Options

What's with the fucking yeah yeah yeahs?

Comments

• Options
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    Can anyone hear Mankind?!?!
    Absolutely. Heard it the first time around.
    ...........MemorieslikestatuesthroughthemIdriveliketreesonthesidesidewalksmoretreesevenstopsignS
  • Options
    halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    Is Eddie inspired now by The Beatles? Yeah, yeah, yeah...

I am tired. Got Some lyrics are not so good like in formers songs before Backspacer.
    The Fixer is awful lirycally. How this can be Jeff said this album has the best PJ lyrics? i hope other songs would be better. In this case Jeff should say - "the best besides these two songs".

Ed - please, man, try to write something better. Or if You can't no longer - i will be more appreciate listening Your "mmmmmm".

Pearl Jam - You just can not fly lower now, than You did in past - we are here because we like the sky, not roofs. You took us there.
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    halszka123 wrote:

I am tired. Got Some lyrics are not so good like in formers songs before Backspacer.
    The Fixer is awful lirycally. How this can be Jeff said this album has the best PJ lyrics? i hope other songs would be better. In this case Jeff should say - "the best besides these two songs".

Ed - please, man, try to write something better. Or if You can't no longer - i will be more appreciate listening Your "mmmmmm".

Pearl Jam - You just can not fly lower now, than You did in past - we are here because we like the sky, not roofs. You took us there.

I disagree...everything I've heard sounds much better than most songs on Riot Act and Self-Titled IMO. This sounds like a fun little album!
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    doompony wrote:
    yeah i've had maps stuck in my head since i mistakenly thought this thread was going to be about the YYYs...
    hahaha... i thought the entire thread was about the yeah yeah yeahs til i saw this post...

wow, guess i'm up too early.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    DS114969 wrote:
    halszka123 wrote:

I disagree...everything I've heard sounds much better than most songs on Riot Act and Self-Titled IMO. This sounds like a fun little album!
    I am not talking about the all songs I could hear from the newest album. I think Speed of sound, The end are good, they seem to be good, Got some- I like it too.
    Just the Fixer is... ruining my opinion about the new stuff.
    (Riot Act? We have different taste inmusic, for sure;))
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    halszka123 wrote:

The lyrics for supersonic are amazing, u kidding? Sure they're not deep but its fun and the lyrics flow flawlessly with the song.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    halszka123 wrote:

Have you not heard Speed of Sound and The End? Amazing lyrics.

Nothing wrong with the lyrics to The Fixer - they suit the song's upbeat nature perfectly.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,608
    halszka123 wrote:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but Dude... at least wait until the album is out before you make your judgment.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    halszka123 wrote:

Nothing wrong with the lyrics to The Fixer - they suit the song's upbeat nature perfectly.
    facepollution - I have heard, You know it. That's why I didn't mention it.
    Do I have to everytime write about good sides when i want to share my objections about some things?
    This is me, helo! I wouldn't be here if I'd think the worst about The Band. I am not a masochist.
    I listen PJ for years and i really love Their music, but it doesn't mean I will be always happy for whatever The Band will do.
    There was a time I tried to show my fondness to PJ with "stupid" topics here. Some of You make me shut up. So - let me say - my appreciation for PJ is showed by my presence on this forum. Criticism is only a small drop in the ocean of fellings I have for PJ.

And once again, like always - sorry for my english. Who wants to understand me, I am sure, he will.
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,789
    halszka123 wrote:

Speed of Sound has some great lyrics. It's probably because Eddie is a folk hero now instead of a grunge god. But The Fixer lyrics are pretty cheesy.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Speed of Sound has some great lyrics. It's probably because Eddie is a folk hero now instead of a grunge god. But The Fixer lyrics are pretty cheesy.

I think you have to look at them within the framework of the song and the message they are wanting to put out. Kind of like how REM put out songs like Stand and Shiny Happy People - they're supposed to be fun songs, and as such, that gives them freedom to write goofy upbeat lyrics. As soon as you can get over the light-hearted lyrics, it's a lot easier to enjoy the songs.

I think Ed and the band are just showing more sides of their personalities through their writing. Kind of like trying on different outfits, hard rock, punk, 'grunge', pop, folk - the diversity they display is truly impressive to me, and I've slowly come round to enjoying all of their many styles over the years.
  • Options
    DeckDeck Posts: 76
    ^ = win. best post in this thread.

all rise.
    11/22/93 Little Rock
    07/02/98 St. Louis
    10/12/00 Kansas City
    06/20/09 Memphis (EV)
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,260

I think you have to look at them within the framework of the song and the message they are wanting to put out. Kind of like how REM put out songs like Stand and Shiny Happy People - they're supposed to be fun songs, and as such, that gives them freedom to write goofy upbeat lyrics. As soon as you can get over the light-hearted lyrics, it's a lot easier to enjoy the songs.

I think Ed and the band are just showing more sides of their personalities through their writing. Kind of like trying on different outfits, hard rock, punk, 'grunge', pop, folk - the diversity they display is truly impressive to me, and I've slowly come round to enjoying all of their many styles over the years.

Nicely put.

The lyrics overall are quite different from the last few albums. It seems Ed has tried to be less specific with his phrasing, using general themes for his writing instead of writing lyrcics about a particular circumstance. I love both types myself, depending on the song. The lyrics here are sound like theyve come from his ITW experience. Jeff himself has said that i think.

Different writing perspective, different structure, more vague & oblique. I like it. Its a new direction for PJ, and i love it.

I wonder if any of the new songs have his classic storytelling lyrics? none of the ones ive heard do.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762

Winner, winner.

And, as I've mentioned far too often on this board already, the Fixer lyric "fight to get it back again" is sneaky good.

It might sound like a throwaway line off the top of Ed's head, but it isn't.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Winner, winner.

And, as I've mentioned far too often on this board already, the Fixer lyric "fight to get it back again" is sneaky good.

It might sound like a throwaway line off the top of Ed's head, but it isn't.

Most definitely. I had a perfect birds eye view of the pit at the SBE show, and the singalong and fist pumping for that line was really impressive, it certainly felt like it meant something. That's why it pisses me off when people dismiss pop songs, the message might be simple, but it can still have a powerful meaning.
  • Options
    i'm sorry for pissing You off
    ;)
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    halszka123 wrote:
    i'm sorry for pissing You off
    ;)

Ha ha, I think it's good for people to try and see things from different perspectives. Believe me, I've spent a lot of time in the past feeling let down because PJ's new record didn't fit what I wanted or expected at the time. Having been lucky enough to see the band live 5 times in the last 3 years I came to realise that just because the new music might not sound like the old Pearl Jam, it doesn't mean that those older songs are gone and forgotten. They're all very much alive (pun intended ;) ), and that kind of changed the way I approached the newer stuff. For example I don't need to compare Ed's newer lyrics to older songs because the key to good song writing, and life in general, for that matter, is to push forward and try new things. Some songs or experiences might be better than others, but as long as you enjoy the journey it's all good :D
  • Options
    facepollution- ok, ok, ok. I would like to say all my complaining becomes from my nature, but it's worthless and not true. Flat.
    Ok. maybe You are right (again). Maybe i will change my opinion. But now I feel disappointed.
    It will be better for me and for the pit i won't say my opinions for a while. I am rather spontaneus, but who cares and why my temporal thoughts have to shit the board?
    So it is not easy for me, but I will try to not post, only read topics. (And THIS is against my nature)
    :D
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    halszka123 wrote:
    facepollution- ok, ok, ok. I would like to say all my complaining becomes from my nature, but it's worthless and not true. Flat.
    Ok. maybe You are right (again). Maybe i will change my opinion. But now I feel disappointed.
    It will be better for me and for the pit i won't say my opinions for a while. I am rather spontaneus, but who cares and why my temporal thoughts have to shit the board?
    So it is not easy for me, but I will try to not post, only read topics. (And THIS is against my nature)

Don't censor yourself on my account :? :shock:

I was just pointing out that sometimes it's worth looking at the bigger picture - and if you think about it, it's in your interest to do that since you want to like the new songs.
  • Options
    halszka123 wrote:

Don't censor yourself on my account :? :shock:

I was just pointing out that sometimes it's worth looking at the bigger picture - and if you think about it, it's in your interest to do that since you want to like the new songs.
    I don't do it. Just i think You were right because i felt touched by Your words. It doesn't depends on You, don't feel sorry or sth like this.
    I just admit now I was in hurry to show my emotions bout the song.
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    halszka123 wrote:
    I don't do it. Just i think You were right because i felt touched by Your words. It doesn't depends on You, don't feel sorry or sth like this.
    I just admit now I was in hurry to show my emotions bout the song.

Fair enough. Sometimes I gain new appreciation for songs when I hear them in the context of the record rather than as singles - I'm confident this is going to be a brilliant record, just you wait and see :lol::mrgreen:
  • Options
    I am sure it will be great. Because every time they are.
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    CalumCalum Posts: 635
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    Yes yes yes.

Write some lyrics instead of yeah yeah yeahs....

I'm going to take a shot in the dark & guess you haven't heard either 'The End' or 'Speed of Sound'?

Two of the greatest songs (lyrically) I have heard from PJ. I look forward to finding out who wrote the lyrics/music from the album booklet.
    London Astoria - Dublin - Wembley - Shepherds Bush - London 02
  • Options
    ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Calum wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    Yes yes yes.

I'm going to take a shot in the dark & guess you haven't heard either 'The End' or 'Speed of Sound'?

Two of the greatest songs (lyrically) I have heard from PJ. I look forward to finding out who wrote the lyrics/music from the album booklet.

No I haven't.....I didn't even want to hear Supersonic but I caved in. Wish I hadn't now.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Options
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    Calum wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    Yes yes yes.

No I haven't.....I didn't even want to hear Supersonic but I caved in. Wish I hadn't now.
    i have a feeling Fixer and Supersonic are gonna be the worst songs on the album (to me). i'm much more excited about the rest of the album. except Johnny Guitar
  • Options
    OGT92OGT92 Posts: 1,588
    Damn, I want to hear this song. I was hoping to get the single over the weekend, but I think my post man took it. Guess I must wait. Hopefully tomorrow.
    "I read about the evils of drinking, so I gave up reading." - Henry Youngman
  • Options
    MrSmith wrote:

i have a feeling Fixer and Supersonic are gonna be the worst songs on the album (to me). i'm much more excited about the rest of the album. except Johnny Guitar

I hope they are the worst songs on the album for me too......I really do.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Options
    RL200920RL200920 Posts: 67
    Stop bitching about everything.
  • Options
    RL200920 wrote:
    Stop bitching about everything.
    Tear.jpg
  • Options