Options

Meaning of Got Some

Comments

• Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    Why would it necessarily be anti-Obama. Can you not just ask a question without hating them?
    Ok answer me this..

They wrote a song to help him get elected, right?

Why would they write an anti-Obama song right after?

Pearl Jam DID NOT write an anti-Obama song.

Check back on the next album.. and stop being retarded, people.

Ed and the band are principled individuals. And I think they know whats up. Obama isnt antiwar. And he isnt pulling troops out. He is patricipating in escalating a war that is unbelievably unpopular. He will not pull out the troops. He does not believe that diplomacy is the answer.

So I ask you, if those facts are true, and I see no reason why they arent true, Why would the band support such an individual right now? Yes they voted for him, but do you really think they are gonna just sit back and say "yeah obama", when he is escalating a war they stood up against?

"

So then they are idiots for supporting him in the first place. Obama did not pull the wool over anyone's eyes. He is who we thought he was. Did people really think he'd snap his fingers the day after inauguration and, poof, the troops would be home? My God.

That said ...

Please show me evidence Obama is "escalating" the war in Iraq? They are taking troops AWAY from Iraq, and redeploying them in Afghanistan.

Again, I didn't vote for Obama. I was against him from the get-go. But if you were so thoroughly enraptured that you supported him as fervently as Ed and Pearl Jam did less than a year ago ... and now you are so fervently against him five months after election, insufficient time for ANYONE to accomplish ANYTHING.

Well, then you are just an idiot, and they should take away your right to vote.

I don't think that's what this song is about. I think what we've got are a bunch of anti-Obama folks WISHING that's what this song were about.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    the fact that every single song on Avocado WAS political etc....

Explain to me how Big Wave is a political song.

Other than that... I thought you made some really good points and enjoyed your perspective on the new song.
  • Options

Other than that... I thought you made some really good points and enjoyed your perspective on the new song.

Or Life Wasted.

Or Parachutes (just because it says "war' does not mean it's political).

Unemployable is more of a social issues song. Not a political one ... but I'll still give it to you.

It takes some gymnastics to read Gone as a purely political song ... don't get fixated on the gas-in-my-tank line.

Come Back is about the living, coping with life after death.

Inside Job is about Mike's battle with addiction.

So not EVERY song Pearl Jam writes is political, although I'll admit they've gotten more and more overtly political lately. Which is cool. But it's starting to wear thin a bit.
  • Options
    It's about a dude giving out candy to fat chicks...
  • Options
    So not EVERY song Pearl Jam writes is political, although I'll admit they've gotten more and more overtly political lately. Which is cool. But it's starting to wear thin a bit.

What's starting to wear a bit thin is hearing No More at every concert... It was cool at Lolla with Ben Harper but then I heard it at Eddie's solo show in Chicago and both nights at MSG. So many other things I would rather hear Eddie play on the acoustic guitar during an encore.
  • Options
    Music means whatever it means to you. A song can be interpreted in many ways so does it really matter what it means to ed once its in your ears its all yours... who say's he's turned on obama to many people think they know so much about what pearl jam is thinking?
  • Options

What's starting to wear a bit thin is hearing No More at every concert... It was cool at Lolla with Ben Harper but then I heard it at Eddie's solo show in Chicago and both nights at MSG. So many other things I would rather hear Eddie play on the acoustic guitar during an encore.

I tend to agree. I'm hopeful we won't be hearing that song much anymore now that Bush isn't in charge.
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    It seems to be about freedom of choice.

(Oh No!!! That's more Devo.) ;)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    possomistspossomists Posts: 427
    Hope is the underdog. I think hope is what they got some of. I think its about people not being sure where they are at these days. The lyrics to me are saying to look at yourself, whats your condition. Snap out of it kinda deal. Get in now before its gone. They are trying to get everyone back on board.
    "you can say that we're, nocturnal, posssomists"
    -ed july 8th MSG 2004
  • Options
    I take it as a plea for the president to let his intentions be known, a push for peace and to take action.

The song has a lot of urgency which gives the feeling that there isn't anymore time to waste.
    ...The Moon is Rollin' Round....
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    Back_Pedal wrote:
    Has anyone actually worked out the lyrics yet? When i first heard it I thought he was saying "I got a song if you need it". I had to see the song title to get it, lol.

Me too, that's what I thought it was...and I like it better too. ;)

That's what I heard too.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    possomists wrote:
    Hope is the underdog. I think hope is what they got some of. I think its about people not being sure where they are at these days. The lyrics to me are saying to look at yourself, whats your condition. Snap out of it kinda deal. Get in now before its gone. They are trying to get everyone back on board.

Now I think we're onto something ... I don't think it has much specifically to do with Obama ... except that he's part of "everyone."
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Huh. I thought it was about the fictitious Rock Star persona singing to his girlfriend ... about his, you know...

But she's too busy arguing, bitching and moaning, fiddling with radio. Heck everyone in the houses around 'em are all carrying on, getting it on! He just wants to too! And he's got some if she needs it!

Or yeah, it could be Ed telling Obama that Ed has some spine to spare if O needs some.
    I kinda heard it more toward "grow a pair" than "if I sing one more cheer about hope and change this will all work out with unicorns and rainbows...." Dunno, just the vibe I got.

But that's just me. I hear ed singing about cajones or spine more than uh ... hope.
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    Back to Gremmie03...
    I think you nailed it. I don't think it's aimed at Obama or any particular group, but directed universally at mankind.

The general interpretation seems to be that folks can either call upon the love they have (for their fellow man) or just reside in their own passionless condition. I think the song's words implore us to use our love AND, if you don't have any - PJ's Got Some if you need it.

Whatever the meaning, I love the song and can't wait for the rest of the CD. :D
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    NS243053 wrote:
    This is post election. Talking about Obama or our government enlisting people to support change in times like these. Will you be on the can do..dems..or the cants repubs He declares Pearl Jam ready for duty
    Please no. I can't rock out to politics, I like World Wide Suicide but for me it's just hard to relate to the lyrics you know, even if I do disagree about the war, I prefer songs that express a feeling (this is why I love No Code) or tell a story. Just imo.
  • Options
    jimc3jimc3 Posts: 230
    anyone who thinks ANY American President can just completely and totally end a major, 6+ year war at the drop of a hat is delusional.

some of you people apparently prefer we have an authoritarian monarchy, instead of a constitutional republic.

first of all, Presidents don't "fund" wars (as someone alluded to earlier). Congress funds wars. it's a little thing called "checks and balances", maybe you've heard of it? or were you absent that day in 5th grade.

second, the President is the Commander-in-Chief, yes. however, "Commander-in-Chief" doesn't translate to "Supreme Warlord". there's a couple other people involved - who just happen to have a careers-worth more experience in defence/military matters than Obama does. The Secretary of Defense. The Joint Chiefs of Staff. the National Security Advisor. all the major players at the Pentagon, all of the multiple-star Generals of all the Armed Forces. a prudent Commander-in-Chief takes the advice and suggestions of all these people into account when making defence/military decisions.

look, anyone who is/was/always has been against the war has every right to do so and to want it to end. but seriously, reality has to play some part in the rationale here. think of the implications of just pulling ALL troops out IMMEDIATELY. the security of not only the local civilians but our troops themselves would be put into serious jeopardy. I think Obama has taken the safe and responsible approach - he is waiting for the security situation to dictate when the troops leave - in phases, over time.
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    Personally I think it's about the great war taking place on Azeroth in the World of Warcraft!

Horde vs. Alliance - WHAT SIDE ARE YOU ON !?!!?!@$$%!????

/nerd
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    These lyrics are too simplistic to make anything out of them,... seriously, not what I'm used to from Eddie.
    (not bashing the song in any way, just pointing out..)

There are more fillers there and fun, Rockin lingo than anything substantial.

And

They've got some, if you need it.
  • Options
    musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117

Or Life Wasted.

Or Parachutes (just because it says "war' does not mean it's political).

Unemployable is more of a social issues song. Not a political one ... but I'll still give it to you.

It takes some gymnastics to read Gone as a purely political song ... don't get fixated on the gas-in-my-tank line.

Come Back is about the living, coping with life after death.

Inside Job is about Mike's battle with addiction.

for what its worth, I was highly political in 06 when avocado came out, and felt I identified with every song.

The entire album is about various ways to cope with war.

Life Wasted is political. Its saying, I dont want to deal with feeling sad about things, the war, or politics, I want to live life to the fullest. That in itself is a political statement and action. This person decides that the way to live life during war is to seize the day.

Parachutes is about relationships. This person feels dealing with a war, should involve a partner or lover. Again, to act in that manner, to fall in love, or to need the support and love of someone else as a counter to war is a political action

Big Wave you could be right. Ed said it was a break in between the intense songs. That quote along suggests the majority of the record if not all except big wave is political. However ed does seem to view surfing as political, he said something like "any location mentioned in a beach boys song should be considered holy and not messed with". He was talking about pollution.

Unemployable is a political song. Its a person so stressed out with the world around him, with the issues of the day, with his job, with his boss, with trying to pay the bills, that he cant sleep and is going a little crazy. He feels sick. The refrain of scared alive is a political statement especially in these times. Its so easy to want to cower under a desk and hide, or not leave your bed, or go build a bunker. All make sense in these scary times. Yet, this person is scared alive. The war, and politics and their job and how crappy they are treated has made them appreciate life more and not want to waste it. Again, this is a political statement

Gone is overtly political. Its about feeling so pissed off at the war and the world that you want to pull a Into the Wild type move and just move out into the wilderness away from society, away from the city. How could this not be a political song.

come back obviously is about one of the ramones, but I listened to it and immediately thought of someone who lost their friend or lover in the war. Either they died or they are still in the war.

And Inside Job, is about how, in order to deal with the worlds problems, and be an activist, you first have to be able to sort out the issues in your own personal life. You have to find out who you are first, before you can really be a great activist.
  • Options
    cuyler41cuyler41 Posts: 383
    You need Kick ass rock n roll? PJ's Got Some!
  • Options
    fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    Flagg wrote:
    My shot at it. I think it is a thinly veiled push at Obama. Like "get your ass in gear" kind of thing.
    l?
    His ass in gear? Was he even in office when they wrote this?.. he's had what, 4 months to change the world?

Obama is escalating a war ed and the band were vehemently against. Obama's staff and administration is made up of people who voted for the war. And obama has been quoted as saying he will continue this war "with vigor". Do you honestly think ed and the band are gonna be pleased? Do you honestly think people on the board are gonna be pleased with obama for saying such a ridiculous thing? Obama has had 4 months, your right. He has had 4 months to end 2 illegal and immoral wars. He has had 4 months to start doing something about helping people who are losing their homes and jobs, as we are in the worst economic crisis since the great depression. He has had 4 freaking months to start talking seriously about majorly and fundamentally altering the global climate crisis. 4 months to help alter how we are treating our veterans who return from iraq, helping them deal with what they saw in combat, and helping them cope with how different civilian life is post- war.

4 months is a hell of a long time. And from my seat here, obama hasn't done a damn thing about any of those important issues I just talked about.

Obama isnt the most liberal president we have ever had, as people liked to suggest pre election. He isnt even left wing. He is a centrist democrat. maybe even a member of the rightwing of the democratic party.

I think as time passes, as the war continues, as people continue to lose their jobs and the world continues to go down the toilet you are gonna have some pissed off folks. And god help obama when that happens, because he certainly hasnt done much of anything to suggest he gives a damn about iraq vets, ordinary people who are losing houses and jobs, or polar bears in the arctic.

It's amazing how different the news is in Europe compared to the United States. We have a different picture of Obama than the one painted above. (Then again we don't have Fox News, thank God, and other misinformation.) So far I know, he wants to pull the troops out of Iraq. But just like any other political change, it doesn't happen overnight. For you can't undue eight years of horror, within four months. Expecting that, is expecting the impossible and actually helping and feeding - as a voting citizen - the anti Obama sentiment of the right. Because Bush went into this unnecessary war, with his guns blazing, the US (and it's coalition of the willing, including Holland I'm afraid) now does have a responsibility to undue some of the damage that is done.

Concerning the war in Afghanistan, however, that is a complete different story. That is also a complete different war and a Nato war at that. You can't compare the ethnic groups of Iraq with the Taliban. The Taliban is a highly political organized group with ties linked to Al Quada. (And these links are proven, unlike the "links" Saddam Hussein supposedly had with Bin Laden, which have been proven falsely.) What I gather from the campaign program of Obama, and also his policies, he never stated that he wanted to pull the troops out of Afghanistan. He actually wanted to intensify the war efforts in this area. The (supported) attacks in Pakistan are an example of that.

Expecting the changes you just mentioned, well, they are considering the (inter)national political climate and the time frame you give them, a bit too steep and unrealistic. How does Ed Vedder once sang? "Changes comes in waves."

Now concerning the song, I don't think it's an anti-Obama song, as a song for the American voters. They have to decide which side they take and what political changes they want. The way I interpert the song: Pearl Jam is singing it to the public and not to an individual (read: president).

Just my two cents.

Tony
  • Options
    fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    for what its worth, I was highly political in 06 when avocado came out, and felt I identified with every song.

Life Wasted is political. Its saying, I dont want to deal with feeling sad about things, the war, or politics, I want to live life to the fullest. That in itself is a political statement and action. This person decides that the way to live life during war is to seize the day.

Parachutes is about relationships. This person feels dealing with a war, should involve a partner or lover. Again, to act in that manner, to fall in love, or to need the support and love of someone else as a counter to war is a political action

Big Wave you could be right. Ed said it was a break in between the intense songs. That quote along suggests the majority of the record if not all except big wave is political. However ed does seem to view surfing as political, he said something like "any location mentioned in a beach boys song should be considered holy and not messed with". He was talking about pollution.

Unemployable is a political song. Its a person so stressed out with the world around him, with the issues of the day, with his job, with his boss, with trying to pay the bills, that he cant sleep and is going a little crazy. He feels sick. The refrain of scared alive is a political statement especially in these times. Its so easy to want to cower under a desk and hide, or not leave your bed, or go build a bunker. All make sense in these scary times. Yet, this person is scared alive. The war, and politics and their job and how crappy they are treated has made them appreciate life more and not want to waste it. Again, this is a political statement

Gone is overtly political. Its about feeling so pissed off at the war and the world that you want to pull a Into the Wild type move and just move out into the wilderness away from society, away from the city. How could this not be a political song.

come back obviously is about one of the ramones, but I listened to it and immediately thought of someone who lost their friend or lover in the war. Either they died or they are still in the war.

And Inside Job, is about how, in order to deal with the worlds problems, and be an activist, you first have to be able to sort out the issues in your own personal life. You have to find out who you are first, before you can really be a great activist.

Ps: I do agree with you that ST was a political album. It's the closest they ever got to a concept album. (If you don't count Vitalogy.) And all songs, even Big Wave in a philosophical abstract way, can be linked to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. I think it's too early though, because we only heard one song - well, maybe 1.5 - what the theme of this album is going to be. I'm hoping for something more personal and interspective than ST. (Personally.) The title of the album however, makes me think that this is also an anti-Bush album, in a sense that this is about "backspacing" the last eight years. I guess, we have to wait and see.
  • Options
    jimc3 wrote:
    anyone who thinks ANY American President can just completely and totally end a major, 6+ year war at the drop of a hat is delusional.

some of you people apparently prefer we have an authoritarian monarchy, instead of a constitutional republic.

first of all, Presidents don't "fund" wars (as someone alluded to earlier). Congress funds wars. it's a little thing called "checks and balances", maybe you've heard of it? or were you absent that day in 5th grade.

second, the President is the Commander-in-Chief, yes. however, "Commander-in-Chief" doesn't translate to "Supreme Warlord". there's a couple other people involved - who just happen to have a careers-worth more experience in defence/military matters than Obama does. The Secretary of Defense. The Joint Chiefs of Staff. the National Security Advisor. all the major players at the Pentagon, all of the multiple-star Generals of all the Armed Forces. a prudent Commander-in-Chief takes the advice and suggestions of all these people into account when making defence/military decisions.

look, anyone who is/was/always has been against the war has every right to do so and to want it to end. but seriously, reality has to play some part in the rationale here. think of the implications of just pulling ALL troops out IMMEDIATELY. the security of not only the local civilians but our troops themselves would be put into serious jeopardy. I think Obama has taken the safe and responsible approach - he is waiting for the security situation to dictate when the troops leave - in phases, over time.

first of all you are right about the President not having much power..it's the CFR that makes our foreign policy..Obama/Bush/Clinton, they are all Puppets..front men..scape goats...willing douche bags..BUT!! any one with half a brain knows politicians promise all kinds of stuff on the campaign trail then get into office and forget all about those promises..Obama is no different..i don't know when the kool-aid is going to wear off and all the Obama backers are going to see this man is a piece of shit like all the rest! yeah his tongue is more silver than Bush's..that is about the only difference...he's a fucking whore for the Military Industrial complex and the Zionists..PERIOD!!

we could pull all our troops out of the middle east no problem...but that wouldn't follow the Elites plans for resource control..see they can't go in with the IMF or world bank and take their shit the normal way becuase they have oil money in the middle east..so they need the guise of war and conflict to achieve their goals..any one who still thinks this is about freedom and democracy is in serious denial.

Obama is a fucking fraud just like all the rest before him...this system will never have a real Patriotic American in charge because it is corrupted & controlled right to the very core...ask JFK..he was the last one..and we all know what they did to him.

so i hope Ed is taking note and starting to see Obama is just another politician which = just another lieing douche bag...big fucking surprise!
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    wow

Way to take the words Got . Some . If . You . Need . It . a long way... :?
  • Options

Honestly, you are projecting a lot of your own feelings onto some of these songs, making them be about what you WISH they were about. Which is fine. You are free to do whatever you want to with music. If you want to believe Jeremy is about Jason Giambi's brother and Alive is about zombies, that's fine.

But it's not what Ed is writing about.

For instance, on "Life Wasted" Ed has TOLD us what it is about. He wrote it leaving Johnny Ramone's funeral. It's about that feeling you get at a funeral, how you realize life is short and you can't waste it. In that, this song is a spiritual cousin of Light Years. Not Bushleaguer.

Parachutes is indeed about relationships. It mentions war in one line out of many. But war isn't the theme. The song is a straight ahead love song. Not political.

Big Wave is no more a political song than "Surfin' Safari."

Unemployable, even as you've described it, is a SOCIAL song. He's describing a person's impossible situation. He's describing what it does to this man inside. He is NOT advocating a political solution. "Live life to the fullest," as you put it in your synopsis, is NOT a political statement. It's a personal one. Maybe in the sequel, the lead character uses his experience to run for mayor, where he affects change for the poverty-stricken in his town. That would make Unemployable II a politcal song. This song as it stands, is not.

Gone is not "overtly" political. The guy could be leaving town for any number of reasons. You've just ascribed your own feelings to it. There's is nothing in the lyrics that says he's "pissed off at the war." He's just pissed off at life. Maybe his girlfriend dumped him. Maybe he's the guy from Unemployable who lost his job. Maybe the lights of the city are too damn bright. Maybe he's running away from the zombies from "Alive." He just wants to pull an Into the Wild, as you say -- which, by the way, was NOT a political film. The basic human flight or fight response knows no politics. Gone is no more "overtly" political than MFC.

I actually agree with you about Come Back. I don't know who Ed meant it to be about, but its placement on the record -- directly after Army Reserve -- leads me to believe those two songs are related.

Inside Job, again, is about Mike's battle with various addictions. I mean, my God, many of the lyrics are lifted VERBATIM from Alcoholics Anonymous literature. Even the TITLE -- Inside Job -- comes from an AA idea. Ask yourself this: Why would Mike, self-admittedly the least politically motivated member of the band, write a political song for his first turn as a lyricist? He didn't. You're just ascribing your own beliefs on some of these songs, making them about what YOU want them to be about.

Which there is no law against, I suppose.
  • Options
    skyeriverwinterskyeriverwinter Posts: 1,894
    edited September 2009
    Post edited by skyeriverwinter on
  • Options
    Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    I was thinking that Eddie was just bragging about getting laid.

:lol::lol::lol:
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    jimc3 wrote:

Excellent points.

Really good debate going on here. I am sure the guys are happy with that.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    swardsward Posts: 586
    edited June 2009
    I've listened to the song about 40 times now. (Put it on your ipod and listen through ear phones..brings on a better listening experience). Anyway..How the hell can anyone get anything meaning wise out of the song?? You can really only make out 7 words. And from those lyrics, I'm pretty sure Eddie has something and wants to know if we need it. Obama? Politics? Huh?

I'm editing this in..but good job guys on the debate you have going on. Very interesting read.
    Post edited by sward on
  • Options
    sward wrote:
    I've listened to the song about 40 times now. (Put it on your ipod and listen through ear phones..brings on a better listening experience). Anyway..How the hell can anyone get anything meaning wise out of the song?? You can really only make out 7 words. And from those lyrics, I'm pretty sure Eddie has something and wants to know if we need it. Obama? Politics? Huh?

You can make out pretty much all the words, eventually. You can find the lyrics ... which seem pretty accurate ... elsewhere on this board.