Options

Meaning of Got Some

byrn3535byrn3535 Posts: 127
edited June 2009 in The Porch
I really dig this tune. Vocals are hard to pick out but It sounds like its about the rise and fall of a career. I don't know. Love it though. Can't wait for the studio version.

discuss
Byrn, (bye - earn)
"I wanna live my life with the volume full"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    It's about Eddie's days as a drug pusher.
    Straight down the center for a hot chicken dinner!
  • Options
    nice. that was my first thought
    Byrn, (bye - earn)
  • Options
    NS243053NS243053 Posts: 1
    This is post election. Talking about Obama or our government enlisting people to support change in times like these. Will you be on the can do..dems..or the cants repubs He declares Pearl Jam ready for duty
  • Options
    it's called got some
  • Options
    Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    Has anyone actually worked out the lyrics yet? When i first heard it I thought he was saying "I got a song if you need it". I had to see the song title to get it, lol.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    Back_Pedal wrote:
    Has anyone actually worked out the lyrics yet? When i first heard it I thought he was saying "I got a song if you need it". I had to see the song title to get it, lol.

Ha! I actually like that lyric much better than what it really is. A lot more.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    I was thinking that Eddie was just bragging about getting laid.
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    I got some if ya need it.

Got some what?

My guess is something like... hope?
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    My shot at it. I think it is a thinly veiled push at Obama. Like "get your ass in gear" kind of thing.

Every night with the lights out, where’ve you gone? What’s wrong?
    Every time you can try but can’t turn on your rock song
    I got some if you need it

Get it now, get it on before its gone
    Let’s everybody carry on, carry on
    Turn it up, set it off before we’re gone
    Let’s everybody carry on, get it on

This situation, which side are you on?
    Are you on the ride? Are you falling out?
    Let me know. Come on let’s go, yeah!

Get it now, get it on before we’re gone
    Let’s everybody get it on, get it on

Are you on the rise? Are you falling down?
    Let me know, come on let’s go, yeah!

This situation, what side are you on?
    Are you dropping bombs, are you getting out?
    Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? Yeah!

Get it now, get it all before its gone
    Set it off, turn it up before we’re gone

Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? Yeah

Precipitation, which side are you on?
    Are you drying up, are you a big drop?
    Are you a puddle full of detrimental?
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
    i think its quite clearly a political song.

with lines like :

its clearly about the current political climate, and I do think its a pointed anti obama song.

They are demanding the troops be pulled out now and are asking obama, what side are you on? Are you gonna keep dropping bombs or are you gonna bring them home?
  • Options
    i also think its suggesting, that music, and not obama is our real hope in these time.

That rock music a good tune can keep you going
  • Options
    Why would it necessarily be anti-Obama. Can you not just ask a question without hating them?
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Why would it necessarily be anti-Obama. Can you not just ask a question without hating them?
    Ok answer me this..

They wrote a song to help him get elected, right?

Why would they write an anti-Obama song right after?

Pearl Jam DID NOT write an anti-Obama song.

Check back on the next album.. and stop being retarded, people.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Flagg wrote:
    My shot at it. I think it is a thinly veiled push at Obama. Like "get your ass in gear" kind of thing.
    l?
    His ass in gear? Was he even in office when they wrote this?.. he's had what, 4 months to change the world?
  • Options
    Ok answer me this..

They wrote a song to help him get elected, right?

Why would they write an anti-Obama song right after?

Pearl Jam DID NOT write an anti-Obama song.

Check back on the next album.. and stop being retarded, people.

Ed and the band are principled individuals. And I think they know whats up. Obama isnt antiwar. And he isnt pulling troops out. He is patricipating in escalating a war that is unbelievably unpopular. He will not pull out the troops. He does not believe that diplomacy is the answer.

So I ask you, if those facts are true, and I see no reason why they arent true, Why would the band support such an individual right now? Yes they voted for him, but do you really think they are gonna just sit back and say "yeah obama", when he is escalating a war they stood up against?

And Bush isnt in office anymore. We and the band can moan all day and night about how bad bush was and how he started two stupid and needless wars, but the truth is, Bush isnt in office. Obama is. Obama has the power to bring the troops home. And he isnt going to. How Obama reasons that continuing these insane wars is a wise path is beyond me, because anyone that thinks either war is winnable is insane, literally. Insanity means to continue down a path that is proven to be bad. To do something over and over again, with the same result every time, and you continue doing it, thinking the result will be different, when we all know the result will be the same: dead american soldiers, and dead civilians.

Why would they write an AntiBush tune in 2009? They have done that already. Bush is gone.

The time is now. Its 2009. We have a new president, who seems as reckless and as deaf to the public as our previous president. People are sick of these damn wars and they want it to end.

I for one applaud ed and the guys for writing a biting angry song at Obama.

The troops should be home right now. They shouldnt be dying in some foreign country.

The question has been asked: Which side are you on? Which side are you on? Which side are you on Obama?

Didnt you see that new book or documentary mentioned on the Moving Train? Howard Zinn has a new book out I think and its all about what he thinks Obama should be doing. Ed contributed to it. I havent seen Ed's article, but knowing Zinn, who has repeatedly demanded obama become antiwar, it stands to reason ed wont be quoted in the book as saying "obama is right on, his views on war are in accordance with mine"
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    i also think its suggesting, that music, and not obama is our real hope in these time.

I think that's just what you're suggesting, so you read it into any artist you like. I mean, no offense, but you think EVERY song is a political song.
  • Options
    Flagg wrote:
    l?
    His ass in gear? Was he even in office when they wrote this?.. he's had what, 4 months to change the world?

Obama is escalating a war ed and the band were vehemently against. Obama's staff and administration is made up of people who voted for the war. And obama has been quoted as saying he will continue this war "with vigor". Do you honestly think ed and the band are gonna be pleased? Do you honestly think people on the board are gonna be pleased with obama for saying such a ridiculous thing? Obama has had 4 months, your right. He has had 4 months to end 2 illegal and immoral wars. He has had 4 months to start doing something about helping people who are losing their homes and jobs, as we are in the worst economic crisis since the great depression. He has had 4 freaking months to start talking seriously about majorly and fundamentally altering the global climate crisis. 4 months to help alter how we are treating our veterans who return from iraq, helping them deal with what they saw in combat, and helping them cope with how different civilian life is post- war.

4 months is a hell of a long time. And from my seat here, obama hasn't done a damn thing about any of those important issues I just talked about.

Obama isnt the most liberal president we have ever had, as people liked to suggest pre election. He isnt even left wing. He is a centrist democrat. maybe even a member of the rightwing of the democratic party.

I think as time passes, as the war continues, as people continue to lose their jobs and the world continues to go down the toilet you are gonna have some pissed off folks. And god help obama when that happens, because he certainly hasnt done much of anything to suggest he gives a damn about iraq vets, ordinary people who are losing houses and jobs, or polar bears in the arctic.
  • Options

I think that's just what you're suggesting, so you read it into any artist you like. I mean, no offense, but you think EVERY song is a political song.

hate to tell you buddy, but we arent talking the jonas brothers or miley cyrus. The band is Pearl Jam, one of the more outspoken bands politically and socially of our generation. We could spend days discussing the political songs in their catalogue, the benefits for politicians or causes that they have endorsed or played, the political websites they link to via Pearljam.com, the fact that every single song on Avocado WAS political etc...

So no, I dont think its outrageous to suggest in our highly politicized time, that a politically aware band like Pearl Jam would write a political song.

I dont know what ever have me the idea that this was a political song? I mean how DARE I think such a thing.

So how else could the lines like

read?

I mean, PJ have never been one for metaphors and beating around the bush. They arent Dylan and never set out to be. Its always been pretty cut and dried lyrics. WWS wasnt some out there song, it was clear what they were saying.

So what could they be talking about besides the war?

Dropping bombs, getting out, diplomatic resolve? Seems to me to be pretty damn clear.
  • Options

obama's in office, presiding over two wars he thinks are worth fighting. Bush left January 20th. period. end of story.
  • Options

far as im concerned, people earn my respect. I dont respect the people who continue to fund and back this war.
  • Options
    Everyone who pays taxes funds this war in a way.

And that's who I think this song is aimed at. Everyone. America and Americans for the current apathy towards our military endeavors. Obama may be included in that group but ed's speaking to a larger audience. Just my two cents.
  • Options
    it's called got some

Yep, stupid me, Oops freudian slip perhaps
    Byrn, (bye - earn)
  • Options
    I figured it was political, but some of the lyrics are very open to interpretation, Metaphoric. Maybe there's more there than the obvious.
    Byrn, (bye - earn)
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,123
    Back_Pedal wrote:

Me too, that's what I thought it was...and I like it better too. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Gremmie03Gremmie03 Posts: 502
    I think this song deals more with the ability of an indivual to make change.

Every night with the lights out, where’ve you gone? What’s wrong?
    what did you add to the betterment of society

Every time you can try but can’t turn on your rock song
    You thought about doing something but didnt

I can help

Get it now, get it on before its gone
    Let’s everybody carry on, get it on

Help push for change

Are you on the ride? Are you falling out?
    Let me know. Come on let’s go, yeah!

Action

Obviously political

Precipitation, which side are you on?
    Are you drying up, are you a big drop?
    Are you a puddle full of detrimental?

How much does one want to act, is it just going out to vote or is it doing more.

my $.02
    Demented and sad, but social
    Wrigley Earthcam/Hartford 2013
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure that in either Army of Darkness or one of the Evil Dead movies Bruce Campbell's character Ash says, "...get some," before a fight. So... I would like to think the song is about the character Ash. (I know it's not though:D )
  • Options
    MakingWavesMakingWaves Posts: 1,288
    Gremmie03 wrote:
    I think this song deals more with the ability of an indivual to make change.

I think along the same lines as you. After Obama was elected this country had such a positive feeling of hope. But in the past few months things have gotten really fucked up with the economy and people are starting to lose hope (layoffs and nothing but negative news about the economy). But I think this song is saying we shouldn't lose hope, we can make the change and get things back right...and Eddie seems to have lots of hope...he's got some if you need it.
    Seeing visions of falling up somehow.

Pensacola '94
    New Orleans '95
    Birmingham '98
    New Orleans '00
    New Orleans '03
    Tampa '08
    New Orleans '10 - Jazzfest
    New Orleans '16 - Jazzfest
    Fenway Park '18
    St. Louis '22
  • Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    Just wanted to say I'm enjoying this thread... keep it going!

Gremmie03 - good job! I'm nodding....

:)
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    I don't want to read former answers before I have my clear one.
    The words:"are U dropping bombs" and "have U heard about diplomatic resolves" is all about THE war - Iraq and USA.

This is still a calling of peace.
    And it's clear for me. I want to undersand it this way, it suits me.

Now I can read others responses.
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    edited June 2009

That's cool. But it would contradict quite literally with things Ed was saying less than a year ago, about how a rock song can't change the world, blah blah blah ... but if all the people gathered together at a particular rock show put their energies together, they could affect real change.

And just now, as I typed those words, it hit me: Maybe THAT'S what this song is about.

I can also buy the idea that it's a "gentle nudge" at Obama. If it's a "slam" at Obama ... that's a little ridiculous considering not long ago, Ed was unfurling giant Obama banners at his show and lionizing him in Wishlist tags. It's a little early to be turning on him so quick.

I didn't vote for Obama. But if Ed is turning on him so quickly, Ed's a fickle jackass. I think anyone with a brain understood that whoever was elected, it was going to take more than five months to turn this shit around.

EDIT: I should clarify I don't think that's what's going on in this song. I agree with other posters that it's more likely something broader about one's ability to affect change. Just because one "verse" might be about war doesn't mean the whole song is. As with much of Ed's work, you can't get fixated on just one line.
    Post edited by slightofjeff on
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do