Options

If the band LOVES vinyl so damn much...

my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
edited December 2012 in The Porch
then why dont they go ahead and re-issue all of their studio albums in normal fashion like everyone else does, and has frankly, so that their fans and fellow vinyl lovers can pick up their favorite Pearl Jam LP's for normal prices instead of the crackhead high prices that they have been going for in the secondadry market the last 5+ years...

stop with the $150 super deluxe boxset reissue's (unless you do it like Ten where you offered both the boxset with the live LP for $150 and the regular LP for regular price), and $75 "leftover" LP sales at art conventions, and just let your fans buy their favorite LP from their favorite band for $20... your business plan of milking this bullshit cow for as long as you can with overpriced reissues and forcing your die hard fans to either pay several hundred dollars for an LP on ebay, or never hear it on vinyl, is a joke at this point my friends... you want to cash in? reissue every album at once.... i guarantee that if you release every PJ LP for a normal $20-$25 price i will buy every single one, directly from you... and guess what, so will everyone else...

as a band and fanclub arent you sick of seeing people saying $75 for an LP is a "great price"? aren't you sick of seeing these same LP's selling on ebay to YOUR fans for $200-$300? dont you want your fans and friends to enjoy your music on high quality vinyl? for a fair price? i think it's time to step up

vinyl has been back for quite a few years now, and i think it is time to let your fans spink the black circle

viva la vinyl
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I agree, I would love a copy of No Code and Yield without having to pay 100+
    2013 : London, Buffalo
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    i agree. I can buy the complete discography of bands even more iconic and also of bands that aren't anything special for $20 each album but getting PJ albums are extremely expensive if you don't buy it right away. Someone also told me that their vinyl albums are pressed from the CD. So i guess they lose any advantages that come with vinyl (some of which may not be picked up by ears anyway but still).
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Thank you OP :thumbup:
  • Options
    eyejackereyejacker Posts: 1,282
    Reissue everything please!!
    Thanks OP!! Well said!!

I dream of the day that I go to my local music store and they have a PJ vinyl section.
    What the band should do is empty their warehouse on the website for fans only, at the convention prices, and then reissue the LPs for a regular price. Whoever wants a first press can spend $75 and whoever wants to hear the music can spend $20. I am more than happy with my Into the Wild re-issue.

PLEASE!?!? :|
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    :thumbup:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    NAUjackfanNAUjackfan Phoenix Posts: 2,340
    eyejacker wrote:
    Thanks OP!! Well said!!

I dream of the day that I go to my local music store and they have a PJ vinyl section.
    What the band should do is empty their warehouse on the website for fans only, at the convention prices, and then reissue the LPs for a regular price. Whoever wants a first press can spend $75 and whoever wants to hear the music can spend $20. I am more than happy with my Into the Wild re-issue.

Even the ITW re-release is hard to find.
    tumblr_mtr9t5SROk1r0d33so1_400.gif
    Click to visit the Arizona PJ Fans Page

PJ
    PHX 98|ABQ, PHX, Seattle 00|PHX 03|Arras 10|PJ20 1&2 11|Missoula 12|PHX, SD, LA 1&2 13|Denver 14|Telluride 16
    EV
    Vegas 1&2, PHX 12|Ohana 16
    TOTD
    LA 16
  • Options
    NAUjackfan wrote:
    eyejacker wrote:
    Thanks OP!! Well said!!

There's plenty on discogs sealed for about $30. I'm sure it won't be too hard to pick up at a good record store under the soundtracks section... It should be available on 10C though.
    I got my copy at my local for about $30.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,582
    Here here! Just plain old reissues that we can get for $20 or whatever please! If PJ doesn't want to feel like a nostalgia band, then quit with the pricey box sets and just release nice simple reissues. And PLEASE. Make them SINGLE DISC reissues only! Enough with the double LPs for regular length albums. I know there is an imperceptible improvement in sound by doing that, but I am seriously getting sick of having to get up and turn the record every 3 songs. :roll: I thought I'd get the Vitalogy reissue so that I could save my first pressing, but now I'm exclusively spinning that one just so that I get all of side A and all of side B in single sittings.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Part of the vinyl appeal is its scarcity.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    eyejacker wrote:
    NAUjackfan wrote:
    eyejacker wrote:
    Thanks OP!! Well said!!

There's plenty on discogs sealed for about $30. I'm sure it won't be too hard to pick up at a good record store under the soundtracks section... It should be available on 10C though.
    I got my copy at my local for about $30.
    Yeah, I got mine for $30, new, from one of those record companies that sell on eBay. That was only last month I think. And they are on Amazon.ca for $27.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I completely disagree!!!! That has absolutely NOTHING to do with its appeal to me.
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,208
    in addition to making the albums available again, make sure they're not just a copy of a digital source. several pearl jam lps should sound much better than they do. sound quality should be important, no?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I completely disagree!!!! That has absolutely NOTHING to do with its appeal to me.

Right...but the topic isn't why PJ_Soul loves vinyl.

One of the appeals to vinyl collectors in general is its scarcity.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited December 2012

Maybe to collectors but i'm pretty sure most people here just want to be able to listen to these things on their turntable. Just like the rise in vinyl sales these days isn't because of collectors anymore.

Properly mastering their vinyl releases should be the main subject here. The fact that they're so hard to find is embarassing and ridiculous. We shouldn't even have to discuss this when every single band today has their whole catalog for purchase on Amazon and Best Buy.com.
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

+1

There are so many reasons vinyl rocks and that is not one of them.
  • Options
    eyejacker wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

+1

There are so many reasons vinyl rocks and that is not one of them.

There are...including its scarcity.
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,208

part of the pearl jam vinyl appeal is scarcity, but that applies only to collectors (and flippers) appeal and not those who appreciate vinyl.
  • Options
    guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221

Not true at all. The appeal of the vinyl is the sound quality and the interaction you get to have with your music while you listen. Vinyl can not just be background music, it requires your presence. You have to flip the record, you watch as the needle moves closer to the center, you play drinking games to see who will have to get up to flip the record, you curse when your brand new record skips, you handle your music with more care than you gave your first born child. Vinyl would appeal to many more if it wasn't scarce.

Please Pearl Jam...just re-release it for all to enjoy!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

The thing is that true collectors will also buy the re-issues just to be completists. The original pressings will not decrease in value for a true collector. Otherwise old Beatles albums would sell for peanuts...
    But it will still give everyone the chance to own the music.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Yeah, that the thread wasn't all about me was implied in the first place, but thanks for the clarification. :roll: Just offering my personal opinion.

But I still totally disagree on a wider scale. :lol: I think a LOT of people just want the vinyl for normal or normal-ish prices because they love the sound of it and love the process of playing. I think those collectors who care about scarcity (and therefore like to pay ridiculous prices for it) are a small minority. I mean, those are the people who never PLAY their vinyl. I don't actually think that makes up a very significant number of those who buy vinyl.
  • Options
    As a graphic designer, one of the main reasons I collect vinyl is also the size of the artwork.
    There are just SO many reasons......
  • Options
    MangoMango Brisbane, Australia (via Dublin, Ireland) Posts: 1,049
    Hmmm hard to argue with the OP. I dont think TEN, Vs or Vitalogy would be worth re-pressing at this stage as there's heaps around. But the rest? Why not. I don't understand how there were so many Backspacers pressed and so few Avocado. What is clearly evident is that there is a shit load of BS not being sold and a shit load of people who want the self titled. So a re-pressing would solve that. Rumours of a No Code re-issue in the same format as the previous box sets would be interesting but my own personal opinion is that the band should be looking forward and not backwards. They could easily re-press this as it is and get it out. Same for the rest Yield, Riot Act etc etc.

Quite simply if there is a demand for more albums to be made available in LP format why not produce them? I don't know how the manufacturers run these numbers wise but you would assume it is the more you order the cheaper it is. Solution? Run a pre-order via 10c and round it off. Give everyone a time frame to order what they want, do the maths and tally-ho. This way you don't end up with hundreds of extras in a saturated market.

Thats just off the top of my head. Essentially I would be happy to see more fans get more of what they want and reduce the eBay 2nd-hand cost market. If they don't even want to consider this, so be it. Thats life.
    "Life comes from within your heart and desire"
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Yeah, that the thread wasn't all about me was implied in the first place, but thanks for the clarification. :roll: Just offering my personal opinion.

But I still totally disagree on a wider scale. :lol: I think a LOT of people just want the vinyl for normal or normal-ish prices because they love the sound of it and love the process of playing. I think those collectors who care about scarcity (and therefore like to pay ridiculous prices for it) are a small minority. I mean, those are the people who never PLAY their vinyl. I don't actually think that makes up a very significant number of those who buy vinyl.

Just because it's scarce doesn't mean you're paying ridiculous prices for it.
    Collectibility aside, if there's an album I don't enjoy as much as I used to, it's nice that I can get rid of it for nearly the price that I bought it for.

There's many reasons to enjoy vinyl, and scarcity is one piece of the puzzle.
  • Options
    Mango wrote:
    Hmmm hard to argue with the OP. I dont think TEN, Vs or Vitalogy would be worth re-pressing at this stage as there's heaps around. But the rest? Why not. I don't understand how there were so many Backspacers pressed and so few Avocado. What is clearly evident is that there is a shit load of BS not being sold and a shit load of people who want the self titled. So a re-pressing would solve that. Rumours of a No Code re-issue in the same format as the previous box sets would be interesting but my own personal opinion is that the band should be looking forward and not backwards. They could easily re-press this as it is and get it out. Same for the rest Yield, Riot Act etc etc.

Quite simply if there is a demand for more albums to be made available in LP format why not produce them? I don't know how the manufacturers run these numbers wise but you would assume it is the more you order the cheaper it is. Solution? Run a pre-order via 10c and round it off. Give everyone a time frame to order what they want, do the maths and tally-ho. This way you don't end up with hundreds of extras in a saturated market.

Thats just off the top of my head. Essentially I would be happy to see more fans get more of what they want and reduce the eBay 2nd-hand cost market. If they don't even want to consider this, so be it. Thats life.
    Ten, Vs, and Vitalogy have already been reissued. I got all three for $36 maybe 6 months ago. 8-) And the nice thing is, the prices on the first-pressing went down dramatically after they were reissued. Collectors who want first-pressings must be happy too!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Just because it's scarce doesn't mean you're paying ridiculous prices for it.
    Collectibility aside, if there's an album I don't enjoy as much as I used to, it's nice that I can get rid of it for nearly the price that I bought it for.

There's many reasons to enjoy vinyl, and scarcity is one piece of the puzzle.
    Okay, you seem to like that... but I think you're in the minority there. I think most people just want to be able to afford the albums they want to spin. And if you're talking PJ vinyl (and most other desirable music as far as I've been able to tell), scarcity DOES mean high prices.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Mango wrote:

Ten, Vs, and Vitalogy have already been reissued. I got all three for $36 maybe 6 months ago. 8-) And the nice thing is, the prices on the first-pressing went down dramatically after they were reissued. Collectors who want first-pressings must be happy too!

the first three albums were always quite easy to find for a reasonable price. I got all of them at my local, no problem. I have never seen any of the others though except BS.

I don't think the prices of the first issues will drop too much, if the rest are re-issued. Maybe a bit at first when flippers panic, but in the long run it will even out. There are still people trying to flip PJ Blu Rays for $300 and a re-issue is available for $40. I know it's not vinyl but it's the same principle.
  • Options
    MangoMango Brisbane, Australia (via Dublin, Ireland) Posts: 1,049
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Exactly so I don't see why 10c would even dream of re-releasing these. There has been loads of re-issues and its widely available. I'm a collector of PJ music and I hunt down stuff I need as hard as I can like a lot of people on this board. I have some stuff that, lets say, the majority might not have but would want. Do I see a problem if they re-issue it and so reduce my originals worth? Personally, not at all. I don't collect to sell. I'm happy for more people to have more of the stuff they like.
    "Life comes from within your heart and desire"
  • Options
    eyejacker wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Mango wrote:

the first three albums were always quite easy to find for a reasonable price. I got all of them at my local, no problem. I have never seen any of the others though except BS.

I don't think the prices of the first issues will drop too much, if the rest are re-issued. Maybe a bit at first when flippers panic, but in the long run it will even out. There are still people trying to flip PJ Blu Rays for $300 and a re-issue is available for $40. I know it's not vinyl but it's the same principle.
    It is the same principle... but are people actually buying those $300 blue rays now?? I know they're posted, but I don't think they're selling anymore, really. Well, anyway, we shall see! I definitely think prices will go down as the albums are reissued. First pressing will still cost a premium, but nowhere near what they're going for now I don't think. But hey, if they don't, makes no diff to me - I would never get a first pressing if I could get a reissue for a fraction of the price (although this stupid double-LP shit continues, I will pay more for a first pressing if it's not too much).
  • Options
    Mango wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Exactly so I don't see why 10c would even dream of re-releasing these. There has been loads of re-issues and its widely available. I'm a collector of PJ music and I hunt down stuff I need as hard as I can like a lot of people on this board. I have some stuff that, lets say, the majority might not have but would want. Do I see a problem if they re-issue it and so reduce my originals worth? Personally, not at all. I don't collect to sell. I'm happy for more people to have more of the stuff they like.
    :?: They're not dreaming of re-releasing them... because they've already been re-released. They've got 3 out of the way - a bunch more to go.
    I'm with you on the attitude of scarcity. Aside from the prices, I want as many people as possible to have the vinyl. :)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    It is the same principle... but are people actually buying those $300 blue rays now?? I know they're posted, but I don't think they're selling anymore, really. Well, anyway, we shall see! I definitely think prices will go down as the albums are reissued. First pressing will still cost a premium, but nowhere near what they're going for now I don't think. But hey, if they don't, makes no diff to me - I would never get a first pressing if I could get a reissue for a fraction of the price (although this stupid double-LP shit continues, I will pay more for a first pressing if it's not too much).

I hear you! 10C have to realize that everyone who collects will buy the re-issues. Even people who have the originals. I know I did it with the first 3. I then have a gap of 8 albums and Backspacer at the end.
    I just bought Yield last night on Discogs for $80 VG+/VG+ but I would have preferred to spend that here getting 3 albums :|