Options

My Solution For TenClub

SwantonSwanton Posts: 77
edited July 2009 in The Porch
I posted this in another thread, but I cut it down a bit. I did not get tickets to the Philly shows today and I'm bummed about that. I would have written the same post if I was fortunate enough to get tickets.

This method of ticket distribution is thoroughly unfair. You are limiting ticket sales to Ten Club members who can access a computer at a specific time. For people who work outside of an office setting or have other commitments, they are out of luck. That is unfortunate considering the core of the fanbase is now in their 30s and not exactly capable of sitting around the house waiting for the magic minute to strike.

Second, let me offer some helpful criticism to the members of the board who got tickets and are quite arrogant about. Please stop telling people, "You're complaining, tickets are still available, get rid of your dialup, and learn how to use a computer." STOP. I appreciate that you are happy you have tickets, but it's not like anyone who didn't get tickets is a complete idiot with fat fingers and a weak understanding of what Refresh means. The website crashes from so many people trying to sign on at once. It's not stupidity on our part. I'm sure there are many people like me that just wasted a good hour and a half clicking a mouse in the hopes to score tickets. You got lucky, congratulations. You're not a genius, and those people that were unfortunate to not get tickets are not idiots. Don't prance around the boards making fans feel like assholes. We should all be in this together.

Third, the "Temporarily Out of Stock" status is ridiculous. You either have seats left - or you don't. It just aggravates the people who continue to refresh in the hopes that the Buy button will show up. They should can that system.

Fourth, I signed in before the first Philly show and couldn't get tickets to that. I remained signed in and then attempted to get tickets to the second show. Once the icon appeared for the 10/30 show, I clicked on it and the first two times it said, "Tickets are not for sale." I refreshed and got the Buy button, clicked on it immediately and got an error message. After refreshing and waiting for two or three minutes - on my federal office high speed connection, mind you - I did the temporarily out of stock dance for the next hour with some Buy buttons appearing. Yet each time I clicked on Buy, I was told that I cannot buy because they are out of stock.

It's not a good system.

I understand I can still attempt to get tickets elsewhere, but the system for fans in the club should be better. It should be fair. My solution is this:

Fan club members wanting to attend the shows should submit their names, and should only be allowed to submit their names to one show. It's silly that some people in the fan club couldn't score seats to one show while others pulled tickets for both. That shouldn't happen.

The names should be entered into a lottery, and winners of the lottery are notified through email that they have 24 hours to confirm/buy the tickets. After that 24 hours is over, the next person in the lottery gets notified, and so on and so on.

This eliminates the luck of getting into the site before it crashes. It allows a more diverse group of fans to benefit from club membership. The singles and newsletter are nice, but most people are part of the club to get first shot at tickets. They should have a better chance than this. It also eliminates the crapshoot and frustration of trying to log into the website and feeling like a gambler at a slot machine.

And again, I'd say all of this if I did have tickets right now.
You will try.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    go back to postcards
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    I'd almost like to add a location restriction. It really cuts down on the ability for locals to see a show when some fan members follow the band around the country. They have high numbers usually and I see the SAME people in the front row. Over and over. It's frustrating.
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • Options
    also after succeeding in purchasing tickets, leave the forum for some hours, instead of posting threads about your success.
    WOOT!
  • Options
    SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    I've got my tickets to the shows that I wanted and I have been shut out in the past. The system is fine. Not everyone can get tickets, it's just the way it is. They have improved the hosting for the site. I notice a huge difference. You have to think about how many resources are you demanding from the ten club. They cant dump money at a problem and come out in the red just so the people complaining here could have got tickets too.

Bottom line, there are only so many tickets. Way more demand. Just the way it is. I feel the ten club has done everything that can within reason to improve the situation.
  • Options
    potnikpotnik Posts: 443
    Why make it a lottery, just do what they did for LA. Only allow folks to get tickets for one night in each city. Or go back to how it originally was when I first got tickets in '98, allow members to only get tickets to one show for the entire tour.

No system is perfect and you will have complaining no matter what they do. I think the LA tactic worked out alright although I am bummed that I know have to try and get tickets through TM for night 4 on Saturday.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Lizardjam wrote:
    I'd almost like to add a location restriction. It really cuts down on the ability for locals to see a show when some fan members follow the band around the country. They have high numbers usually and I see the SAME people in the front row. Over and over. It's frustrating.

I would agree with this if the tour was more then 4 cities and if they played the South and MidWest.
    Post edited by potnik on
  • Options
    Lizardjam wrote:

So....if you see the same people in the front row you must be pretty close yourself?

The system that is in place has always worked for me and I do believe in the seniority seating. I'm sorry it's frustrating to you and I agree that everyone should have a shot at being as close as they would like, hence the lottery system for rows 1-2 and 9-10. I hope you win that lottery to ease your frustrations.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    potnik wrote:
    Or go back to how it originally was when I first got tickets in '98, allow members to only get tickets to one show for the entire tour.
    the horror
    I agree with a limit in each city
    but I like being able to get 10c tix to more than one show
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,747
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    go back to postcards

:lol:
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    I thought about the location restriction but I think that is unfair as well. Then you are only limiting it to Ten Club members in a small group of cities. And you'd have to specify the radius around each city, which would be a nightmare.

Again, I know everyone cannot get tickets to each show. But this system really funnels a select few to tickets. The lottery would make it more fair so the same people do not get tickets all the time. Why should a member that has a class, job, family commitment - or heavens - a medical issue at 5PM EST today be shut out from the chance to buy tickets?

And that is not mentioning the likely thousands of people who attempted to jump into the site to purchase tickets when they went on sale. The people who post here are a small percentage of the actual membership. If I applied to the lottery and didn't get in, I could live with that.

Being stressed and constantly teased by the Buy button and error messages is not good.
    You will try.
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    potnik wrote:
    Or go back to how it originally was when I first got tickets in '98, allow members to only get tickets to one show for the entire tour.
    the horror
    I agree with a limit in each city
    but I like being able to get 10c tix to more than one show

I completely agree with you, that is why I then said no system is perfect and people will complain no matter what it is.

I prefer how LA was done, if they did that for each city it might ease up on some of the complaining. I haven't heard anyone complain about getting shut out of LA
  • Options
    WELL I WAS SUPER STOKED TO GET MY PHILLY TIX TO SHOW #1 BUT SUPER BUMMED TO GET SHUT OUT OF SHOW #2... TICKETPRICKSTER HERE I COME!!!
    JAMMER FOR LIFE!
  • Options
    leadbedr10leadbedr10 Posts: 409
    Swanton wrote:
    I posted this in another thread, but I cut it down a bit. I did not get tickets to the Philly shows today and I'm bummed about that. I would have written the same post if I was fortunate enough to get tickets.

This method of ticket distribution is thoroughly unfair. You are limiting ticket sales to Ten Club members who can access a computer at a specific time. For people who work outside of an office setting or have other commitments, they are out of luck. That is unfortunate considering the core of the fanbase is now in their 30s and not exactly capable of sitting around the house waiting for the magic minute to strike.

with all the people that follow the band, no matter what time they make the sales it not going to please everyone.

Second, let me offer some helpful criticism to the members of the board who got tickets and are quite arrogant about. Please stop telling people, "You're complaining, tickets are still available, get rid of your dialup, and learn how to use a computer." STOP. I appreciate that you are happy you have tickets, but it's not like anyone who didn't get tickets is a complete idiot with fat fingers and a weak understanding of what Refresh means. The website crashes from so many people trying to sign on at once. It's not stupidity on our part. I'm sure there are many people like me that just wasted a good hour and a half clicking a mouse in the hopes to score tickets. You got lucky, congratulations. You're not a genius, and those people that were unfortunate to not get tickets are not idiots. Don't prance around the boards making fans feel like assholes. We should all be in this together.
    There is a better way into the goods section than just clicking the top of the page.
    Third, the "Temporarily Out of Stock" status is ridiculous. You either have seats left - or you don't. It just aggravates the people who continue to refresh in the hopes that the Buy button will show up. They should can that system.

That is very annoying. its all the idiots that try for tix to shows there are going to just to see if it works. The tix are in there cart until they cancel the sell.

Fourth, I signed in before the first Philly show and couldn't get tickets to that. I remained signed in and then attempted to get tickets to the second show. Once the icon appeared for the 10/30 show, I clicked on it and the first two times it said, "Tickets are not for sale." I refreshed and got the Buy button, clicked on it immediately and got an error message. After refreshing and waiting for two or three minutes - on my federal office high speed connection, mind you - I did the temporarily out of stock dance for the next hour with some Buy buttons appearing. Yet each time I clicked on Buy, I was told that I cannot buy because they are out of stock.

Its a crap shoot. I have never been shut out for tickets. But I have missed a few poster sales
    It's not a good system.

I understand I can still attempt to get tickets elsewhere, but the system for fans in the club should be better. It should be fair. My solution is this:

Fan club members wanting to attend the shows should submit their names, and should only be allowed to submit their names to one show. It's silly that some people in the fan club couldn't score seats to one show while others pulled tickets for both. That shouldn't happen.

The names should be entered into a lottery, and winners of the lottery are notified through email that they have 24 hours to confirm/buy the tickets. After that 24 hours is over, the next person in the lottery gets notified, and so on and so on.

This eliminates the luck of getting into the site before it crashes. It allows a more diverse group of fans to benefit from club membership. The singles and newsletter are nice, but most people are part of the club to get first shot at tickets. They should have a better chance than this. It also eliminates the crapshoot and frustration of trying to log into the website and feeling like a gambler at a slot machine.
    Some good ideas, but not all of it. If there is a 2 night run in one city, im going to both. Since alot of people do travel, it doesnt make sense to travel across country for one show.
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,647
    Lotteries stink. I prefer to have control over my destiny not some random chance.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,859
    welcome to 2009!
    tickets are almost all bought electronically now, if you miss out deal with it
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    Swanton wrote:

It's not a good system.

1) I agree with you. Not everyone has the ability to access a computer whenever 10c decides to make a sale. I'm lucky to be young and not have many commitments. As such, I have always been able to be near a computer for these sales when I had to, so this point doesn't really affect me in a negative way.

2) Luck is luck. Those that got in and got tickets successfully did so, and those that didn't obviously didn't. If you looked thoroughly at people's threads on here today, the vast majority of them were people complaining about their inabilities to get tickets. They also did so in terrible ways, such as "Ten Club are run by incompetent idiots" - and that was the whole post. Personally, I think an argument is only as valid as its explanation. There were MANY people (myself included), who were trying to bring exposure to the fact that "Temporarily out of stock" is not the same as "Sold out", so that those who were shut out of the first night could get tickets to the second night. Everybody sees what they wants to see, and there are good people here, and bad people here. You can't inherently change a person - ESPECIALLY not through a message board. Thus, I encourage you to do what I do - ignore the pessimists, or try and reason with them. Most people here ARE reasonable.

3) It's clear that you aren't aware about what the "Temporarily out of stock" status means - it means simply that there are unfinished transactions due to people with the tickets in their carts. Compare this to Ticketmaster's method of simply not even saying whether there are tickets tentatively being held in peoples' carts, and you'll realize this is actually quite generous of them to include.

4) While the error messages and site reliability issues CAN be fixed with a better server, being told they are out of stock after you push "Buy" is a result of the difference in time in which "Buy", even though it still shows up as "Buy", has actually become "Temporarily out of stock". Because of this, I see no issue with that, as I don't see anything wrong with the "Temporarily out of stock" status.

I do agree with your solution, though I don't like the idea of only being able to apply for one show. The reality is that, much to the chagrin of locals, this band is a band which attracts people near and far. As such, it would be absurd to shut out anyone willing to travel for the band.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Lizardjam wrote:

So....if you see the same people in the front row you must be pretty close yourself?

The system that is in place has always worked for me and I do believe in the seniority seating. I'm sorry it's frustrating to you and I agree that everyone should have a shot at being as close as they would like, hence the lottery system for rows 1-2 and 9-10. I hope you win that lottery to ease your frustrations.

Nice way to completely avoid the point. I've never had a problem with seating. I have a problem with the same people buying FAN CLUB tickets to shows all over the country. Let other people get a chance to see them, rather than get shut out as everyone on this site likes to point out that there are limited tickets.

I like potnikc's idea. 1 ten club show per tour. You want to see them more? Look elsewhere.

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

• Options
    pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306
    What's wrong with what they did with Ed's solo tour? Click on the shows you want and then wait to see if you get em thru confirmation. No sitting around for hour(s) hoping for a buy button to appear. I thought it, (Ed's shows), was totally fair. The OP is right. Many people are forced to get em thru other means as they have jobs that don't allow them access at such and such times. I scored tix for Ed's show in Memphis and Philly 2 a few hours ago and I'd much prefer the way it went for Ed's show...................If I didn't get the show I didn't get it but I wouldn't have to take off work go home and pray to God to get the buy button :)
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • Options
    Lotteries stink. I prefer to have control over my destiny not some random chance.

I had no control for philly 2 ( at 5 pm eastern here )
    in fact, i couldnt even get into the system.
    just sayin,.....
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    The really frustrating thing is I got the Buy button on my third or fourth try but got an error message. Then I saw the Buy button about 10 more times during the next hour and it always lead to a message that the tickets were out of stock.

And I don't feel like I had control over my own destiny today. I stayed at work for an extra 90 minutes since I would normally be driving home at 5PM EST. So I did everything I was supposed to do and got shut down. I know I'm not alone.
    You will try.
  • Options
    TEEJAM11TEEJAM11 Posts: 335
    ummmmm this solution sucks!!!
    current way works as is....

The only solution people want is to hear you got tickets...

Competition is the name of the game here... we all want the same thing
    and when someone doesn't get what they want they post BS after BS.....

We all have the same chance at the tickets...

Allot of people here take the day off when Tickets go on sale...
  • Options
    Couldn't disagree more with your post.

Everyone does not have the same chance at tickets. The only people that have a chance at tickets are those that can be at a computer at the designated time of the presale.

If alot of people took the day off to buy tickets through here, then alot of people wasted a sick or vacation day. It's not like I'm simply bitching about missing out on tickets. I'm offering a solution that covers several factors and allows more fans to be involved instead of the very small percentage that are active on this site.
    You will try.
  • Options
    strummersstrummers Posts: 2,611
    Lizardjam wrote:

Location restriction doesn't work - what about those people who are unlucky enough to never be near a PJ show - that means they would never be able to get 10c tickets - if needed a better restriction would be a ticket restriction (1 pair per tour/country/area or 2 per tour etc).
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    http://www.strummersphotography.com

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,747
    with being able to buy more shows through the ten club than just one, it ensures more fans travelling and going to shoes...equaling more fans in the building from other places...then include the locals...meaning there will be more sellouts...meaning more money. it all comes down to money. they will not change the system. think about it.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    TEEJAM11TEEJAM11 Posts: 335
    Do you guys remember back in the day when we would have to stand outside 5am in line at your tower records.
    You would get a wrist band and cross your finger you won the lotto.
    People in the back of the line would get great tickets because they got the lucky number etc...
    this sucked point being, no system is fool proof or accommodating to everyone..

And to think Pearl Jam tour 98 I did stand in line....

This system is way better....
  • Options
    Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    There will never be a perfect system. The only solution to today's ticket crunch would be if the band would play more then one city on the East Coast. The demand far outreached the supply. When they do a full blown tour tickets are not as difficult, with the exception of MSG and maybe the Gorge.

I don't agree with the location restrictions, that has been argued now for years. If someone can afford to travel to other cities to see Pearl Jam play why not? It makes for a great vacation and you meet all kinds of great friends. Plus what about the kid in Kansas City that doesn't have a show near them? Better luck next tour? Never gonna happen.

I don't like the lottery system either, first come first serve, or better yet first through the server and not kicked out, first serve is the fairest way to go (Pretty much is a lottery anyway). Can you imagine the horror if we went back to the "old days" of camping out in front of the box office to get tickets. I'll take sitting in front of a computer and praying the server doesn't shut me out anyday.

And yes, I would be saying this if I didn't get tickets as well.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • Options
    strummers wrote:
    Lizardjam wrote:

Location restriction doesn't work - what about those people who are unlucky enough to never be near a PJ show - that means they would never be able to get 10c tickets - if needed a better restriction would be a ticket restriction (1 pair per tour/country/area or 2 per tour etc).

I agree. I posted again with that....one show per tour. I would want anyone that can't see them locally to travel...but not the ones that do nothing but travel and consequently locals get shut out.

• Options
    PJammin' wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    go back to postcards

:lol:

thats funny ?

the fanclub used to do postcard mailins,

seemed a whole lot better.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Swanton wrote:
    Couldn't disagree more with your post.

Everyone does not have the same chance at tickets. The only people that have a chance at tickets are those that can be at a computer at the designated time of the presale.

If alot of people took the day off to buy tickets through here, then alot of people wasted a sick or vacation day. It's not like I'm simply bitching about missing out on tickets. I'm offering a solution that covers several factors and allows more fans to be involved instead of the very small percentage that are active on this site.
    I got to say, I do not like you idea of having a lottery - then having to wait to know if you got tickets or not - and wait for them to notify everyone, then wait for their payments to be submitted, then re-offer the tickets and so on. Nah, I would rather know right away if i got tickets or not.

No matter how to slice or dice it, the same amount of tickets will be sold.

I generally only go to local Pacific Northwest shows, and I have never been shut out of a 10C ticketed show.

I understand your frustration, but that is why the general public sale happens also.
  • Options
    I missed out on Ed solo tickets numerous times so I know how those who didnt get tickets feel. I managed to get SD tickets this morning relatively easily but having experienced it before I know how difficult the system can be. I also got aggravated by some of the posts from those who got Ed tickets last year, so I wont act like a fool because I got tickets.

I agree there are ways to smooth things out. Cities that have more then one show should be limited to one per show. While the idea of a location restriction is interesting, it wouldnt be fair to those who live in areas where shows are never played. It would be nice if people would log out after getting there tickets so as not to crowd the server but we all know that is not going to happen. If all tickets to all shows went on sale at the same time people would have to pick which show they most wanted and go for those which may limit the amount of people who somehow come out with tickets to like 4 shows while others get none, but this doesnt solve the problem for those who cant be at the computer.
    http://mastersofourdomain.blogspot.com/

My Movie/Music Reviews & Sports Blog