Tomorrow I make the biggest decision of my life

124»

Comments

• Byrnzie wrote:

So, do you think he's an idiot, or do you love him? :?

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. For the record I love HST. The "Idiot" would apply to what's-his-face lookin to quit his job for the sake of a concert. The quotes you gave seemed to say that he should just do it, that he wasn't really living unless he took a chance.

But he seemed to be resistant to everyone's advice that he shouldn't quit, hence the "fool for a master" quote. He's got nothing going for him, hence the "blown all his options" quote. I think even the good doctor was able to recognize a hopeless situation (in which case he would just mace everyone and bolt, but let's face it - musicismylife is NOT Hunter Thompson...).

Personally, I think he'd be an idiot to quit. But I've got a good job that I actually enjoy so I'm biased.
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    skippybrew wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:

So, do you think he's an idiot, or do you love him? :?

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. For the record I love HST. The "Idiot" would apply to what's-his-face lookin to quit his job for the sake of a concert. The quotes you gave seemed to say that he should just do it, that he wasn't really living unless he took a chance.

But he seemed to be resistant to everyone's advice that he shouldn't quit, hence the "fool for a master" quote. He's got nothing going for him, hence the "blown all his options" quote. I think even the good doctor was able to recognize a hopeless situation (in which case he would just mace everyone and bolt, but let's face it - musicismylife is NOT Hunter Thompson...).

Personally, I think he'd be an idiot to quit. But I've got a good job that I actually enjoy so I'm biased.

O.k, I get ya. I didn't read those quotes carefully enough before.

Some people have the balls & the kudos to throw hell to the wind, and some people should probably just get down to browsing the ads sections of their local newspapers.

I think I'd have to agree with that.
  • strummersstrummers Posts: 2,611
    I took Voluntary redundancy from my job at the end of last year and got a decent payout (I have a mortgage and bills etc), at the same time my other half was made redundant.

My other half did get another job in an industry he thought would be perfect for him - turns out it wasn't and he hated every minute of it! I've never sen him so down about a job before - and some of his others haven't exactly been great (maybe it was because he'd hoped it would be so much better it hurt more when it wasn't). Anyway, I encouraged him to quit, even though I still wasn't working. He did, and although worrying now about where the next job will come from, I know deep down he did the right thing. Other than our mortgage we don't have any kids, but we do have 3 cats which means we are tied to staying in the same place and staying 'stable' while they're still with us.

In many ways I wish we weren't tied to this mortgage and our pets as I would love the chance to travel or move to another place for a while to experience life outside of the city I grew up in. If I was 25, worked in a supermarket and was unhappy with my lot I would love to have the balls to just get up and go somewhere new. I tied myself to a mortgage from the age of 20 and most of money has gone into paying bills, I wish I'd had the opportunity to travel and experience more things before I settled down.

That being said, I think to do it, it may be an idea to say something like - "ok if I'm in the same situation in 6 months and feel the same I'm leaving". Use the 6 months to plan where you'd like to go and save as much as is humanly possible (the sad fact is in this society to do anything you really do need some money behind you - even if it's not a fortune). Maybe share your flat for those 6 months or look to move in with friends and share the bills for those 6 months to help you build up even more funds.

But I'd say to anyone in that situation - think about it hard and, if its right, go for it while you can!
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    http://www.strummersphotography.com

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    To the OP:

I don't know if you quit your job yet or not, but you shouldn't. It's an absolutely horrible idea. I remember being 25 and having crazy whims like this, and I'm glad I didn't let myself get carried away. This message board is the only place the world that would be remotely sympathetic to the idea of quitting your job so you can see Pearl Jam in Seattle, and somehow start a new life, in the middle of a bad recession. But you may have noticed, we are really not sympathetic to the idea, are we? It seems like you are seeking justification for your overabundance of hope, rather than advice.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    Very bad idea
  • LauriLauri Posts: 748
    aNiMaL wrote:
    You never quit a job unless you have another one lined up. My dad taught me that when I was a kid.

Other than the obvious reason, it makes it weird when you're in an interview for your next job and they ask what the deal is.
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    so....... ?

you post about this how many times, then dont let us know what you decided ?
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • the wolf wrote:
    so....... ?

After responding to this guys 363 threads, about his job....

I no longer give a fuck whether he ever works again........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • the wolf wrote:
    so....... ?

big decisions

yup

yawn
  • its back to school season, clearly there are job openings at supermarkets now? Unless you are in management, then thats different. I guess I hope you're in management for your sake.
    -one thing to remember, always have a good time, all the time
  • classic narcisistic move; rather than admit you were wrong, suck it up, and go home. You bury your head in the sand and pretend the debate never happened.

If it never happened, you were never wrong in the first place.

But hey, look on the bright side, with not being able to go to the PJ shows, it gives you ammo to further complain about being a victim of society.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    I quit my job today......

there was a big sale on Ramen noodles at the supermarket and I just had to go.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Wonder who got his tickets? :P :lol:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Jerome230 wrote:
    Haha, this reminds me of the time I considered skipping out on rent to go see the Rolling Stones.

Love your avatar.
    Long live J.R, king of guitar.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    But hey, look on the bright side, with not being able to go to the PJ shows, it gives you ammo to further complain about being a victim of society.

:P
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    Jerome230 wrote:
    Haha, this reminds me of the time I considered skipping out on rent to go see the Rolling Stones.

Love your avatar.
    Long live J.R, king of guitar.

I watched "Too Tough To Die, a Tribute to Johnny Ramone" last night. Pretty phenomenal Hour and 16 minutes.

Henry Rollins was hilarious. Eddie V. was awesome in it too. Thought they did a great job honoring their friend
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    so did you quit?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    If you bag groceries for a living, don't give a shit about your job, and inspire to become a hobo....is a two weeks notice really necessary?
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • aNiMaL wrote:
    You never quit a job unless you have another one lined up. My dad taught me that when I was a kid.
    exactly.....I mean I love the band but to quit your job? This is where we need a feature on the pit where a member of the band comes in to comment and says something along the lines of wth?
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • The Champ wrote:
    If you bag groceries for a living, don't give a shit about your job, and inspire to become a hobo....is a two weeks notice really necessary?
    hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe............................................................
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    the wolf wrote:
    so....... ?

Wow......"a fuck" seems greater than "a rat's ass"...that's strong, Man :twisted:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    The Champ wrote:
    hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe............................................................

Looks like he already cashed in your Ramen noodles and is on the look out for a gaming console:
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=109431

You can't make this shit up :) ..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • So I see you went to Seattle....

Did you have to quit your job???
    Or did you get the time off????
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I watched "Too Tough To Die, a Tribute to Johnny Ramone" last night. Pretty phenomenal Hour and 16 minutes.

Henry Rollins was hilarious. Eddie V. was awesome in it too. Thought they did a great job honoring their friend

Why can't I find a torrent of this anywhere? :twisted:
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    All the Hunter S. Thompson quotes in this thread were fantastic. Cant beat a wee bit of Hunter.

"Freedom is something that dies unless it's used."
  • Did you have to quit your job to go to those Seattle shows?
    Or did your boss give you the time off????
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Did you have to quit your job to go to those Seattle shows?

dont think he is going to answer us speedy. :roll:
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Leave responsibility and fear with the Republicans, and leave the fun for the rest of us. :P

This type of thinking is horrible. Grow up.

Make time for fun, make plans. Deal with life as an adult. Not a hedonistic teenager. I love pearl jam and love to go to shows but i'm not going to make other people pay for my desires.
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576

I think we know the answer to this now.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=127280
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    youngster wrote:

I think we know the answer to this now.

http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=127280

That's cold of you to point this out. :shock:

(Even though a lot of us certainly noticed the connection to this original thread. :? ) :geek:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
This discussion has been closed.