Red Hot Chili Peppers

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,188
    Dark syyyyde of the moon! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,994
    Just reading through the thread this past few days and quite a few people hold By the Way in high esteem! Just wondering what it is specifically about that record that has it sitting atop of their best albums!? What makes it a better album in your eyes than say Stadium, Californication and BSSM. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,258
    I think The Getaway is one of their best albums. 

I still have Mothers Milk on cassette.  I think it is the only cassette I held onto for some reason.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that really liked The Getaway. Some great stuff on there. Didn't care for the I'm With You album at all but The Getaway was great.

Wonder will they play anything from those albums live moving forward, or will they do a "One Hot Minute" on it and ignore them for years.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,258
    Just reading through the thread this past few days and quite a few people hold By the Way in high esteem! Just wondering what it is specifically about that record that has it sitting atop of their best albums!? What makes it a better album in your eyes than say Stadium, Californication and BSSM. 
    It's just an "all killer, no filler" album for me. The only track i'd consider skipping is Throw Away Your Television. I don't feel like that about Stadium Arcadium or Californication at all.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,881
    Californication has some killer tracks but some filler. SA could be their best album with some editing but I’m honestly happy they released it as is. By the way is just so consistently good from top to bottom and it just makes me feel happy. It’s got a great vibe throughout. 

BSSM is a classic but I prefer the sound they adopted from californication on. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,903
    I wasn't aware anyone shit on By The Way. That's one of, if not, my favourite Chili's album. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I'd say By The Way and Californication are my two most-played chilis albums. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,388
    I'd say By The Way and Californication are my two most-played chilis albums. 
    Mine as well
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    I wasn't aware anyone shit on By The Way. That's one of, if not, my favourite Chili's album. 
    It's old anecdotal evidence from when I worked in a record store during its release. More times than not people that I would chat with said they disliked it based on hearing By The Way and a few other tracks, including some spicy comments from a Warner rep, who shared that his team 'hated' the new record. *Disclaimer, this coming from people who live in a city who booed Santa Claus. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,652
    I don’t like the song “by the way” but that was a great album as a whole.  

• Options
    I think my favourite records are ones that seem to capture the zeitgeist of a certain time - By The Way is a perfect example for me. Rock music was still exciting back then, the release of a new music video still felt exciting. It came off the back of Californication, which was a very different yet very solid record for them, but to me, By The Way took that formula and improved on it. Every song felt deliberate, like they had really focussed on every melody, every chorus, every guitar sound. I also think it's sequenced brilliantly, which is no mean feat when none of the songs really sound alike. 

I'm actually revisiting Stadium Arcadium at the moment, I think the length of it overwhelmed me at the time, and over the years I've just played the same two or three songs. However, I've discovered a few gems I've been missing out on, like Charlie, Especially in Michigan and Wet Sand.
  • Options
    I think my favourite records are ones that seem to capture the zeitgeist of a certain time - By The Way is a perfect example for me. Rock music was still exciting back then, the release of a new music video still felt exciting. It came off the back of Californication, which was a very different yet very solid record for them, but to me, By The Way took that formula and improved on it. Every song felt deliberate, like they had really focussed on every melody, every chorus, every guitar sound. I also think it's sequenced brilliantly, which is no mean feat when none of the songs really sound alike. 

I'm actually revisiting Stadium Arcadium at the moment, I think the length of it overwhelmed me at the time, and over the years I've just played the same two or three songs. However, I've discovered a few gems I've been missing out on, like Charlie, Especially in Michigan and Wet Sand.
    Stadium Arcadium had that affect on me too...the same way the Pumpkins' Mellon Collie had....too many songs to just sit and take in. I may sound like a broken record here, but this is why I was so excited about Billy's Teargarden project. One song every six weeks. Really allowed for the full appreciation of every track. A double album just seems so daunting, especially if you just don't have the time to sit for two + hours on multiple occasions and just digest.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

Stadium Arcadium had that affect on me too...the same way the Pumpkins' Mellon Collie had....too many songs to just sit and take in. I may sound like a broken record here, but this is why I was so excited about Billy's Teargarden project. One song every six weeks. Really allowed for the full appreciation of every track. A double album just seems so daunting, especially if you just don't have the time to sit for two + hours on multiple occasions and just digest.
    "Wet Sand" is a goddamn beast of a song.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:

Agreed. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    dankind said:

I really need to go back and really revisit both those double albums. Back when Mellon Collie came out, I'll admit, I was more of a casual listener unless the band was one of my favourites. I loved all of SP's hits, but didn't listen too deeply. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dankind said:

I really need to go back and really revisit both those double albums. Back when Mellon Collie came out, I'll admit, I was more of a casual listener unless the band was one of my favourites. I loved all of SP's hits, but didn't listen too deeply. 
    Just picked up the Stadium 4LP reissue for $50 from Plaid Room about a month ago. They get random shipments of em' - subscribe to their newsletter and every Thursday evening it is sent out with new releases and restocks. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    dankind said:

Just picked up the Stadium 4LP reissue for $50 from Plaid Room about a month ago. They get random shipments of em' - subscribe to their newsletter and every Thursday evening it is sent out with new releases and restocks. 
    Just waiting for that email!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    dankind said:

$44.99 to be exact! Make sure to scroll to the bottom of the e-mail, that's where the alphabetical restock lists are. Sometimes they list damaged stock for less $
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    dankind said:

$44.99 to be exact! Make sure to scroll to the bottom of the e-mail, that's where the alphabetical restock lists are. Sometimes they list damaged stock for less $
     :o 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,299
    dankind said:

Same for me with Melon Collie. I think it was just a few years ago I actually listened to the whole album and was like, wow, I missed some great songs over the years. Pretty solid overall, but at the time it came out, I just wanted Zero, 1979 and Bullet w/ Butterfly. Some other good mid-tempo and heavy tracks in there as well as the softer songs.

Anyway, By The Way is one of my favorite RHCP albums. Zephyr Song is fantastic. I loved The Getaway. Great album. I think I got annoyed with Californication because Scar Tissue was overplayed. I would say my top albums from them are BTW, The Getaway and BSSM. I like a lot of songs on both SA and Cali. but there's a lot I don't care for on both. Personally, Hard to Concentrate is one of my favorites off SA.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,299
    I wasn't that thrilled about the new single when I first heard it, but after 5 listens, I'm digging it more. I can understand the annoyance with the vocals, but it's not too far off from some of Kiedis' other musical cadences and delivery. It does sound a bit sea shanty-ish at first, but the chorus is really solid and the solo is great. A good single to release as the follow-up to The Getaway because the sound and flow of the song feels familiar, but fresh and new at the same time.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    dankind said:

Wow! I’m looking for that one here in Australia. Melbourne ideally. Records here are so expensive. But I’ll keep scouring the stores and online. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options

It's a tricky one, though I think it probably depends on what your expectations are for a record and how hyped you are for it. I was a massive Siamese Dream fan, by the time Mellon Collie came out I don't think I could have been more excited, so I didn't have any problem taking it all in. For me, I think Mellon Collie is the epitome of a zeitgeist record, which is kind of funny for a band that later chose to release a record called Zeitgeist! Somehow, despite the huge range of styles, the songs all seem to fit together perfectly, add to that the amazing artwork and iconic music videos......Whilst a song released every six weeks might give you time to take it all in, it kind of lacks the impact that an amazing collection of songs can have.
  • Options
    I was marginally interested in the Pumpkins with Siamese Dream. I mean, I think I was aware of them, but not that much. I think Mellon was probably the first record I picked up by them, so I knew the singles. Although my memory of the early 90's is foggy at best. lol. I guess part of it was also there was so much amazing music at that time, it was hard to take it all in. it's so much easier now (at least for me). 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I was marginally interested in the Pumpkins with Siamese Dream. I mean, I think I was aware of them, but not that much. I think Mellon was probably the first record I picked up by them, so I knew the singles. Although my memory of the early 90's is foggy at best. lol. I guess part of it was also there was so much amazing music at that time, it was hard to take it all in. it's so much easier now (at least for me). 
    Yeah, couldn't agree more with your last point!
  • Options
    All this talk has me motivated to edit Stadium Arcadium into what I think would be their best album. 14 is realistic for a typical chilis album track list. 
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,326
    I got into RHCP because an older cousin had a copy of Uplift Mofo. I haven’t listened to anything pre-BSSM for years through as I much prefer their sound now.
    I found it hard to get into Stadium Arcadium at first as well, there was just so much of it! I love it now, but it’s probably still one of my least-played albums that I love, if that makes sense.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    All this talk has me motivated to edit Stadium Arcadium into what I think would be their best album. 14 is realistic for a typical chilis album track list. 
    Ooo!! Share when you do! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    nicknyr15 said:
    Yep, I think I need to do this too! It is my favourite album of theirs but it would’ve made an absolute killer of a 14-16 track record. 
    Post edited by BrainofBGA on
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    Yep, I think I need to do this too! It is my favourite album of theirs but it would’ve made an absolute killer of a 14-16 track record. 
    I’m still working on it. Not easy at all. What are we doing, 14 or 16?