Options

Jack White/ThirdMan/THE VAULT

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,513
    edited March 2018
    RobbyD462 said:
    Without a doubt the worst album I have ever heard.
    Collosal waste of money and now a sudden loss of musical respect for JW.
    Never been so disappointed in an album.:(
    Wowee. Aren't there any songs on the album you like?
    Maybe you're being a bit harsh, lol. All artists should be able to release at least one album that you completely hate without losing your respect. ;) Maybe just think of it as his "experimental album"!
    ... I do wish I hadn't spent that much on the Vault when I could have just got the regular album for $18, lol, but oh well, I knew buying an album I've never heard for $100 was a risk. I took it. Luckily I don't loathe it like you do. :fearful: Maybe you can trade it in at the record store for store credit!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,621
    RobbyD462 said:
    Is it worse than "Look what the cat dragged in" by Poison?
  • Options
    I read the RS article today on JW.  One interesting tidbit is that the last song on the album is written by Al Capone.  Evidently JW bought the sheet and lyrics at an auction and then recorded it.  Crazy ass mofo.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,830
    mrussel1 said:
    I read the RS article today on JW.  One interesting tidbit is that the last song on the album is written by Al Capone.  Evidently JW bought the sheet and lyrics at an auction and then recorded it.  Crazy ass mofo.  
    as in scarface al capone?!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah.. written in Alcatraz.  Apparently he was in a band.  Machine Gun Kelly was the drummer.  Not shitting.
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    PJ_Soul said:
    RobbyD462 said:
    Wowee. Aren't there any songs on the album you like?
    Maybe you're being a bit harsh, lol. All artists should be able to release at least one album that you completely hate without losing your respect. ;) Maybe just think of it as his "experimental album"!
    ... I do wish I hadn't spent that much on the Vault when I could have just got the regular album for $18, lol, but oh well, I knew buying an album I've never heard for $100 was a risk. I took it. Luckily I don't loathe it like you do. :fearful: Maybe you can trade it in at the record store for store credit!
    No not really.lol
    I listened to it and there was times where I just wanted to turn it off.
    If anyone is looking to add this set to their collection give me a shout.
    Its been spun once.
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,230
    mrussel1 said:
    RobbyD462 said:
    Is it worse than "Look what the cat dragged in" by Poison?
    You’re crazy. Look what the cat dragged in is awesome.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah.. written in Alcatraz.  Apparently he was in a band.  Machine Gun Kelly was the drummer.  Not shitting.
    at first when I read the article I thought that line was a joke. Then there was no punchline. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    listening to the whole album now. even worse than the first 4 singles. this is arthouse nonsense. this is music made by someone who plays to 4 people in a coffee shop but acts as if he's a genius who should be playing to 40,000. 

did he listen to indie release Beck and go: "I want to be THAT"?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Horos said:
    DewieCox said:
     I’m here and not over at LittleRoom. 
    They're loving it in LittleRoom. Of course they're as crazy about Jack as most are of Ed here.
    I'm assuming Littleroom is a Jack white board?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    this is just so utterly awful I feel like Jack is playing a joke on the industry. Get In The Mind Shaft reminds me of the Friends episode where Ross is playing his "music" at Central Perk. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    this is just so utterly awful I feel like Jack is playing a joke on the industry. Get In The Mind Shaft reminds me of the Friends episode where Ross is playing his "music" at Central Perk. 
    My Vault just arrived at work. Should I put Friends on in the background while listening tonight?
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:
    My Vault just arrived at work. Should I put Friends on in the background while listening tonight?
    or print off a picture of David Schwimmer and tape it to the face on the front of your record. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    JK_Livin said:
    or print off a picture of David Schwimmer and tape it to the face on the front of your record. 
    You take that back right now!
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,906
    JK_Livin said:
    Horos said:
    DewieCox said:
     I’m here and not over at LittleRoom. 
    They're loving it in LittleRoom. Of course they're as crazy about Jack as most are of Ed here.
    I'm assuming Littleroom is a Jack white board?
    Yep
  • Options
    Classic episode!  My god this record is that bad?!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Classic episode!  My god this record is that bad?!
    I have honestly no clue what he is going for here. It is so out there. it is all over the place. even without the issue of inconsistency, these songs wouldn't hold up on their own as decent songs if they were released as one-offs. some of them are odd, but the rest are just not good at all. it's one of the most bizarre works I've heard from an established artist. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    edited March 2018
    watch for the Jack White crazies to call it "genius" that "the rest of you just don't understand". LOL. I'm an EV crazy, and if he released this, I'd throw it in the garbage. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,177
    Wow.... I have got to listen to this album.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• Options
    lolobugg said:
    Wow.... I have got to listen to this album.
    HA. 
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    watch for the Jack White crazies to call it "genius" that "the rest of you just don't understand". LOL. I'm an EV crazy, and if he released this, I'd throw it in the garbage. 
    Wow lol.  Can’t wait to spin it lol. 
  • Options
    Gtilley8Gtilley8 Detroit Posts: 985

I paid the extra $18 with the ticket to get the vinyl.  I'm trying to find a way to explain owning this album to my son one day.  

My buddy that's a huge Jack White fan says he loves it....."Listened to it 5 times already today."  I'm not buying it.  I think most of his fans are going to spin this for a week, and then never again.  
    2000 - 8/21 - Columbus, OH
    2003 - 6/18 - Chicago, IL
    2006 - 5/22 - Auburn Hills, MI
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL
    2015 - 9/26 - New York, NY
    2016 - 4/16 - Greenville, SC; 8/20 - Chicago, IL; 8/22 - Chicago, IL
    2018 - 8/18 - Chicago, IL; 8/20 - Chicago, IL

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3045
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    :lol: I've listened to it 3 times now... getting better for me, not worse. I can't believe how much everyone hates this album, haha! I'm not saying it's fucking awesome, and there is one really rough patch towards the end of the album for me. But I'm quite sure I'm not just fan-girling over this - I'm not THAT big a Jack White fan.... I do think it's better than Backspacer, lol. I can see myself pulling it out for a spin maybe a few times a year. I mean, it's an experimental album I would say... I'm not having much of a problem adjusting my mindset to accommodate that.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    :lol: I've listened to it 3 times now... getting better for me, not worse. I can't believe how much everyone hates this album, haha! I'm not saying it's fucking awesome, and there is one really rough patch towards the end of the album for me. But I'm quite sure I'm not just fan-girling over this - I'm not THAT big a Jack White fan.... I do think it's better than Backspacer, lol. I can see myself pulling it out for a spin maybe a few times a year. I mean, it's an experimental album I would say... I'm not having much of a problem adjusting my mindset to accommodate that.
    More like blunderbuss or lazaretto as an album?
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Ummmm.... Neither. But if there were a gun to my head, I'd definitely say Lazaretto, for sure.
  • Options
    pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,818
    I'm halfway through and it's been a struggle so far. I really enjoyed the last 2 solo albums too, so this is a bummer for me. I just don't get what he is trying to do on most of this so far. I will continue to try and break it in, but I'm glad I didn't order this vault 
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Ummmm.... Neither. But if there were a gun to my head, I'd definitely say Lazaretto, for sure.
    for sure. I didn't mind blunderbuss. lazaretto I bought I think 2 tracks. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah, I recall you saying you don't really care for that album either... I actually like Lazaretto a bit better than Blunderbuss. Unfortunately for you HFD, JW seems to fleeing from what you like! ;)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah, I recall you saying you don't really care for that album either... I actually like Lazaretto a bit better than Blunderbuss. Unfortunately for you HFD, JW seems to fleeing from what you like! ;)
    meh, I still have WS, DW. I'm covered! he's not an artist that really disappoints me with a direction I don't care for. now if the headstones started playing country/bluegrass/americana I'd flip my fucking lid. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    edited March 2018
    Shit ya!
    Poor JW he’s got a horrible case of the Mobys
    Post edited by RobbyD462 on
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12