Comments

• Options
    Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    I want to see a performance of No Way
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • Options
    ECMECM Posts: 1,687
    there are alot of people that share these same opinions..... don't agree with all of them, but whatever..... that's how you feel....

however, this tour the 1st 2 rows are random and no transfers.... so the vibe should switch up night to night in regards to his "whales up front" comment.....

AND this guy should NOT be banned..... he didn't point out any person in particular.... nice to get different view points on the board
    wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    krobbinzkrobbinz Posts: 187
    Shorter shows?!!! Holy poop, thats a bit far fetched.

Even as a 33 year old with chronic arthritis in one knee I would LOVE to be a part of a 3 hour + show!

I think Lolla was a great show, I took two friends that were non-Pearl Jam fans prior to the show and now we are planning on making the 15 hour drive to Bonnaroo to get another dose!
    East Troy 10/08/00 St. Paul 06/16/03 Chicago 5/17/06 St. Paul 6/26/06 St. Paul 6/27/06 Lollapalooza '07 Bonnaroo '08
    Chicago 8/23/09 Chicago 8/24/09 PJ 20 9/3/11 PJ 20 9/4/11 Milwaukee 10/20/14 Chicago 8/20/16 Chicago 8/22/16 Chicago 8/18/18 Chicago 8/20/18
  • Options
    oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
    All I remember about the 40+ year old white women up front is that I was treated to a front row ticket in Halifax and I will always love them for that.

They are good people.
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    I usually tend towards sharing of the front rows when the Senority thing crops up...
    But, after reading some of these messages... there are alot of young shitheads here with a strong sense of self-entitlement. That is the typical stereo-type of your generation... way to go in proving that the stereo-type exists.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    pjbouncepjbounce Posts: 1
    I'm calling troll.

You stated on 8/02/2006 that you had seen 51 shows.
    On 08/04/2007 it was 25+, which could mean 51.
    But, on 11/13/2007, you said you had seen 100+ shows. That would mean almost every show from that date forward, even though as you say 97 was the peak for you.

Secondly, you state you have never been closer than the 12th row, and your number is 111,xxx. Anyone that watched that information on touring fans the last few tours knows that your number would get you closer than the 12th row most nights. It would definitely get you closer than the 12th row when(as you say you were) you were the first one in your block in 2003.

Finally, there were many GA shows after 8/4/2007, you could have been in the front row for all of those. Even if you didn't want to be in front for the GA shows, when you went to the shows in Australia (which you would have had to do according to your posts), your number would have definitely been before the 12th row.
  • Options
    teskeincteskeinc Posts: 836
    Should the fans on this tour in Rows 1-2 be worried that "the whales" are in Rows 3-4?
    1994 : Memphis 1995 : New Orleans 1996 : Seattle
    1998 : St Louis, Birmingham, Knoxville
    2000 : Memphis, Nashville, St Louis
    2003 : Irvine 1+2, Vegas, Bridge School 1+2, Santa Barbara
    2005 : Missoula, Vancouver, Gorge 2006 : LA 1+2, Vegas
    2008 : W Palm Beach, Tampa, Who Rock Honors, EV LA 2
    2009 : LA 1, LA 4, EV 1 Nashville 2011 : EV Long Beach
    2012: EV Vegas 1+2
    2013 LA 1+2 2018 Prague, Wrigley 2
    2020 Phoenix, SD

• Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930
    pjbounce wrote:
    I'm calling troll.

But, on 11/13/2007, you said you had seen 100+ shows. That would mean almost every show from that date forward, even though as you say 97 was the peak for you.

Secondly, you state you have never been closer than the 12th row, and your number is 111,xxx. Anyone that watched that information on touring fans the last few tours knows that your number would get you closer than the 12th row most nights. It would definitely get you closer than the 12th row when(as you say you were) you were the first one in your block in 2003.

Finally, there were many GA shows after 8/4/2007, you could have been in the front row for all of those. Even if you didn't want to be in front for the GA shows, when you went to the shows in Australia (which you would have had to do according to your posts), your number would have definitely been before the 12th row.

Wow.....you really care that much Inspector Gadget?
  • Options
    HailRoad24HailRoad24 Posts: 133
    I agree with the original poster in that PJ has become fairly predictable, especially on the 2006 tour. When I say predictable, I mean, we know we are going to get a solo in Even Flow, Alive, and Porch. Then, we know we will get a jam in RVM, Crazy Mary, and Daughter. Come on guys, chop the fat off of those songs, tigthen them up, and then throw in NEW solos and jams on other songs. RVM is killer in the #2 slot in the set without a long jam. Hell, lead off a show with a sharp, tight Even Flow. And like the OP said, end the show with Betterman/SIFL, or Smile more often, or even a pile-driving Porch.

MITS, 1/2 Full, LBC, and others are prime for some seriously powerful jams.

They've become a little vanilla in their live samplings of songs. It's time for a little shake up.
    -PUSH ME AND I WILL RESIST!
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    I agree with 99.4 % of this post.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    SpencerSpencer Posts: 867
    pjbounce wrote:
    I'm calling troll.

None of that makes any of what he said any less valid, though. Who cares how many shows he's been to or not been to?!

Agree with you 110%, original poster dude; you've the nail on the head, etc.

ESPECIALLY on the shorter shows. Shorter shows = more intense shows, it's true - check out 2005.11.25: another short(ish) show but just an intense experience, not a dull second.
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    spencer wrote:
    None of that makes any of what he said any less valid, though. Who cares how many shows he's been to or not been to?!

Agree with you 110%, original poster dude; you've the nail on the head, etc.

ESPECIALLY on the shorter shows. Shorter shows = more intense shows, it's true - check out 2005.11.25: another short(ish) show but just an intense experience, not a dull second.

+ I think about 3% of all Ten club members use that touring fans website.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,640
    For the convience off all not wanting to sift through the OP's lengthy post, I have read between the lines and will summarize what he really wants to say to PJ:

1. "I want your songs to sound the same as they do on the album."

2. "Turn Mike up, unless he CAN'T play good for medical reasons, then I'll deal"

3. "Put stuffed suits, corporate whores and supermodels in the front rows, it doesn't matter if they are real fans, they'll LOOK better."

4. "You should ask me to write the setlists, I'll do a better job because I know what the real fans really want"

5. "I couldn't get a poster last tour so I'm bitter"

6. "Can we get this show over with, I need to be in bed by 10:30 or I'll be cranky in the morning. Oh and Ed, just shut up and sing, I get all the political and social information I need from Fox 5 news."
  • Options
    kh65kh65 Posts: 946
    I know there is some repetition in their shows. But I need to remind everyone that the "experiment" for the '03 Boston shows was not just the acoustic "pre-set". The reason for that was the curfew that venue imposes because of sound and neighbors (10 p.m.) so the band went on early. The reason was they were planing EVERY SONG they played that tour WITHOUT REPEATING any over the 3 nights. It was 105 songs and they needed to get them all in.

There I got that off my chest. :)
    "If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room."

Gambling=a taxation on stupidity.

Remember, you can walk anywhere, as long as you have the time.

http://www.ryanmontbleauband.com/

http://www.myspace.com/jessedee
  • Options
    zeroenvyzeroenvy Posts: 40
    Alot of the things he mentioned is part of the reason's i got so into pearl jam. Part of the reasons i'm excited to see them.. Sounds like you've seen them waay to many times and are getting bored.
    6/27/08!
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    I hate the original post with a white-hot passion.

Except for No. 5. I'm all for that.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    Problem solved...........

GO TO FEWER SHOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I took a ten year break from 98 to 07, saw the Europe shows and was blown away once again.

You have things to bitch about because youve been to way to many shows!

This is the key. go to fewer shows. Stop buying boots.

I've been to 14 shows since '95. I've heard Baba all of once. So it isn't overplayed to me. Just one example.

Also, during my 14th show, on the '06 tour, I heard songs from Ten and Vs. that I had never heard live before. How's that for mixing it up?
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    nowayimfaithfullnowayimfaithfull Posts: 2,051
    wow

How could I have missed this,
    2 things

1 You mentioned PJ snobs, they are out there, but easy to deal with, nothing a quick eye roll cant bear humor with, you on the other hand are an onnoxious snob, calling people out on their weight, wtf, you trashed the band. You put down every single thing the band does and "INSERT YOUR REQUEST" and expect changes?

2 You mentioned being half the age, and 99% of the fans on this board relating too. I hate to break it to you, but there really are only about 200 consistant users that frequent this board since the dreadfull 06 tour you trashed. I have met maybee 20, and convert with prob 20 more, and consistantly read about another 20'posts, and I can tell you maybee 5 people on this board put themselves on your obnoxious level. It would be a very loneley front row with your posey in it.

GET SOME HELP DUDE, FOGET ABOUT PEARL JAM, THAT IS FOR FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT, YOU NEED TO STRAIGHTEN YOUR JUDGEMENTS OUT AND ENJOY LIFE.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    chikevin wrote:
    admit i didn't read the entire post, but more of a skim and these are the two points that stood out to me most.
    as much as i love release as an opener and YL as the perfect closer, would be nice to vary things a bit. IMO, it's ed. he just can't move past that kinda stuf.
    additionally...you said shorter shows. that was as far as i needed to go. didn't read any further. we are blessed with longer shows from our favorite band.

i know...kinda simplistic views to your long post, but...what can i say...i'm 50/50 with ya in my response.

WELL IVE SEEN THEM OVER 30 TIMES AND THEY OPENED WITH RELEASE TWICE
    AS FAR AS LED, I JUST LEAVE EARLY

no more shows
  • Options
    cd21miller wrote:
    in some circles, your words might be considered blasphemy.

disagree -- play all night long. pretty sure 99% of the people on this board are going to say the same. 12-14 shows a year is what we get now? play the whole damn catalog. besides, i need the piss break on the RVM interlude between verses 2-3!

agree -- hey, ed...let's live a little. why couldn't release be a nice opener for the encore? how about a new fun cover like RITFW that would freshen things up a bit? i've always heard jeff talk about covering an old school AC/DC song...how much fun would that be?

agree -- give mike more juice. no way should that man be hidden.

no comment -- the whales? uhh... all i know is that i would be fat and happy, too if i was a front row guy all the time. ;-)

They do add covers, driven to tears, waiting on a friend, there were a few more, they have more covers than any band that plays out.
    mike had numerous solos in 06, he just chose to do them with inside job, and differant songs

no more shows
  • Options
    URthekey wrote:
    For the convience off all not wanting to sift through the OP's lengthy post, I have read between the lines and will summarize what he really wants to say to PJ:

1. "I want your songs to sound the same as they do on the album."

2. "Turn Mike up, unless he CAN'T play good for medical reasons, then I'll deal"

3. "Put stuffed suits, corporate whores and supermodels in the front rows, it doesn't matter if they are real fans, they'll LOOK better."

4. "You should ask me to write the setlists, I'll do a better job because I know what the real fans really want"

5. "I couldn't get a poster last tour so I'm bitter"

6. "Can we get this show over with, I need to be in bed by 10:30 or I'll be cranky in the morning. Oh and Ed, just shut up and sing, I get all the political and social information I need from Fox 5 news."

You hit the nail on the head my friend. It is all about "him", like the band is his trained monkey or something. Is he really a fan?

• Options
    i agree with pretty much everything here, except... shorter shows.

man pearl jam is a fantastic live band, and they've built up that reputation because of a great live prowess. if i'm going to see this band, i want to see as many songs as they can fit into 2 1/2 hours (or however long).

short shows are for opening acts, and old men.

and also... Lollapalooza was.... "embarassing" ?!?!?!???
    if you agree with everything he wrote than you would be lying by saying pj is a fantastic live band.

no more shows
  • Options
    brainofPJ wrote:
    "less whales..."

haha, wow...good stuff.

anyway, i would like to hear YL toward the end of the set, before the first encore.
    thats not good that is mean

no more shows
  • Options
    Fantastic post other than the shorter shows part. With everything else you hit the nail right on the head so hard there is blood coming out. What's also great about it is all the kiss ass apologists haven't started calling you an asshole (yet). Get ready for it, i'm sure once the sun comes up they will stop by to call you a jerk.

you really think putting people down making fun of them, and nitpicking a rock bands set when it varies pretty much more than any other band with decent catolougue is right on

if I thought like him I honestly wouldnt pay the band any attention, I used to be a big metalica fan, and stopped for some of his reasoning with pj.

he calls people elitist snobs, what is he?

he rips stone in 1 sentance and begs tio ave mike turned up, mike makes just as many mistakes.
    he pretty much ripped the band for being political, which is half the reason they do these min tours.

no more shows
  • Options
    lowbudgetlushlowbudgetlush Posts: 609
    a8l wrote:
    Things I would like to see for the '08 tour:

1. A more varied setlist OR a tighter show. We would all love the guys to rifle through the entire catalog over this tour, but that definitely hasn't happened the past two or so tours and I really don't expect it this go around. Yes, many "rare" songs have surfaced recently but the majority of the setlist has been redundant (in PJ terms obv.). So, if 95% of the show will be taken from the same pool of 30-40 songs, I don't think it is too much to expect for the band to be a tad tighter. I fully understand that they prefer to be "in the moment" and "play like Neil" but I think things were getting waaaay to sloppy (sloppy is a nice word for bad) for my taste in '06. A little (not alot) more rehearsal for my sixty bucks is all I am asking for. I love the fact that seemingly anything can happen "musically" at a PJ show, but that isn't what I am getting at. It isn't that Stone is going off on a musical tangent when he fucks up the chords to Hail, Hail... or when Ed forgets the words to (insert song here) that he is improvising.... it is just a bad performance. Again, not much, but just a little more polished would be nice. OR break every damn song out and never repeat a one all tour... and fuckup all you want :)

2. Turn Mike up! Not the mic, but Mike! I can't hear the guy live unless I plug my ears to drown out the drone. Turn him up....! I mean waaaay up. And in a side bar it would be great if McCready could revert to his '98-'02 form. (And yes I understand there might be factors outside of his control affecting his play, if that is the case I understand).

3. Less whales in the front rows. It has been discussed to death, but I just want to remind everyone how much it sucks to see the front 5 rows made up of the same people night in and night out. If you get to talking to them you quickly find out that the PJ tour kids are not kids anymore and actually have turned into PJ snobs(I know that sounds stupid, but believe me they are not the kind of fans that 99% of this board can relate to) and most of them that I meet pretty much losers in life. Less important reasons to move them to the back: They are stationary, they stink, they are ugly, they have been there before and act like they will be there again, they are older than the majority of the rest of the crowd.... and boy are they fat! Nothing wrong with fat people, but man when there is that many of one kind of people in one small space you take notice... and there are a ton of 40+, fat, white, females in the front rows at a PJ show.

4. Close the damn show with Alive, Porch or Betterman/SIFL. Free World and Baba are awesome, but getting to be predictable. Even the crapola country shows my wife drags me to bust out new closers every tour. If the boys can't come up with some new and exciting covers to close the show, what is so wrong with bringing down the house with the music we all came to hear? If the old stand byes are a must; Why not use Baba to close the first set, or have the first "fast one" of the night be RITFW???? Now that would be cool.

5. An invisible itch powder on the tour posters. I used to love those damn pieces of paper as much as the next guy... in fact my collection is prolly worth at least 5k (scary). BUT man, the current poster chasing crew deserves to die and itchy, scratchy, painful death.

6. Shorter shows. Yep, I said it... the shows are too long and looser than a well, a Bon Jovi groupie. Lolla, while not terribly long in actual songs played, drug on embarrassingly long. Leave the audience wanting more, not wanting a chair. A three hour marathon is awesome, but not so much when it is expected every night. I honestly remember my friends telling me last tour that they were "saving energy for the second encore". I am not looking for much cut off, but you want to know my favorite shows of the past few years??? The PJ opening for Petty shows where we got 18-20 songs... I was left feigning for more and all that was really cut out when you got down to it, was a BoomBoom Crazy Mary solo, an Ed ukulele fuckup fest, A political rant that has flip flopped more over the years than (insert politician) and the now expected brutal death of eight tambourines. Really, I toyed with putting this in my list and I am not 100% sure I am right, but I think cutting 20 minutes would actually be a good thing. And I'd hate to break it to you guys but by the next tour PJ may need a "bigger name" opener to help sell out the arenas. That addition will move the opener slot from a 45 minute set to a full hour, thus cutting the PJ set to closer to 120 minutes.

Disclosure: While this post is mostly for entertainment purposes only I do really believe everything I wrote; and I know I am right so there is no point in debating it :)

BUT

I would love to hear what you guys and gals would like to see/hear on the '08 tour.

I can't wait... see you at the FL shows, Bonna and MSG! (And prolly more, the 10c is due to announce the next leg now that everyone has their plane tickets for the first bunch!)

No offense but you sound like one of the "PJ Snobs" you reference in point # 3.
  • Options
    No offense but you sound like one of the "PJ Snobs" you reference in point # 3.

You are being too nice. You care if you offend him. :)

• Options
    Well this whole thread descibes why this board has changed. I for one do not realize why you guys go to these shows if you agree with the op. It would be a waste of time. Its only a rock band, if you really do not enjoy these shows to the extreme, why spend thousands traveling, why go to more than 1 show, pearl jam 2010, why would you fly all over the country namely hawaii, if you think they band is not tight, they do not vary their sets, and they make too many mistakes. It would seem like the appetite for a letdown.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but to call people whales, and than try to apologize for it by saying the less intelligent person.
    Why do peoples weight, and intelligane become an issue when they follow a rock baand, It is not rocket science or fashion modeling. Its an avenue to enjoy yourself. Thats it, I find it unrealistic that someone would go to a show, spend time on their measage board trying to change peoples views, or the bands traditions, it basically the same as you ripping Ed for his political persuavsiveness. People mention setlist variation,and than support closong with alive,porch,or betterman, whats the differance, they play those songs every night also.
    I read this whole thread, and I honestly dont get why half of you guys waste your time.
    sorry, maybee Im just an old fat whale, who has deaf ears, and blind eyes. I also never sit in the first 5 rows. Its about the music, and meeting fans alike.

no more shows
  • Options
    DiRtYyELLoWoCeAnDiRtYyELLoWoCeAn Medford, Ma Posts: 1,605
    Well this whole thread descibes why this board has changed. I for one do not realize why you guys go to these shows if you agree with the op. It would be a waste of time. Its only a rock band, if you really do not enjoy these shows to the extreme, why spend thousands traveling, why go to more than 1 show, pearl jam 2010, why would you fly all over the country namely hawaii, if you think they band is not tight, they do not vary their sets, and they make too many mistakes. It would seem like the appetite for a letdown.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but to call people whales, and than try to apologize for it by saying the less intelligent person.
    Why do peoples weight, and intelligane become an issue when they follow a rock baand, It is not rocket science or fashion modeling. Its an avenue to enjoy yourself. Thats it, I find it unrealistic that someone would go to a show, spend time on their measage board trying to change peoples views, or the bands traditions, it basically the same as you ripping Ed for his political persuavsiveness. People mention setlist variation,and than support closong with alive,porch,or betterman, whats the differance, they play those songs every night also.
    I read this whole thread, and I honestly dont get why half of you guys waste your time.
    sorry, maybee Im just an old fat whale, who has deaf ears, and blind eyes. I also never sit in the first 5 rows. Its about the music, and meeting fans alike.

Very well said! I couldnt agree more I am a fat whale too!
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• Options
    SDHSClassof82SDHSClassof82 Seattle Posts: 306
    Note to Self-

Prep for PJ tour:

1. Buy 10c tickets (if I'm lucky)
    2. Buy Plane tickets
    3. Book hotel and car rental
    4. Email PJ friends near cities with shows
    5. Donate merch to meet-up fundraisers
    6. Liposuction
    7. Buy turbo wrinkle cream and/or face lift
    8. Tanning salon
    9. Practice witty banter for chatting with arrogant young male *fans*.
    “Wind in my hair, I feel part of everywhere...
    Late at night I hear the trees, they're singing with the dead...overhead...”
  • Options
    Im sick and tired of hearing things
    From uptight, short-sighted, narrow-minded hypocritics
    All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    I got a sixteen gauge buried under my clothes, I play...

11/15/91 NY
    04/17/94 NY
    10/26/96 CT
    09/08/98 NJ
    09/10,11/98 NY
    08/25/00 NY
    10/01/04 PA
    05/27/06 NJ
    06/01/06 NJ
    06/03/06 NJ
    06/19/08 NJ
    06/24,25/08 NY