she's afraid of beinig locked up in a hospital....it's so sad....she had so much potantial...I just hope she gets to rehab and can turn it around for her son.
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    Ι get my salary today??
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    I'm always in such a good mood on a show day. :)
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    I figured out the sbolic representation of the word Fucknugget on accident today.. Lol. Ok off to Lowe's to replenish tools.
  • Options
    Cleaning house..i have lot to do..been lazy for long
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844

I figured out the sbolic representation of the word Fucknugget on accident today.. Lol. Ok off to Lowe's to replenish tools.

This leaves it up to personal interpretation whether you meant "symbolic" or "shambolic". Either are applicable to the degenerate situation.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    I SEE YOU LIZARD!

:waves madly:

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,243
    FrankieG said:

I'm always in such a good mood on a show day. :)

What show you going to, Frankie?
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    since the forum doesn't want me here...I guess I'll go work out...image

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Going to Portland on Saturday, I get to see my mamaw for the first time since I got married 5 years ago....I can't wait!!! I'm soooooo excited!!!!
    Tattooed Dissident!