Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,621
    BRING BACK LILLIE MAE!
  • Options
    kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,890
    mrussel1 said:
    BRING BACK LILLIE MAE!
    I’d love to have Ruby back, especially to sing her vocal compliment on Love Interruption and background vocals on some of the new stuff.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,177

Every genius has put out one of these "weird" albums eventually. here is a list......

Eddie Vedder- Ukulele songs

Chris Cornell- Scream

Billy Corgan- Future Embrace

and I am sure there are many more but it is too early in the morning to think

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Can't wait to listen. These reviews are all over the place.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    lolobugg said:

Every genius has put out one of these "weird" albums eventually. here is a list......

Chris Cornell- Scream

how is Uke Songs "weird"? he showcased his uke affection on Binaural and during his rare solo performances back then. I didn't find it to be a stretch at all. the other two, though, yeah.....
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    lolobugg said:

Chris Cornell- Scream

how is Uke Songs "weird"? he showcased his uke affection on Binaural and during his rare solo performances back then. I didn't find it to be a stretch at all. the other two, though, yeah.....

Well it isn't weird for us diehards, but if you asked any casual fan or Radio programmer I think they would think a full album of songs played on the Uke by Ed Ved would seem like a "weird" direction for him to go.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• Options
    lolobugg said:
    lolobugg said:

Chris Cornell- Scream

Well it isn't weird for us diehards, but if you asked any casual fan or Radio programmer I think they would think a full album of songs played on the Uke by Ed Ved would seem like a "weird" direction for him to go.
    true
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    edited March 2018
    I wouldn’t really classify Cornell and EV in the same class or type of genius as JW. Jack has been the driving force in every known band he’s been a part of, with a very distinct thumbprint. CC and EV have relied on other band members at times. 

I view Scream and Uke Songs as obvious side project designed to get away from a sound they were know for and they seemed to be marketed that way.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options
    I wouldn't classify JW as a genius at all. I think Cornell is one of the greatest songwriters of our time. I look at Ed as my generation's Bob Dylan. 

JW hasn't really done anything musically that I would consider groundbreaking. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    I wouldn't classify JW as a genius at all. I think Cornell is one of the greatest songwriters of our time. I look at Ed as my generation's Bob Dylan. 

JW hasn't really done anything musically that I would consider groundbreaking. 
    Disagree..  he was the driving force behind the (albeit short lived) garage rock movement.  He produced a grammy winning country album by a female singer.  His solo albums were completely different than the WS.  Racons and the Dead Weather both have their own distinct sounds.  The guy can write music in so many different genres; rock, hard rock, folk, country, blues, etc.  The only thing he hasn't really touched is jazz.  I have always said he is our generation's Neil Young.  
  • Options

Cornellnis a great songwriter, but the best music that he’s been a part of has other strong musical personalities helping bring it to fruition.

Well, Ed’s great and all, but he simply doesn’t have the reputation or body of work to be considered anything close to Bob Dylan. 
  • Options

I think JW is a genius not only for his music but his business acumen too.

He has ridden the vinyl resurgence to a huge fortune.

and I agree with mrussel1 too about the music. they guy can pretty much do any genre..... except according to the reviews- HipHop/Electro/Spokenword.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• Options
    edited March 2018
    lolobugg said:

and I agree with mrussel1 too about the music. they guy can pretty much do any genre..... except according to the reviews- HipHop/Electro/Spokenword.

Ha...Thirdman is $1mil in debt. Respect for what he tries to push, but i don’t think he’s shown good business sense.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    lolobugg said:

Ha...Thirdman is $1mil in debt. Respect for what he tries to push, but i don’t think he’s shown good business sense.

Well, he might've overdone it with the Detroit expansion.

vinyl ain't selling THAT well.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• Options
    DewieCox said:
    lolobugg said:

I was going to mention this too. but maybe he doesn't give a shit about the debt since he put so much into and believes in it so much. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    lolobugg said:
    DewieCox said:
    lolobugg said:

Well, he might've overdone it with the Detroit expansion.

vinyl ain't selling THAT well.

I think he’s put too much effort in promoting kitschy music and has no real money makers on his roster, besides his projects.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

Cornellnis a great songwriter, but the best music that he’s been a part of has other strong musical personalities helping bring it to fruition.

Well, Ed’s great and all, but he simply doesn’t have the reputation or body of work to be considered anything close to Bob Dylan. 
    I just meant in the "rocker" and "folk singer" way. That said, BD has put out a lot of shyte. If Ed released everything he's ever written/recorded like Bob and Neil seem to do, the conversation might be quite different. I imagine a HOST of EV stuff that remains in his own little vault. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Got my shipping confirmation today, Tues delivery. WTF I like how TMR does things but it wouldn't have been too hard to ship these so they arrive by the release date.

Guess I'm in the minority because I'm digging the new direction.
    #FHP
  • Options
    ugh. just listened to the 4 tracks released so far again. what a mess. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    DewieCox said:

I just meant in the "rocker" and "folk singer" way. That said, BD has put out a lot of shyte. If Ed released everything he's ever written/recorded like Bob and Neil seem to do, the conversation might be quite different. I imagine a HOST of EV stuff that remains in his own little vault. 
    My thing is, Ed’s songs aren’t ever going to inform culture the way Dylan’s have. His lyrics have permeated language and the way generations think. He has no equal, really. The “shyte” that him and Neil have put out came after extensive periods of operating at pretty insane level of creativity. I think Ed has learned some restraint and self editing from those guys. 

Don’t want to come off like I’m slagging Ed or Cornell. They’re once in a lifetime talents. I’m here and not over at LittleRoom. I’m not saying either is more or less talented. Just the way their roads have led and my perception. 
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:

My thing is, Ed’s songs aren’t ever going to inform culture the way Dylan’s have. His lyrics have permeated language and the way generations think. He has no equal, really. The “shyte” that him and Neil have put out came after extensive periods of operating at pretty insane level of creativity. I think Ed has learned some restraint and self editing from those guys. 

Don’t want to come off like I’m slagging Ed or Cornell. They’re once in a lifetime talents. I’m here and not over at LittleRoom. I’m not saying either is more or less talented. Just the way their roads have led and my perception. 
    I agree. I wasn't really trying to elevate Ed to Bob's status. I was more trying to paint a picture of what Ed means to me in terms of impact musically. I don't think ANYONE can match what Dylan did, partly because of his songwriting, but also because of the generation he was in. Context is everything in my opinion. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,512
    edited March 2018
    Let's just agree that Gord Downie kicked Eddie and Chris's asses in terms of lyrics, agree that Bob Dylan is in a different ballpark altogether in terms of impact (I can't even believe anyone thinks any of these guys come close to Bob Dylan as far as that goes, whether you love Dylan or not), and leave it at that? =)
    (and honestly, Eddie used to be pretty damn good with lyrics/writing, but not anymore. I think he's fallen to the bottom of the barrel)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Let's just agree that Gord Downie kicked Eddie and Chris's asses in terms of lyrics, agree that Bob Dylan is in a different ballpark altogether in terms of impact (I can't even believe anyone thinks any of these guys come close to Bob Dylan as far as that goes, whether you love Dylan or not), and leave it at that? =)
    (and honestly, Eddie used to be pretty damn good with lyrics/writing, but not anymore. I think he's fallen to the bottom of the barrel)
    I clarified my bob comment. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I am not even sure I read either comments fully or knew who posted them - I was just talking to everyone in general.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I am not even sure I read either comments fully or knew who posted them - I was just talking to everyone in general.
    that's odd. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    edited March 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    that's odd. 
    How so? It was just a lighthearted comment - stop being so serious. ;)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Don't know much about Gord, but Bruce has always spoke to me.  But I grew up in rust belt city so I get everything that he sings about.  

If it was the 19th century, Bruce and Dylan would be our Emerson and Thoreau.  
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Don't know much about Gord, but Bruce has always spoke to me.  But I grew up in rust belt city so I get everything that he sings about.  

If it was the 19th century, Bruce and Dylan would be our Emerson and Thoreau.  
    Bruce is definitely also a great lyricist/writer... or used to be anyway. I think he's really lost a lot of his impact too, just like Eddie.... It could be a lifestyle thing for those two... I'm not at all convinced it's an age thing. More like a "I'm so fucking rich and I almost exclusively hobnob with movie stars and other super famous people" thing. I don't think Dylan even got there. Obviously Gord didn't either - I don't think he even really even got super duper rich, since he's only really a Canadian thing.

As for Jack White.... Not sure what's up with him. He's a bit of a weirdo, lol. I do LOVE his whole TMR thing though. I agree he badly needs to change his tactics there though, as far as who he's producing goes, and what kind of music he's putting out there via TMR. I mean, come on, most of it is barely listenable to the majority of people. What's he got against some really awesome alt rock? Or some cool variances in that direction? Some music that appeals to more people that just his own weird little subgenre would be cool.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    DewieCox said:
     I’m here and not over at LittleRoom. 
    They're loving it in LittleRoom. Of course they're as crazy about Jack as most are of Ed here.
    #FHP
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    Without a doubt the worst album I have ever heard.
    Collosal waste of money and now a sudden loss of musical respect for JW.
    Never been so disappointed in an album.:(
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12