Options

what's on your mind, right now?

Comments

• Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    :hug::hug:@njnancy :hug::hug:
    You get ALL the hugs!
    Did the doctor give you eye drops? I get the sand in my eyeballs too. It's called corneal erosion, it's cuz your lenses are getting uneven. You gotta use these eye drops that burn like hell to even them back out. It's called Muro 128. Make sure you buy the drops not the ointment. I had to do ointment once when it was really bad, I couldn't sleep alone for a week! Cuz you can't see after it's in your eye. It was awful.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Okay, tomorrow, I'll be in West Seattle again, studying in the Public Library in the morning for my PhD viva. If you're around and want to distract me by sticking pencils up my nose, PM me,
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,572
    Hopefully I'll be undertaking my viva the same time next year. :smile: Congratulations for your wedding and good luck for your oral examination! :smiley:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844

Okay, tomorrow, I'll be in West Seattle again, studying in the Public Library in the morning for my PhD viva. If you're around and want to distract me by sticking pencils up my nose, PM me,

Wow, you've got your viva coming up? We're rooting for you!
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Congrats, Fins, and all the best!
    I confess that I had to look up viva and learned that it's what we call a thesis/dissertation defense.
    (All I could think of was Viva Las Vegas. :blush: )
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    The transition from college to adult life has been extremely difficult on me, for many, many reasons. Lots of difficult choices and realizations. Adult life has been more of a bummer than exciting so far.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    samjam said:

The transition from college to adult life has been extremely difficult on me, for many, many reasons. Lots of difficult choices and realizations. Adult life has been more of a bummer than exciting so far.

For the most part, it's hard to see the benefits of being an adult! I guess if you can get a job and earn enough it does give you certain freedoms. I've planned a trip to Paris in October, for example. I also consider being able to eat toast for dinner to be a benefit of adulthood :)

On the whole though, the older you get the harder it seems to be, as the feeling that you're failing to tick the right boxes grows every year. Life certainly seemed a hell of a lot simpler in school and college. So few responsibilities or decisions to be made and no great worry about achieving the expected milestones e.g. boyfriend, marriage, kids etc. Life seemed full of endless possibilities. Once you're a proper 'grown-up' though, it seems to me that every year another door is closing and that maybe this is it, this is all I can hope for.

You, however, are younger than me :) I'm fairly sure that you're also a more outgoing and positive person (it wouldn't be hard!). So I'm pretty sure you'll get to grips with adult life and make the most of its benefits in a way that I have failed to do. Once you get a solid job it'll change a lot...
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013

i did not find any carrots at the library...I even brought Ticonderoga pencils.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    edited March 2015
    RKCNDY said:

i did not find any carrots at the library...I even brought Ticonderoga pencils.
    Those are the best pencils.
    samjam said:

I never had that experience, but I understand what you mean. The only thing I can say is everything takes time. You're not gonna land your feet in the perfect set up for the rest of your life at 24. It might've worked like that for previous generations but that is just a fantasy now. Remember this: you gain wisdom from experience, and this is an experience you gotta live through now, to understand yourself better in ten year's time.
    Also,

Edit: Sam I just realized you're still 22. (That's not as creepy as it sounds, I was at that Baltimore show where you got a cup full of wine for your 21st bday, it was on the big tv! Lol) Girrrrrrrrrl quit worrying and go make some bad decisions/have some fun!!!!!!
    Post edited by ldent42 on
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,168
    lost
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527

lost

They gave you your name back how cool!
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,402
    A lot of scattered bits occupy my mind:
    hopes for tomorrow,
    gratitude for the good moments today,
    and wonders about too much to mention!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    How to shrink the middle of the US down and move Virginia closer to Oregon... *le sigh* I miss my best friend....
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    Thanks jenny and ident :)

Life's just very daunting at this point in time. I am in a totally, completely different place right now than I thought I'd be at this point--in some truly wonderful ways, and in some that trouble me, and make my head spin. I'm sure some clarity will come with time. I've just never been good at the unknown, but excellent at worrying.
    ~not a dude~
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    samjam said:

Thanks jenny and ident :)

Life's just very daunting at this point in time. I am in a totally, completely different place right now than I thought I'd be at this point--in some truly wonderful ways, and in some that trouble me, and make my head spin. I'm sure some clarity will come with time. I've just never been good at the unknown, but excellent at worrying.

Sam, not sure if this will help or not but just keep telling yourself, you still have at least another 60 years before you should worry about if you made the right choices. When I was in my 20s, I worried about trying to be responsible, getting a career in order, making sure I didn't screw up. But Jenny and ident are right, you're young now, you don't have a whole lot of responsibility...enjoy your carefree life right now, have fun, be daring, be adventurous, take life as it comes. Don't be afraid of making dumb mistakes, it's okay to worry, but there are so much more bigger things to worry about later in life. You can always start squirreling away some 'mad money' if it helps bring you some piece of mind.

Life is an adventure, if you knew what was coming (like the end of a good book), then it would be boring.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    I am more than double 22 years, and my life is nothing like what I thought it would be at 22.

I have a different career than I had imagined. I have a daughter when I had not imagined having kids. I lived for four years in Europe and that possibility hadn't even occurred to me at 22!

There is plenty more to come, samjam (and jenny)! Granted, some of it won't be that great, but some of it will, and that's par for the course.
  • Options
    You guys are great (and much cheaper than therapy)! Thanks for the wisdom in my confusing, adolescent hour. I also have to stop comparing myself to others because I think that's making me even more crazy. (But seriously, how do so many people I know (seemingly) have their shit together?!)
    ~not a dude~
  • Options

lost

Still different membership, but i just asked them to change it, and they did it very quickly!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    samjam said:

You guys are great (and much cheaper than therapy)! Thanks for the wisdom in my confusing, adolescent hour. I also have to stop comparing myself to others because I think that's making me even more crazy. (But seriously, how do so many people I know (seemingly) have their shit together?!)

They don't! They're just pretending a bit more strenuously than you are.
  • Options
    PJSiren said:

How to shrink the middle of the US down and move Virginia closer to Oregon... *le sigh* I miss my best friend....

Yeah if we did that then I could be closer to my best friend on LA.
  • Options
    samjam said:

I've just never been good at the unknown, but excellent at worrying.

This is for you Sam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EX5NzqNXc

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,099
    samjam said:

I debate this question alot too, and all I keep coming back to is "they make it up as they go along".

----

Looking for advice on how to deal with a team lead who is slowly starting to be more and more micromanaging me? Can I just come out and ask her to stop? That's what I want to do... but the things I have read online say to prove that her micromanaging is pointless which will eventually lead her to stop. Anyone have experience with this?
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    My BS meter is at an all time low today...no time for all of today's crap. Hmph.
    ~not a dude~
  • Options
    oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646

samjam said:

And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • Options

samjam said:

I agree with this. And also, some people just don't get bothered by not having their shit together as much as others. some people are ok with just flying by the seat of their pants and living in chaos. and that's ok for them. but if it's not ok for you, then that's ok for you.

I used to be ok with not knowing what the day may bring. But now, not knowing stresses me the fuck out. Which makes for a stressful life with two young kids. One with a chronic illness. I don't deal with it well. But get this: many people have told me they admire how strong I am. When my perception is that I'm weak as fuck. Think about that. You think others are strong and have their shit together, but that is your perception of their life. That is SO MUCH DIFFERENT than what is actually going on in their life and in their head.

to sum up: you can't compare yourself to others. because you are comparing yourself to a perception that is most likely completely inaccurate.

and not only that: you can't compare yourself to someone else as they have not had the exact same experiences as you to make you who you are, and vice versa.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

lost

Still different membership, but i just asked them to change it, and they did it very quickly!
    Sucks about losing the membership, but cool they changed the name back for you.:-) good seeing that name again. Paulonious just wasn't the same.
  • Options

samjam said:

So sooooo true!
  • Options
    frozenwithsaltfrozenwithsalt Texas Posts: 765
    Time Warner Cable - bunch of @*%$#%&()
  • Options
    frozenwithsaltfrozenwithsalt Texas Posts: 765
    This Cinderella backlash is a bunch of bs. If one movie can influence a little girl that a boy is all she needs then something else is wrong with how she is being raised.

I had a woman tell my 9 year old that 'she doesn't need a boy to hold a door open' when he did so for her and her daughter. WTF.

As with every thing in life extremist are a bunch of assholes.