Favourite Documentary/Documentaries??

Comments

• Meg8686Meg8686 Posts: 1,234
    Baraka is one of my favorites...I cant wait for Samasara to be released

Didn't know about this one :) Just watched the trailer & it looks stunning!!
    Thanks for that, Looking forward to it
    Sometimes I speak of nothing at all.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    more from hot docs ...

Meet The Fokkens http://www.hotdocs.ca/film/title/meet_the_fokkens
    Dutch film about two sisters who worked as prostitutes in the red light district (one still does) into their 70's. This sometimes light-hearted story does hit a bit at the gut when you hear their story. There were some people in the story that weren't clarified which made it a bit confusing but overall, it was a tender film.

The Invisible War http://www.hotdocs.ca//film/title/invisible_war
    An investigative documentary about the rampant rape and sexual abuse women and some men endure in the US Armed Forces and how the military not only refuses to help them but adopts a strategy that ultimately destroys the victims lives. Definitely not a film for the jingoistic american. Your'e not gonna like seeing this stuff. Just brutal to watch really.

Off Label http://www.hotdocs.ca/film/title/off_label
    A film about the use of human guinea pigs by the pharmaceutical industry and the conflict that exists. The directors did not want to do a standard stat driven/big pharma is bad movie so the film became a bit disjointed - for me, this really was a film about class struggles and the lack of oversight by pharmaceutical giants.
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    This is a good one. A quirky old film about London with James Mason:

The London nobody knows (1969): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMHCVHLI68M

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2003/nov/21/history
    The naked city

Goldfish in public toilets, meths drinkers, Italian caffs ... Bob Stanley on an extraordinary documentary that captures the seamy underbelly of 1960s London

'In the wholly terrestrial 1980s, I would scour and dogear the Radio and TV Times the day they came out, looking for rare showings of great films and archive oddities. Channel 4 made life easy with Truffaut, British new wave, or Marx Brothers seasons. The real plums, though, could often be hidden in the ITV - or Thames, round our way - schedules, maybe at one in the morning, maybe at three in the afternoon.

It was the latter slot that broadcast The London Nobody Knows, a 1967 documentary stroll around the city with James Mason. No horseguards, no palaces, but Islington's Chapel Market, pie shops, and Spitalfields tenements. Carnaby chicks and chaps, the 1967 we have been led to remember, are shockingly juxtaposed with feral meths drinkers, filthy shoeless kids, squalid Victoriana. Camden Town still resembles the world of Walter Sickert. There is romance and adventure, but mostly there is malnourishment. London looks like a shithole...'
    Meg8686 wrote:
    Everything ever done by Louis Theroux
    louistheroux.jpg

I just watched the doc he did on the Westboro Baptist Church. I think the thing about his films is that despite the craziness, and oftentimes hostility, of the people he spends time with, he always ends up being the star of the show. He's so personable and funny that you end up marveling at his patience and charm and almost forgetting about the idiots that are the actual focus of his documentary.
    I think you could drop him into a lions den and he'd end up managing to charm his way out.

I downloaded a bunch of his films. Next up is 'Ultra Zionists'.
  • PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    AWESOME --> Johnny Carson documentary on PBS' "American Masters"...
    Highly recommend...learned a lot and was amazed - superb 2 hrs... saw it last night (5/14) and will be recording it when its on again, for sure!
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
  • dustinparduedustinpardue Posts: 1,829
    Awesome thread! Documentaries are the only think that makes netflix anywhere close to worth $7.99 a month. So many great one I agree with on here, all the Michael Moore stuff, Obama Deception, The Bridge, etc. A few great ones that haven't already been mentioned include:

The Listening Project - how people in other countries see America and Americans
    I Need That Record - about the death of indie record stores
    Cocaine Cowboys - (one of my all time favs) about how drugs built Miami
    The Loose Change series - Actually investigating 9/11
    The Men Who Killed Kennedy (1-9) - JFK Assassination
    The Evidence of Revision series - JFK, RFK, MLK (really amazing stuff)
    Gashole - about people who have tried to make efficient or non-gas fueled cars and what happened to them
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    PJFAN13 wrote:
    AWESOME --> Johnny Carson documentary on PBS' "American Masters"...
    Highly recommend...learned a lot and was amazed - superb 2 hrs... saw it last night (5/14) and will be recording it when its on again, for sure!
    Really wanted to see that but had to work last night. :(
    Just about everything I've seen on American Masters has been great. Loved the one about Rod Serling.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,757
    Watched "We Were Here" today. It's about AIDS in San Fran at the beginning of the epidemic. Very moving.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    ComeToTX wrote:
    Watched "We Were Here" today. It's about AIDS in San Fran at the beginning of the epidemic. Very moving.
    Is it on dvd or did you see it in a theater? Would like to see that.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • zarocatzarocat Posts: 1,901
    Forks over Knives

Zeitgeist: Addendum

Manufactured Landscapes

The Doors: Narrated by Johnny Depp

Zizek

Big River Man

The Union

Tyson

Waiting For Superman

Who The F%#k is Jackson Pollock

Home: Narrated by Glen Close
    1996: Toronto
    1998: Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal
    2004: Boston X2, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto X2
    2009: Toronto
    2011: PJ20, Montreal, Toronto X2, Hamilton
    2012: Manchester X2, Amsterdam X2, Prague, Berlin X2, Philadelphia, Missoula
    2013: Pittsburg, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Detroit
    2016: Ottawa, Toronto X2
    2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Chicago X2
    2024: New York X2
    The People vs George Lucas
    :D
    If you like Star Wars (esp EPS 4, 5 & 6), I highly recommend this doc...very humorous and quite an interesting look at fandom...and if you have a bone to pick w/ Georgie over the last 3 films (ahem, Jar Jar Binks) then this is defintely for you!!!
    HAN SHOT FIRST!!! :lol:
    Really well done, funny and less then 2 hrs...
    I am NOT a Star Wars lunatic fan by any stretch, in fact Empire Strikes Back is my fave & I disliked Jedi - but this film was great...and since a ton of folks on this board have a deep passionate bond with PJ, you will totally get where some of these fanatics are coming from!
    Enjoy
    Deliver Us From Evil
    Oh. My. Gosh.
    Extremely moving, twisted, sad and anger inducing.
    As Ed sings gloriously "God, what do you say?"
    The good ol' Catholic church, horrific child abuse, pedophile priest (WHO ROAMS FREE IN IRELAND), victims & their families..tuff to shake what I witnessed in this doc...
    Wow.
  • Byrnzie wrote:
    Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father

I watched this about a month ago on your recommendation. It's very good. And I really didn't envisage the kid being killed by that woman. It's definitely a pretty intense doc. You have to give 100% respect to the parents for coping so well with it all.

omg-spoiler alert!!! geez, dude!

It's an amazing documentary and that little twist was totally unexpected. The Canadian justice system obviously has faults of its own.

Very moving film!
    When the Mountains Tremble
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzi7g_gi8Ro
    (Torrent: http://kat.ph/when-the-mountains-trembl ... 55232.html)

wmt.jpg

http://skylightpictures.com/films/when_ ... ns_tremble
    This new, updated version of the 1983 classic on war and social revolution in Guatemala is a vigorous and persuasive documentary. It describes the struggle of the largely Indian peasantry against a heritage of state and foreign oppression. Centered on the experiences of Rigoberta Menchú, a Quich Indian woman, the film knits a variety of forms--- interviews, direct address, re-enactment, video transmission, and on the spot footage shot at great hazard--- into a wide-ranging and remarkable cohesive epic canvas of the Guatemalan struggle.

Despite the long history of oppression it depicts, the overall effect of the film is exhilarating; with clarity and energy it conveys the birth of a national and political awareness.

"When the Mountains Tremble" was updated and re-released in 1992 when Rigoberta Menchú won the Nobel Peace Prize. The film now includes what happened in Guatemala in the intervening 10 years, and footage of the Nobel ceremony.

"When the Mountains Tremble" was released theatrically in 40 U.S. cities and 30 foreign countries. It was shown on PBS and recieved awards at the Sundance Film Festival (Special Jury Award), the American Film Festival (Blue Ribbon Award), and the Havana Film Festival (Grand Coral Award, Best North American Documentary).
  • tyltyl Posts: 20
    edited July 2012
    double post
    Post edited by tyl on
  • tyltyl Posts: 20
    Based on the trailer, this will be one of my favorite documentaries. I can't wait to see this:
    KEEP ON KEEPIN’ ON is the inspiring story of a jazz legend and one of his last students. The legend is 91-year-old Clark Terry, a man who played in the Duke Ellington and Count Basie bands and mentored the likes of Miles Davis and Quincy Jones. His student is 24-year-old Justin Kauflin, a blind piano prodigy who struggles with stage fright but has a dream of following in his mentor's footsteps. When Justin is invited to compete in a prestigious jazz competition and Clark’s health takes a turn for the worse, the film builds to an emotional climax, chronicling every heart-warming practice session and heart-breaking hospital visit. The result is an intimate portrait of two lives in music and of a teacher who continues to inspire even as he fights for his own survival. As Quincy Jones testifies: “He’s one of god’s gifts to this planet.”

Here's the trailer, I must have have watched it more than 30 times by now: http://vimeo.com/40281216
    American: The Bill Hicks Story

Wow

What a doc...
    If you like comedy, if you liked /love Bill --> must see
    If you are into a completely unique way of film-making - this is definetly a must see

You will totally understand TOOL (for you Tool fans) if you watch this - Bill was a genius, ahead of his time and influenced not only many comedians, but many artists of this generation.

Can't wait to watch it again!
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    NOVA: The Elegant Universe: The String’s The Thing
    String Theory...I "almost" get it

Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman

Universe...

AND OF COURSE.....anything explained by Dr. Michio Kaku
    he makes the impossible seem almost fathomable
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    StillHere wrote:

Universe...

Dr. Michio Kaku, he's lies
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    StillHere wrote:

Universe...

Dr. Michio Kaku, he's lies

how can it be lies?
    Its THEORETICAL physics
    Just ideas...unproven ideas
    Its what keeps the world turning :D
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    recently saw one nation under dog on hbo. it was really good
  • Wouldn't call this a favorite but it was really interesting!

http://www.sho.com/sho/reality-docs/tit ... lex#/index
  • davidtrios wrote:
    recently saw one nation under dog on hbo. it was really good

I cried like a baby and had to turn it off. I'm sure you can guess when!
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    sharkwater ...

not the greatest in narration but for those who follow paul watson and his sea shepherd organization ... it's cool ...

it's basically a guy who decided to do a pseudo documentary on the shark fin trade and himself ... the facts are staggering ... it's crazy how stupid people are ...
    Woody Harrelson discusses "The Most Dangerous Man in America":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G1SaatI ... re=related
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    there's something wrong with aunt diane
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,127
    Recently watched:

1) Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price - makes me never want to shop at Wal-Mart
    2) Up for Grabs - about the controversy over who caught/owned Barry Bonds' record setting 73rd home run baseball
    3) Freedom Fries and Other Stupidity We'll Have to Explain to Our Grandchildren - title sounded promising, but was kind of boring. Focused on patriotic stances like anti-French sentiment when the French didn't support the Iraq war and the irony of Americans being pro-capitalism while waving little flags made in China.
    4) Road to the Big Leagues - In Spanish with English subtitles. It's about the Dominican Republic and how baseball is a dream for many and a way to better their family. Really good if you like baseball imo.
    5) Fagbug - cross country road trip to raise awareness for gay rights after someone spray painted anti-gay slurs on a girl's VW Beetle.
    6) Civil War Journal: The Conflict Begins - about the lead up to and reasons for the Civil War
    7) Kill Your Idols - About 70s and 80s punk/no wave scene that intended to challenge their audience and the bands they inspired that are unoriginal and more radio friendly.
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    I have worked on the subtitles for a a documentary called Saving Face today. It is about women in Pakistan who are victims of acid attacks by their husbands or other family members. It broke my heart, and made me sad and angry. And it made me feel like a spoiled brat with all my "luxury problems". Go watch it if you can.
  • Meg8686 wrote:
    Baraka is one of my favorites...I cant wait for Samasara to be released

Didn't know about this one :) Just watched the trailer & it looks stunning!!
    Thanks for that, Looking forward to it
    Screening tonight in jacksonville!!! I'm beyond excited.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • CorsoCorso Posts: 201
    Trudell - 2005 - American Indian poet and activist