Options

NEW ALBUM ALL SONGS LISTED in GERMANY´s VISIONS MAGAZIN

Comments

• Options
    Either way I could careless Just give me the album NOW.
    I can't wait.....oh yea..... I am sure all these songs will sound great at the SPECTRUM :)

Scott
    10/01/96 9/08/98 9/10/98 9/11/98 8/23/00 8/24/00
    8/25/00 8/27/00 8/29/00 8/30/00 9/01/00 9/02/00
    4/28/03 4/29/03 4/30/03 5/02/03 7/05/03 7/06/03
    7/08/03 7/09/03 7/14/03 <---front row shook hands with ed.
    10/3/05 5/13/06 5/27/06 5/28/06 6/01/06 6/3/06
    6/24/06 6/19/08 6/20/08 6/24/08 6/25/08 10/27/09
    10/28/09 10/30/09 10/31/09 5/15/10 5/18/10 5/20/10
    5/21/10 9/7/11
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    8. supersonic
    9. speed of sound

Maybe these give a clue of how fast the fucking album goes by.
    :P

Not to mention those two seem a bit redundant, no?
    :lol:
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    Human TideHuman Tide Posts: 314
    edited June 2009
    Post edited by Human Tide on
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    Plankton wrote:
    Avocado is 37 minutes long and 11 songs if you cut Come Back and Inside Job.

Yield is 38 minutes and 11 songs if you cut Push Me Pull Me and All Those Yesterdays.
    My guess is this album would be 25 minutes if you cut out the two longest songs as well, so that game really doesn't cover the fact that if this is actually true its a very, very short album.
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,159
    short n sweet works for me

long and drawn out can be boring in the long haul

Exciting :mrgreen:
  • Options
    36 min sends up a bs flag. That is beyond short, even coming off ITW.
  • Options
    OffHeGoes132OffHeGoes132 Posts: 594
    edited June 2009
    I will admit that I was also hoping for a bit longer of an album, but as another poster already noted - quality over quantity is key. Also keep in mind that there's always the possibility of a bside or two to drop after the album's release (I seem to recall them having way more than 12 songs done). However, we didn't get any bsides from Avocado...

They may also add another song to the tracklisting once everything is said and done - probably still too early to tell yet.

Regardless, this is fantastic news and I'm excited as hell! :)
    Post edited by OffHeGoes132 on
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    36 min sends up a bs flag. That is beyond short, even coming off ITW.

I agree

3 years of waiting = 36 minutes of music?

Also nobody else seems to notice the review doesn't match up to the existing review out there?.....# of songs, order, etc....
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,339
    I don't know. The mods always delete fake postings that people try to pass off as truth. The fact that this one seems to be staying leads me to think this is legit. Can someone please post the entire article. Even if it is in german. Also is there a pic? Who's on the magazine cover?
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    I don't know. The mods always delete fake postings that people try to pass off as truth. The fact that this one seems to be staying leads me to think this is legit. Can someone please post the entire article. Even if it is in german. Also is there a pic? Who's on the magazine cover?

well, it is a saturday morning. don't know many mods are patrolling right now.

I would like to see a copy of the full article myself

Weird that PJ would break album news in a German magazine though....
  • Options
    its only 10 minutes shorter than vs.
    That can be like.. 2 songs.
    who cares? since when has pj really really let us down.
    Um, self titled?
  • Options
    Plankton wrote:

Yield is 38 minutes and 11 songs if you cut Push Me Pull Me and All Those Yesterdays.
    But if you cut those two songs you don't have Yield. Plus you have to include the length of Hummus for Yield (not the length of the space between ATY and hummus, but you have to include hummus!)
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,339
    UpSideDown wrote:
    I don't know. The mods always delete fake postings that people try to pass off as truth. The fact that this one seems to be staying leads me to think this is legit. Can someone please post the entire article. Even if it is in german. Also is there a pic? Who's on the magazine cover?[/qu

Weird that PJ would break album news in a German magazine though....
    Not really. That NME reporter got to hear the record a few weeks ago for a future article. He also interviewed the band about the record. I doubt the band set up that session just for him. I'm sure it was a full media day for the album. Probably did interviews all day for a tone of different magazines. So this is just the first one to get the article published.
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    cares? since when has pj really really let us down.
    Um, self titled?

that's a great album
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I think absolutely nothing can be determined at this point. We will see how the album SOUNDS... A lot of tracks on Into the Wild are very short and they are all dynamite. we are also likely 3 months out. This may not be a final list.
  • Options
    cares? since when has pj really really let us down.
    Um, self titled?

that's a great album
    By contemporary rock standards, yes. By pearl jam standards, no.

S/T suffers from over compression on the production side, and generic sound on the writing/performance sound.

Though I think a lot of the latter could be fixed by the former.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    edited June 2009

S/T suffers from over compression on the production side, and generic sound on the writing/performance sound.

What exactly are Pearl Jam standards? They have standards now that are expected to be met?

too many snobs here.. sorry.
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
  • Options

What exactly are Pearl Jam standards? They have standards now that are expected to be met?

I'm not trying to be a snob, but why can't I not like something the band did? I'm a huge pearl jam fan, my all time favorite band, but I'm still allowed to listen to them critically. What I meant by Pearl Jam standards was the album is only lacking when you hold it next to the other ones in the catelog. And I feel like most of what's wrong with s/t is on the production end. Take your copy of S/T and extract the WAV files and open them up in Audacity or Adobe Audition and look at the wave. It looks like a solid block, the wave constantly hits the 100% threshold and thus "flatlines" at it's decibal peaks. Waves naturally never flatline, and when they do as a result of compression you have a "louder" album but an album that sounds less realistic and the intruments have less clarity. All the sounds end up being jumbled together and you feel like you're listening to a barage of noise in your face instead of hearing the intricacies of individual instruments.

To each it's own though, I'm not saying people can't like S/T. I like S/T, I just think it's the worst of all the albums PJ has put out.

And if that makes me a snob, well, I'd rather be a snob than someone who automatically likes anything the band puts out regardless of how it actually sounds.
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I'm not trying to be a snob, but why can't I not like something the band did? I'm a huge pearl jam fan, my all time favorite band, but I'm still allowed to listen to them critically. What I meant by Pearl Jam standards was the album is only lacking when you hold it next to the other ones in the catelog. And I feel like most of what's wrong with s/t is on the production end. Take your copy of S/T and extract the WAV files and open them up in Audacity or Adobe Audition and look at the wave. It looks like a solid block, the wave constantly hits the 100% threshold and thus "flatlines" at it's decibal peaks. Waves naturally never flatline, and when they do as a result of compression you have a "louder" album but an album that sounds less realistic and the intruments have less clarity. All the sounds end up being jumbled together and you feel like you're listening to a barage of noise in your face instead of hearing the intricacies of individual instruments.

To each it's own though, I'm not saying people can't like S/T. I like S/T, I just think it's the worst of all the albums PJ has put out.

And if that makes me a snob, well, I'd rather be a snob than someone who automatically likes anything the band puts out regardless of how it actually sounds.
    The production on Avocado did kind of suck, and they didn't really stretch into new territory as far as writing style, but its a very strong album. There's only so far they can push the music without alienating 90% of us.. they only albums they really pushed it with were No Code and Binaural. If thats what you want, I can understand that. I do want something new sounding, although most here will reject it at first.
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
  • Options
    PlanktonPlankton Posts: 692
    drsluggo wrote:
    Plankton wrote:

My guess is this album would be 25 minutes if you cut out the two longest songs as well, so that game really doesn't cover the fact that if this is actually true its a very, very short album.

I wasn't trying to suggest it's not that short, but rather to give a tangible idea of how long the 36 minutes is, and to also show it's not necessarily a sign that we're going to have especially short songs.
  • Options
    twojawastwojawas Posts: 318
    since when has pj really really let us down.

Not since Riot Act.
  • Options
    skyvalleyskyvalley Posts: 184

i post a pic of it tomorrow! it´s midnight this time in germany....
    ps
    on the cover of the magazin... just billy talent
    Berlin 95 with Neil Young, Berlin 1996, Berlin 2000, Berlin 2006, Munich 2007, Rotterdam 2009, Berlin 2009, Dublin 2010, Belfast 2010, Berlin 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Berlin 2 2012
  • Options
    The production on Avocado did kind of suck, and they didn't really stretch into new territory as far as writing style, but its a very strong album. There's only so far they can push the music without alienating 90% of us.. they only albums they really pushed it with were No Code and Binaural. If thats what you want, I can understand that. I do want something new sounding, although most here will reject it at first
    I agree 100% with the first line here. The production sucked, no new ground, yet a solid album. Which is why I said by contemporary rock standards, it was a great album. But I've always considered pearl jam to be better than contemporary rock. And I would much rather have pearl jam challenge themselves musically and break new ground than worry about fan alienation. I'd like to see the band make great music for the sake of great music, and let the fans react how they will.

With that said I am VERY excited for this new album. My favorite album of all time is Yield (which I think can be held in that category with no code and binaural as you said in your post) which is why I'm thrilled that brendan o'brien is back. And after hearing The End and Got Some, i feel like the band is back to making more interesting and less generic music. Now Got Some isn't really anything THAT groundbreaking and might have fit on S/T, but like I said, I feel like if it's produced properly, even the more generic sounding straight rockers can sound amazing, especially in the context of a varied and interesting album.
  • Options
    REM's last album was very short, but damn strong.
    Philadelphia - October 3rd, 2005
    Camden - May 27th and 28th, 2006
    Camden - June 19th and 20th, 2008
    Philadelphia - October 28th, 30th and 31st, 2009
    Philadelphia - October 21st, 2013
    Philadelphia - April 28th, 2016

• Options
    twojawas wrote:
    since when has pj really really let us down.

Not since Riot Act.
    See I love Riot Act. About a year after it came out I wrote it off as the worst PJ album, but it has since grown on me. And I think the reason why it stood a chance is that it is BEAUTIFULL produced. It has this ambient atmosphere to it that is just hanting. And despite having some weaker tracks (green disease anyone?) it still gave us such numbers as Help, Help which is one of the grooviest pearl jam songs there is.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    edited June 2009
    I worried a little when I heard 36 minutes too, BUT its only 11 songs.. Maybe Brendan had them cut the not so great stuff out and only put the best on it. My thought is there won't be a dull moment on this album. Most of my favorite Pearl Jam songs are 3 minutes or less.. average song on this album would be 3:16.. probably a few 2 minuters and a few 4 minuters.

Ten is only 11 songs and its a bout 55 minutes.

I personally dont buy it/ dont want to buy it. When I hear 11 songs and only 36 minutes all I can think of is that they are trying to squeeze every last bit of creative juice that they have left after all of these years. 36 minutes is like they tried to squeeze the juice out of a damp cloth.

That other guy who heard the album did say it had 12 songs and Got Some was the opener. So I'm going to believe that instead.
    Post edited by 12345AGNST1 on
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    I worried a little when I heard 36 minutes too, BUT its only 11 songs.. Maybe Brendan had them cut the not so great stuff out and only put the best on it. My thought is there won't be a dull moment on this album. Most of my favorite Pearl Jam songs are 3 minutes or less.. average song on this album would be 3:16.. probably a few 2 minuters and a few 4 minuters.

I personally dont buy it/ dont want to buy it. 11 songs and 36 minutes is too little. That other guy who heard the album said it had 12 songs and Got Some was the opener.
    maybe see my friend and got some go into each other???
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options

I personally dont buy it/ dont want to buy it. When I hear 11 songs and only 36 minutes all I can think of is that they are trying to squeeze every last bit of creative juice that they have left after all of these years. 36 minutes is like they tried to squeeze the juice out of a damp cloth.

That other guy who heard the album did say it had 12 songs and Got Some was the opener. So I'm going to believe that instead.
    But Ten is all 5 minute long rock anthems, not to mention the extra minutes for master/slave to start. Very different from every other pearl jam album. Take a random 11 songs from every other album they ever did and you have a 30-some minute album.
  • Options
    Lets put this into perspective people..

If they released a new album that was 36 minutes long and it looked like this..

Brain of J
    Faithful
    Save You
    Comatose
    Go
    Last Exit
    In My Tree
    Do the Evolution
    Grievance
    Porch
    Oceans

11 songs, 36 minutes.. would it be so bad?
  • Options
    Cinnamon GirlCinnamon Girl Posts: 1,854
    skyvalley wrote:

i post a pic of it tomorrow! it´s midnight this time in germany....
    ps
    on the cover of the magazin... just billy talent

Billy Talent is big in Germany? :|
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,