Favourite Documentary/Documentaries??

Comments

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    Just watched "The Imposter". Outstanding. I highly recommend checking it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67cMet52mL4
  • La danse Paris opera ballet
  • Heisenberg wrote:
    Just watched "The Imposter". Outstanding. I highly recommend checking it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67cMet52mL4

among the top documentaries ive ever seen. compelling from start to finish. I have been meaning to figure out what they've learned since the release of it, about whether the family really did do that to their son.

Whats crazy is I learned about it from lance armstrong. he tweeted about the movie maybe 3 months ago, pre-admitting on Oprah, and he called it "scary". Kind of interesting since he was an Imposter too.

What was so insane about the story was just how things racheted up and up. The guy simply placed a call to police from a phone booth and it ended up in questions of what a family possibly did to their son.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Zeitgeist 1 & 2
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    ss-sun.jpg

Watched 'West of Memphis' last night. about the WM3. Sheds some interesting new angles on the clusterfuck that was this case. Judge John Fogleman stands out as a real prize cock.It's shown how he deliberately lied in court - over the issue of the knife - in order to try and win a conviction, even if that meant sending three innocent boys to death row. He also refuses to accept the facts when they're staring him straight in the face. I suppose self-preservation and career progression were always more important to him than finding the real killer/s of three murdered children.
    Just another slippery lying lawyer-cum politician.
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    Byrnzie wrote:
    ss-sun.jpg

Watched 'West of Memphis' last night. about the WM3. Sheds some interesting new angles on the clusterfuck that was this case. Judge John Fogleman stands out as a real prize cock.It's shown how he deliberately lied in court - over the issue of the knife - in order to try and win a conviction, even if that meant sending three innocent boys to death row. He also refuses to accept the facts when they're staring him straight in the face. I suppose self-preservation and career progression were always more important to him than finding the real killer/s of three murdered children.

The guilty were tried and sentenced. It's a trippy feeling that any walk free.
    3 raped, sodomized little boys. One accused pleads guilty. It's forgotten because one has a low IQ.

What happened to the Miranda Laws?

Why won't the Supreme Court Look at this? It's too stupid.

I still want a restraining order against them all.

Why would a person say they were too ignorant to say a lie, because they told the truth.

I'm probably going to be kicked off and banned for this. But IT will never cease to make me nuts.

Those frucking .... Trucks. Where is Johnny Depp? I need Help.

I have a low IQ and I have been misjudged? Do I get any money or movie royalties ? I'm innocent. Do I have to kill Boy scouts to meet celebrities ? When is the film crew coming?

(My opinion)
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    STAYSEA wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:
    ss-sun.jpg

3 raped, sodomized little boys. One accused pleads guilty. It's forgotten because one has a low IQ.

Why would a person say they were too ignorant to say a lie, because they told the truth.

I'm probably going to be kicked off and banned for this. But IT will never cease to make me nuts.

Those frucking .... Trucks. Where is Johnny Depp? I need Help.

I have a low IQ and I have been misjudged? Do I get any money or movie royalties ? I'm innocent. Do I have to kill Boy scouts to meet celebrities ? When is the film crew coming?

(My opinion)

:shock:
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
    STAYSEA wrote:

You don't know what you're talking about.
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    The Life of Birds ~ David Attenborough

This is the type of documentaries I enjoy

life-birds-david-attenborough-dvd-cover-art.jpg

This is one of my favorites.
    London: The Modern Babylon

LBMtest1.jpg

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjHnWyJhkzo

Watched this today. It's very good. Not as back-slapping as the Olympics opening ceremony, and has some very cool footage and interviews with Londoners old and new.

From Peter Bradshaw's review in the Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/aug ... lon-review
    'Julien Temple has created a brilliant, exhaustive and exhausting clip-collage, a visually throbbing cine-quilt that basically proves the Sex Pistols got their most famous title wrong. It's Anarchy in London, not Anarchy in the UK. London is where the dense swirl of creativity, energy and violence is to be found. In comparison, the rest of the country is placid and dull. It's arguably a bit more subversive than Danny Boyle's masterly Olympic opener – though perhaps no less heartfelt.

The material is well-chosen; the juxtapositions are witty and bold, collapsing the distinction between the modern world and ye olden dayes. After a while, I went into a trance, immersing myself in this Lucy-in-the-Sky trip into the heart of London...

..Not surprisingly, though perhaps without consciously wanting to, Temple puts the spirit of punk at the centre of everything: pugnacious, bloody-minded, revolutionary and reactionary at the same time – and as English as a cup of Indian tea. The point seems to be that London was once the epicentre of empire, a trading nation whose instinct is to absorb influences while periodically, peevishly, attempting to prove national superiority. After the war, migrant incomers and former subject peoples came to London: Jews, Poles, Bangladeshis, Pakistanis, Russians. Tony Benn and Suggs from Madness are interviewed about their childhood experiences growing up in London and, interestingly, both tell us there is no point in sentimentality and nostalgia about a supposed golden age. "It's about whatever's on the go at any given moment," says Suggs.'
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,757
    Finally got to see Undefeated. So good. Very worthy of its Oscar.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
    Searching For Sugar Man

searchingforsugarman1.jpg

This is a great doc. My film of the year so far. The music's great too. I can't believe I never heard of him until now. Well worth checking out.
    It's films like this that remind me why I prefer documentaries over movies these days.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDw7OqVBT-w
  • PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Just saw "Sound City". Absolutely fantastic. There are more insightful documentaries out there, but I haven't had this much fun watching one since PJ20 came out.
    Couldn't agree more. FANTASTIC documentary. Superb soundtrack. Dave Grohl is the man...well done.
    What a super story - amazing how many phenomenal records were made there. So surprised how hard ol' Paul McCartney rocked out in that thing - wow.
    Next up: "Searching for Sugarman" - can't wait!
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
    I watched a documentary recently called 'Chasing Ice' [2012] about a photographer who travels around the World and photographs the effects of climate change by showing the yearly changes to the Worlds ice-sheets and glaciers. I thought this doc was pretty amazing - great scenery, and photography, and some incredible footage of Ice-sheets calving (breaking away and collapsing into the sea), e.t.c. - but then I watched this:

The Expedition to the End of the World [2013]

0024f4f0_medium.jpeg

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_Bkpa3jKfI

It's a BBC documentary about a bunch of scientists and artists who travel to a remote area of Greenland to see what they can find and experience there during a short yearly opening in an otherwise frozen river channel. They end up sharing ideas, getting drunk, and mostly just reveling in the stunning landscape around them. It has some of the most amazing scenery I've ever seen in a film, and whilst watching I decided that I have to go to Greenland and see the place for myself. Greenland is now up at the top of my list of places to travel to after I leave China.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    24 hours party people

wouldn't call this a documentary.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    hot docs is wrapping up here in toronto ... for documentary fans - it really is an awesome festival ...

here's a couple i've seen:

shooting bigfoot http://www.hotdocs.ca/film/title/shooting_bigfoot
    what starts out as a bit of a laugh at some american caricatures turns out to be a really human story about belief and values ...

the defector: escape from north korea http://www.hotdocs.ca/film/title/defect ... orth_korea
    saw this partly cuz i put in some money via kick starter ... kinda cool seeing your name in the credits ... in any case a solid film that highlights the horrid conditions people live in north korea and what people are willing to do to get out ...
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    polaris_x wrote:
    hot docs is wrapping up here in toronto ... for documentary fans - it really is an awesome festival ...

here's a couple i've seen:

shooting bigfoot http://www.hotdocs.ca/film/title/shooting_bigfoot
    what starts out as a bit of a laugh at some american caricatures turns out to be a really human story about belief and values ...

Rick Dyer is a Known Hoaxer and a piece of shit, a psycho with delusions of grandeur.
  • pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    edited July 2013
    Brick and Mortar and Love. Its a doc about Ear-X-Tacy, a record store here in Louisville, Ky, as it struggles to keep up in the Internet age.

brick-mortar-love.jpg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IslzaeonP9o
    Post edited by pjradio on
    aqo2t.jpg
    Rick Dyer is a Known Hoaxer and a piece of shit, a psycho with delusions of grandeur.

ya ... that definitely comes across in the movie but at the same time - i couldn't help but feel sorry for this guy ...
    saw a few more:

15 Reasons To Live: http://www.hotdocs.ca/film/title/15_reasons_to_live
    Hit and miss and the director documents 15 separate individuals/groups based on a list he saw about reasons to live (love, duty, friendship,etc). Some of them were quite compelling, some not so much ...

Eufrosina's Revolution http://www.hotdocs.ca/film/title/eufrosinas_revolution
    A story about an indigenous woman who broke the cycle of poverty and customs amongst indigenous people in Mexico specifically women. It also shows that there are many obstacles to change. I didn't particularly like the editing job of this film - however, she was a compelling figure.

Here are the winners of the industry awards ... audience award will be announced today ...

http://www.hotdocs.ca/news#hot_docs_201 ... _announced
  • Watched 'Gotta Dance' today. It's about the original senior citizen hip hop dance team for the New Jersey Nets. It was totally cute.

I also recently watched 'Bombay Beach'. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J876cYfutg

"The Berlin Film Festival Catalogue-

A documentary-record-cum-drama with dreamlike musical elements describing a small community on the fringes of the lost American dream, and the dreamers who populate its surreal and poetic landscape.
    Bombay Beach is one of the poorest communities in southern California located on the shores of the Salton Sea, a man-made sea stranded in the middle of the Colorado desert that was once a beautiful vacation destination for the privileged and is now a pool of dead fish.

Film director Alma Har'el tells the story of three protagonists. The trials of Benny Parrish, a young boy diagnosed with bipolar disorder whose troubled soul and vivid imagination create both suffering and joy for him and his complex and loving family.
    The story of CeeJay Thompson, a black teenager and aspiring football player who has taken refuge in Bombay Beach hoping to avoid the same fate of his cousin who was murdered by a gang of youths in Los Angeles; and that of Red, an ancient survivor, once an oil field worker, living on the fumes of whiskey, cigarettes and an irrepressible love of life.

Together these portraits form a triptych of manhood in its various ages and guises, in a gently hypnotic style that questions whether they are a product of their world or if their world is a construct of their own imaginations.
    The narratives are interspersed with choreographed sequences in which the protagonists dance -- to music specially composed for the film by Zach Condon of the band Beirut and songs by Bob Dylan.

For more info check out the official website:

bombaybeachfilm.com"

I absolutely adored Benny and I love his mother for just letting him be him. Good film. Got it from the library, but will likely purchase a copy.
    I carried a watermelon
    I also recently watched 'Bombay Beach'. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J876cYfutg

"The Berlin Film Festival Catalogue-

A documentary-record-cum-drama with dreamlike musical elements describing a small community on the fringes of the lost American dream, and the dreamers who populate its surreal and poetic landscape.
    Bombay Beach is one of the poorest communities in southern California located on the shores of the Salton Sea, a man-made sea stranded in the middle of the Colorado desert that was once a beautiful vacation destination for the privileged and is now a pool of dead fish.

Film director Alma Har'el tells the story of three protagonists. The trials of Benny Parrish, a young boy diagnosed with bipolar disorder whose troubled soul and vivid imagination create both suffering and joy for him and his complex and loving family.
    The story of CeeJay Thompson, a black teenager and aspiring football player who has taken refuge in Bombay Beach hoping to avoid the same fate of his cousin who was murdered by a gang of youths in Los Angeles; and that of Red, an ancient survivor, once an oil field worker, living on the fumes of whiskey, cigarettes and an irrepressible love of life.

Together these portraits form a triptych of manhood in its various ages and guises, in a gently hypnotic style that questions whether they are a product of their world or if their world is a construct of their own imaginations.
    The narratives are interspersed with choreographed sequences in which the protagonists dance -- to music specially composed for the film by Zach Condon of the band Beirut and songs by Bob Dylan.

For more info check out the official website:

bombaybeachfilm.com"

I absolutely adored Benny and I love his mother for just letting him be him. Good film. Got it from the library, but will likely purchase a copy.

I've got this. Haven't seen it yet though.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,407
    Just started Under The Dome again after seeing the commercial for the miniseries. This is my 3rd time to read it.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Saw a couple of documentaries presented by the American comedian Rich Hall the other day. 'Continental Drifters', about the history of U.S road movies, and 'You Can Go To Hell, I'm Going To Texas', about, yep, Texas.
    Both really cool, and funny movies.

446rich_hall.jpg
  • amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    not sure if it's been posted.

EAT THE SUN

amy
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    There's Something Wrong With Aunt Diane - :shock:
    Realize its a few years old...pretty moving...leaves ya thinking for sure!
    Graphic moment with the photo of Diane's corpse...
    Highly recommend

Also, Every Fucking Day Of My Life...pretty remarkable look at abuse - spousal and children. Gripping story.
    Highly recommend
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
  • The Day My God Died...probably the most powerful film/documentary I've ever watched. It chronicles the lives of young Nepali girls who are sold by their parents and taken to Mumbai to be sex workers.
  • LosientoLosiento Posts: 282
    PJ20 :lol:
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    The Invisible War kinda killed me a little on the inside.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    duska3419 wrote:
    The Invisible War kinda killed me a little on the inside.
    That one depressed and angered me. A lot.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."