Options

Comments

• Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    I agree with differnet closers, but the shorter sets? No way. And as for the loose sets and the fuck ups? That is one of the best reasons to see them. It makes them human. Any one can go see a band that only plays the same 10-15 songs non stop. Tool, as an example, was awesome live, but they play the same show every night. I guess 75 shows exactly the same will make you that much tighter. You only need to see them once. If I paid $75-$80 and they were gone in 2 hours or less, i would be pissed.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    I agree with the OP on most points except the shorter show. I like the long shows. plus this tour we will get to see some different faces in the first two rows. and I also don't agree with describing people as "whales".

most of what I'd like to see changed up is up to the crowd. I'd like the shows to be a little less predictable and rocky horror picture show-like. frankly the first thing that has to go is the Alive yeah!s. It's like you feel obligated to do it. It's been fun in the past, but now I kinda feel like I'm at a frat party or something. Hearing the whole crowd sing betterman in unison was cool the first 10 times I experienced it, but now I think I'd rather hear ed sing it. I think in recent years with the crowd doing the same thing every night it's taken away from being a pearl jam show and more like a catholic mass of sorts.

I'd really like more rockers pulled out for the setlist. even though I like the long shows, I get kinda bored when they do that mid-set sitdown thing and play a lot of what I consider to be their lesser songs.

I am totally with the OP on the issue of not closing with RITFW/YLB at every show.
  • Options
    BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    For some reason I never get tired of hearing Ledbetter as the last song- it just feels right haha, but I'm very tired with RITFW right before it, they should switch that one up.
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,244
    Problem solved...........

GO TO FEWER SHOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I took a ten year break from 98 to 07, saw the Europe shows and was blown away once again.

You have things to bitch about because youve been to way to many shows!
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I agree with the OP on most points except the shorter show. I like the long shows. plus this tour we will get to see some different faces in the first two rows. and I also don't agree with describing people as "whales".

most of what I'd like to see changed up is up to the crowd. I'd like the shows to be a little less predictable and rocky horror picture show-like. frankly the first thing that has to go is the Alive yeah!s. It's like you feel obligated to do it. It's been fun in the past, but now I kinda feel like I'm at a frat party or something. Hearing the whole crowd sing betterman in unison was cool the first 10 times I experienced it, but now I think I'd rather hear ed sing it. I think in recent years with the crowd doing the same thing every night it's taken away from being a pearl jam show and more like a catholic mass of sorts.

I'd really like more rockers pulled out for the setlist. even though I like the long shows, I get kinda bored when they do that mid-set sitdown thing and play a lot of what I consider to be their lesser songs.

I am totally with the OP on the issue of not closing with RITFW/YLB at every show.

I assume you've seen dozens of Pearl Jam shows. I've never seen a single show, and I for one would love to take part in that crowd participation thing.
  • Options
    First.. between 25 and 30 songs a night is fine by me

Second.. 2006 was TIGHT. They seem to just be getting better & better. Listen to Ed's voice in 1995 @ Soldier Field.. or some of the 03 shows.. pretty rough. 2006 was the best I had heard them.

Third.. Im getting a little sick of RITFW, but Ledbetter is, and always, what should end a show. Its the cigarette after sex. If anyone remembers correctly, they closed with Indifference in 06 in NJ and people didn't like that, something felt like it was missing (Ledbetter)

Fourth.. anyone who has to come on a message board to bash other people (other PJ fans, at that) is probably an ugly, stinky loser at life... yes, OP, im talking to you.
    2004 - 10/1, 10/11
    2005 - 9/15, 9/16, 9/30, 10/1, 10/3
    2006 - 5/5, 5/12, 5/13, 5/27, 5/28, 5/30, 6/1, 6/3, 6/23, 7/22, 7/23, 12/2
    2007 - 6/27, 8/3
    2008 - 6/14, 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/24, 6/25, 6/27, 6/28, 6/30, 7/1
  • Options
    teskeincteskeinc Posts: 836
    I like the length of the set lists, I love walking out sweaty and tired but with a huge smile on my face. I usually do 2-3 shows a tour in a row and seem to get a fairly good mix. If you do 7-10 shows of course you may get tired a bit from the "staples" in the set list but thats how it is.

I have seen "the whales" and its not pretty, you can't stop them. They like Pearl Jam as much as a 2 for 1 buffet coupon. You can only hope to contain them behind the 2nd row for now. Its kind of a trade off, yeah I'd like 18-25 y/o hotties around but then they are talking or texting all night and when you have alot of hotties they are quickly followed by the frat boy types. So I guess you are screwed either way.

Best to sit back , relax and enjoy a helluva show.
    1994 : Memphis 1995 : New Orleans 1996 : Seattle
    1998 : St Louis, Birmingham, Knoxville
    2000 : Memphis, Nashville, St Louis
    2003 : Irvine 1+2, Vegas, Bridge School 1+2, Santa Barbara
    2005 : Missoula, Vancouver, Gorge 2006 : LA 1+2, Vegas
    2008 : W Palm Beach, Tampa, Who Rock Honors, EV LA 2
    2009 : LA 1, LA 4, EV 1 Nashville 2011 : EV Long Beach
    2012: EV Vegas 1+2
    2013 LA 1+2 2018 Prague, Wrigley 2
    2020 Phoenix, SD

• Options
    bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    Shorter shows? I should put you on my ignore list for such a statement.
    But I won't. You bring up some good points...except for the shorter show statement...and closing with Ledbetter needs to stay. It's just a must! It's how the band (Mike especially) says goodbye. Maybe for the cities with two shows..they could skip Ledbetter for the first night..because it's not really saying goodbye ;). Just a thought.
  • Options
    gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    I think you made a good post. I agree with the band getting just a tad bit tighter. Mike especially on his solos, at least in 06, haven't listened to any boots past that.

And have fun to those going to shows this year.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • Options
    RockMamaRockMama Deep Creek Lake, MD Posts: 478
    teskeinc wrote:
    I like the length of the set lists, I love walking out sweaty and tired but with a huge smile on my face. I usually do 2-3 shows a tour in a row and seem to get a fairly good mix. If you do 7-10 shows of course you may get tired a bit from the "staples" in the set list but thats how it is.

I have seen "the whales" and its not pretty, you can't stop them. They like Pearl Jam as much as a 2 for 1 buffet coupon. You can only hope to contain them behind the 2nd row for now. Its kind of a trade off, yeah I'd like 18-25 y/o hotties around but then they are talking or texting all night and when you have alot of hotties they are quickly followed by the frat boy types. So I guess you are screwed either way.

Best to sit back , relax and enjoy a helluva show.

Are you guys paying for a ticket so you can hear Pearl Jam or for the privelege of checking out the other audience members??
    107 total First-Summerfest, Milwaukee '95
    Most recent: 2018 Stadium shows: Seattle 2, Missoula, Fenway 1 and 2; 2022: Oakland 1 and 2
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    I'd just like to see the mirrorball come down for Wishlist again. I miss that. :)
  • Options
    Big EdBig Ed Posts: 331
    Thats just dumb.
    Also, I really doubt most people care how much the average fan weighs. Who would even notice....or be so concerned about such a thing to bring it up on a message board? I guess skinny, self-absorbed snobs would.
    Ignoring Rusted Signs
  • Options
    teskeinc wrote:

I'm tired of a bunch of shallow jackasses who judge complete strangers on their looks ruining pearl jam shows.
  • Options
    Big EdBig Ed Posts: 331
    Amen, GreenTeaDisease.
    (Great name by the way...the cool word play shows you must be very intelligent & creative.)
    Ignoring Rusted Signs
  • Options
    ballbagballbag Posts: 69
    I'd just like to see the mirrorball come down for Wishlist again. I miss that. :)

/\
  • Options
    BinGnarlyBinGnarly Posts: 508
    you've got mental problems man...yeah mental problems man.
    Shows:
    San Diego 2003
    Grand Rapids 2004
    Grand Rapids 2006
    Detroit 2006
    Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    a8l wrote:

6. Shorter shows.

you're an idiot ;)
  • Options
    FatalFatal Posts: 821
    I can't say that i agree with all your points, but you get credit for being entertaining!
    Shows: Montreal 98, Barrie 98, Montreal 00, Montreal 03, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Toronto 06, Vancouver Night 1 08 (EV), Vancouver Night 2 08 (EV), MSG1 08, MSG2 08, Montreal Night 2 08 (EV), Toronto Night 1 08 (EV), Toronto 09, Hartford 11 (EV), Ottawa 11, Ottawa 16, Ottawa 22.

• Options
    kh65kh65 Posts: 946
    How the fuck old are you if you want a shorter show?! Do you have a curfew at the retirement home or something?

I have a good idea... if you don't go to the show someone else can move closer to the stage. :)

It would be funny to see what would happen, how many people would leave, if they moved YL up to the first encore.
    "If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room."

Gambling=a taxation on stupidity.

Remember, you can walk anywhere, as long as you have the time.

http://www.ryanmontbleauband.com/

http://www.myspace.com/jessedee
  • Options
    kh65kh65 Posts: 946
    I finally got to the first row on the last tour. I've been in 10c since '93 and I appreciate every minute that I have been within the first 3 rows. Another reason why I would never give up my membership.
    "If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room."

Gambling=a taxation on stupidity.

Remember, you can walk anywhere, as long as you have the time.

http://www.ryanmontbleauband.com/

http://www.myspace.com/jessedee
  • Options
    pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Shillington, PA/Tuckerton, NJ Posts: 3,428
    mr bungle wrote:
    Holly fuck!!!!! A good old fassion opus. Wow we don't get enough of these around here now days. Very well written and yes entertaining while i don't agree with all of it i'll give you credit for some much needed respectful ribbing. Cheers

i agree--i liked the OP, thought-out, well written and fun to read. some valid points, too.
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • Options
    DP13DP13 Posts: 269
    On #1. Most agreed with me, if the setlist isn't going to vary like it used to, at least tighten things up a bit. Again, I am not against improvisation, but I am against fuckupisation.

#2 Everyone agrees: TURN MIKE UP IN THE MIX. Please.

#3 I didn't mention YL because we generally get another "closer" before or after... but yea, most agree that RIFW and BABA need days off, or another spot in the set. I did also really like the anti Rocky Horror statements, it used to be cool but the Hitleresque fist pumping starts nowdays when Stone strums the first chord in Alive. I will personally refrain from all Rocky Horror this tour, outside of maybe counting off the intro to Animal, that is just too fun.

#4 The less intelligent members of this forum ignored most of this point and only focused on me calling people fat.

So let me explain it a little better:

On any given night, maybe 50% of the front 10 rows is made up of the same people as the last night, and the night before, and the night before.

Most of these people basically suck. It is hard to explain but they pretty much are interested in going to these shows for weird ass shit that most fans, even diehards wouldn't understand and prolly find crazy.

I used to, maybe/kinda/sorta be on the outskirts of this group... they would have been called tour kids back in the day. I am glad I am no longer!

I began calling this group of people: whales, FOR MANY REASONS. The main reason being that many of them are extremely overweight, forty something, females.

Not all forty something females with more cushion for the pushin' suck. Just these whales in particular, and when you get that many losers in one spot that all share the same characteristics, it is hard not to notice. That is all on that one.

#5 No one cares.

Finally on #6: I knew this one would be the idea that most had a problem with. I should have just left it off... but all I am saying is that the 20 song PJ/Petty shows were, tight, exciting, and made me hop in my car and drive to the next show regardless if I had previously planned to or not. I think that PJ can shave some time off the show by cutting out an Ed uke solo, cut the 8 minute Crazy Mary experience out of the first encore, and cut the actual second encore break. That is 15 or 20 minutes and there you go. Go see a young but nationally known live act, at a club. They will tear through a 60 minute set leaving you wanting more.... and that is not a bad thing. Ok, forget it, I just changed my mind, I want more Boom organ solos, an entire truckload of tambourines destroyed and carefully distributed and fuck it, lets go for 4 hours.

To all those that disagreed with me, you are wrong.

To those that are upset that I am critiquing a rock band, I completely agree, but 5h and their "reviews" of every show made me really learn to nitpick. You can blame them :)

To the guy that said I am an old, stinky loser myself,: I am 26, rich as shit, in life and love and I shower daily. Tour whales do not!

Peace!
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    a8l wrote:
    Things I would like to see for the '08 tour:

2. Turn Mike up! Not the mic, but Mike!
    HELL YES!!!!!! :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    After all these years of lurking and reading the same boring ass, whiney posts every single day! I've finally found a thread that I can't let go without giving you a pat on the back and some much deserved respect. You have managed to sum up my sentiments exactly on almost all accounts relating to a PJ show.

The only thing missing was a rant about the 10c ticket line temper tantrum dance that is so dramatically performed after each member recieves their "terrible" tickets and are "sooooo dissapointed" that they aren't closer to the stage.

Anyway, you fucking nailed it!! Everything...especially on the whales, imagine how sick the band is of seeing these people every single night! I'm sure the decision to mix up rows 1-2 was definetly decided because of that. I've met a few of them at shows and you're right, they're just pretty lame people...it's kinda sad actually.

Keep on keeping it real....and thanks again
  • Options
    DP13DP13 Posts: 269
    After all these years of lurking and reading the same boring ass, whiney posts every single day! I've finally found a thread that I can't let go without giving you a pat on the back and some much deserved respect. You have managed to sum up my sentiments exactly on almost all accounts relating to a PJ show.

The only thing missing was a rant about the 10c ticket line temper tantrum dance that is so dramatically performed after each member recieves their "terrible" tickets and are "sooooo dissapointed" that they aren't closer to the stage.

Anyway, you fucking nailed it!! Everything...especially on the whales, imagine how sick the band is of seeing these people every single night! I'm sure the decision to mix up rows 1-2 was definetly decided because of that. I've met a few of them at shows and you're right, they're just pretty lame people...it's kinda sad actually.

Keep on keeping it real....and thanks again

^ not my mom... i swear to God!!!!!

Thanks for the kind words!

My favorite 10c ticket line moment is when people who already have their tickets cut back in front of everyone in line to tell the clerk at the window that there has been a mistake... that they deserve better tickets.

My number is as good as anyone in their mid 20s is gonna have unless they joined in diapers; and I don't think I would even remotely have the balls to go back and say that I should be more like row 12, not row 22. Hullllarious. Yet it happens at least once everytime I am near the line.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    lolla drug on

wow

wow

they were late to the stage and cut it a bit short'

what show were you at.

shorter shows? They are not the ramones or some punk act.
    LONGER SHOWS PLEASE

but I agree that there is a core group of songs Id like to see retired, or at least played less often
    crazy mary
    alive
    jeremy
    black
    Id add Daughter and Betterman, but the tags rock too much
    corduroy

I think what the 10c did is a perfect compromise as far as seniority goes.
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    the 00 boots are alot better, the band was finally a band and it showed, the europe leg of 00 is better then 06 by a mile.

oh i agree...

the Binaural Tour was kick ass...can't believe i made it to only one show...

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    a8l wrote:
    My favorite 10c ticket line moment is when people who already have their tickets cut back in front of everyone in line to tell the clerk at the window that there has been a mistake... that they deserve better tickets.

are you serious?

who the hell do these people think they are?

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    upina2001upina2001 Indiana Posts: 764
    not that i agree with you 100%, but I totally get what you are saying.

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• Options
    gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    So, if 95% of the show will be taken from the same pool of 30-40 songs

I don't know dude maybe you went to crappy shows.
    I went to (7) shows in 2006 and heard (80) different songs.
    That's mixing it up quite a bit.