Options

*** Philadelphia 1 Fanviews Here 10/27/09 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,932
edited March 2010 in Given To Fly (live)
October 27, 2009 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Wachovia Spectrum Arena
Opening Band: Social Distortion

Set List: Corduroy, Whipping, Hail Hail, Supersonic, Dissident, Unthought Known, Faithfull, Parachutes, Unemployable, Immortality, Green Disease, Not For You/Modern Girl (Sleater Kinney), Rival, Nothingman, Ghost, Do The Evolution, Why Go

1st encore: Bee Girl, Just Breathe with string quartet, The End with string quartet, All Those Yesterdays, State Of Love And Trust, Mankind, The Fixer, Go

2nd encore: Daughter, Love Reign O'er Me (Townshend), Black, Leash, Rearviewmirror, Rockin' In The Free World (Young)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
Please try to keep the thread for Fanviews....
Thank you :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    So jealous of everyone that was able to partake in this insane event!
  • Options
    Great setlist. Hope Daughter makes another appearance 2-3-4.
    MSG - 6/25/08 EV Solo Tower Theatre - 06/11/09
    Philly 2 - 10/28/09 Philly 3 - 10/30/09
    Philly 4 - 10/31/09
    Boston 1 - 05/17/10
    PruCenter - 05/18/10
    MSG 1 - 05/20/10
    MSG 2 - 05/21/10
    Alpine1 - 09/03/11 Alpine2 - 09/04/11
  • Options
    ragejoeragejoe Agawam Mass Posts: 1,413
    So jealous of everyone that was able to partake in this insane event!

Seems like a really unbelievable show for night 1... if you think LA 3 LA 4 Sandiego and now this show... thats 4 UNREAL shows in a row... guess they have hit their stride

god i want friday to be right now! I wanna be in my seats and the lights going down and the ROCKY THEME starting hahahaha
    1998 Tour- Hartford 9/13
    2000 Tour- Saratoga 8/27 Boston 8/29, 8/30
    2003 Tour- Albany 4/29 Boston 7/2,7/3,7/11 Philadelphia 7/5,7/6 MSG 7/8,7/9
    2004 Tour-
    Boston 9/28,9/29
    2006 Tour-
    Albany 5/12 Hartford 5/13 Boston 5/24,5/25
    2008 Tour-
    MSG 6/24,6/25 Hartford 6/27 Boston 6/28,6/30 Eddie- Boston 8/1
    2009 Tour-
    Eddie- Albany 6/9 Philly Spectrum- 10/30, 10/31
    2010 Tour-
    Hartford 5/15 MSG 5/20,5/21
    2011 Tour-
    Eddie- Hartford 6/18
    2013 Tour- Worcester,MA 10/15,10/16 Hartford 10/25
    2016 Tour- MSG 5/1,5/2 FENWAY 8/5,8/7
    2018 Tour- Fenway 9/2, 9/4 (My 40th show)!
  • Options
    What an awesome setlist.

So much for the rumours. Not only does Stone play, he actually gets to sing as well.

Cant wait for the boys to get to oz next month.
  • Options
    does anyone have any extra tix for sale friday? WERE IN DESPERATE NEED OF A FEW!!! PLEASE HELP
  • Options
    Magical! Super high energy. Perfect kick off to four day event. One of the rarest coolest sets. Eddie said they are going to try and play every song they know in this stand. Including playing til 2am sat!! Amazing. Ridiculous. Beautiful!
    Evolution Music Studios presents:
    DO THE EVOLUTION - a 20th Anniversary Tribute Celebration
    of PEARL JAM - WORLD CAFE LIVE PHILLY JUNE 19th 7pm
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,359
    Great show with a lot of energy. The crowd made it a super show. I think Pearl Jam is keeping the tambourine industry alive. 12-15 of them made it to the crowd during RITFW. Mankind! Holy shit. I heard them sound checking it, but didn't believe it would make it tonight's performance.
  • Options
    bbrinkebbrinke Posts: 98
    Amazing show, great songs, and a fantastic crowd, this does not need to be said, but Ed was singing tonight!
  • Options
    Great show! The harder songs like Evolution, RVM, and Go were really inspired. Bring on night 2!!!
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    edited October 2009
    wow. i wasn't sure if these shows could live up to the hype, but so far they've exceeded it! i really need to go to bed since i need to wake up in less than five hours to work and do it all again, but don't want to forget! my highlights were:

-the awesome video montage of special spectrum moments they played before the boys came out to THE ROCKY MUSIC!!! i love rocky almost as much as i love PJ so this was like a dream come true. :P
    -all those yesterdays. that is the one song i wanted to hear more than anything in these four shows and it sounded incredible live!
    -the crowd energy was amazing and the band fed off that. they commented several times on what a great crowd it was. my favorite was a disgruntled concert goer who was clearly new at this complaining "i came to see pearl jam and i couldn't even hear pearl jam". :mrgreen:
    -the joking about the rumors going around the pit about stone leaving the band. ed joked that stone wanted out to take care of his family and stuff and since they could only play 2 songs without him they begged him to rejoin...and he agreed only if he could sing...intro to mankind!
    -that might have been the best version of black i heard!
    -ed's several references to the spectrum and how they want to do it proud and are honored to be the last ones to play there. said he heard bruce tore the roof off the place and they weren't just going to be there as the clean up crew.
    -ed saying how it's always exciting when they come to philly but he can't believe all the stuff going on this week with the world series and the spectrum coming down and halloween... and the transit strike...lol
    -RIVAL!!! GHOST!!!

and finally.... ED SAYING THEY ARE GOING TO PLAY EVERY SONG THEY KNOW BY 2 AM SATURDAY. AAAHHHH!!!!!!!!!

there's so much more but that's what comes to mind right now. i'm so happy there are three more days of this!!!!
    Post edited by nfanel on
  • Options
    God I love this fucking band!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, to own these boots..............I cannot wait........... :):):):)
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • Options
    This is going to be an incredible week. What a start.
  • Options
    KM43590KM43590 Posts: 298
    HEY! HEY! HEY! HEY! .... just got home from the show, and just one word will do, F'n INCREDIBLE!!!! and after seeing PJ almost 20 times in 20 years, this was almost the best yet. The show had great energy, and the spectrum is the best place in the area to see this band! And, I'm proud to say i brought my Mother along, this was her second PJ show, and she was very impressed. I wanted her to see the Spectrum one last time, her first date with my father was there in the 70's to see ELVIS! so i'm happy to say that after tonight, the great memory of The Spectrum will always be with us! I can't wait to see what they have in store for tomorrow nights show, see you there! thanks PJ, peace.
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    Any Social D reviews?

I'm so fucking jealous...
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    nfanel wrote:

and finally.... ED SAYING THEY ARE GOING TO PLAY EVERY SONG THEY KNOW BY 2 AM SATURDAY. AAAHHHH!!!!!!!!!

That was one of the highlights of the night....hearing this.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    nukeboot wrote:
    Any Social D reviews?

I'm so fucking jealous...
    oh yeah, and social d was hands down the best opening act i have seen for pj!
  • Options
    NastasjaNastasja Posts: 9,668
    Best Black-version ever?
    Oh no....now my jealousy gets out of hand :?
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets,
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself
  • Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,641
    Thanks for one hell of a ride PJ. Can't wait for the next 3 shows! We are def. getting some rarieties. Wonder why they didn't save Ghost for Halloween? A really excellent show tonight. Ed's vocals were flawless. Love Reigns fuckin tore the roof off!
  • Options
    marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    The Rocky theme really set the tone. It felt like a prize fight! So amazing. Everyone be ready to rock your socks off. I forgot what it was like to leave a concert and your ears were ringing and have no voice left.
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    HOLY . FUCKING . SHIT .
    words cannot express how incredible this show was. just look at that setlist!!! parachutes, green disese, nothingman, GHOST, RIVAL, ALL THOSE YESTERDAYS, mankind, solat .. AHHH 31 songs .. an 8 song encore. ONLY NIGHT 1. I am soooo lucky to be able to go to all 4 of these shows. this is going to be totally wild. plus ed said they're going to try and play all the songs they know! eds voice tonight was fucking amazing and the band was on fire, especially stone, who put to rest all the dumb rumors in hysterical fashion. such a great, fun, high energy, and TIGHT show. absolutely amazing. SO ready for nights 2, 3, and 4! :D
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,276
    Okay, we are back at the hotel, having a midngiht snack/early breakfast of Dunkin Donuts. :)

First of all, my seats were great -- thanks Ten Club! Section 201 was far better than I expected with my 400,000+ number.

Social Distortion sounded great. I am glad we were there in plenty of time to hear them.

PJ was -- what can I say that has not been said before? The guys were awesome. I thought the highlight of the night was "Immortality" -- not one of my personal favorites, but as my husband said, "It is now!" -- Absolutely amazing, mind-blowing version of that song.

Other high points: "Ghost"! I get that song a lot on my iPod when I am running, and I have to say I think it is one of PJ's most underrated songs. "Just Breathe" and "The End" were lovely -- I teared up a little listening to them. My ten-year-old, who sat with me, was ecstatic because the second encore opened with "Daughter," "LROM" and "Black" -- three of his favorites.

Oh, and I thought "The Fixer" sounded excellent live.

Eddie's comments about the Stone rumors were pretty funny -- Scrabble championship, etc. :lol:

Thanks to the people sitting near us who were so cool to my son. Thanks also to the poor woman standing/sitting next to me, for her understanding; I bumped into her a lot. :oops: Warning to those sitting near me: I ran eight miles this morning, and I am not running on Wednesday, so watch out! :oops:

We are going to need to seriously hydrate and take our vitamins to make it to Sunday! We all are looking forward to the remaining shows, though.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    Just got home from the show. My 15th overall, and I think probably the best. Can't wait for tomorrow and Saturday, unfortunately not going Friday. Thanks 10C for the great seats-18th row dead center! See everyone there tomorrow night!!!
  • Options
    katelliskatellis Posts: 513
    edited June 2015
    --
    Post edited by katellis on
  • Options
    NYbenbenNYbenben Posts: 1,020
    Just got back from the show... it was amazing... crowd was awesome... dont think a single person sat down for 2+ hrs. Cant wait for tomorrow nite to see what stops they pull out!
    4/12/92, 8/11/92, 9/28/96, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 7/9/03, 4/30/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 12/9/05, 5/12/06, 5/17/06, 5/28/06, 6/3/06, 12/9/06, EV LA 4/12-4/13/08, 6/12/08, 6,19,08, 6,20,08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 7/1/08

and still jonesing for another show....
    "the waiting drove me mad..."
  • Options
    4 letters sum it up OMFG!
    Oh my... some rarities, lots of rockers from the start to finish.. And only night 1. Another expirement of going through the whole catalog over the 4 shows was declared so we can bet remaining 3 will be awesome. at least i got tickets to 2 of them. overstimulated to say the least.
    So many amazing shows! Thank you.
  • Options
    :shock: Can't f'in wait till Friday!!!
    PJ FANS ROCK!!!

Finally got that "One for the Thumb"!!! Got the "Six Pack". Now we're on a "Stairway to Seven"

Some words when spoken...can't be taken back.

"Seeing a brick wall straight ahead and stepping on the gas." Eddie...Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • Options
    Wow, what an amazing show.. Corduroy was an unbelievable opener.. I was also happy to hear State of Love and Trust, All Those Yesterdays, Black and Leash. What am I talking about- the whole set was great.. The 2nd encore was incredible.. Hopefully, I can make it to Friday's show and I wish I could do Saturday's. Thanks PJ. Btw- Whoever gets to hear Crazy Mary this week, I am going to be jealous.
  • Options
    To be simple, I don't know what just happened to me. Pearl Jam came to Philly, they smacked us in the face and said take that!!! and there are gonna be 3 more shows!!!!! 8-)

We are so lucky to have them playing Philly right now!! I forgot how small the spectrum was, it is the greatest place to see a show.

And 10club your the best, my seats ROCKED!!!
    I shit and I stink, I'm real, join the club.
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    real quick my legs are sore:
    PJ sound: amazing
    song selection: awesome (fed off unenthusiastic crowd)
    crowd pitiful...sucked, terrible, very little energy, felt like a presidential gala at $100 per plate(nose in air) or a wake, where were 400 level people, no sell out.

the show is as good as the crowd and the energy, PJ held back considering they have 4 shows in 5 nights and another tomrw, the crowd was unenergetic. i was in aisle in 103 i turned around all night to see a morgue of fans sittting standing around unenthusiastic. sorry but its true, i even asked tommy the pit security and he agreed the crowd was a let down. he said he staying home tomrw to watch the phils the, pj pansies dont need him. said springsteen crowd was much more "lively" hahah soccer moms and beer belly dads.... weak!!

my hi-lite was dancin around all the drips standing there looking dreary eyed at the stage- me black button down with glasses in aisle 103

for those that were there: hope u had a great time, for those that werent: u didnt miss
    much

see u tomrw, look for me

ps: dirty rats at tony lukes closed early, my buddy said they didnt want to serve the PJ crowd until 1 or 2 am, im callin for a boycott....no tony lukes closed at 11:53am tonight
  • Options
    With Social Distortion opening, I knew it was going to be a great show anyway, and I am pleased to say that it exceeded my expectations. Social D rocked 10 songs: making beleive, mommy's little monster, sick boy, don't drag me down, ring of fire, bad luck, reach for the sky, ball and chain, nickels and dimes, and prison bound. It was like a greatest hits set, but very good (with an excellent arangement on prison bound). Onto the headliner, where can I start, it was a great show, excellent crowd and awesome set list. I was thrilled to hear rival and reign o'er me, I have been waiting to hear this live and finally got the opportunity to do so. Very strong set from beggining to end. I was excited for these shows before tonight, and after this show I'm even more amped for 2, 3,and 4. Can't wait until tomorrow.
    B Robinette