AL Central

milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
edited June 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Is there any doubt that this is the most pathetic excuse for a professional baseball division this season?
Don't get me wrong, I'll be stoked if the Tigers make the playoffs, but this division is just flat out terrible.
One guy in the Detroit media is calling for Selig to not even allow the division to be represented in the playoffs, and just go with two Wild cards :lol:
"The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    The NL central is really no better. Take away the Cardinals and you've pretty much got a mirror of the AL Central: 5 crappy and/or underachieving teams.

Cubs = Tigers
    Astros/Brewers = Sox/Twins
    Reds = Indians
    Pirates = Royals

No way in hell the wild card is coming out of that division.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,825
    milarso wrote:
    Is there any doubt that this is the most pathetic excuse for a professional baseball division this season?
    Don't get me wrong, I'll be stoked if the Tigers make the playoffs, but this division is just flat out terrible.
    One guy in the Detroit media is calling for Selig to not even allow the division to be represented in the playoffs, and just go with two Wild cards :lol:

It's been pretty fucking terrible. It's a sad excuse for a division. The Tigers have had a pretty solid season, but not one that makes you think they would make some noise in the playoffs. But you never know, right?? Just ask the 06 Cards who won what?? 83 games during the regular season?

As a White Sox fan, this has been such a frustrating season. Their inability to do the little things that good baseball teams do has driven me up a fucking wall. I can barely watch anymore because I know something bad is going to happen and they will lose.

Had to change my avatar to the Bears...its football season in Chicago now!
  • IwasBit10IwasBit10 Posts: 646
    milarso wrote:

It's been pretty fucking terrible. It's a sad excuse for a division. The Tigers have had a pretty solid season, but not one that makes you think they would make some noise in the playoffs. But you never know, right?? Just ask the 06 Cards who won what?? 83 games during the regular season?

As a White Sox fan, this has been such a frustrating season. Their inability to do the little things that good baseball teams do has driven me up a fucking wall. I can barely watch anymore because I know something bad is going to happen and they will lose.

Had to change my avatar to the Bears...its football season in Chicago now!

Completely agree with everything you said. Everything.

I'll never forget watching the the 83-win Cards win the 06 World Series while the 90-win(defending champion, hehe ;) ) White Sox stayed home for the playoffs.
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    milarso wrote:

The Tigers have been good, but they've been pretty bad at times too. All season long there is a radio guy in Detroit that says the Tigers are "A first place team with last place problems."
    And it's true, they've had great outings from Verlander, Jackson and Porcello all year, and now with J. Washburn, may get a bit better, but the five spot in the rotation has been in limbo all season.
    They have been up and down hitting all year, Magglio is just starting to show up (seriously. it took him until august to start swinging his big bat).
    And the team has been horrible HORRIBLE on the road (before winning a series in LA yesterday, they had lost their previous 11 road series).
    I like the Washburn pickup to shore up the rotation and adding Aubrey Huff helps the lineup with another lefty bat. Like you said, you never know what can happen if you sneak in to the playoffs.
    But in any other division, the Tigers would be middle of the road at best.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,825
    milarso wrote:
    milarso wrote:

The Tigers have been good, but they've been pretty bad at times too. All season long there is a radio guy in Detroit that says the Tigers are "A first place team with last place problems."
    And it's true, they've had great outings from Verlander, Jackson and Porcello all year, and now with J. Washburn, may get a bit better, but the five spot in the rotation has been in limbo all season.
    They have been up and down hitting all year, Magglio is just starting to show up (seriously. it took him until august to start swinging his big bat).
    And the team has been horrible HORRIBLE on the road (before winning a series in LA yesterday, they had lost their previous 11 road series).
    I like the Washburn pickup to shore up the rotation and adding Aubrey Huff helps the lineup with another lefty bat. Like you said, you never know what can happen if you sneak in to the playoffs.
    But in any other division, the Tigers would be middle of the road at best.

Yeah, same thing for the Sox. They have shown some flashes of being a good team, but it has mostly been a team that appears not capable of playing good, fundamental baseball. I cant even count how many time theyve stranded runners on 3rd base with less than 2 outs, cant get a bunt down, etc.... Hawk Harrelson, the Sox TV guy is constantly talking about how much talent this team has and how they havent been able to put it all together. He has a point beacuse when you look at their lineup 1-9, its pretty scary. But for some reason, its just not working. I'm not expecting anything from this team the rest of the season. I'd much rather lose the division to the Tigers than the Twins. That makes it hurt a little bit less.
  • I listen to the same sports talk as the OP. :D

All I care about is the Tigers getting into the playoffs. The pitching is good and the bullpen has really been coming around. And the bats are FINALLY starting to wake up. (I can wear my Maggs shirt again! :o )

But yes, the division is very weak. In the playoffs though, anything can happen. See the 06 Cardinals :evil:

Regardless, pennant races are great whether your teams is in the best or worst division. Go Tigers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • mini_tbmini_tb Posts: 420
    I'm a Twins fan... It's unbelievable that a team as flawed as the Twins can even be close to the top of a division. Outside of Span, Mauer, Morneau, Kubel, and Cuddyer, the lineup is pretty much a black hole, and Scott Baker is the only starter who can get anyone out (for the most part). As bad as this team has played, they are still legitimately in contention because neither the Tigers nor the Sox are a whole hell of a lot better. I've been saying that the least bad team wins this division this year.
    Glorified version of a pelican
  • oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
    Go Royals :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yep, I'm a homer. Will always love this MLB team that is an over paid minor league team.

And, yes the division does suck which makes the Royals record even worse than it is. If we avoid 100 losses I'll be the most surprised person on the face of this earth. :cry:
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green
    Tigers win in extra innings to complete a sweep of the tribe.
    Now if we can just get those pesky Twins to choke some more like they did yesterday, we'd be in business!
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    I wish the Jays were in the AL Central

the AL East is non-winnable unless you spend $200 million
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    smarchee wrote:

Could there be a worse job in pro baseball then being in the Yankees' farm club?
    You basically know that when a spot comes open, the big club is just going to buy a free agent to fill it.
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    milarso wrote:
    smarchee wrote:

Could there be a worse job in pro baseball then being in the Yankees' farm club?
    You basically know that when a spot comes open, the big club is just going to buy a free agent to fill it.

I don't know, they seem to be more apt to give a youngster a shot than they were 10 years or even 5, but yeah, if it looks like your position is blocked by a free agent, prepare to be moved to a non-contender
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • milarso wrote:
    Now if we can just get those pesky Twins to choke some more like they did yesterday, we'd be in business!

Ahem.
    (you were waiting for me to show up, weren't you...)

I just can't wait to watch the Twins sweep you guys in the Dome in a couple weeks. It's going to be a goooood weekend.
    We'll talk more then.
    xoxo
    PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009
  • Remember a couple of years ago when the AL Central was the best division?

What a difference a few years can make..
  • Remember a couple of years ago when the AL Central was the best division?

What a difference a few years can make..

Remember when the Sox/Twins threads were absolute warzones? You had to bring it hard back then....
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
    milarso wrote:

Ahem.

I just can't wait to watch the Twins sweep you guys in the Dome in a couple weeks. It's going to be a goooood weekend.
    We'll talk more then.
    xoxo

As long as Joe Nathan keeps having those three run ninth innings, I'll be more than happy :lol:
  • milarso wrote:
    milarso wrote:

Ahem.

We'll talk more then.
    xoxo

As long as Joe Nathan keeps having those three run ninth innings, I'll be more than happy :lol:

Ouch.
    That one was below the belt..
    PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009

Ahem.

We'll talk more then.
    xoxo

Twinkies lose to the Indians, Tigers up 4-1 in the ninth to Tampa Bay.
    If Detroit wins, they go up six games on Minn.
    If the Twins keep playing like they have been, Detroit can get swept in the Dome and it won't even matter :lol: .

All kidding aside, last series of the Tigers' season will be against Minnesota in Detroit. Could be really, really interesting.
  • Ahem.
    My how a couple weeks changes things... ;) Still think that a sweep today isn't going to matter?
    If the Tigers don't want the division, we'll take it!

Ahem.
    My how a couple weeks changes things... ;) Still think that a sweep today isn't going to matter?
    If the Tigers don't want the division, we'll take it!

How did I know you'd be on here...
    I still think the Tigers will pull it out, but man, what a collapse!

Can't lose to teams like Toronto and KC and expect to win the division.
    I have tickets to the Game 1 of the final series against Minnesota. Like I said, could get really interesting!
  • Well.. you can't win them all I suppose. I went to the first two games of the series and might catch one the last weekend at the dome..
    You're right, it could get interested indeed.

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    I need to order the baseball package from my cable company, though maybe it's best I haven't been able to watch these last few Tigers games. Glad to see they avoided the sweep against Minn, they badly needed that. A few more tough road games (it's ridiculous how uneven the Tigers home-away stats are), then they get to close out at home against the Twins and Sox. They can still hang onto this. Those 4 games against Minn could be tense!
    Heading down to Comerica to drink and watch the Tigers clinch!!
  • ArcticangelArcticangel Posts: 1,443
    Goal: Don't let the Tigers celebrate in front of us. If you guys want it, win it this weekend.

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Goal: Don't let the Tigers celebrate in front of us. If you guys want it, win it this weekend.

Goal: a nice big party on Comerica's infield while the dejected Twins watch their playoff hopes disappear :)
  • Hoping the Tigers close it out today. I'd love to see them celebrate in front of the Twins.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    The tigers need to close this out real quick preferably today, then they can set the rotation against the yanks...Verlander - game 1...Jackson - Game 2...Porcello - Game 3, its probably the only way we win is if we can get our rotation set.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • I was there today and last night. Sucks that we didnt finish them off today.

Oh well, it will be great to celebrate in front of that asshat Ozzie Guillen this weekend.

Also, I used to just be annoyed by the twins, but Im really starting to hate them. Just go away already!!!!!!

GO TIGERS!!!!! and go Royals this weekend
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    This is getting frustrated. Go Tigers! Should have pulled it out today though :(
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • ArcticangelArcticangel Posts: 1,443
    Alright! Just like I said!
    Coming down to the wire here... I just honestly hope we can wrap it up without going into a playoff... Twinkies gotta have it at home (we earned it!) and that stupid Packer/Viking game on Monday night...ugh.
    I'll probably be at the game at the Dome on Saturday... one more time!!