Tomorrow I make the biggest decision of my life

Comments

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    Seattle is a pretty expensive place to live, isnt it?

You should not hurry up and quit. It is fine to realize you want out of a situation... but to truly be free in this society, you need to be free of debt and have a good (not a lot necessarily, just dependable and to support your life) cash flow... and enjoy what you do for a living.

Think of what you would like to do for work from now on. Then plan how you get into that path, whether its more schooling, acquiring a job somewhere, etc.

Then you make decisions and systematically execute your plan, focus and work your hardest/do your best. You will live a happy life.

This day and age you have to think things out. Its not wise to go willingly from employed to unknown.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Byrnzie wrote:
    aNiMaL wrote:
    But if you are paying rent and bills and stuff, then you better have a job lined up before quitting. Being unhappy is no reason to just quit a job with no immediate alternative plan.

Do you not have welfare checks in the U.S? If he can't find a job straight away then he can simply claim welfare to see him through until he does.
    And he works in a supermarket right now. How many other retail jobs are there available? Must be hundreds. Getting a job in retail isn't difficult, even in during this current period.
    I walked out on a job before just so I could go to the pub and celebrate a friends birthday. It was a great move. I had a great night out and didn't regret it one bit the next day. Walking out on jobs that suck feels great. It feels liberating. If you walk out of one crappy job there's always another crappy job just around the corner. A couple of Pearl Jam shows are something he'll never forget. Crappy jobs are there for a reason - so that you can walk out of them to do more important things if and when they arise, and not have to give a shit about the consequences.

If the supermarket you're at now hired you a few months ago, then the supermarket around the corner will hire you next month for the exact same reasons.
    I will not encourage him as a plan to get on welfare. I don't want to pay for his narcissistic ass. If it is so easy for him to get another job,then he should go get that other job BEFORE he quits this job. Would if the next job wants to talk to his former employer and they tell them that he walked off the job and they wouldn't hire him back? That could make it more difficult to get that next job.
  • You could steal all of pjtradekings posters and FLIP them on ebay,via free internet access at the library.
    I'm sure SPEEDY would agree,right? :o :shock: :lol:;)
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I will not encourage him as a plan to get on welfare. I don't want to pay for his narcissistic ass. If it is so easy for him to get another job,then he should go get that other job BEFORE he quits this job. Would if the next job wants to talk to his former employer and they tell them that he walked off the job and they wouldn't hire him back? That could make it more difficult to get that next job.

You think you'll end up paying more in taxes if he does this? Or you think you get to pay less everytime someone out there gets a job? Errm, nope. You should be more concerned everytime you see an Exocet missile being launched by your government at some defenseless brown people - do you know how much those things cost?

Anyway, sometimes in life you have to take a chance. It's called livin'. And taking chances once in a while is character building. And he's young enough to be able to take chances. Shit, if he doesn't start livin' now then he never will.

What's the worst that can happen? If he ends up losing his apartment then he can move in with a friend. If his friends don't rise to the occasion to help him out then he can move back in with his folks for a while. Big deal. Too many people live in fear. I say fuck it! Quit the crappy job and enjoy yourself.
  • Byrnzie wrote:
    aNiMaL wrote:

You think you'll end up paying more in taxes if he does this? Or you think you get to pay less everytime someone out there gets a job? Errm, nope. You should be more concerned everytime you see an Exocet missile being launched by your government at some defenseless brown people - do you know how much those things cost?

Anyway, sometimes in life you have to take a chance. It's called livin'. And taking chances once in a while is character building. And he's young enough to be able to take chances. Shit, if he doesn't start livin' now then he never will.

What's the worst that can happen? If he ends up losing his apartment then he can move in with a friend. If his friends don't rise to the occasion to help him out then he can move back in with his folks for a while. Big deal. Too many people live in fear. I say fuck it! Quit the crappy job and enjoy yourself.
    Every suggestion you have come up with involves this guy living off others.

Collect Welfare
    Mooch off his friends
    Mooch off his family

Why not tell this guy to act like a responsible adult?
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    the worst thing that can happen is he gets into an accident god forbid and just quit a job with benefits.

it is assinine to base this decision or rush into it due to a Pearl Jam concert.

Collect Welfare
    Mooch off his friends
    Mooch off his family

You make it sound like helping your friends and/or family is a bad thing. Is that what they teach you in America? That it's everyone for themselves and fuck everybody else? Personally, if one of my friends hated his job, decided he needed to quit it, and needed to crash at my place for a month, or a few months until he sorted out a place of his own then I wouldn't think twice about it. But then maybe my definition of the word 'friend' isn't the same as yours?

Seriously, are Americans all really so fearful and conservative? I thought America was founded on ideals of freedom and adventure? Sounds to me like that's all dead and buried.

'In God We Trust'?.......I wonder if Mary would have found a place to stay in America on the night of 25th December - a friendly innkeeper - or if Jesus would have had to be born on the street instead - perhaps in a trash can, or in a cardboard box? :lol:
  • Um, may I ask the obvious question..

Why did you buy tickets to a show you weren't sure you could go to?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    Um, may I ask the obvious question..

Maybe for the same reason I bought tickets to 3 shows in Europe in 2006 even though I knew I couldn't get the time off work for them. Because some things are worth more than a fucking lousy job.

I phoned in sick and took the week off. I then took the following Wednesday off work after my return in order to fly out to Italy to see Pearl Jam play in Pistoia. It was the best couple of weeks of the whole of 2006 and something I'll never forget.

Ya see, some people choose to put life before work. A scary concept for many people in this day and age, but it's true. I repeat: some people choose to put life before work. Something to do with the spirit of rock 'n roll - remember that?
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Um, may I ask the obvious question..

oh i do that. i buy the tix first and then make it happen. its a motivator more than anything else cause i couldnt possibly spend money on tix and then not go.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Byrnzie wrote:

Collect Welfare
    Mooch off his friends
    Mooch off his family

You make it sound like helping your friends and/or family is a bad thing. Is that what they teach you in America? That it's everyone for themselves and fuck everybody else? Personally, if one of my friends hated his job, decided he needed to quit it, and needed to crash at my place for a month, or a few months until he sorted out a place of his own then I wouldn't think twice about it. But then maybe my definition of the word 'friend' isn't the same as yours?

Seriously, are Americans all really so fearful and conservative? I thought America was founded on ideals of freedom and adventure? Sounds to me like that's all dead and buried.

'In God We Trust'?.......I wonder if Mary would have found a place to stay in America on the night of 25th December - a friendly innkeeper - or if Jesus would have had to be born on the street instead - perhaps in a trash can, or in a cardboard box? :lol:
    How the fuck did this conversation become an "American" thing??
    Leave responsibility and fear with the Republicans, and leave the fun for the rest of us. :P

Because I can't see this type of drawn out discussion occurring between the Europeans on this board. But that's just my humble opinion.
    Byrnzie wrote:

Because I can't see this type of drawn out discussion occurring between the Europeans on this board. But that's just my humble opinion.

yes cause youre either american or european. :roll:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • beakbeak Posts: 148
    Byrnzie wrote:

Collect Welfare
    Mooch off his friends
    Mooch off his family

I'm with Speedy on this one. There's nothing wrong with helping friends and family and people SHOULD help their friends and family. However, if the person in the bad situation isn't taking any strides to better the situation and is taking advantage of systems and other people, they don't deserve to have anything thrown in their lap. They need to get popped in the jaw by life and learn to act like a responsible adult.
    www.NickBpt.com
  • Byrnzie wrote:

I dont care if the 25 year old adult is...

American
    European
    African
    Hispanic
    Or a trained Ape.....

Quitting your job to go to see Pearl Jam is just plain ignorant...

That is my humble opinion.....
    Byrnzie wrote:

American
    European
    African
    Hispanic
    Or a trained Ape.....

why is it ignorant???
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

• why is it ignorant???
    Ok...

I'll play...

You, on the other hand, think it is a wise decision?
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    [
    I also think the romantic notion of either after these shows, just getting on the greyhound and packing up and moving to a random place is exacting a pull on me as well. To just pack up and say "hey I need to move to a new place" and just move to a new city.

This was never just about the concert. Is the concert important? Hell yes. But is it the ONLY factor rolling around in my head? No!

Don't just pick a random place. Do some research. Think about what type of place you would like to live. I can tell you I live in a small town and don't like it much. They are over-romanticized - the idea of 'everyone looks out for everyone' is bullshit, and there's less choice in terms of culture, restaurants, medical care. I've done my best to 'bloom where I was planted' for 25 years, but you are young. If you feel that pull to go somewhere else, and have a little savings and reasonable work ability, its all going to be easier now than when you're older.

Everyone's giving you practical advice, and they are right - you need money for food and rent, and medical care. I've been practical and responsible most of my life (and have arranged my work life so I CAN travel to shows pretty much when I want) but I would find it suffocating to never be able to go anywhere. I don't really know what to tell you except good luck.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
    Byrnzie wrote:

American
    European
    African
    Hispanic
    Or a trained Ape.....

Then we agree to disagree my friend.

In the words of the Doctor Hunter S Thompson:

"We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer."
    Hunter S Thompsonv—"Extreme Behavior in Aspen," February 3, 2003

"We are witnessing the death of fun"
    Hunter S Thompson

why is it ignorant???
    Ok...

I'll play...

You, on the other hand, think it is a wise decision?

if, as you say, youre playing then answer my question.

it is not my place to say whether his decision is a wise one or not. tis hardly the worst decision a person can make now is it?? wisdom somehow implies logic and some of us have decided in a world increasingly devoid of heart to choose the road less travelled. or at least the road less admired and given worth.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

I don't speak for Antipodeans because I don't know enough of them, and I don't know enough about the place. :geek:

• if, as you say, youre playing then answer my question.

it is not my place to say whether his decision is a wise one or not. tis hardly the worst decision a person can make now is it?? wisdom somehow implies logic and some of us have decided in a world increasingly devoid of heart to choose the road less travelled. or at least the road less admired and given worth.
    Quitting your job, to go see 2 pearl jam shows, then waking up the next morning realizing you are broke, unemployed, and not knowing how long it will take you to find another job is ignorant. Putting yourself into a position of financial ruin, to go see pearl jam is ignorant. Not knowing how you will pay your rent, because you spent what little savings you have on going to see pearl jam is ignorant.

There I answered the question....
    realizing you are broke, unemployed

Putting yourself into a position of financial ruin

Not knowing how you will pay your rent

Shit man, you're making me afraid to ever go to another Pearl Jam show again. :shock:

;)
    Byrnzie wrote:

I don't speak for Antipodeans because I don't know enough of them, and I don't know enough about the place. :geek:

total nerdling... using the 'a' word. :P :mrgreen:

back in the 80s we had a prime minister who on national television told the entire population that any boss who sacks an employee who doesnt come in on the day 'we' won the americas cup is a bum. he may well have had a couple of beers under his belt when he said it too. so the thought of quitting a job to go see a band isnt a foreign concept to us. though we are more likely to chuck a sickie. :mrgreen:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Byrnzie wrote:

Shit man, you're making me afraid to ever go to another Pearl Jam show again. :shock:

;)
    hehehehehe..............

Cmon Byrnzie!!!!

You cant tell me YOU would spend the last of your savings......
    With the chance of putting your life into a complete free-fall.....

all for a rock concert......

YOU WOULDNT DO IT!!!!!!!!!
    Byrnzie wrote:

;)
    hehehehehe..............

Cmon Byrnzie!!!!

You cant tell me YOU would spend the last of your savings......
    With the chance of putting your life into a complete free-fall.....

all for a rock concert......

YOU WOULDNT DO IT!!!!!!!!!

Well, of course I wouldn't put ALL of my savings into it. I'd make sure that I had some money left for beer. :P

if, as you say, youre playing then answer my question.

Quitting your job, to go see 2 pearl jam shows, then waking up the next morning realizing you are broke, unemployed, and not knowing how long it will take you to find another job is ignorant. Putting yourself into a position of financial ruin, to go see pearl jam is ignorant. Not knowing how you will pay your rent, because you spent what little savings you have on going to see pearl jam is ignorant.

There I answered the question....

if he knows hell be broke, jobless and out on his proverbial ear then his decision isnt ignorant is it? cause he already knows what seeing pj will do to his immediate life. just cause its not the way you live your life doesnt make it ignorant. and quite frankly who gives a fuck how this guy lives his life so long as hes not hurting anybody.

say go see pj have a great time and when you come down from the euphoria, then worry about the rest. hmm but then again maybe im just being ignorant. though i prefer to see it as living a life and not giving a fuck.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    edited September 2009
    O.k, o.k, so I'm on a HST roll now:

"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself: who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?"
    — Hunter S. Thompson

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."
    — Hunter S. Thompson

"Every now and then when your life gets complicated and the weasels start closing in, the only cure is to load up on heinous chemicals and then drive like a bastard from Hollywood to Las Vegas ... with the music at top volume and at least a pint of ether."
    — Hunter S. Thompson (Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas)

"Freedom is something that dies unless it's used."
    — Hunter S. Thompson
    Post edited by Byrnzie on
  • JaneNY wrote:
    [
    I also think the romantic notion of either after these shows, just getting on the greyhound and packing up and moving to a random place is exacting a pull on me as well. To just pack up and say "hey I need to move to a new place" and just move to a new city.

This was never just about the concert. Is the concert important? Hell yes. But is it the ONLY factor rolling around in my head? No!

Don't just pick a random place. Do some research. Think about what type of place you would like to live. I can tell you I live in a small town and don't like it much. They are over-romanticized - the idea of 'everyone looks out for everyone' is bullshit, and there's less choice in terms of culture, restaurants, medical care. I've done my best to 'bloom where I was planted' for 25 years, but you are young. If you feel that pull to go somewhere else, and have a little savings and reasonable work ability, its all going to be easier now than when you're older.

Everyone's giving you practical advice, and they are right - you need money for food and rent, and medical care. I've been practical and responsible most of my life (and have arranged my work life so I CAN travel to shows pretty much when I want) but I would find it suffocating to never be able to go anywhere. I don't really know what to tell you except good luck.

What practical advice? Its alternated between hinting that I am a spoiled, idiot, and that people dont care what the hell I do.

People make decisions. You make decisions every day. Some decisions you make I wouldnt agree with, but I dont think I am going to say you are spoiled for making them.

Ultimately, I have noticed the feeling of being restless in your twenties, of not being satisfied, of feeling lost and helpless, is something millions of people go through. I am not unique and I know this.

But reading the responses from you all, sure make it sound like I am some odd freak. And I think thats rude and dishonest frankly.
This discussion has been closed.