AL Central

124»

Comments

• imalive wrote:
    Did the Twins win that game or did the Tigers lose it?? :? :?

It's OK. Look on the bright side: Miguel Cabrera has more time now to get drunk with the White Sox and fight his wife.
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    How many times did the Tigers have runners at 3rd with less than 2 out and failed to score, that is just poor hitting. Agreed a great game, the Twins deserve it they play fundamental baseball.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,972

It's OK. Look on the bright side: Miguel Cabrera has more time now to get drunk with the White Sox and fight his wife.

:lol::lol::lol: :shock:

Randy Marsh moves into the Denkinger Hall of Infamy. That guy called a shit game all night.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    That was amazing. I don't even care if the Twins get swept by the Yanks at this point. Just winning the central with this squad is incredible (give Gardy AL manager of the year right now). I honestly thought this team would lose 100 games two months ago. They have no starting rotation or infield and they take their division. Un-be-lieve-able.

Let this be a lesson to all you Kansas City's and Cleveland's and Pittsburgh's: you don't need a huge payroll and a roster of all-stars. Just play good fundamental baseball and anything is possible.

yeah, the m&m boys arent all stars :roll:

not that im saying the twins didnt deserve the win. but they didnt win against all odds... they had a helluva team and they won when it counted. i hope they do well in the playoffs. the tiger collapsed... here's hoping they pull their shit together before next season.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    That was amazing. I don't even care if the Twins get swept by the Yanks at this point. Just winning the central with this squad is incredible (give Gardy AL manager of the year right now). I honestly thought this team would lose 100 games two months ago. They have no starting rotation or infield and they take their division. Un-be-lieve-able.

Let this be a lesson to all you Kansas City's and Cleveland's and Pittsburgh's: you don't need a huge payroll and a roster of all-stars. Just play good fundamental baseball and anything is possible.

not that im saying the twins didnt deserve the win. but they didnt win against all odds... they had a helluva team and they won when it counted. i hope they do well in the playoffs. the tiger collapsed... here's hoping they pull their shit together before next season.

I wouldn't count on it, look at how many big contracts are on the books for next year, Ordonez 18m, Bonderman, Willis, Zumaya, those are just the one's I can think of. To me Pres/GM has to go, he's been there 5 - 6 years and how many of those players that are regulars who are home grown talent, he either has not drafted well or has traded the players away.

Probably won't happen. I don't expect Rondney or Polanco back next year.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    lukin2006 wrote:

I wouldn't count on it, look at how many big contracts are on the books for next year, Ordonez 18m, Bonderman, Willis, Zumaya, those are just the one's I can think of. To me Pres/GM has to go, he's been there 5 - 6 years and how many of those players that are regulars who are home grown talent, he either has not drafted well or has traded the players away.

i've got faith in dombrowski. i bet rodney and polanco stay, and i dont know how you can say magglio is a bad deal. he had a rough year, but he came round and he's going to be clutch. but you're right about bonderman and willis, they have a lot of dead weight that needs to go.
  • lukin2006 wrote:
    How many times did the Tigers have runners at 3rd with less than 2 out and failed to score, that is just poor hitting. Agreed a great game, the Twins deserve it they play fundamental baseball.

Both teams had opportunities. The Twins could have walked off twice before the 12th. That's what made it such a great game. You kind of expected that given the season tie.
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
  • That was amazing. I don't even care if the Twins get swept by the Yanks at this point. Just winning the central with this squad is incredible (give Gardy AL manager of the year right now). I honestly thought this team would lose 100 games two months ago. They have no starting rotation or infield and they take their division. Un-be-lieve-able.

When I say "roster of all-stars" that translates to "Angels/Red Sox/Yankees"

:-) :-) :-)
  • That was amazing. I don't even care if the Twins get swept by the Yanks at this point. Just winning the central with this squad is incredible (give Gardy AL manager of the year right now). I honestly thought this team would lose 100 games two months ago. They have no starting rotation or infield and they take their division. Un-be-lieve-able.

You also need competence in the front office. For example if you're Kansas City, why would you give a multi-year contract to reliever such as Kyle Farnsworth, trade one of your better pitching prospects for Yuniesky Betancourt.

I understand what Pittsburgh is attempting to do with their rash of trades. They're hoping to find that core from the numerous prospects they think they acquired.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • ArcticangelArcticangel Posts: 1,443

:mrgreen:

Yay.
    That is all.

Rocking my Mauer jersey today (MVP! MVP!)... bring on the Yankees...
    PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009
  • lukin2006 wrote:

In my estimation, Dombrowski has 2 big blunders. Extending Willis' contract before he even pitched and giving Nate Robertson that big of a contract.

Maggs' contract was to lure him here when nobody wanted to come to Detroit. Aside from the first half of the year when he struggled(his wife was very sick), hes been a very good player. Zumaya hopefully will be healthy next year but not a ton of $$ tied up on him. And Bonderman, well, that was a tough luck injury. Up to his contract signing, he was a very good pitcher. (and has a chance to come back and be the Tigers 4th or 5th starter in '10)
    I think Dombrowski should stay put. They just cant afford to keep a lineup with 4 or 5 bats that do NOTHING. I love Laird and Inge's defense and I think they should keep them. But add on top of them Everett, whoever is in LF for a game and half of your lineup doesnt hit. None of your good hitters can afford to slump....EVER! Cant have that.

That being said, Im heartbroken, but GO TIGERS 2010!!!!!!!
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
    In my estimation, Dombrowski has 2 big blunders. Extending Willis' contract before he even pitched and giving Nate Robertson that big of a contract.

Maggs' contract was to lure him here when nobody wanted to come to Detroit. Aside from the first half of the year when he struggled(his wife was very sick), hes been a very good player. Zumaya hopefully will be healthy next year but not a ton of $$ tied up on him. And Bonderman, well, that was a tough luck injury. Up to his contract signing, he was a very good pitcher. (and has a chance to come back and be the Tigers 4th or 5th starter in '10)
    I think Dombrowski should stay put. They just cant afford to keep a lineup with 4 or 5 bats that do NOTHING. I love Laird and Inge's defense and I think they should keep them. But add on top of them Everett, whoever is in LF for a game and half of your lineup doesnt hit. None of your good hitters can afford to slump....EVER! Cant have that.

No doubt, he's made some blunders. But I like his willingness to do what it takes to get them to win, and he wins more than he loses... especially with Jackson and Cabrera and Maggs (who I knew wasn't going to slump forever).

That said, they do need to cut people loose. Willis' extension was a joke and they can't even trade him. The guy may never pitch again realistically. Robertson is also inflated. I'd ditch Zumaya... sure he's impressive, but everyone can hit him now when he just throws a 102 line drive down the middle. Plus, when has he ever been healthy for more than a month? Ditch him... Seay, Lyon, and Rodney more than have it covered, and Miner aside, the rest of the bullpen looked pretty fine to me.

But there are a lot of questions... you make a good point on left field. Raburn is a joke in left... I never even HEARD of a fielder getting TWO errors on the same hit until I saw him do it. Hopefully Guillen can be healthy and stay put there. Also... Huff AND Thames? Who needs two DH's? I know injuries happen, but I still feel like this team did too much of the musical chairs defense. The good news is the infield looks solid, assuming they can keep Polanco. And Magglio (as I knew) was back on track by the end. If he and Guillen can hit the ground running next season (Granderson too for that matter), that'll give Cabrera the protection to get some more consistent offense next year.

I really think in some sense they just have too many options and need to shed some duplicative players and nail down left field. Add to that the hope that Bonderman can recover and you have one helluva starting rotation... this year was a bummer of an ending, but they could be a helluva lot stronger next year, and that's exciting. They honestly were only ever running away with the central because nobody else seemed to want it until Minnesota suddenly got their shit together at the end. Maybe it's too early given the playoffs just started... but I'm already looking forward to spring training!
  • In my estimation, Dombrowski has 2 big blunders. Extending Willis' contract before he even pitched and giving Nate Robertson that big of a contract.

No doubt, he's made some blunders. But I like his willingness to do what it takes to get them to win, and he wins more than he loses... especially with Jackson and Cabrera and Maggs (who I knew wasn't going to slump forever).

That said, they do need to cut people loose. Willis' extension was a joke and they can't even trade him. The guy may never pitch again realistically. Robertson is also inflated. I'd ditch Zumaya... sure he's impressive, but everyone can hit him now when he just throws a 102 line drive down the middle. Plus, when has he ever been healthy for more than a month? Ditch him... Seay, Lyon, and Rodney more than have it covered, and Miner aside, the rest of the bullpen looked pretty fine to me.

But there are a lot of questions... you make a good point on left field. Raburn is a joke in left... I never even HEARD of a fielder getting TWO errors on the same hit until I saw him do it. Hopefully Guillen can be healthy and stay put there. Also... Huff AND Thames? Who needs two DH's? I know injuries happen, but I still feel like this team did too much of the musical chairs defense. The good news is the infield looks solid, assuming they can keep Polanco. And Magglio (as I knew) was back on track by the end. If he and Guillen can hit the ground running next season (Granderson too for that matter), that'll give Cabrera the protection to get some more consistent offense next year.

I really think in some sense they just have too many options and need to shed some duplicative players and nail down left field. Add to that the hope that Bonderman can recover and you have one helluva starting rotation... this year was a bummer of an ending, but they could be a helluva lot stronger next year, and that's exciting. They honestly were only ever running away with the central because nobody else seemed to want it until Minnesota suddenly got their shit together at the end. Maybe it's too early given the playoffs just started... but I'm already looking forward to spring training!

Well with Zumaya, I dont know his contract off hand. If its a value contract, then we might as well keep him for his potential.

As for LF, I really hope we go out and get a free agent if able. Thames wont be a Tiger next year and more than likely, Guillen will DH (which is where I think he should be). On sports talk radio today, they threw out Carl Crawford as someone who may be available. He'll cost alot of $$ and Im not sure if Ilitch will want to pay for another huge contract, but man would that be nice!!! I believe Tampa can pick up his option but dont know if they will.

Im already trying to decide what type of season ticket package I should get. What a sucker. :mrgreen:
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
    Well with Zumaya, I dont know his contract off hand. If its a value contract, then we might as well keep him for his potential.

As for LF, I really hope we go out and get a free agent if able. Thames wont be a Tiger next year and more than likely, Guillen will DH (which is where I think he should be). On sports talk radio today, they threw out Carl Crawford as someone who may be available. He'll cost alot of $$ and Im not sure if Ilitch will want to pay for another huge contract, but man would that be nice!!! I believe Tampa can pick up his option but dont know if they will.

Im already trying to decide what type of season ticket package I should get. What a sucker. :mrgreen:

if they ditch thames and huff and move guillen to DH, that puts magglio in right which means clete thomas could play full time in left. he has a lot of promise. and i'm willing to even give raburn another chance if he can get his fielding in order by next season. even though his error cost them in that game, he sure as hell has a cannon on that arm. he just needs to accept that he's not granderson and can't try to make diving web gem catches out there. play the balls safe and keep them in front of you.

i wish i could get a ticket package, but i'm stuck in cleveland. whenever the boys come to town though, i'll be there ;)
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    Tiger baseball starting back up!! Yay!
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • ArcticangelArcticangel Posts: 1,443
    Can't wait to see some games at the new Twins Stadium!!! Pearl Jam... ahem.. Target Field.
    PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009
  • Can't wait to see some games at the new Twins Stadium!!! Pearl Jam... ahem.. Target Field.

Your Twins are in trouble without that awful dome this year. Time to play some real baseball....
    Can't wait to see some games at the new Twins Stadium!!! Pearl Jam... ahem.. Target Field.

I'm being completely serious here- that last game against the Twins almost broke me as a person. I like went into seclusion for like two months. I don't think I'll ever be over it, but I'm starting to be able to talk about it, which is, as they tell me, the first step toward recovery...
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Can't wait to see some games at the new Twins Stadium!!!

who's briliant idea was it to build an open air stadium in Minnesota? It's gonna be like 5 degree's if they were to ever play in a WS up there.
    :lol:

anyways, i think the Sox are gonna be tough this year. Tigers should challenge as well. Twins could be right there. the rest will suck.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Here we go folks!
    Verlander vs. Greinke in an opening day showdown!

Go Tigers!
    milarso wrote:

I'm being completely serious here- that last game against the Twins almost broke me as a person. I like went into seclusion for like two months. I don't think I'll ever be over it, but I'm starting to be able to talk about it, which is, as they tell me, the first step toward recovery...

And now I'm having a relapse...