The Pacific

Comments

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    when is the 8th episode?air on sunday?
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    edited April 2010
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Watching this series has gotten me thinking about the horrors of war. The fact that it is a soldier's job to kill the enemy in order to meet military objectives is so difficult to fathom. Imagine having to deal with the images of seeing your colleagues killed or the images of killing an enemy soldier point blank.

Even more shocking is the fact that most of the soldiers were under the age of 20.

Very powerful stuff!
    In Sledges book he mentions multiple times about how he got the feeilng they were just cannon fodder to an ogjective. Like they were being sent into the meat grinder. I don't know if the series gets that across as well as it could. Espcially after Pelelie (sp?) when they kind of question why the hell they even needed to take that island.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    it airs Sunday at 9pm EST
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    intodeep wrote:
    it airs Sunday at 9pm EST
    MONDAY MORNING THE TORRENT STYLE HERE THEN.. :) THANKS!!!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    Another good episode tonight.

Sad watching a Medal of Honor die in combat.
    I enjoyed it but I was a little confused.

I thought i read that John took out the bunker pretty much by himself with explosives but in the show didn't he order somene else to go up and throw it in the bunker? Also I read he lead a tank by himself out of a mine field while taking fire. I did not see them do that at all.

I am pretty sure he died from a mortar shell landing next to him not getting shot as it seemed he did.

I liked it but it seems the real life story made him even more heroic then the show did.

The abruptness of him going from the love scene straight into battle was a little sharp for my taste but not that big of a deal

Okinawa next week. That shit should be crazy.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Wow. That is all
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I'm bummed the series is about to end. The last several weeks have been madness. I'd have to say, seeing Basilone go down last week was the worst. That and all of these civilians in Okinawa getting caught in the crossfire. I'm glad HBO didn't sugarcoat what really went on. It's good to see these stories getting told right.
    I can't believe it is pretty much over too. I think they did a good job with Okinawa considering they had one episode to do it in. Seems like they tried to show the emotional toll that battle took on the guys.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    So that was pretty much horrifying.

Agree on the crossfire scene. I mean what would you do? You have the enemy soldiers running through the civilians and trying to kill you. You have to defend yourself right? Gut wrenching scene. As was the one at the end with Sledge and the wounded woman. I remember that from the book and was wondering if it would be included.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    amazing the character development in sledge and snafu. Sledge you could see was going to get harder as his screen time increased, but i was amazed at how they developed snafu's character from a wise ass know it all who seemed like he'd torment sledge throughout the whole series, to a friend, and then when he snapped last night. incredible.

agreed w/ the scenes w/ the civilians...couldn't breathe during the baby/crying scene.
    I love to turn you on
    Flagg wrote:
    So that was pretty much horrifying.

Agree on the crossfire scene. I mean what would you do? You have the enemy soldiers running through the civilians and trying to kill you. You have to defend yourself right? Gut wrenching scene. As was the one at the end with Sledge and the wounded woman. I remember that from the book and was wondering if it would be included.

I was disapointed they did not show much of Lt Mac the "new" officer that took over their group. I thought for sure they would show him talking about how as soon as one of his men got killed he was going to take his knife and 45 and run across the lines and kill every jap in site..... I remember in the book when they got into combat Sledge and them teasing him "come on mac go get em! go kill them japs with your knife" :lol:

I liked how they showed the transition with sledge. i've been really happy with the series.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    Once again well done HBO.

I re-watched part 10 again tonight and once again was fighting back tears. The ending telling what happened to them after the war was nice. Was glad to see that most moved on and made the best for themselves. Too bad many passed away without seeing this 10 part mini series. IMO this and Band Of Brothers should be shown in every high school history class.
    It all came togetehr well. i probably need to go back and watch the first 4 episodes again now that i know all the chacters. I think i would enjoy them more. I felt confused trying to figure out who was who and who I should focus on. That to me was the only flaw of the series.

As usual loved the parts with Sledge. The guys on the train coming home and saying their goodbyes as well as the part with him hunting with his father. Very powerful stuff. so glad i got to watch this.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    It all came togetehr well. i probably need to go back and watch the first 4 episodes again now that i know all the chacters. I think i would enjoy them more. I felt confused trying to figure out who was who and who I should focus on. That to me was the only flaw of the series.

As usual loved the parts with Sledge. The guys on the train coming home and saying their goodbyes as well as the part with him hunting with his father. Very powerful stuff. so glad i got to watch this.

Yea I'm gonna have to go back and watch the first few episodes too.

Can't wait until you can buy the whole thing. All the extra stuff should be amazing.
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Amazing series. Really enjoyed it
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Sad it finally came to an end. Great final episode. What's really amazing is how they found actors that looked so similar to the characters they play. Agree with earlier comment - I'm counting the days till it's available on dvd. What a ride.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Overall, I was very happy with it. The last episode was moving. In a way, reading Sledge's book beforehand made me appreciate the change he went through even more. I thought the filmmakers handled that brilliantly. Think 7 and 9 were the best episodes, and I agree about the DVD. Hopefully they put some good extras in there. It is too bad that most of the people that were subject of this film did not survive to see it.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    Pacific = Poor Man's Band Of Brothers
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282

While I agree it probably wasn't "as good" as Band of Brothers...it was still pretty f'n great IMO.

I think from the audience standpoint...BOB was great because it more or less followed the same squad from the beginning to the end, where The Pacific, it was a little more "all over the place". There wasn't as much of the "whole story"/cohesiveness that we saw in BOB, but that's kind of what the Pacific front was. You'd fight for 6 months straight, leave for 3 weeks and be back on some island somewhere.

Either way, I really enjoyed it! It's not too often I get excited about anything on TV anymore!
    I think i read elsewhere this will be on HBO all Memorial Day weekend if anyone missed it and wants to get caught up.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22

I liked Band of Brothers alot but The Pacific was way better.
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,959
    I finally got all caught up. Watched six episodes tonight :shock: All I can say is wow. Pretty freakin' amazing. Very, very emotional. I think I spent most of episode ten in tears (I can be such a girl sometimes :oops: ). I really appreciated the end credit part. I'm definitely going to have to buy the books now.

I agree with what Patrick said . . .
    The ending telling what happened to them after the war was nice. Was glad to see that most moved on and made the best for themselves. Too bad many passed away without seeing this 10 part mini series.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop

I liked Band of Brothers alot but The Pacific was way better.

SHIRLEY, you can't be serious.

..............rrrriiiight.
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    interesting how they just left snafu's character to wonder...no welcome home, no backround info on his life, and as his screen time increased, i was kind of hoping to see him develop a bit more instead of the train 'i'm gonna get that girl' scene. would have preferred that instead of basilone's widow scene with the parents/inlaws. but i understand they wanted to show the homefront heartbreak side of things. Leckie's character ending was cool...much different than Sledge's...very fitting. awesome series.
    I love to turn you on
    interesting how they just left snafu's character to wonder...no welcome home, no backround info on his life, and as his screen time increased, i was kind of hoping to see him develop a bit more instead of the train 'i'm gonna get that girl' scene. would have preferred that instead of basilone's widow scene with the parents/inlaws. but i understand they wanted to show the homefront heartbreak side of things. Leckie's character ending was cool...much different than Sledge's...very fitting. awesome series.

I hope this role leads him to bigger things. I've never seen that dude in anything else, but definitely a good casting right there. I could see him becoming a big star.
  • jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    edited May 2010

I think it was a fitting treatment of the character considering it was what they had to work with. It took Snafu decades to reconnect with Sledge after the war (after Sledge's book was published) and all that Sledge really knew of Snafu at the point of publishing would have been what Snafu shared with him (so probably very limited background info and definitely nothing on his homecoming). It's unfortunate because I too would have loved to see more of Snafu's story... turned out to be my favorite "character".
    Post edited by jamburger on
    Over on the pacific fan site one person pointed out as the above poster does that he did just kind of disapear for the longest time until he read With the Old Breed.

Him slipping away in the night is kind of symbolic of that.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    intodeep wrote:
    Over on the pacific fan site one person pointed out as the above poster does that he did just kind of disapear for the longest time until he read With the Old Breed.

Him slipping away in the night is kind of symbolic of that.

Yeah, I thought it was perfect. Snafu really seemed like the guy who didn't have a lot in his life. When we first met him, he was a bit of a dick, didn't really care about anyone or anything...
    As we got to know his character more, you could start seeing emotion, you could see that he really cared for his friends in his squad.
    I thought the scene of him getting off the train was great! You know Snafu wanted to wake up Sledge and say goodbye (and he hesitated at least once) to probably one of the people he's actually gotten close to.

Not going to lie...
    I somewhat expected at the end where there were showing "what happened to everyone", that Snafu's would have read - "Snafu returned to Alabama, became a social outcast and then went on a killing spree" :lol:

The dude that played him is really talented!
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    When Snafu was first introduced, I have to admit I hated the character. He was elitist and seemed to think his shit didn't stink. But as him and Sledge got closer in battle and became friends, he became more human. By the end of the show he was my favorite character. The actor who played him was very talented.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,