Options

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Comments

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    My fav guitar player ever
    Mine too. FRUFEST!!!!!!

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,715
    how many times is he going to quit the band, and when will the peppers learn? it's like a shitty girlfriend and they keep taking her back. 
    I hear ya but they have a history and besides being one of the best guitarists , he also an amazing song writer. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,817
    nicknyr15 said:
    how many times is he going to quit the band, and when will the peppers learn? it's like a shitty girlfriend and they keep taking her back. 
    I hear ya but they have a history and besides being one of the best guitarists , he also an amazing song writer. 
    i get that. but how can they trust he won't quit in a week? or in mid tour? obviously I'm not them, have zero inside info, so they are obviously doing what is right for them, but the optics are a head scratcher for me. 

that being said, I am really looking forward to the next record. :lol:
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Glad to have an excuse to use my favorite gif ever!
  • Options
    pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    tbergs said:
    Good news I guess. It did feel like Josh hit his stride with the Getaway, so I was excited for the next one with him because I love that album. 
    Agreed. Really good album.
    I did like that album too.
  • Options
    kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    YES YES YES YES YES YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rock_on: 

• Options
    It's like Christmas has come early
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217

Glad to have an excuse to use my favorite gif ever!
    Awww yeah !!! :heart:  ^^ & then there's thisss.... not a gif but one of the most beautiful Flea/JFru solos ever IMO.

https://youtu.be/n1bKGaj71aw
  • Options
    My fav guitar player ever
    Mine too. FRUFEST!!!!!!

Yess! Too f'n cool and can't forget his incredibly melodic harmonies that go hand n hand with all his funk-da-fied shredding.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Anything that stops him from putting out more solo garbage is good with me. 
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,284
    With John they are just a better band period that can’t be denied can’t wait to see them again! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Just looked into Boston Calling tickets: $300 for GA. Yikes! And that price is only going to go up once more acts are announced.

Guess I'm traveling.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,058
    edited December 2019
    dankind said:
    Just looked into Boston Calling tickets: $300 for GA. Yikes! And that price is only going to go up once more acts are announced.

Guess I'm traveling.
    That's for the whole weekend. They'll put up single day passes eventually.

Just checked and single days last year were $119.
    Post edited by pjl44 on
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    dankind said:

Guess I'm traveling.

That could work if there are any other bands I want to see on Frusciante day; otherwise, that's still a hefty price to pay for basically a lawn seat. VIPs get the good views for $700!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220
    Yeah only go on RHCP day and maybe RATM day (if we keep saying it maybe it happens) and skip Foo day.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,058
    dankind said:
    pjl44 said:
    dankind said:

Guess I'm traveling.

That could work if there are any other bands I want to see on Frusciante day; otherwise, that's still a hefty price to pay for basically a lawn seat. VIPs get the good views for $700!
    Yeah, totally agree. We went the Tool year and hoooooooo boy does that setup suck. My wife really wants to see them, so I'm hoping some headlining dates get added somewhere. 
  • Options

• Options

I've always had this feeling that someday John will come back again. He just has so many interests and feels he can express himself differently in so many ways, across so many instruments and media. But he's not afraid of completely changing course when something new strikes him, as we've seen throughout his career. I feel like at some point, he'll have enough distance removed from being a RHCP and a massive touring band and he'll find his way back, at least to record with them.

If that happens, I think it would be cool to allow both him and Josh to do different things - keyboard, synth, play bass and let Flea grab a trumpet, etc. The stuff that I'd enjoy most would of course be some dueling guitars, but John might be more fulfilled with an extended leash and freedom of creativity, and you still wouldn't lose the 'sound' of chili pepper guitar on any song. It would also allow them to pull off some cool things in their live show to expand the guitar multi-tracking in much of the past catalog (not that it was missing before, because John's lead was always so captivating live and Flea holds the rhythm melody so well). I would think this could really inspire a change in course or a fun new direction for the band.

Maybe it's a pipedream, but it's a fun thought exercise. It builds on the niche that Josh has created for himself while allowing John to lead the band again. Obviously how the band feels and writes is the most important thing, but what fan (new or old) wouldn't be satisfied with this?

So I wrote this on this very forum a little over 2 years ago. Now, the only thing that surprises me more than John coming back is Josh’s leaving. I actually thought he was just starting to find a niche for himself. Really surprised they wouldn’t at least experiment with having them both in the band for a while. Maybe the band was open to it, but Josh wasn’t interested. I’ll be very curious to hear more about this in the coming months. But it definitely makes me think that there were other issues with the band dynamic - chemistry, communication, etc. and that this isn’t a simple matter of “John is ready to come back so bye, Josh”. Who knows! Maybe Josh, himself, was just done. 

As a long-time fan of this band, but more of a John fan than anything, I’m most excited about getting to see them live again. But I also feel like the possibilities for their new music are pretty much endless. Part of my love for John and his guitar playing, as a case study, is that his evolution as a player is truly fascinating. No one album, band or solo or otherwise, sounds alike. First joins RHCP as a teenage fan of the band and guitar prodigy. Reaches the top, only to fall, nearly losing his arms and losing (or abandoning) his technique in the process - represented at least in Ott on Niandra and Smile. Still, survives and makes it back to reinvent himself completely, focusing more on simplicity, harmony, songwriting and melody. And even from 2002-03, when many had already put him back on the guitar playing Mt. Rushmore, he continued to improve (I actually think that 2004 to 06-07 represents the most growth of his entire career). And even though he wasn’t fulfilled by their touring and performance by 2007 and ultimately left again, his playing was NEVER better. 

So, considering the trajectory that he was on when he last left the band, then producing the Empyrean (masterpiece) and all the ways he has experimented with electronic music and fusions since then, there is simply no telling exactly where they pick back up and what type of contribution he’ll want to make. All I know is, I am really eager to find out. 
  • Options
    Mikemzl91Mikemzl91 Posts: 484
    edited December 2019
    @whoanelly15

I agree with everything you said.
    I think this past Australian tour was their best work with Josh. The setlists were even a song or two longer then previous shows. They had come so far from when they started with him, those 2011-12 shows were tough to listen to. 
    And yes The Empyrean is a masterpiece.
    Very exciting to see what happens...
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,817
    just don't add electonica to the chilis and I'm on board. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    I'm beyond hyped now that John's back. I liked all the Josh stuff, but Frusciante takes RHCP into the ether. Hope they release some old shows on livechilipeppers.com - but there should be new recordings available this Summer regardless. 2020 is shaping up to be a great year for music. 
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    I'm beyond hyped now that John's back. I liked all the Josh stuff, but Frusciante takes RHCP into the ether. Hope they release some old shows on livechilipeppers.com - but there should be new recordings available this Summer regardless. 2020 is shaping up to be a great year for music. 
    This.
  • Options
    Listening to Tokyo June 5, 2007 - LOVE this show & haven't listened to it in a bit. 

The interview with Josh from Rolling Stone was very insightful. Dude has a great attitude & peaceful acceptance towards the situation. It's great that PJ got Pluralone opening shows on the Spring Tour. 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/josh-klinghoffer-red-hot-chili-peppers-interview-945881/
  • Options
    New SPIN interview with Josh - Bonus: a phone call from Ed is mentioned. Haven't read completely through it yet, saw that mentioned & wanted to share. :)

https://www.spin.com/2020/02/josh-klinghoffer-red-hot-chili-peppers-departure-legacy-pluralone/?amp=1&__twitter_impression=true

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    tbergs said:
    Good news I guess. It did feel like Josh hit his stride with the Getaway, so I was excited for the next one with him because I love that album. 
    Agreed. Really good album.
    I did like that album too.
    Great album...that one and Radiohead's A Moon Shaped Pool were amazing
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLwtvLUEDqs

RHCP performed at a private event and jammed with Navarro on a son6. Let the HYPE begin. AK sounds the best he has in years. 

Image result for john frusciante and dave navarro

• Options
    Kind of funny that the person filming didn't  even pay much attention to Frusciante... :confounded:  :lol:
    AK did sound good in that clip... glad to hear it.
    Wish that J Fru/Navarro clip was longer...And that dude behind them kind of reminds me of Kim Thayil.
  • Options
    When do the rumors of Chad leaving the band start?
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    I'll say it: Perkins>Smith.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:
    I'll say it: Perkins>Smith.
    But where does Will Ferrell fit in the equation?