What's with the fucking yeah yeah yeahs?

Comments

• ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328

for me, albums and songs are constant bouncing from favorable to less favorable depending on mood, state of mind, what's going on in my life.. applying numbers to them would be meaningless.

I never said the ratings were permanent and unchangeable.......my ratings change all the time.

My ratings generally don't change from day to day or from hour to hour or mood to mood......but songs I didn't like as much years ago I find I like more now.....and vice versa.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    Am I the only who thinks people are waaay over-analyzing the new music???

I mean, its just music. It's all subjective. We relate the yeah' yeah's to pop because of why? Ed stated he wanted to used his voice more as an instrument rather than lyrics.

I wonder if people are really stressing about the new album.. I mean come on, since when did real music and art lovers start using a rating system? Just because its pop and catchy does not mean it can't be creative. There's plenty of pop artists who truly are artists creating amazing music that is very accesive and well recieved.

This isn't a contest. It's not about ratings and numbers.. take the songs for what they are or not. Apply them to your life or not.. It shouldn't be this complicated.

I've never understood complaining about music, unless you are forced to listen to it.

I will refuse to attempt to rate music ever again. I'll either apply it to my life, or not. It's not a contest. It's about feeling the sounds.. or not.

I think a lot of people (including myself) just see some of the new stuff as rather flat and one-dimensional. ...Clearly not all the songs!!

To me, the reason why I love PJ so much is the depth of their songs. They provide something that very few bands do anymore...substance. This is why I like PJ's mid to late-90s sound. They seemed like they were trying to come up with a sound, their own thing...lyrically and musically. An IMO it worked incredibly well.
    I do think this album will be ranked higher in the long run than say Avocado, or Riot Act (to me anyways), and aside from a few songs...I just feel like some other do and I believe it's called "meh". :lol:
  • Am I the only who thinks people are waaay over-analyzing the new music???

I mean, its just music. It's all subjective. We relate the yeah' yeah's to pop because of why? Ed stated he wanted to used his voice more as an instrument rather than lyrics.

I wonder if people are really stressing about the new album.. I mean come on, since when did real music and art lovers start using a rating system? Just because its pop and catchy does not mean it can't be creative. There's plenty of pop artists who truly are artists creating amazing music that is very accesive and well recieved.

This isn't a contest. It's not about ratings and numbers.. take the songs for what they are or not. Apply them to your life or not.. It shouldn't be this complicated.

I've never understood complaining about music, unless you are forced to listen to it.

I will refuse to attempt to rate music ever again. I'll either apply it to my life, or not. It's not a contest. It's about feeling the sounds.. or not.

best album
    best pj single
    top 5 desert island tracks
    etc etc
    people rate music alla the time. rating does get to be pointless when you get that good(ie-best geetar player hendrix or clapton) ummm hello! no best...

so people are rating music alla the time(high fidelity-great movie) and i think it's nice to have personal bests that can be broken...a new best song

its all about music and thats why no one is completely right/wrong. i am really digging the yeah yeah yeahs on the fixer...havent heard the new new one that inspired this thread but um yeah over analyzing music is still just someone else's opinion

in the grand scope of things i dont really care that much about other people's top 5, or what they don't like and what they like. sure it's fun to compare but the bottomline is my tastes are always better than yours cause well um my tastes are mine ;)

i loved your line about complaining about music unless you are forced to listen to it. i get that totally. personally i skip that bad news and focus on what is right. if i cant find anything that is right i just shut up(generally speaking)...but um where all here on the internet and um there's weird people everywhere, so ummm

i do get a laugh out of people who are always looking for 1992 to happen again. im here cause of every single "new last cd" that they have put out...i wouldn't cut any of it out cause i like it all equally cause it's all THAT GOOD

anyhoo just some random unorganized thoughts on nuttin...and not necessarily directed at u, other than to say tons of people overanalyze and make best lists...but to each their own i say and i always try to never take anyone's opinion on art to heart...cause it isn't mine in the first place, so who cares! lol

me i dig the sound of the new stuff
    especially the yeah yeah yeahs in the fixer
    i get what ed is saying...
    sometimes it should be that simple

and it's all just more of the same to me, as it always has been

same as it ever was
    ZiggyStar wrote:

for me, albums and songs are constant bouncing from favorable to less favorable depending on mood, state of mind, what's going on in my life.. applying numbers to them would be meaningless.

I never said the ratings were permanent and unchangeable.......my ratings change all the time.

My ratings generally don't change from day to day or from hour to hour or mood to mood......but songs I didn't like as much years ago I find I like more now.....and vice versa.

I'm the exact same way Ziggy.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    ZiggyStar wrote:

I understand that, but why even waste your time thinking about assigning the song a number?

I've rated albums and songs in the past, but the more I think about, the less point I see in doing it. Emotion doesn't have to be technical.
    I understand that, but why even waste your time thinking about assigning the song a number?

I've rated albums and songs in the past, but the more I think about, the less point I see in doing it. Emotion doesn't have to be technical.

I can see your point.

I've rated albums and songs in the past, but the more I think about, the less point I see in doing it.

Sure, it is quite silly to put songs in come categorical ranking. That said, we still do it all the time but without a numerical value.
    It's just called preference.

For example, if I'm rolling through the pre-sets on my radio and I have the following options:
    Led Zeppelin
    Linkin Park
    MGMT
    Muse

It's preference, and yes, we categorize and rank them on a conscious and unconscious level.
    I will certainly always pick Led Zep because in my mind... a) I prefer their music b) I think they one of if not my favorite rock bands c) the music offers sooo much more to me than any other of those options.

So, long story short...we all categorize every form of art whether it's music, physical art, food, poetry, etc.
    mca47 wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:

I'm the exact same way Ziggy.

Glad you agree, mca! :D
    mca47 wrote:

I think a lot of people (including myself) just see some of the new stuff as rather flat and one-dimensional. ...Clearly not all the songs!!

To me, the reason why I love PJ so much is the depth of their songs. They provide something that very few bands do anymore...substance. This is why I like PJ's mid to late-90s sound. They seemed like they were trying to come up with a sound, their own thing...lyrically and musically. An IMO it worked incredibly well.
    I do think this album will be ranked higher in the long run than say Avocado, or Riot Act (to me anyways), and aside from a few songs...I just feel like some other do and I believe it's called "meh". :lol:

Riot Act is their worst album imo....
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

Riot Act is their worst album imo....

Yeah, it's near the bottom for me too.
    mca47 wrote:

Yeah, it's near the bottom for me too.

What is your fav and what is your least fav?
    Echoes 001 wrote:
    This was the best I could do, a word here or there maybe different

Yeah yeah
    Yeah I've been dreaming a getting along
    Now I'm awake dreaming
    Keepin' on keepin' on
    I catch a break
    Then a punch to the head
    I smile back with a toothless grin yeah

Supersonic going into my soul
    I caught the rhythm but the gut was slow yeah
    Supersonic to be told
    I don't need you to live
    Never let you go yeah yeah
    Yeah yeah

Yeah I've been thinking
    I already know
    Nothing but nothing else so I have been told yeah
    I'm not the paper
    More like a fold
    I cut the crease
    Put the shit in the hole yeah

Supersonic going into my soul
    I caught the rhythm but the gut was slow yeah
    Supersonic to be told
    I don't need you to live

Supersonic gonna feel it now
    I need to hear it
    Need to feel it loud yeah
    Supersonic to be told
    I want to live my life with the volume full

Supersonic gonna take my soul
    I stop the rhythm but my gut was full yeah
    Supersonic to be told
    I don't need to you to live

Supersonic gonna feel it now
    I need to hear it
    Need to feel it loud yeah
    Supersonic to be told
    I want to live my life with the volume full yeah
    Yeah yeah yeah
    Yeah yeah yeah
    Yeah yeah yeah

I can see a lot of yeahs..... :? :lol:
    Okay, I got really stoned last night for the first time since I've heard Supersonic.....and I must say I liked it a WHOLE lot more than previously. 8-)

And the yeah yeah yeahs weren't quite as annoying....... :D But I still don't overly like them.....
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    Okay, I got really stoned last night for the first time since I've heard Supersonic.....and I must say I liked it a WHOLE lot more than previously. 8-)

And the yeah yeah yeahs weren't quite as annoying....... :D

weed cures all ;)

morning sunshine!! :D
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,320
    I love the Yeah Yeah Yeah's! :D:D:D

yyy.jpg

Karen O is a goddess!

treewrite.gif
    norm wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:

weed cures all ;)

Hey Norm! :D

I can still do without the yeah yeah yeahs at the end though..... ;)
    My rating has now gone up to a 3.5 out of 5

:lol:
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    norm wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:

weed cures all ;)

Hey Norm! :D

I can still do without the yeah yeah yeahs at the end though..... ;)

deal with it!!! :twisted: :ugeek:
  • Irish AlIrish Al Posts: 6,236
    Whats with the "do do do do do do do's" on black :lol:
    I need a coffee!
    ZiggyStar wrote:

what would you rate the weed?
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    I Finally realized what this thread was all about after listening to
    Supersonic at lunch time! I heard those yeah yeah yeah's and thought
    what??? Again?!!! and when I saw this thread a light bulb went off!!! 8-)

(thought it was about that group the yeah yeah yeahs or whatever)
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    Whats with the "oo ooo ooo ooo ooo ooo's" on Jeremy :lol:
    I need a coffee!
    Whats with the "Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo" In DTE :lol:

I think I've made my point....ITS WHAT EV DOES 8-)
    I need a coffee!
    norm wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:

4 out of 5 8-)
  • starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,925
    Rossum20 wrote:
    The difference is Supersonic rocks...The Fixer doesn't.

lol. every song, ever written by them rocks.
    sorry, you're wrong. :lol:
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    norm wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:

4 out of 5 8-)

coming from you that's high praise! :P :lol::mrgreen:
    Irish Al wrote:
    Whats with the "Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo" In DTE :lol:

I think I've made my point....ITS WHAT EV DOES 8-)

As I've said previously other grunts and yeahs and dooos etc work.....I personally don't feel those ones do and are just tacked on the end as filler.......
    norm wrote:

What's that supposed to mean, fucker! :twisted:
    Lizard wrote:
    I Finally realized what this thread was all about after listening to
    Supersonic at lunch time! I heard those yeah yeah yeah's and thought
    what??? Again?!!! and when I saw this thread a light bulb went off!!! 8-)

(thought it was about that group the yeah yeah yeahs or whatever)

THANK YOU! Exactly.....again? Just leave them off.....
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    norm wrote:

What's that supposed to mean, fucker! :twisted:

i just know what incredibly high standards you have...you saucy little bitch! ;) :P :mrgreen: