Red Hot Chili Peppers

Comments

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    Did Josh make a few appearances on John's 'Shadows Collide With People' record? I haven't listened to it in awhile, I keep thinking his voice is in there somewhere.
    Yeah, he sings lead on 'Omission.' Josh is on quite a few of John's solo records - Shadows, The Will To Death, Inside of Emptiness and I think The Empyrean as well. Pretty much playing whatever John's not doing at the time!

I've always thought it was kinda cool that RHCP got a "John-approved" replacement when he left. It would be great if Josh and John recorded together again sometime; I guess it depends on which direction John is heading next.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    goldrush said:
    Did Josh make a few appearances on John's 'Shadows Collide With People' record? I haven't listened to it in awhile, I keep thinking his voice is in there somewhere.
    Yeah, he sings lead on 'Omission.' Josh is on quite a few of John's solo records - Shadows, The Will To Death, Inside of Emptiness and I think The Empyrean as well. Pretty much playing whatever John's not doing at the time!

I've always thought it was kinda cool that RHCP got a "John-approved" replacement when he left. It would be great if Josh and John recorded together again sometime; I guess it depends on which direction John is heading next.
    Ditto that last comment...how amazing that your replacement can tour and even "intern" with you a bit before you leave.....  And Josh has his own little funky style going on.  I feel he's settling in, has unleashed a bit, but I feel he is gaining confidence which will catapult him into an epic wave of creativity that will drive this band into another dimension and I can't wait.

I personally enjoy John a little more when he is reigned in a bit. He's such an amazing creative genius... "move around like a scientist, lay down, get kissed" ...Come on, those lyrics have to be about him, he's a mad scientist. I can appreciate  and with a little time really dig his private works... I can PBX Funicular Intaglio Zone with the best of them but damn please give me some organic guitar.... reign him in a bit with an actual live band... RHCP or maybe something else and he thrives in my opinion.
    goldrush said:

Ditto that last comment...how amazing that your replacement can tour and even "intern" with you a bit before you leave.....  And Josh has his own little funky style going on.  I feel he's settling in, has unleashed a bit, but I feel he is gaining confidence which will catapult him into an epic wave of creativity that will drive this band into another dimension and I can't wait.

I personally enjoy John a little more when he is reigned in a bit. He's such an amazing creative genius... "move around like a scientist, lay down, get kissed" ...Come on, those lyrics have to be about him, he's a mad scientist. I can appreciate  and with a little time really dig his private works... I can PBX Funicular Intaglio Zone with the best of them but damn please give me some organic guitar.... reign him in a bit with an actual live band... RHCP or maybe something else and he thrives in my opinion.
    I totally agree with you. He's pretty much given up on guitars though hasn't he? Or at least rock music and performing in a band. Which is criminal, because he's way above a lot of what's out there today. His electronic stuff is good, but we need him with a guitar in his hand!

(Tim Rogers)
    ^Exactly!!  And if I'm not mistaken I believe he played some sort of computerized synthesized guitar on PBXFIZ at one point. Maybe on Ratiug? I can't remember, but that's what I meant by bring back the organic guitar. His electronic stuff is wayyy out there, but it's still kinda cool and grew on me after a certain point. The few times you can actually hear his vocals on the album are a bit reminiscent of Kurt Cobain to me.  Kinda wild.  But yes, please put a guitar back into this genius mad scientist's hands!!
  • I've always had this feeling that someday John will come back again. He just has so many interests and feels he can express himself differently in so many ways, across so many instruments and media. But he's not afraid of completely changing course when something new strikes him, as we've seen throughout his career. I feel like at some point, he'll have enough distance removed from being a RHCP and a massive touring band and he'll find his way back, at least to record with them.

If that happens, I think it would be cool to allow both him and Josh to do different things - keyboard, synth, play bass and let Flea grab a trumpet, etc. The stuff that I'd enjoy most would of course be some dueling guitars, but John might be more fulfilled with an extended leash and freedom of creativity, and you still wouldn't lose the 'sound' of chili pepper guitar on any song. It would also allow them to pull off some cool things in their live show to expand the guitar multi-tracking in much of the past catalog (not that it was missing before, because John's lead was always so captivating live and Flea holds the rhythm melody so well). I would think this could really inspire a change in course or a fun new direction for the band.

Maybe it's a pipedream, but it's a fun thought exercise. It builds on the niche that Josh has created for himself while allowing John to lead the band again. Obviously how the band feels and writes is the most important thing, but what fan (new or old) wouldn't be satisfied with this?

• Mikemzl91Mikemzl91 Posts: 484
    Gong Li might be there best song!!
  • So I finally got around to downloading the bootleg of the show I saw in 2017. Granted, I have never really listened to their live stuff on youtube or anywhere... but this is less than amazing. In the moment that night everything sounded fucking great. But now hearing it, maybe half of the songs even sound like Anthony. Is this typical? Did his live voice see a change at some point or has it always been quite different than the studio? 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • So I finally got around to downloading the bootleg of the show I saw in 2017. Granted, I have never really listened to their live stuff on youtube or anywhere... but this is less than amazing. In the moment that night everything sounded fucking great. But now hearing it, maybe half of the songs even sound like Anthony. Is this typical? Did his live voice see a change at some point or has it always been quite different than the studio? 
    I find the bootlegs rarely do the ‘moment’ justice.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,148
    John Frusciante is back with the Chili Peppers
    I miss igotid88
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,148

I miss igotid88
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    Insane! Can’t wait to see what 2020 had in store for the band. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Weird they couldn't have split that up into two posts. And had like atleast a week between them
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    epic,,ill see them next june 
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    They haven't really put out a good album since he left.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • chadaw76chadaw76 Indianapolis Posts: 289
    This is great fucking news! So many exciting things happening in 2020!
    2000: Noblesville, IN
    2010: Noblesville, IN
    2011: PJ20 Night 1
    2013: Wrigley Field, Baltimore
    2014: St. Louis
    2016: Lexington, Fenway I, Wrigley I, Temple of the Dog - NYC
    2017: EV solo - Louisville
    2018: Wrigley 1
    2022: St. Louis
    2023: Austin 1 & 2
    2024: Vegas 1, Noblesville, IN
  • Omg 2020! It will be one to remember!
    06/06/17 - Eddie Vedder - Hammersmith Apollo - London /////  09/06/17 - Eddie Vedder - 3Arena - Dublin ///// 19/06/18 - Pearl Jam - O2 - London ////// 10/07/18 - Pearl Jam - Palau Sant Jordi - Barcelona ////// 12/07/18 - Pearl Jam - Mad Cool Festival - Madrid ////// 14/07/18 -Pearl Jam - NOS Alive Festival - Lisbon
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    man, froosh sure takes those guys for a ride. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    Great news. Anything that gets a guitar back in the hands of John Frusciante is good with me. He's one of the very best.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Well Christmas came early this year...
  • Well Christmas came early this year...
    Isn't that the end joke in The World is Not Enough when Bond has had sex with the character Christmas Jones?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,640
    Wow. So excited for the next release. 
    Edved82 said:
    Great news. Anything that gets a guitar back in the hands of John Frusciante is good with me. He's one of the very best.
    This. 100% of this.

(Tim Rogers)
  • Good news I guess. It did feel like Josh hit his stride with the Getaway, so I was excited for the next one with him because I love that album. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Exciting news. I look forward to their next album.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Good news I guess. It did feel like Josh hit his stride with the Getaway, so I was excited for the next one with him because I love that album. 
    Agreed. Really good album.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    how many times is he going to quit the band, and when will the peppers learn? it's like a shitty girlfriend and they keep taking her back. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• how many times is he going to quit the band, and when will the peppers learn? it's like a shitty girlfriend and they keep taking her back. 
    Whenever he needs money.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    My fav guitar player ever
    My fav guitar player ever
    Mine too. FRUFEST!!!!!!