Options

what's on your mind, right now?

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,168

This Cinderella backlash is a bunch of bs. If one movie can influence a little girl that a boy is all she needs then something else is wrong with how she is being raised.

I had a woman tell my 9 year old that 'she doesn't need a boy to hold a door open' when he did so for her and her daughter. WTF.

As with every thing in life extremist are a bunch of assholes.

the story is quite dated, and every feminist parent's nightmare, but you are correct. my daughters both love cinderella, but we also teach them that it's fantasy, and that they don't need a spouse of any kind to "rescue" them.

they prefer monster high now anyway. LOL

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,838

This Cinderella backlash is a bunch of bs. If one movie can influence a little girl that a boy is all she needs then something else is wrong with how she is being raised.

I had a woman tell my 9 year old that 'she doesn't need a boy to hold a door open' when he did so for her and her daughter. WTF.

As with every thing in life extremist are a bunch of assholes.

This part is aggravating it's not about a 'boy' holding the door for anyone it's about one human being, being nice to another human being. Your son did a nice thing and she was just a snatch. Women who can't realize that feminism isn't about doing it all your self and downing on men are not feminists and they give those of us who actually are a very bad rap.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Can't thank you guys enough. Life has its peaks and valleys, and its a valley for me right now. Just gonna have to keep winging it to the next peak :)
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    samjam said:

Wow wow wow wow.

Out of the blue, I Facebook messaged a pretty famous (lead singer has an item on display at the RNRHOF) old NYC punk band, who had a member my late father was friends with. 20 minutes later, I GET AN ANSWER from this guy saying he remembered my dad, and he's now reaching out to mutual friends for more stories and such. Just wow.

Update!! The lead singer gave me the name of the guitar player, who also knew my dad and he just sent me a lovely e-mail with even more memories of my dad! I'm so amazed and happy.
    ~not a dude~
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    samjam said:

samjam said:

Wow wow wow wow.

Out of the blue, I Facebook messaged a pretty famous (lead singer has an item on display at the RNRHOF) old NYC punk band, who had a member my late father was friends with. 20 minutes later, I GET AN ANSWER from this guy saying he remembered my dad, and he's now reaching out to mutual friends for more stories and such. Just wow.

Update!! The lead singer gave me the name of the guitar player, who also knew my dad and he just sent me a lovely e-mail with even more memories of my dad! I'm so amazed and happy.
    this is so wonderful to hear sam!

FrankieG...I read an article that said when someone micromanages you, they are actually threatened by your competency...sort of challenging you in a way. Probably best to ask them directly, what type of goals they want reached, or what outcomes they expect from you. Like when they say,"work on this report" ask them, "when do you need it by, what information do you need in it? etc, etc" they may eventually get the hint. Though sometimes some bosses just get off on telling people what to do.

...and I fucking hold the door open for anybody, man or woman. It's common courtesy, and being respectful. Or I at least ask, "can I get the door for you?" It's fucking rude to let a door slam in another person's face.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859

Time Warner Cable - bunch of @*%$#%&()

Did they raise your bill too?!?! My bill just went up $30/month out of no where, for no reason, with no change to my service.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    French fries...
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    I had to go to PetCo to get more Kitty Caps.. And two weird things happened.. First, a puppy just ran up to me howling and crying as if terrified.. His owner was frantically calling and looking for him.. So as i quieted the adorable little Belgian Shepard pup, I called out that I had the puppy in the cat section with me. The guy showed up, and the puppy sat at my feet until the guy picked him up. He put the puppy in his basket, and turned to leave, thanking me, and the puppy jumped out of the basket and back to me. Then, as I was leaving, I opened my car door, and this gigantic German Shepard jumped in my car!! Just jumped in and sat in my passenger seat! Her owner was as shocked as I was!! And I reached in to get her out, and she just licked my face and head frantically! Weird day!!
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844

I had to go to PetCo to get more Kitty Caps.. And two weird things happened.. First, a puppy just ran up to me howling and crying as if terrified.. His owner was frantically calling and looking for him.. So as i quieted the adorable little Belgian Shepard pup, I called out that I had the puppy in the cat section with me. The guy showed up, and the puppy sat at my feet until the guy picked him up. He put the puppy in his basket, and turned to leave, thanking me, and the puppy jumped out of the basket and back to me. Then, as I was leaving, I opened my car door, and this gigantic German Shepard jumped in my car!! Just jumped in and sat in my passenger seat! Her owner was as shocked as I was!! And I reached in to get her out, and she just licked my face and head frantically! Weird day!!

Animal magnetism, obviously.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    frozenwithsaltfrozenwithsalt Texas Posts: 765
    ldent42 said:

Did they raise your bill too?!?! My bill just went up $30/month out of no where, for no reason, with no change to my service.
    No but they are charging me for a service they didn't provide. I had cancelled cable then added back on about 2 months ago and even after the cable guy came and 'flipped the switch' outside the cable never worked. So after about 3 services calls I gave up and said to stop he cable and I would be in to drop off boxes.

Well fast forward a month and the cable boxes were still in my car so I finally made it to drop them off and was told since I had the boxes they were still going to charge me price for the cable. I told them I haven't EVER had cable. They said since it took a month and THEIR systems say the cable was on they were going to charge me. Their decisions stands. Refused to let me speak with anyone else.

I'm not a physical person usually but I wanted to slap the itch.

• Options
    samjam said:

Can't thank you guys enough. Life has its peaks and valleys, and its a valley for me right now. Just gonna have to keep winging it to the next peak :)

I hope things get better. I have had my own stormy days too, but I am finally starting to see some blue sky.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859

ldent42 said:

No but they are charging me for a service they didn't provide. I had cancelled cable then added back on about 2 months ago and even after the cable guy came and 'flipped the switch' outside the cable never worked. So after about 3 services calls I gave up and said to stop he cable and I would be in to drop off boxes.

Well fast forward a month and the cable boxes were still in my car so I finally made it to drop them off and was told since I had the boxes they were still going to charge me price for the cable. I told them I haven't EVER had cable. They said since it took a month and THEIR systems say the cable was on they were going to charge me. Their decisions stands. Refused to let me speak with anyone else.

I'm not a physical person usually but I wanted to slap the itch.

Oh yea they do that. Even if you cancel the service they still charge you by the day until you turn in the boxes. They're evil.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,572

Animal magnetism, obviously.
    Animal lover... :smiley:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,099
    RKCNDY said:

samjam said:

samjam said:

Wow wow wow wow.

this is so wonderful to hear sam!

FrankieG...I read an article that said when someone micromanages you, they are actually threatened by your competency...sort of challenging you in a way. Probably best to ask them directly, what type of goals they want reached, or what outcomes they expect from you. Like when they say,"work on this report" ask them, "when do you need it by, what information do you need in it? etc, etc" they may eventually get the hint. Though sometimes some bosses just get off on telling people what to do.

...and I fucking hold the door open for anybody, man or woman. It's common courtesy, and being respectful. Or I at least ask, "can I get the door for you?" It's fucking rude to let a door slam in another person's face.
    Yes, awesome news Sam!

I can see that may be the case, but my team lead has 22 more years experience than I do.. It seems that the micromanaging started around the time we got a 5th team member (I was #4). I think she is feeling the pressure to stay on top of everyone's projects because she is ultimately responsible, but the only way she knows how is to constantly hover, ask for updates, and rate everyone against each other. Maybe I'm just need to relax a little, give her what she wants, and see how it plays out? But then I don't want to set a precendent that can't be taken back... ha
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    FrankieG said:

I can see that may be the case, but my team lead has 22 more years experience than I do.. It seems that the micromanaging started around the time we got a 5th team member (I was #4). I think she is feeling the pressure to stay on top of everyone's projects because she is ultimately responsible, but the only way she knows how is to constantly hover, ask for updates, and rate everyone against each other. Maybe I'm just need to relax a little, give her what she wants, and see how it plays out? But then I don't want to set a precendent that can't be taken back... ha

or if she has a boss, her boss may be riding her ass for getting stuff done. Relax a little, do what she wants, and see how it goes from there.
    I don't think rating employees against each other isn't really fair, unless everybody has the same responsibilities.
    I'm glad at my new job, everybody wants to be up front and honest, go directly to each other if you have any issues.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    Jesus things like this actually happen??? :(

Pregnant woman stabbed and baby taken from her womb after answering internet ad http://jrnl.ie/2000351 via TheJournal.ie
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,808
    when i get my salary????????????
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    Taking my boyfriend's mom to see Neil Diamond tomorrow night-- wish me luck!! Thinking I may need a few beverages to get through this one! But really just glad to have gotten her free tickets to see one of her favorites. I'll gladly take one for the team for that!
    ~not a dude~
  • Options
    samjam said:

Taking my boyfriend's mom to see Neil Diamond tomorrow night-- wish me luck!! Thinking I may need a few beverages to get through this one! But really just glad to have gotten her free tickets to see one of her favorites. I'll gladly take one for the team for that!

Niel Diamond isn't that bad in Concert. As a matter of fact, it was a lot of fun! Everyone sang along.. And to watch little old ladies swoon us funny and cute! Anyhow, have fun.
  • Options
    Lmao! I'm telling you, auto correct has given up on me! Neil, not Niel.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192

samjam said:

Niel Diamond isn't that bad in Concert. As a matter of fact, it was a lot of fun! Everyone sang along.. And to watch little old ladies swoon us funny and cute! Anyhow, have fun.
    Neil Diamond vs. Tom Jones
    discuss

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options

Jesus things like this actually happen??? :(

Pregnant woman stabbed and baby taken from her womb after answering internet ad http://jrnl.ie/2000351 via TheJournal.ie

Happens more often that you think...sadly!!!!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    samjam said:

My Grandma loves Neil Diamond...I would sooooo take her to see him, that would be so much fun even though I don't really like him all that much...haha
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    It'll definitely be an interesting experience. I hear his concerts are pretty lively, and yes whisperinghands, exciting to see all the old ladies go nuts! Plus I have good company in my bf's mom, and I know I'll be making her very happy, so it's all good.

Also lolobugg--when you said Tom Jones, the first thing that came to my mind was this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYIwPu50Fic
    ~not a dude~
  • Options
    The new job is cool, but I only expected to work 2 days this week, totally switched my shifts around my volunteering shifts-which ended up not needing to be switched anyway, and planned Friday as my 'me' day...work on the yard, plant some flowers, go shopping, run a bunch of errands... But I only worked a half day today, and go back tomorrow.

At least it's only a 2 mile commute.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,572
    Romance in NOT dead fuckers! :heart:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    samjam said:

It'll definitely be an interesting experience. I hear his concerts are pretty lively, and yes whisperinghands, exciting to see all the old ladies go nuts! Plus I have good company in my bf's mom, and I know I'll be making her very happy, so it's all good.

Also lolobugg--when you said Tom Jones, the first thing that came to my mind was this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYIwPu50Fic

:rofl:

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    RKCNDY said:

The new job is cool, but I only expected to work 2 days this week, totally switched my shifts around my volunteering shifts-which ended up not needing to be switched anyway, and planned Friday as my 'me' day...work on the yard, plant some flowers, go shopping, run a bunch of errands... But I only worked a half day today, and go back tomorrow.

At least it's only a 2 mile commute.

Nice!!
  • Options
    I just noticed that I have one navy shoe on and one black. I don't have time to go home before a meeting - I'm wearing a skirt, everywill will notice becuase they are peep toe and I have bright red polish and it makes it obvious. :(
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,168
    FrankieG said:

samjam said:

You guys are great (and much cheaper than therapy)! Thanks for the wisdom in my confusing, adolescent hour. I also have to stop comparing myself to others because I think that's making me even more crazy. (But seriously, how do so many people I know (seemingly) have their shit together?!)

I debate this question alot too, and all I keep coming back to is "they make it up as they go along".

----

Looking for advice on how to deal with a team lead who is slowly starting to be more and more micromanaging me? Can I just come out and ask her to stop? That's what I want to do... but the things I have read online say to prove that her micromanaging is pointless which will eventually lead her to stop. Anyone have experience with this?
    yes. my last boss was the worst I'd ever had. when he first started, he treated us all as if we were geniuses "hello Paul, I need your expertise" was his go-to line. then he started telling us to submit times we scheduled our lunch hour. for 8 years my boss above him was loose, "take lunch when you want" type of thing.

my response: "when I'm hungry"

he asked me again about a week later. I said "I gave you my response; when I'm hungry". he wanted me/us to go for lunch at a pre-determined set time every single day. I said "so if I'm in the middle of something at that particular moment, you want me to drop everything because it's lunch time? this isn't a construction site or an assembly line".

eventually when he didn't give me a raise because of "personality conflict", i told him what a horrible boss he was. i told him that the people in this department have been there for years, some decades, and we don't need someone coming in and micromanaging every little minute of our day. your job is to make sure our jobs get done. and they do. our department pretty much runs itself. so don't fuck with it. all you are doing is pissing everyone off. some even went to HR looking into the possibility of early retirement!

he quit not longer after that.

micromanagers are insecure people who are afraid they don't have handle on things. they are poor leaders.

I don't know your corporate culture. or how people view you. People know I'm outspoken and if something pisses me off, I will let them know. I think I get a little bit of a pass becuase of that. My dad was shocked when I told him I told my boss that he sucked. that would have gotten him fired back in the day.

maybe pull her aside, privately, and tell her, calmly, that you are feeling as if she isn't confident you can do your job, and ask if there is any reason for that and what you can do to alleviate her stress about it. make it sound as if YOU want to improve.

if she's a reasonable professional, that will open her eyes to the fact she's been a moron, and she'll explain she's just stressed about the project and she's sorry. if she's just a power hungry and/or insecure bitch, there's really not much you can do. just any time she gives you a directive, say "yeah, already on it, thanks".

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com