Jack White/ThirdMan/THE VAULT

Comments

• timdwillitimdwilli Los Angeles, CA Posts: 294
    JW is headlining Arroy Seco Weekend in June...pretty solid lineup overall 

https://www.arroyosecoweekend.com/

• JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    kasedoug said:
    Another song from the new album. "Over and Over and Over." I think I like this one the best of what's been released so far.

https://youtu.be/8n0PUXewaC0
    I like it. Heard a little RATM in there.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    ^^^^^^^ Not a fan of the backing vocals.
    yeah, not digging that at all. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I like the back up vocals.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    So Jack is playing in Barcelona two days after Pearl Jam....hmmmm...

My bf is seeing him already this year, but hopefully I can convince him to see him once more! Would put the cherry on our vacation!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    samjam said:

My bf is seeing him already this year, but hopefully I can convince him to see him once more! Would put the cherry on our vacation!
    Aren't the Foos also at that festival? Quite the weekend. 
    PJ_Soul said:
    I like the back up vocals.
    I don't gospel. plus, they are way to loud in the mix. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    mrussel1 said:
    samjam said:

Aren't the Foos also at that festival? Quite the weekend. 
    I think that might be a different festival. Here's the one two days after PJ: https://www.cruillabarcelona.com/en/
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    edited March 2018
    Went to the listening party last night and heard the whole new record. I quite liked it.

Post edited by Horos on
    #FHP
    Horos said:
    Went to the listening party last night and heard the whole new record. I quite liked it.

Nice. There were no listening parties near me.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    so in the new Rolling Stone, Jack says that a White Stripes reunion is "doubtful", because "there is a case to be made that in a lot of ways, The White Stripes IS Jack White solo. In a lot of ways. There's only two people in th eband. iw as writing and producing and conducting. The melodies are coming from one person, the rhythm was coming from Meg". 

This is in stark contrast to him saying back when they first broke up that "Meg is the White Stripes". 

and this just 3 years ago:

Still, her contributions to the band were vital. "I would often look at her onstage and say, 'I can't believe she's up here.' I don't think she understood how important she was to the band, and to me and to music," he said. "She was the antithesis of a modern drummer. So childlike and incredible and inspiring. All the not-talking didn't matter, because onstage? Nothing I do will top that."

Seems someone is becoming a bit Corgan-esque. Which is funny, as he even name drops Corgan in the interview. 

"People define things by the label you give them. I'm sure if Billy Corgan called his solo album Smashing Pumpkins, it probably would have sold twice as many copies or whatever". 

Is someone getting bitter that he used to play 15,000 seat arenas? STOP WRITING COUNTRY SONGS THEN. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I am way to biased to criticize Jack White, lol. I'm just going to chalk this up to "divorce crap". But I do agree he's gotta move further away from the country fetish. I don't mind some of the more bluegrass sounds he sometimes sticks into his solo work like you do HFD - I like his solo stuff a lot, but hate country (I have more of a problem with too much country sound with Ryan Adams and Wilco than I do JW). But overall, fuck, way too much country happening at Third Man Records. I don't even understand how anyone likes country music, let alone someone as cool as Jack White.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    bluegrass I don't mind (I liked his Cold Mountain soundtrack songs). Country and R&B are what bug me. He can do whatever he wants as an artist, but he's one musician I will probably never buy a full record from again. I buy maybe a third of the tracks and the rest are throwaways to me.  

To me, this just sounds like bitterness that he's not nearly as successful as he was, and he's lashing out to the idea that Meg had something to do with the previous success. I honestly will say that I thought when he initially said "without meg there is no white stripes" that he was just being nice, or he was over-defending her to her critics, I mean, what's the joke, what do you call a guy surrounded by 3 musicians? a drummer! Meg had her own style, but the creative output was all Jack. 

I love Dead Weather. I love white stripes. Raconteurs I can take or leave. And JW solo I can definitely leave. it doesn't help when he touts himself as some musical genius half the time. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    I'd argue he's more successful now than he was with the Stripes. He's just not as critically lauded. I mean, hes headlining lots of festivals this summer, including Lollapalooza. 

I think his country stuff has been the most interesting material hes done in the past few years. his rock stuff is where he is faltering songwriting wise because it has to stack up to the Stripes material. 

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    edited March 2018
    Seems like a fair statement to me. You wouldn’t want any other drummer on those songs, but he was obviously the brains behind the operation. And he’s definitely not struggling for popularity. He’s more of a household name now than ever, really and headlining all the big festivals.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
    edited March 2018
    bluegrass I don't mind (I liked his Cold Mountain soundtrack songs). Country and R&B are what bug me. He can do whatever he wants as an artist, but he's one musician I will probably never buy a full record from again. I buy maybe a third of the tracks and the rest are throwaways to me.  

To me, this just sounds like bitterness that he's not nearly as successful as he was, and he's lashing out to the idea that Meg had something to do with the previous success. I honestly will say that I thought when he initially said "without meg there is no white stripes" that he was just being nice, or he was over-defending her to her critics, I mean, what's the joke, what do you call a guy surrounded by 3 musicians? a drummer! Meg had her own style, but the creative output was all Jack. 

I love Dead Weather. I love white stripes. Raconteurs I can take or leave. And JW solo I can definitely leave. it doesn't help when he touts himself as some musical genius half the time. 
    Yeah, that's what I'm not sure about with what you and I are hearing, because it sounds like you think think 1/3 of his solo albums are country. I don't feel that way.

I personally couldn't care less about what he thinks or says about Meg. I love the WS, but I've never felt any kind of connection with her. I'm glad she played those drums, but if Jack has some sour grapes about her for whatever reason, I don't give a shit one way or the other. I feel totally neutral about what he has to say about her or her role in the WS.

As for him supposedly touting him as some musical genius half the time... I haven't really felt that way about him, but if that's what he does, well, I guess he knows a musical genius when he sees one, lol. I concur with that opinion.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    I mean, wheres the line between bluegrass and country. JW3's country is not like nashville pop country.
    Vault starts shipping next week.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I mean, wheres the line between bluegrass and country. JW3's country is not like nashville pop country.
    There’s nothing bluegrass about Jack white. No flat picking, no shredding fiddle or banjo. I’d say it’s a Americana with a modern spin. I think you could classify most of his discography under that umbrella, especially as he’s gotten more adept in his musicianship. He was pretty green on the early Stripes material.
    edited March 2018
    DewieCox said:
    There’s nothing bluegrass about Jack white. No flat picking, no shredding fiddle or banjo. I’d say it’s a Americana with a modern spin. I think you could classify most of his discography under that umbrella, especially as he’s gotten more adept in his musicianship. He was pretty green on the early Stripes material.
    I was just talking about what is sounds like in terms of influence. I think plenty of his solo stuff sounds influenced by modern bluegrass, though I fucking know next to nothing about that genre. But what modern bluegrass I have heard does have qualities that JW's work sometimes has IMO (if you're thinking about pure old school bluegrass, then you're right). Yeah, sure, Americana's a good word for whatever it is he's doing. In any case, I don't feel like it's got a super heavy country sound like HFD does. There is a touch, but not so much it's off-putting to this country music hater.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,888
    Jack White live in the Blue Room this Thursday and Friday. On-sale today at 12pm Central.

https://instagram.com/p/BgTtUMWFHQ-/
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    If I only lived in Nashville
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    PJ_Soul said:
    DewieCox said:
    I was just talking about what is sounds like in terms of influence. I think plenty of his solo stuff sounds influenced by modern bluegrass, though I fucking know next to nothing about that genre. But what modern bluegrass I have heard does have qualities that JW's work sometimes has IMO (if you're thinking about pure old school bluegrass, then you're right). Yeah, sure, Americana's a good word for whatever it is he's doing. In any case, I don't feel like it's got a super heavy country sound like HFD does. There is a touch, but not so much it's off-putting to this country music hater.
    I probably get the terms incorrect. bottom line: no matter what the style is called, I don't like it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    kasedoug said:
    Jack White live in the Blue Room this Thursday and Friday. On-sale today at 12pm Central.

https://instagram.com/p/BgTtUMWFHQ-/
    Thanks for posting :sunglasses:  Unfortunately, just seeing it and, about the same time, a tweet from TMR. I'm in Birmingham and woulda gladly but tires on pavement to see this.
    Are these vaults arriving? I found a parcel delivery slip in my mailbox yesterday evening, and I can't think of what it could be if it's not the TMR Vault!
  • RoeDawg13RoeDawg13 Posts: 246
    PJ_Soul said:
    Are these vaults arriving? I found a parcel delivery slip in my mailbox yesterday evening, and I can't think of what it could be if it's not the TMR Vault!

That would be a very welcome surprise. It's a good month between the vault, new PJ single, new Hendrix and STP albums too.
    I am wired and fading...
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    PJ_Soul said:
    Starts shipping next week.
    #FHP
    edited March 2018
    Yeah, it wasn't the TMR Vault. :frowning: It was literally the most disappointing "parcel" I've ever received. It was literally an empty box, lol. My cable/internet provider is coming on Friday to upgrade my router, so, unbelievably, they sent me an empty box with a return shipping label in it, so that I can send my old router back to them... even though their employee will be in my home tomorrow. Why isn't that person just replacing my router and leaving with the old one rather than shipping empty boxes to people? Does Telus have a massive surplus, so they're finding new ways to waste money?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah, it wasn't the TMR Vault. :frowning: It was literally the most disappointing "parcel" I've ever received. It was literally an empty box, lol. My cable/internet provider is coming on Friday to upgrade by router, so, unbelievably, they sent me an empty box with a return shipping label in it, so that I can send my old router back to them... even though their employee will be in my home tomorrow. Why isn't that person just replacing my router and leaving with the old one rather than shipping empty boxes to people? Does Telus have a massive surplus, so they're finding new ways to waste money?
    My guess... they can hold you financially responsible for not returning the router to whatever central office, and it's harder/more painful for their techs.  Just offloading responsibility.  And yeah, that's super disappointing.  
  • kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,888
    !!!